2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

Peter Finch crushed the new G Ls Tec over 350 yds today on his LM (hope this link works)

https://www.instagra.../p/BAhTW28sQYa/

I just ordered it in Tour 65 stiff shaft, 9* head, std std, fitted to play it at 9+, also ordered a Cobra F6+ Pro with stiff shaft

These guys Finch and Shiels...

319 carry, 171 ball speed? Really? That is not possible?

171 ball speed is going to yield ~300 carry, IF the launch angle is near perfection, and total distance is going to be near 320 range. So GC2 says 350+.

So GC2 not only wildly exaggerates carry, but the ball must be hitting hard desert fairway to get 30+ yards roll. Its not reality. Doesn't everyone know this by now? Reviews on GC2 are not valid, except for spin, launch angle, etc. Distance is not correct with low spin.

PGA Tour pros are doing ~180 and BARELY carrying 300. Barely.

And common sense tells us, these boys KNOW all this, and how do they know?

Because they HAVE A FLIGHTSCOPE SITTING THERE, in plain sight in all their videos recently. So they know all their "reviews" are nonsense numbers. Because otherwise, they would use a real LM, called Flightscope, or Trackman.

They get ALL excited looking at false numbers. Its like an insane asylum or something. haha KOO KOO KOO KOO

Take it for what it is: comedy relief and decent entertainment. If you want real numbers, go to Crossfield. More or less

In b4 Rick Shiels homers start getting defensive

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its no wonder these guys are getting manufacturers paying them attention, free stuff, etc. The Manufacturers that make low spin drivers are going to look like they created a MONSTER driver. But, if you watch Crossfield, or people that hit most all drivers above ~2k spin, where GC2 isn't so bad, its funny to see nearly every single driver on the market for the last several YEARS, without 10 yards of each other. And that is not from the spin, its from strike and launch angle.

I would guess, if we did a test? A LM device you can get for like <$200 could be a better gauge of total distance than the GC2. Think about that. Think about it. You could literally get a $100 radar device, multiply the speed by 1.45, get your ball speed, go to flightscope free online tool, and maybe get more realistic carry distance, just guessing the spin, than GC2. Think about that.

These guys need a head doctor or something. I think its huge entertainment watching them jump around like circus animals when they hit a "HUGE" shot. LOL

I think its no wonder these guys are getting manufacturers paying them attention, free stuff, etc. The Manufacturers that make low spin drivers are going to look like they created a MONSTER driver. But, if you watch Crossfield, or people that hit most all drivers above ~2k spin, where GC2 isn't so bad, its funny to see nearly every single driver on the market for the last several YEARS, without 10 yards of each other. And that is not from the spin, its from strike and launch angle.

I would guess, if we did a test? A LM device you can get for like <$200 could be a better gauge of total distance than the GC2. Think about that. Think about it. You could literally get a $100 radar device, multiply the speed by 1.45, get your ball speed, go to flightscope free online tool, and maybe get more realistic carry distance, just guessing the spin, than GC2. Think about that.

These guys need a head doctor or something. I think its huge entertainment watching them jump around like circus animals when they hit a "HUGE" shot. LOL

What is the point of gaming the numbers from Foresight's perspective? Has anyone looked into this?

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100TI
Cleveland Zipcore 50*Mid & 54*Mid

TM Hi-Toe 60*

Odyssey O-Works Black #1

Tried the G series drivers at Golftown along with my G30 ls tec all using tour 65 shaft in X flex. Here are some quick observations. I am a 4 index player.

G30 ls tec, 9 deg set to 7 deg: average 109 swing speed (110 max), my gamer.

G ls tec, 9 deg set to 8 deg: average 110 swing speed (112 max). Same sound as g30 ls tec. I would agree that spin is very slightly lower but some shots were higher spin than g30. Distances were very similar to g30. Set at -1 the face sits more square (closed) than the g30 and I felt it was easier to draw/get left. The driver head looks taller and also a bit shorter heel to toe, although set side by side they seem to measure the same. I would say the g is marginally better than the g30.

G sf tec, 10 deg set to 9 deg. Defiantly easier to draw/fades less. Spins about 1000 rpm more than ls tec.

G, 9 deg set to 8 deg. Spins about 1000 rpm more than ls tec. Sounds more muted than g30 or either ls tec.

Did you see less distance out of the sf vs standard g?

I didn't hit enough of these 2 side by side but from what I remember they were pretty similar.

Tried the G series drivers at Golftown along with my G30 ls tec all using tour 65 shaft in X flex. Here are some quick observations. I am a 4 index player.

G30 ls tec, 9 deg set to 7 deg: average 109 swing speed (110 max), my gamer.

G ls tec, 9 deg set to 8 deg: average 110 swing speed (112 max). Same sound as g30 ls tec. I would agree that spin is very slightly lower but some shots were higher spin than g30. Distances were very similar to g30. Set at -1 the face sits more square (closed) than the g30 and I felt it was easier to draw/get left. The driver head looks taller and also a bit shorter heel to toe, although set side by side they seem to measure the same. I would say the g is marginally better than the g30.

G sf tec, 10 deg set to 9 deg. Defiantly easier to draw/fades less. Spins about 1000 rpm more than ls tec.

G, 9 deg set to 8 deg. Spins about 1000 rpm more than ls tec. Sounds more muted than g30 or either ls tec.

I'm surprised you are getting 1,000 RPM more out of the G vs. G LS Tec. That's a ton of spin reduction.

My spin numbers varied on each club between 2,000 for a low draw (11 deg launch) to 3,600 for a high fade (15 deg launch). Because I was trying to hit different shots and of course depending on point of contact on the face, I estimated about 1,000 rpm reduction with the ls tec. Does this seem reasonable? I would guess I'm a high spin player because these numbers come using an 8 deg head with an X tour shaft.. I would love to have slower spin numbers.

My spin numbers varied on each club between 2,000 for a low draw (11 deg launch) to 3,600 for a high fade (15 deg launch). Because I was trying to hit different shots and of course depending on point of contact on the face, I estimated about 1,000 rpm reduction with the ls tec. Does this seem reasonable? I would guess I'm a high spin player because these numbers come using an 8 deg head with an X tour shaft.. I would love to have slower spin numbers.

I've always read 400 RPM difference, and the review on the front page was lower than that. BUT, it's your swing, and that's all that matters. So, if you are seeing that big of a reduction it must be something.

I've always read 400 RPM difference, and the review on the front page was lower than that. BUT, it's your swing, and that's all that matters. So, if you are seeing that big of a reduction it must be something.

Let's call it an unscientific estimate :)

Just hit the G LST driver last weekend side by side with the G30 LST, Tour 65X shaft in both. The new one outperformed the G30 by far, almost 15 yards. Spin was about 300 rpms less than the G30, and clubhead speed up about 1mph, as advertised. But ball speed was much higher, at least for me, up into the 170s (which is rare for me). I was set on a Great Big Bertha, but now I might need to reconsider.

[b]Driver:[/b] Ping G LST 9*, Tour 65 X

[b]Fairway:[/b] Srixon Z-Star 15*, Aldila VS Proto 70X

[b]Hybrid:[/b] Adams Pro A12 19*, Aldila VS Proto 80X

[b]Irons:[/b] Cleveland 588 Forged CB 4-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X-100

[b]Wedges:[/b] Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind 52* (bent to 50*), Mack Daddy 2 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold S400

[b]Putter:[/b] Nike Method Core 003i

For the poster asking about NYC stores having the G demos - they now do have them at the golfsmith on 54th street. They have the whole lineup of woods and the irons as well.

Thanks....I'll stop in tomorrow.

Just saw all the stuff at Golfsmith on 54th. I'll probably order the LS Tec. Liked the way it sat slightly open at address. The G looked real closed to my eye.

This "Alta" shaft is a derivative of what?

Fairway woods look OK. Like the "Stretch."

I could even see myself playing the G iron or at least a G / I combo set.

I hit the G LSTec yesterday and was bombing it straight. The feel wasn't quite there with the King LTD Pro for me, but you can't argue with 285 carry straight down the middle almost every single time. I was consistently getting 118-120mph SS on the monitor with the G series with the 65x shaft, while only 116-118mph with the LTD Pro and a Matrix Lite shaft. Call me crazy but maybe the Turbulators and Vortec really do work...

The sound doesn't bother me at all, actually. The feel was good as well. Strange though, because I wasn't a huge fan of the G30 when I tried it. This driver may go on my PPL 'potential purchase list' with the LTD Pro and XR.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

I will agree that the Ball Speed / Distance numbers on some of the YouTube reviews don't match. However, don't forget that Rick's LA is usually ~14-15* with the driver, which is comparable to Bubba's; although his ball speed is usually in excess of 180mph.

Regardless, it's still comparing apples to apples because he uses the same LM & settings for each club, no?

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Pulled the trigger and pre ordered mine today.

I went with a 9 degree non LStec version with the tour 65 shaft.

Fingers crossed I hit it as good or better than my G25

Likewise! Standard G Tour 65x stock length, might cut it down to 45" once I get it as that's what I usually game but on flightscope I was around 161mph ball speed with 13 launch and 2200 spin. Really happy with a smash at 1.49 on 90% of the shots. Was spinning the LST in the 1700-1900 range.

I am going to test the stock Ping shafts, but I think I will end up using my Aldila Green ATX that I just love in my G25. I played that driver longer than any other, but skipped over the G30 mainly due to the sound. From what I hear (no pun intended), Ping has addressed some of the sound issue with the new G. I'm looking forward to testing them, along with the rest of the G line.

I am going to test the stock Ping shafts, but I think I will end up using my Aldila Green ATX that I just love in my G25. I played that driver longer than any other, but skipped over the G30 mainly due to the sound. From what I hear (no pun intended), Ping has addressed some of the sound issue with the new G. I'm looking forward to testing them, along with the rest of the G line.

The G definitely sounds better.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

I hit the LS Tec the other day, and this is going to be a big hit once the snow melts. Loft for loft, spin rates were only 100 rpm higher for me than a King LTD with a Black Tie. The Tour X is an excellent stock shaft and if it had a different paintjob and label people would be buying them up.

The club sounded fine but it definitely had a firmer feel than I'm used to. Pretty similar to PING's drivers since the G25 but a far cry from how they felt in the glued hosel days.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

The G definitely sounds better.

Sweet! Thanks GJ!

I'll agree with those here that the standard G sounds better than the G30 but the G LS Tec is still annoyingly loud. Granted I hit the LS Tec indoors but it still literally made my ears ring. Don't get me wrong, it's a great driver but there's no way it's a significant difference over the G30 LS Tec sound (or performance) wise. This coming from a die hard Ping guy.

Taylormade M2 9.5* @ 7.5* Rogue 110 Silver 60x
Taylormade M2 15* VTS Red 75x
Ping Rapture DI 18* VTS Silver 85x
Ping S55 3-PW PX Flighted 6.0
Ping Glide 52* SS & Glide 58* SS
Ping Anser Milled #6 35"

I hit the LS Tec the other day, and this is going to be a big hit once the snow melts. Loft for loft, spin rates were only 100 rpm higher for me than a King LTD with a Black Tie. The Tour X is an excellent stock shaft and if it had a different paintjob and label people would be buying them up.

The club sounded fine but it definitely had a firmer feel than I'm used to. Pretty similar to PING's drivers since the G25 but a far cry from how they felt in the glued hosel days.

Why on earth would that make any difference? People have a bag full of shiny shafts so what if there is one more?

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Why on earth would that make any difference? People have a bag full of shiny shafts so what if there is one more?

I think he was saying that the Tour Ping shaft is such a good shaft that if it was painted with the UST graphics, it would lose that connotation that it is a made for shaft and people would be buying them up more because it wouldn't be seen as a "made for" shaft.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Agreed to a certain extent but, any competent fitter could erase that concern.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

I will agree that the Ball Speed / Distance numbers on some of the YouTube reviews don't match. However, don't forget that Rick's LA is usually ~14-15* with the driver, which is comparable to Bubba's; although his ball speed is usually in excess of 180mph.

Regardless, it's still comparing apples to apples because he uses the same LM & settings for each club, no?

Hello, this is incorrect. It is NOT apples to apples because he is using the same LM. Not even close. Why?

One driver is say 2500 spin. Another is say 1500 spin. Both have same strike and good launch angles. Ball speed on both is the SAME. But guess what. The 1500 spin one is going to go unrealistically, WAY WAY farther, but in real life, it may go a few yards farther.

This is why its not applies to apples, because on GC2, whatever driver is lower spinning, everything else being equal will go farther. This is not reality. I think its REALLY entertaining, to watch these circus actors on youtube, hit a ball that falls out of the sky, with like 1200 spin, and then the GC2 says it was 300 yards. The 1200 spin shot, really, fell out of the sky...that is not enough spin to do anything good.

Flightscope tool. Trackman will be similar.

Shot 1:

2500 spin

168 ball speed

14 degrees launch angle

Flies about ~293 in the air.

Shot 2

1200 spin

168 ball speed

14 degrees launch angle

Flies about ~275 in the air. That is ~18 yards LESS.

But guess what? GC2 is way, way, way off.

This LM should be avoided, its not accurate for distance with Drivers. This is widely known, but circus acts on youtube jump for joy, because the LM says they can carry the ball 300+. Its funny...on their gamegolf stats, why doesn't the carry say 300+ consistently?

HMMM... we got a problem here, houston.. its called, GC2 is LOLZ

^^^^ You are correct.... I hit low launch 10-11*, spin 2600-2900 rpm (LM measured) with ball speeds around 150 mph avg and get similar total distance on course to my high launch 13-14*, 2200 rpm and similar ball speeds..... when they make a golf course where we use a machine requiring the ball to stop exactly where the carry lands will be the day I worry about carry...

Ok. All launch monitor bullxxxx aside. I played a full round with one today. 10 degree sft. Put my addi 6s in it. It is staying in the bag until mine comes in. Told my pro, he can't have it back until then.

It was colder than a well diggers a** today, and I was swinging about 70 percent of my normal swing which is about 80-90% of my swing speed.

At 70 percent I was hitting almost normal distances. And this was with wind howling.

This club is awesome. And I think it looks great.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Went to Golfsmith today to try out some drivers and kill time. They had some decent deals on demo clubs, and I hit a Nike Vapor, Callaway XR, G30, and a few more. FWIW my swing speed is around 95-100 with driver, so I generally use stiff shafts. They didn't have any used G30s with stiff shafts, and I wasn't getting good results with the R shaft they had used. It was also 10.5 loft. I was really liking the Vapor...almost pulled the trigger on a demo in nice shape for $130. On my way to the register I noticed they had a bag full of G demos. Grabbed a standard G, 9* with Tour 65 stiff shaft....incredible. I was hitting the Vapor ~230-240, fairly straight. When I hit a few with the G it was night and day.

Loved the feel...club head felt a bit heavier which I like. Mishits were very forgiving. And it was long...I was cracking ~250-260, and i wasn't making great contact (haven't played in a couple months now). It just felt right. I Think this will replace my aging 910D2 which has served me well.

So two questions:

Will the G30 drop significantly in price when the G comes out? The guy at Golfsmith didn't seem to think so since the G30 is already priced below what the G will list for. If I can pick up a new G30 for $100 or more less than the G, I might be persuaded. Otherwise I'm getting the G without question.

Worth getting fitted? I usually play 9* with stiff shafts, have never been fitted, but testing clubs seems to bear out that's a good combo for me. Any other opinions on Tour 65 shaft? They didn't have any standard shafts in stiff flex for me to try.

Hit the G LS TEC 9* today. Love the feel, the ball flight and actually the look wasn't distracting at all. The sound was definitely better than the G30, quite the improvement. Hit it alongside the M1 and Callaway 816 Alpha (not the DBD). Performance-wise the GBB and G were great the M1 was a notch below. Also hit the Cobra King LTD I think it was. Not a fan of the Cobra. The M1 was equal to the Ping G LS Tec from a feel and sound standpoint, but it just wasn't quite as "good" as the Ping or the GBB IMO.

The big hit of the day was the Callaway Apex Hybrid. That was the handsdown winner of the day. Three of us went to Carls Golfland in Plymouth, MI and hit a bunch of stuff. We all agreed the Apex Hybrid was a perfect club.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime