2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My G driver, fairway, hybrid and crossover will be delivered tomorrow according to UPS. Yippee!!

Can I ask when you ordered? Thanks

I put my equipment order in around the first of the year with my rep. However one of my member's G driver is also coming in tomorrow and I ordered it on Jan. 25

Today is tomorrow!! Let's hear some on course reviews!!

Today is tomorrow. They came in around 10:30 so I had a chance to take everything out on the course. Oh man, here we go...

Driver: Stupid easy to hit straight. Preferred shot shape is a baby cut, could play it so easily. Ball seemed to jump off the face and go forever. Sound was deeper than my G30 by a mile, really really solid sounding and feeling. We're gonna get along just fine.

Fairway: Again, stupid easy to hit. Only hit it once and it was off the tee but it was long and straight. Didn't have a chance to hit it off the deck in the few holes I played before being in the shop, but can see it being easier off the deck than the G30. Sounds just like the driver, lower pitched and not as loud but still powerful.

Hybrid: Looks like a hook machine to my eye, but did hit it a couple times and it flew dead straight. The new paint lines on the face make it easy to line up and the flight is good, especially on low strikes. Turbulators frame the face well, but other than that it didn't feel like I swung it any faster.

Crossover: I am going to love this club. Hit it both off the tee and off the deck and it was a dream in both situations. Can flight it high, low, mid, work it any direction I wanted. Hit my first shot off the toe and it produced a solid little draw that came straight back to the center of the fairway. Seemed like it carried it right between my hybrid and 4 iron on a normal swing, but could probably step on it to get it to my hybrid. What surprised me is the sound it made. Louder than an iron but softer than the hybrid. I have a feeling it's going to be an easy decision between the hybrid and crossover as to which one gets a bag spot.

All in all, very impressed with the new G line.Took the demo head out on Monday on my shaft and cranked one 391 (Game Golf certified and witnessed by 2 other players). It was downhill and downwind but it was smoked. Here's to hoping for many more like that one!

Alex

Is it longer than the G30.......Is it straighter than the G30?

I really want to try the new line. My wife will kill me if I buy anything new though (we're going to upgrade our TV soon).

Mike, I agree with you, the G30 line was ridiculously loud, especially the LS head. If the new G driver is anywhere near that, I would cotton ball it.

M2? UGH! But I believe you, there's a lot of TM drivers that sound and feel pretty good, I just don't think they can compete with the legendary G forgiveness. I'm interested to see if the spy site puts the M1 and M2 on that cg and spin chart. Also interested to see how the new G line compares to the G30 line. But yeah, wait a few months for the M2 to drop hehe.

For the posters that said the G LSTec is less fade biased than the previous version, I hope I get the same results when I demo. I find the G30 LS to be really hard to turn to the left. I'm actually thinking of going regular G with the tour stiff this time around. I want a bit more straight to draw flight and I think I could use a bit more spin. I have an ascending AoA and usually hit high on the face so I get really low spin with a launch of 14°-16°. It's just too high of a flight and too low spin. We'll see I guess.

To add to the posters that commented on the ratio of G to LS among players - those are some interesting thoughts. I do recall Marty saying the G is very popular among pros and amateurs alike because it's much better to go with the most stable head available and play it at a lower loft. This allows for higher ball speeds due to less deflection compared to higher lofts, and the deep and low cg allows for the gearing effect of the head to launch the ball high with low-ish spin.

Anyway, Ping f'ing rocks and I'm excited to try 'em out.

sound is improved 10 fold my man

its still a little more "tingy" but not near as hollow and aluminum bat sounding as last year

I like it a lot

the shape is the biggest improvement IMO

Is it longer than the G30.....Is it straighter than the G30?

I really want to try the new line. My wife will kill me if I buy anything new though (we're going to upgrade our TV soon).

Mike, I agree with you, the G30 line was ridiculously loud, especially the LS head. If the new G driver is anywhere near that, I would cotton ball it.

M2? UGH! But I believe you, there's a lot of TM drivers that sound and feel pretty good, I just don't think they can compete with the legendary G forgiveness. I'm interested to see if the spy site puts the M1 and M2 on that cg and spin chart. Also interested to see how the new G line compares to the G30 line. But yeah, wait a few months for the M2 to drop hehe.

For the posters that said the G LSTec is less fade biased than the previous version, I hope I get the same results when I demo. I find the G30 LS to be really hard to turn to the left. I'm actually thinking of going regular G with the tour stiff this time around. I want a bit more straight to draw flight and I think I could use a bit more spin. I have an ascending AoA and usually hit high on the face so I get really low spin with a launch of 14°-16°. It's just too high of a flight and too low spin. We'll see I guess.

To add to the posters that commented on the ratio of G to LS among players - those are some interesting thoughts. I do recall Marty saying the G is very popular among pros and amateurs alike because it's much better to go with the most stable head available and play it at a lower loft. This allows for higher ball speeds due to less deflection compared to higher lofts, and the deep and low cg allows for the gearing effect of the head to launch the ball high with low-ish spin.

its still a little more "tingy" but not near as hollow and aluminum bat sounding as last year

I like it a lot

The answer to both question is minimallys or no depending on the individual. I found no consistently measurable difference except for a slightly higher launch on a few shots.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

I like it a lot

The answer to both question is minimallys or no depending on the individual. I found no consistently measurable difference except for a slightly higher launch on a few shots.

That was my observation.....curious what others have found.

Although I am not a fan of the "dragonfly" look on the crown, I do like the shape of the G over the G30.

its different but hardly noticeable at address

now Bubba's driver is another story

Well I'll respectfully disagree, I'm with Peanut191. And I went into my demo thinking it wouldn't bother me.

Part of it for me it, that Ping could have just as easily hidden that stuff on the underside of the crown. I'm sure they felt a need to put it on display to show that G is more than a G30 tweak.

I like it a lot

Can't wait to try it!!!

TITLEIST TSR2 / TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

TM SIM2 Ti / MOTORE X F3 7S

PING G430 / 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i230 / 5-PW MODUS 115S

TITLEIST SM9 / 50F 54D 58D S200

TITLEIST FLOWBACK 5 / SPECIAL SELECT

Is it longer than the G30.......Is it straighter than the G30?

Longer - Maybe a little due to lower spin and better launch, but nothing crazy. Maybe 5 yards.

Straighter - Definitely. I don't know if the Vortec thing at the back actually works, but the head feels more stable throughout the swing.

PING G410 LST 9* (Weight neutral) - HZRDUS Black 6.5 
PING G410 14.5* LST - Tensei Pro Orange TX 70
PING Blueprint 3-Pw - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING Glide Forged (Ping Man stamps) - 50º/54º/58º - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING PLD Anser "Honey Badger"
Bridgestone Tour B XS

I don't know how a driver could be straighter than g30, I am debating whether to get the g lstec, I hit the regular g and didn't see any difference between my g30 in terms of results or feel. I didn't notice the head shape being that different either so I can't imagine many people going from G30 to the normal g at least based on performance

Just hit the 10.5 G at the store! Very nice. Is it me or is that Ping Tour 65 shaft no joke!! Feels solid and very stout in a stiff flex.

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

Did anyone go from the G30 LS Tec to the regular G this time around?

I went from the LS to the SF...

i am a 8 handicap, and I play a fade. but my miss is the big block (and it always still fades)

I demo'd a SF G30 and it was the best I have EVER hit a driver... so I swallowed my pride and ordered a digitally lofted 9.5 degree G SFT...

I have been playing a G SFT in 10 degrees and hitting it as far as i normally do but with a 60% swing. its just awesome... I hit it a little higher than I would like but i will adjust the new one down a half a degree to keep the face a little more square (i have hit a couple of hooky shots with this thing)

It feels great, and maybe I am weird but I love the sound and the look of it.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Did anyone go from the G30 LS Tec to the regular G this time around?

I went from the LS to the SF...

i am a 8 handicap, and I play a fade. but my miss is the big block (and it always still fades)

I demo'd a SF G30 and it was the best I have EVER hit a driver... so I swallowed my pride and ordered a digitally lofted 9.5 degree G SFT...

I have been playing a G SFT in 10 degrees and hitting it as far as i normally do but with a 60% swing. its just awesome... I hit it a little higher than I would like but i will adjust the new one down a half a degree to keep the face a little more square (i have hit a couple of hooky shots with this thing)

It feels great, and maybe I am weird but I love the sound and the look of it.

Just to play devils advocate here, but how can you order the digital lofting when you don't digitally know the loft of the SFT you were hitting?

Just because it makes me feel better... no reason other than that.

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Just because it makes me feel better... no reason other than that.

I figure that Pings margin for error is probably about 1/2 a degree. So if it was a 10, it could have been somewhere between 9.5 and 10.5

if it was a 9.5, i won't have to do any adjusting. if it was a 10.5, then i will really like the ball flight of mine.

:D

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

I was fortunate enough to be one of the chosen few to participate in this years WRX Gear Trials today.

We tested 29 drives against our gamers.

When all was said and done, the G LS edged out my current gamer, G30 LS, with same DI6 shaft. Greatest differences; G dispersion was tighter, a touch easier to turn over, and to me, looks and feels much better. It was also slightly longer, but only by a couple of yards.

As far as the other 28 tested... All a distant second place to both Ping offerings, for me.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Just hit the 10.5 G at the store! Very nice. Is it me or is that Ping Tour 65 shaft no joke!! Feels solid and very stout in a stiff flex.

agreed

I am usually between a S and X and can go either way depending on the brand

I took two swings w the Tour 65 X and knew right away the Stiff was enough shaft

it does feel good tho, I can feel it load and its pretty smooth IMO

I could be wrong, but I THOUGHT I read somewhere it was basically a VTS Silver ... someone correct me if this isn't right tho

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

agreed

I am usually between a S and X and can go either way depending on the brand

I took two swings w the Tour 65 X and knew right away the Stiff was enough shaft

it does feel good tho, I can feel it load and its pretty smooth IMO

I could be wrong, but I THOUGHT I read somewhere it was basically a VTS Silver ... someone correct me if this isn't right tho

I'd agree with what is said here however I switched over to the X shaft as I too often turned the S a little to far left on occasion. The X gives me a tighter dispersion with distance practically the same. I'm also that 102-106 guy. I think it has more to do with your transition and tempo as to which feels better to you.

I was fortunate enough to be one of the chosen few to participate in this years WRX Gear Trials today.

When all was said and done, the G LS edged out my current gamer, G30 LS, with same DI6 shaft. Greatest differences; G dispersion was tighter, a touch easier to turn over, and to me, looks and feels much better. It was also slightly longer, but only by a couple of yards.

As far as the other 28 tested... All a distance second place to both Ping offerings, for me.

I agree but curious to your thoughts on the Cobra offerings as they and Ping are usually very similar in performance with rear CG. Love my Ping 30 LS and always liked the Fly z series from Cobra as well. Any thoughts on the King as to how it compared?

As far as the other 28 tested... All a distance second place to both Ping offerings, for me.

I agree but curious to your thoughts on the Cobra offerings as they and Ping are usually very similar in performance with rear CG. Love my Ping 30 LS and always liked the Fly z series from Cobra as well. Any thoughts on the King as to how it compared?

3wood,

Yesterday I hit LTD, F6 and F6+... and liked them all. For me F6+ was worst of the bunch, which surprised me because Bio Cell+ is one of my all time favorite drivers.

Next to get knocked out was LTD. It did incredibly well yesterday with the high speed guys (105 mph and up) but non of us slower guys had much luck. Looks good, feels different and I really wanted to like it but with my speed (97-100 mph) it simply did not perform well. But I will say this, LTD was the shocker for he group and many guys got fit into is yesterday.

F6 made it to my final three. It felt good, had great ball speed and smash factors, but was simply less consistent than G LS and my G30 LS. I would bag F6 in a heartbeat had the G's not been on the radar.

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Great thread, been mulling the G30 LS since the M1 came out. In my own LM stats, the G30 LS 10.5 was a very close second to my M1 430, both stock. While I bought & game the M1, I always like to toy and with the release of the G LS, I think this is a great time to pick up a G30 LS & I did for around $200 with the Tour 65 shaft in a great condition. I can't see how the G, with the consensus here that its only marginally longer than the G30 LS, is worth the $400+ asking price new. I always like the Ping drivers especially the G20 which was a straight cannon and regretted BSTing that club, avoided the G25 and the G30 seem to draw me back to Ping again especially with the price dropping now.

The natural competitor to the G LS is the M2 and I did mull that & with the many TM shafts I have, that would have been a good buy but I can't walk away from the G30 LS deal that I saw. However, since the G and G30 have the same adapters, this time next year, I'll likely pickup up a G LS head to bang into the Ping shaft.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

My digitally lofted 9 degree G LS is in and ready for pickup!

So.... I will have a used digitally lofted 9 degree G30 LS head for sale very shortly, if any should be interested.

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I was able to hit the G LS Tec and SF Tec on a launch monitor with the ALTA and Tour 65 shafts. The ball explodes off the face - wow, a great feeling. Seems loud but I don't care. Also, hit a G30 which seemed heavier and boring; in fact, all the other drivers that I hit including the F6 seemed heavier and shorter. For what it's worth, this launch monitor showed me hitting the other drivers with a swing speed of 80 MPH and the G drivers showed closer to 85 MPH rate.

My only problem with the Ping G drivers (in the past) is that I don't consistently find the fairway whereas with my 2014 Big Bertha I'm more consistent. If Ping can add a moving weight thing in the back like Callaway, I'd take Ping more seriously.

ATTENTION:  Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice. 

Titleist u505 2 iron / Srixon ZX4 4 iron / Titleist 704.CB irons  / Titleist Wedges-S Grind / SeeMore M7x 

I was able to hit the G LS Tec and SF Tec on a launch monitor with the ALTA and Tour 65 shafts. The ball explodes off the face - wow, a great feeling. Seems loud but I don't care. Also, hit a G30 which seemed heavier and boring; in fact, all the other drivers that I hit including the F6 seemed heavier and shorter. For what it's worth, this launch monitor showed me hitting the other drivers with a swing speed of 80 MPH and the G drivers showed closer to 85 MPH rate.

My only problem with the Ping G drivers (in the past) is that I don't consistently find the fairway whereas with my 2014 Big Bertha I'm more consistent. If Ping can add a moving weight thing in the back like Callaway, I'd take Ping more seriously.

Thats a surprise, pretty sure any posted MOI numbers I've seen has Ping on top. Everyones different though!

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Having hit the G LST this weekend at the WRX Gear Trials, I can say the sound and feel are definitely improved over the G30. Performance-wise, there is little difference. Great driver, but no need to upgrade unless you just like to have the newest stuff, or if the sound of the G30 is a major problem for you.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x