2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Bandon- Caddy or No Caddy

YoungJedi

Hey all,

I've read through basically every thread on Bandon and boy am I getting excited. My buddy buddy works for a major OEM and is bringing me out there next year for industry rates...so we get to stay and play extremely cheap.

That being said, money shouldn't be too much of an issue.

So I guess what i'm trying to ask is...Is it worth it to get a caddy? I have a range finder, and plan to get the yardage books anyway (I make/collect yardage books, so it will be a great souvenir nonetheless).

Does anyone have any strong opinions on getting a caddy or not?

I've read many a threads of people recommending certain people, but my question isn't who, it's yes or no? :)

Let me know what you think/what your experience has been.

All comments appreciated!

Waiting to have my cherry popped!

Signed,

Still a Bandon Virgin

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever playing a "bucket list" worthy golf course I've never understood why some people chose NOT to take a caddy. Not only does it add to the experience, but makes it so much easier to play multiple rounds. The only reason I understand people not taking a caddy is because they can't afford one. My opinion on that is stick to the local muni and don't play the expensive courses if you can't afford another $100 or so for a caddy.

IMHO Even though you have a range finder and yardage books. You evidently have never played the course. A caddy with extensive local knowledge would be a big help and would enhance the enjoyment of the round. Range finders and yardage books do not tell all of the story of any course especially one of that caliber

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I recommend taking a caddy, but get your own caddy rather than share one. If you don't specify in your request for a caddy, you could end up with a double-bagger. That's good for them because they make more money per loop, but not as good for you. It's best to have your own guy IMO.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

since 2001 I've played over 80 rounds at the resort without a caddie. (I just like finding my own way around a course.)

Sometimes fellow players have had caddies and they've been helpful on some greens, particularly Old Mac.

You're a good player, so unless you're playing 36+ holes daily or need assistance reading greens, a caddie isn't necessary.

But if you're getting a caddie, like dpb5031 said, get your own & don't share.

I don't take a caddie to keep costs down, plus I've played the courses enough to know them reasonably well, but if money is not a significant obstacle, then you'd be silly not to take one.

Agree that you should request a single, as double-baggers cost you the same and can be problematic if the other player is not of the same skill level.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Best of both worlds: do what we have done and get a group caddie. Cost was about $150 per foursome. They don't carry your bag, but you get the stories, the help with selecting lines off the tee and where to play approach shots, plus green reads. We've done that on each of our trips and it's worked out very well.

Bandon courses are an easy walk (with the exception of a spot or two on Trails), not at all penal, and with a few exceptions the holes are wholly laid out in front of you. So IMHO it's more about whether you want a 'caddie experience' with your golf or not.

I've played 30+ rounds there on 5 trips and not used a caddie and we've never once said, hmm... maybe should have had someone loop for us today. TBH I don't want the interference, just me and my mates playing the most fun public access golf in the US.

We've been other places over the years where a caddie has been a welcome addition and unfortunately places where they've not. I've played with a few caddies at Bandon and had a few in groups when paired up and they've all come across as stand up guys and gals, so I am sure they're all good pros, so I doubt you'll get a bad one if you choose to go that way.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I'm interested in this single vs double bagger. I'm going for the first time with a buddy in April. We will have a caddy the first round at each course. In reading the many threads and talking with caddy services at Bandon its my sense that in the busier times of the year double bagging by the more senior caddies is the norm. And if you want a single caddy you may not get who you request because the better caddies can chose their customers and will go with a double bag round. Is this a correct assessment?

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1451563112' post='12783802']
Whenever playing a "bucket list" worthy golf course I've never understood why some people chose NOT to take a caddy. Not only does it add to the experience, but makes it so much easier to play multiple rounds. The only reason I understand people not taking a caddy is because they can't afford one. My opinion on that is stick to the local muni and don't play the expensive courses if you can't afford another $100 or so for a caddy.
[/quote]

The right caddie improves the day, but the wrong caddie can actually take away from the experience. At Bandon we once a caddy that was so hung over he fell asleep tending the pin more than once. All he was good for was carrying a bag and we did not need that.

Also if you are not used to having a caddy for some people it might make them uncomfortable and hurt their enjoyment of the day.

At the end of the day you are paying some random person to walk around with you all day - some times this is great and other times not so much.

I walk and carry my bag 95% of the time so I never found it made much of a difference to have some else lug my bag around.

Specific to Bandon I don't think you need a caddy, but a good one does help.

[quote name='mtufenk' timestamp='1451608964' post='12786410']
I'm interested in this single vs double bagger. I'm going for the first time with a buddy in April. We will have a caddy the first round at each course. In reading the many threads and talking with caddy services at Bandon its my sense that in the busier times of the year double bagging by the more senior caddies is the norm. And if you want a single caddy you may not get who you request because the better caddies can chose their customers and will go with a double bag round. Is this a correct assessment?
[/quote]

Yes. Also the better caddies will look for 2 loops in one day (Ie a morning double bag and an afternoon double bag)

[quote name='Matt J' timestamp='1451613321' post='12786688']
I wouldn't double bag a guy. Get a cart, ask him to read your putts and tip double. This ain't the Great Depression. ;)
[/quote]

They want to double bag. They get paid per bag, so carrying two bags = double the money for them. During the busy season they pretty much only double bag

[quote name='2bGood' timestamp='1451613065' post='12786670']
[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1451563112' post='12783802']
[/quote]

The right caddie improves the day, but the wrong caddie can actually take away from the experience. At Bandon we once a caddy that was so hung over he fell asleep tending the pin more than once. All he was good for was carrying a bag and we did not need that.

Also if you are not used to having a caddy for some people it might make them uncomfortable and hurt their enjoyment of the day.

At the end of the day you are paying some random person to walk around with you all day - some times this is great and other times not so much.

I walk and carry my bag 95% of the time so I never found it made much of a difference to have some else lug my bag around.

Specific to Bandon I don't think you need a caddy, but a good one does help.
[/quote]

A few good points in here.

First, one of the things Bandon does is that when you get a caddie for your trip, he's your caddie for all your rounds. I think that's a good thing - he gets to know your game and, if you like him, you know you've got a caddie you like for the rest of the trip.

We had one caddie that our group didn't like - and we asked that he be replaced. He spent almost all his time working with one guy in our group, to the point where there were several times that I was off the fairway, needed a line or yardage to help pick my way along, and he was 100 yards up ahead chatting about swing plane with this guy. There were multiple instances of that, so we asked that he be replaced. Bandon did so, we were delighted with the replacement (as we have been with all our caddies, except that one) and the trip was (in my opinion) enhanced by having them.

I will say that there's one downside to a group caddie - at least, there have been for my groups. Everybody seems to want to wait for the "master green reader" to magically find the line they cannot ;-) As a result, it slowed us down - not because we were playing slowly tee-to-green, but because everybody took their turn waiting for the caddie to read their putt(s). But we talked about this as a group and it improved - but it still seemed to be a bit of an issue over the course of all three trips.

"First, one of the things Bandon does is that when you get a caddie for your trip, he's your caddie for all your rounds. I think that's a good thing - he gets to know your game and, if you like him, you know you've got a caddie you like for the rest of the trip." this is a good point.

[quote name='mtufenk' timestamp='1451608964' post='12786410']
[/quote]
Yes and no. Senior caddies can and sometimes do choose their clientele (for various reasons). However, should a caddie refuse to draw a loop the director of cadding services will inquire as to the reason for refusal and note said refusal. Continual refusals can put a good standing caddie in jepordy of loosing seniority. Double bagging is becoming more popular with caddies for the simple reason of tips. If guest have a reasonable knowledge of the course layout and personal expectations caddy services will recommend double bagging especially when staffing shortages occur. But; if your a first timer, I would encourage a caddie/looper. It will make the journey more of a pleasure and less stressful.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

It's a big property and double bagging can slow you down. I often found myself just grabbing a handful of clubs along with my rang finder and walking to my ball and hitting my next shot unassisted because I didn't want to slow things up waiting for the caddy. The fee is the same per bag, yet you're getting less than full service if your caddy double bags, no matter how good the guy is. Our caddy double bagged the first round, but after that my buddy and I requested, and each had our own. It was much better. We also tipped extra at the end knowing these guys were making less money by single bagging for us.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I think during the busy season, Bandon doesn't always have enough caddies so they require double bagging.

Most caddies prefer this, as they make more money, even if the golfer experience is diminished.

My group tends to go off season and the caddie master always tries to get us to double bag, but we refuse and get individual caddies for each player.

I remember my first time at Bandon in 1999, I had never had used a caddie before, but my friend insisted that we both get one.

We were scheduled to play Bandon Dunes twice, once in the afternoon, and then again the next morning. The course can play differently at different times of the day.

On #12 (the 175 yd par 3), I remember the first time we played it, my caddie gave me driver and told me I might not make it (I didn't). The next morning, he handed me my 4 iron and told me to swing easy....

It was an amazing experience to have an experienced caddie at such a unique property. I have had the same guy for 10 years....

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

I got a caddie for one of my 6 rounds at Bandon Dunes, when I played Bandon Trails. We really didn't "mesh" well, and other than keeping my clubs dry when the rain come and went, I didn't see much value in the service. They have great rickshaws that can get you over any terrain at the complex and the yardage books are great. When I go back, I won't bother with a loop.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

If money weren't an issue, I'd probably get a caddie. Especially since you're a very good player and will likely want and be able to take advantage of what a good caddie can bring to your round.

That said, I'm a mid single capper who doesn't care that I drop a shot here or there due to course ignorance. And, I've always gone with a group that I love playing with, so we have our own dynamic, not always focused on playing our best golf or needing other people to stimulate our experience.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

I got a caddie for one of my 6 rounds at Bandon Dunes, when I played Bandon Trails. We really didn't "mesh" well, and other than keeping my clubs dry when the rain come and went, I didn't see much value in the service. They have great rickshaws that can get you over any terrain at the complex and the yardage books are great. When I go back, I won't bother with a loop.

Always got take QMany's input serious. Appreciate the comment my man! Will definitely take into consideration!

If money weren't an issue, I'd probably get a caddie. Especially since you're a very good player and will likely want and be able to take advantage of what a good caddie can bring to your round.

That said, I'm a mid single capper who doesn't care that I drop a shot here or there due to course ignorance. And, I've always gone with a group that I love playing with, so we have our own dynamic, not always focused on playing our best golf or needing other people to stimulate our experience.

Great input as well! Thanks!

I'll only be going with 3 other guys. 2 OEM reps (good friends and great players) and one of the reps dads. It will be a mix of good play and fun, so I'll still want to be focused but enjoy the time. Maybe I'll try a caddy once and go from there! Lol

I didn't use a caddy and didn't find myself needing one, aside from helping me find lost balls or unusual breaks on the greens. I bought all the yardage books a month before our trip and went through them and also read all course/hole views I could find, especially ones with pictures. I liked http://tigergolftraveler.com/2015/08/10/bandon-dunes/ because it showed pictures from the tee.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

Double bagging doesn't always give the guest a lesser experience. When you're shot instructions are short and sweet it makes it much easier to execute. IMO any guest will benefit from a good caddie out at Bandon, especially if you don't have much experience in true links golf. I never had a bad experience while double bagging, you put on a few extra miles but both of my players would get all the information they would need. Unless you're way off the beaten path, chances are your caddie has seen the shot you're about to play and doesn't take them long to figure out what you should do. My opinion is a little bias though :)

I've played Bandon a few times, and the only time when I felt I needed a caddy it probably wouldn't have helped much anyway. That was when I played in the fog.

I'm with the the poster above who said that caddies are an intrusion into your group dynamic. I've hired caddies at St. Andrews, during tournaments at local courses around here and once at Chambers Bay. Sometimes it's nice but other times you'll wish you hadn't done so.

At Chambers it was a double-bag deal, and after a few holes I ended up carrying my own bag instead waiting for the other guy to make his shot all the way around. I liked the caddy a lot, but the double-bag didn't work for me. It loused up the natural rhythm of the game for me.

To the richer than thou poster above, spend your money how you like, but save your mean-spirited advice ("stick to the local muni"). Really?

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec