2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying like crazy to make my GLS better than my G30 LS, and can't do it.......It's not longer, straighter, and in my mind, doesn't sound any better.

That's not what I wanted to hear

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

I am trying like crazy to make my GLS better than my G30 LS, and can't do it.......It's not longer, straighter, and in my mind, doesn't sound any better.

Same for me as well. Staying with G30LS

s***!!! Just got mine today from BST. Never hit. Thank God I didn't sell my Aeroburner TP. I have to at least try it now, unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse :)

s***!!! Just got mine today from BST. Never hit. Thank God I didn't sell my Aeroburner TP. I have to at least try it now, unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse :)

Don't get me wrong, I could play it in a minuet, but can't get it to do any more than the G30LS. Obviously, some others are having different results.

Don't get me wrong, I could play it in a minuet, but can't get it to do any more than the G30LS. Obviously, some others are having different results.

Just like Crossfield's videos. The guy hits everything 265. There are no miracles. I am assuming it will be like everything Ping does and be a slight improvement. Too be honest I really like the crown.....looks mean to me. I also went up in loft from last years LS to be able to dial it down a little and open the face. I am going across the state to play World Woods this weekend. Will be a good test.

Just like Crossfield's videos. The guy hits everything 265. There are no miracles. I am assuming it will be like everything Ping does and be a slight improvement. Too be honest I really like the crown.....looks mean to me. I also went up in loft from last years LS to be able to dial it down a little and open the face. I am going across the state to play World Woods this weekend. Will be a good test.

I agree too that it looks better but with kids in college I'll save the coin and look at my old turbulators for another year or 2 with performance the same for me. Does look very 'mean'. heard another WXR gent call it "what batman would be playing"....thought that nailed it.

I hit both the G and GLS on the monitor a couple of weeks ago. The 10.5* gave me a 15* launch in both heads with 2200-2500 spin in the G and 1800-2000 spin in the LS. The G is a bit more forgiving though, but the LS is still forgiving enough.

Tomorrow, I'm ordering a G or GLS, but want to make sure I get the right one. The easy answer and the path of least resistance is to get the 10.5* G and call it a day. I'm sure I'd be happy with it.

BUT, I loved the low spin of the LS version, only I don't like the right bias that it has. I wonder if Ping WRX would make a G LS at D3 SW with a neutral club face?

The face is neutral just pay to have WRX put 7--8 grams of Hot Melt in the toe. Cheap and effective.

Wrong way around. Putting more weight in the toe will make it fade biased, so unless he is a lefty it will hit it even further right

Wrong as well. In order to effectively move a bias in either direction with hot melt, the amount of weight needed in the head would make the drive unplayable. 7g will not change directional bias...ask Tom Wishon.

I hit both the G and GLS on the monitor a couple of weeks ago. The 10.5* gave me a 15* launch in both heads with 2200-2500 spin in the G and 1800-2000 spin in the LS. The G is a bit more forgiving though, but the LS is still forgiving enough.

Tomorrow, I'm ordering a G or GLS, but want to make sure I get the right one. The easy answer and the path of least resistance is to get the 10.5* G and call it a day. I'm sure I'd be happy with it.

BUT, I loved the low spin of the LS version, only I don't like the right bias that it has. I wonder if Ping WRX would make a G LS at D3 SW with a neutral club face?

The face is neutral just pay to have WRX put 7--8 grams of Hot Melt in the toe. Cheap and effective.

Wrong way around. Putting more weight in the toe will make it fade biased, so unless he is a lefty it will hit it even further right

Wrong as well. In order to effectively move a bias in either direction with hot melt, the amount of weight needed in the head would make the drive unplayable. 7g will not change directional bias...ask Tom Wishon.

Not to create an argument here but I'd disagree. The SLDR with it's weight movements was dramatic when moving weight toward the toe vs heel. Just my expierence. Still the longest driver I've ever played but could not avoid the hard left shot. Finnally moved weight all the way to fade setting and added 6 grams of lead tape to toe and alleviated the leftist tendacies of that driver.

I've decided to get a G and then if I want to experiment down the road, I'll grab an LS. I can see this LS experiment ending badly.

However, I did contact Ping and they said that they could get me a neutral-faced LS if I wanted. Damn, they're good! Successful American, family-owned company can have my money any day of the week and twice on Sunday. :)

I thought about it more... For my swing, the G is nearly as long as the LS and is certainly straighter. I'll gladly give up a few yards to be in the short grass any.

I've decided to get a G and then if I want to experiment down the road, I'll grab an LS. I can see this LS experiment ending badly.

However, I did contact Ping and they said that they could get me a neutral-faced LS if I wanted. Damn, they're good! Successful American, family-owned company can have my money any day of the week and twice on Sunday. :)

I thought about it more... For my swing, the G is nearly as long as the LS and is certainly straighter. I'll gladly give up a few yards to be in the short grass any.

I'm sitting here right now with a G and a GLS, and my testing shows the face angle the same on both and the both seem to be square.

The sldr and moveable weights are different than just adding lead tape. Sliding weights and moveable weights are discretionary and move weight from one part of the club to another. That is different than just adding weight to one part of the club and does affect ball flight.

Ping G430 Max 10K digitally lofted 8.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue Velo+ 6X
Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 15 degree Diamana BF 70tx
Callaway Apex UW 19 GD AD TP-8x
Ping iCrossover 4 GD AD IZ-95x, Mizuno Pro 225 5 iron, Mizuno Pro 223 6-G Project X LZ Blackout 6.5
TM MG3 56 TW grind DG TI X100, TM MG4 60 SB C grind DG TI S400
LAB GOLF MEZZ1 LAB golf TPT shaft

I agree with these latter posts, I hit the g ls and G30 ls and to me the shape is almost identical and the sound was no different. If anyone says the numbers between the g and the comparable g30 are significantly different I'd be very surprised.

I was thinking of trying a g ls this year but the sound to my ears was still as loud as my G30 and numbers weren't much different at all. I'm not a real high spin guy so the ls hurts me a lot on poor strikes, I'm sticking with g30 for a while I think it is the straightest driver I've ever hit.

The sldr and moveable weights are different than just adding lead tape. Sliding weights and moveable weights are discretionary and move weight from one part of the club to another. That is different than just adding weight to one part of the club and does affect ball flight.

If you say so. My experience was quite different. Until lead tape was added to the toe it was a problem. Lead tape aided dramatically to helping straiten out the SLDR. To each his own however. Problem was an occasional righty came into play due to the tape which was never a problem before...anyway glad to have gotten rid of the SLDR and rejoin team Ping...which brings me back on topic. Love the G30LS

I'm sitting here right now with a G and a GLS, and my testing shows the face angle the same on both and the both seem to be square.

Hmmm... I thought the review on this site said that the LS was 1* open. I'm sure they are not all 100% perfect. We'd need a Tour Issue head for that ! ;) :)

Heck, I may just flip a coin between G and GLS and order the one that wins the toss. Both are winners for me.

Of course they can! They're both square, it's the internal weighting that's different that creates the directional bias.

Hmmm... I thought the review on this site said that the LS was 1* open. I'm sure they are not all 100% perfect. We'd need a Tour Issue head for that ! ;) :)

Heck, I may just flip a coin between G and GLS and order the one that wins the toss. Both are winners for me.

They did the same thing when the G30 LS came out on here. Published an article stating the face angle was 1* open when it was actually square. The entire G30 line had a square face, with weight moved to create the bias. I wouldn't be surprised the if the G line retains this design and WRX's article has it mixed up again.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

My testing isn't exactly scientific......

They did the same thing when the G30 LS came out on here. Published an article stating the face angle was 1* open when it was actually square. The entire G30 line had a square face, with weight moved to create the bias. I wouldn't be surprised the if the G line retains this design and WRX's article has it mixed up again.

Yeah, it sounds like this may have happened again.

So trying to decide between a G 10.5 and G LS 10.5. I m actually thinking of going G since I will be sending it to Will Peoples to have some hot melt added which I can have done towards the face to bring down the launch and spin a bit. But would I still be getting the MOI benefits of the G if im messing with the COG by using hot melt?

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

Not to create an argument here but I'd disagree. The SLDR with it's weight movements was dramatic when moving weight toward the toe vs heel. Just my expierence. Still the longest driver I've ever played but could not avoid the hard left shot. Finnally moved weight all the way to fade setting and added 6 grams of lead tape to toe and alleviated the leftist tendacies of that driver.

Building on Gibby777's response, the stock weight in the SLDR was, I believe, 16g. When moving that weight around you were effectively taking away 16g from one area and adding it to another.

In the example above, you are only adding 7-8g hotmelt in one area, that is far below the effective 32g of weight differential when adjusting the SLDR.

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

I've hit the G and GLS against my i25 at Golftown on several occasions and the GLS seems like the clear winner. The next best club for me was the M1 but it wasn't nearly as consistent (not properly fit?).

PING G425 Max 9* @ 7.5* PING Tour 65s
PING G425 Max 3w PING Tour 75s
PING G425 22 PING Tour 85s
PING i210 4-pw DG120 S300
PING Glide 3.0 54s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 58
Taylormade Spider Tour S 35"

I've hit the G and GLS against my i25 at Golftown on several occasions and the GLS seems like the clear winner. The next best club for me was the M1 but it wasn't nearly as consistent (not properly fit?).

Spin on the i25 seems out of this world high. Were you properly fit for that shaft?

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

I was part of the Gear Trials and the G LS was one of my final 3, it was 10.5* with the AD DI 7X shaft at 44.5", it was easy to hit, very forgiving and accurate, not the longest of the bunch but very nice indeed, I am a Callaway guy and this driver really surprised me...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Spin on the i25 seems out of this world high. Were you properly fit for that shaft?

My gamer shaft is a Tour 65x but that day at Golftown I had the TFC800D in it. I've hit my i25 on flightscope quite a bit and the spin numbers hover around 3000 depending on the day. I tend to hit it a little low on the face and towards the toe which doesn't help. That being said I hit the GLS on the same day and in the same launch monitor at Golftown and the spin numbers were drastically different. The numbers I posted are averages from quite a few hits after warming up.

PING G425 Max 9* @ 7.5* PING Tour 65s
PING G425 Max 3w PING Tour 75s
PING G425 22 PING Tour 85s
PING i210 4-pw DG120 S300
PING Glide 3.0 54s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 58
Taylormade Spider Tour S 35"

My gamer shaft is a Tour 65x but that day at Golftown I had the TFC800D in it. I've hit my i25 on flightscope quite a bit and the spin numbers hover around 3000 depending on the day. I tend to hit it a little low on the face and towards the toe which doesn't help. That being said I hit the GLS on the same day and in the same launch monitor at Golftown and the spin numbers were drastically different. The numbers I posted are averages from quite a few hits after warming up.

Roger that. Guess it just shows different stroked for different folks. My i25 is consistently sub 2200 for me. In all honesty I probably wouldn't gain much going to the G30 or G but........

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

Drudersh

You mess with the G yet? No weathers been tough on both of us last 6 weeks. Curious to hear your opinion.

Haven't had a chance to hit it yet. I started losing my LS Tec to the right too often last season. Actually picked up a G25 to mess around with and see what I will be more consistent with. I'll be trying that up against the G LS. If it's less fade biased, I'll bag the G for the year, but if I have the same trouble turning it over as I did with the G30 LS Tec I may go back to the G25 give up a few yards and just find fairways.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball