Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

Drudersh

You mess with the G yet? No weathers been tough on both of us last 6 weeks. Curious to hear your opinion.

Haven't had a chance to hit it yet. I started losing my LS Tec to the right too often last season. Actually picked up a G25 to mess around with and see what I will be more consistent with. I'll be trying that up against the G LS. If it's less fade biased, I'll bag the G for the year, but if I have the same trouble turning it over as I did with the G30 LS Tec I may go back to the G25 give up a few yards and just find fairways.

Cool good luck. be interested to hear your views on the G.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final response to above thread about adding weight or moving weight and effect on direction.

I agree but sounds like a concession that adding weight to the toe or heel does have an effect on direction. This the creates a question of how much weight is required to have this effect. I'm no club builder but base my non scientific findings on performance on the course. The facts that the quick left of the SLDR was eradicated by adding additional weight to the toe was proven in my mind. In fact, my SLDR looked like a Sherman tank with about 15" of lead tape on the toe. Perhaps the weight only slowed my swing down enough where the toe wasn't coming through first but problem did go away (thanks for the idea WRX Bobcat)...really don't know nor care any longer since the G30 solved the original issue of being a more forgiving driver that I could never get through to a lot of TM people on these boards when discussing that issue. I think most agreed that the SLDR was a heel weighted club that the majority had similar issues with the occasional 'quick left'. I took some advice from others on here and by adding weight (by yes moving the weight more toward the toe) and adding additional lead tape to the toe to over emphasize this cured the problem for me. However the ultimate cure was ditching the club and it's design for a little more spin and a lot more forgiveness (perhaps the tape had nothing to do with it...but I believed it did). Anyway think we've gotten side tracked a little from this thread and beaten this to death...so I'll move on as Ping has produced a truly wonderful club for a vast array of golfers. I'll defer and go back to reading the G reviews as why I originally jumped on this thread.

I've hit the G and GLS against my i25 at Golftown on several occasions and the GLS seems like the clear winner. The next best club for me was the M1 but it wasn't nearly as consistent (not properly fit?).

Spin on the i25 seems out of this world high. Were you properly fit for that shaft?

There's a 1.5* loft difference which would help to explain that.

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100TI
Cleveland Zipcore 50*Mid & 54*Mid

TM Hi-Toe 60*

Odyssey O-Works Black #1

I've hit the G and GLS against my i25 at Golftown on several occasions and the GLS seems like the clear winner. The next best club for me was the M1 but it wasn't nearly as consistent (not properly fit?).

Spin on the i25 seems out of this world high. Were you properly fit for that shaft?

The difference in loft is a contributing factor for sure. If you notice the launch angle stayed roughly the same so I must have manipulated my AoA which I think changes the Spin Loft. Not to make things more confusing but I also tried the GLS in the ++ position and got slightly lower spin numbers with roughly the same launch angle. That probably defies logic and/or points out the inconsistencies in my swing. GLS 9* in ++ gave me the longest drives of anything I tried. The store didn't have a 10.5 GLS but I'm hoping to try one now that the club is officially launched.

PING G425 Max 9* @ 7.5* PING Tour 65s
PING G425 Max 3w PING Tour 75s
PING G425 22 PING Tour 85s
PING i210 4-pw DG120 S300
PING Glide 3.0 54s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 58
Taylormade Spider Tour S 35"

Final response to above thread about adding weight or moving weight and effect on direction.

I agree but sounds like a concession that adding weight to the toe or heel does have an effect on direction. This the creates a question of how much weight is required to have this effect. I'm no club builder but base my non scientific findings on performance on the course. The facts that the quick left of the SLDR was eradicated by adding additional weight to the toe was proven in my mind. In fact, my SLDR looked like a Sherman tank with about 15" of lead tape on the toe. Perhaps the weight only slowed my swing down enough where the toe wasn't coming through first but problem did go away (thanks for the idea WRX Bobcat)...really don't know nor care any longer since the G30 solved the original issue of being a more forgiving driver that I could never get through to a lot of TM people on these boards when discussing that issue. I think most agreed that the SLDR was a heel weighted club that the majority had similar issues with the occasional 'quick left'. I took some advice from others on here and by adding weight (by yes moving the weight more toward the toe) and adding additional lead tape to the toe to over emphasize this cured the problem for me. However the ultimate cure was ditching the club and it's design for a little more spin and a lot more forgiveness (perhaps the tape had nothing to do with it...but I believed it did). Anyway think we've gotten side tracked a little from this thread and beaten this to death...so I'll move on as Ping has produced a truly wonderful club for a vast array of golfers. I'll defer and go back to reading the G reviews as why I originally jumped on this thread.

I believe Tom Wishon has stated it needs 25g minimum to produce a noticable effect - this was through his own extensive testing

The difference in loft is a contributing factor for sure. If you notice the launch angle stayed roughly the same so I must have manipulated my AoA which I think changes the Spin Loft. Not to make things more confusing but I also tried the GLS in the ++ position and got slightly lower spin numbers with roughly the same launch angle. That probably defies logic and/or points out the inconsistencies in my swing. GLS 9* in ++ gave me the longest drives of anything I tried. The store didn't have a 10.5 GLS but I'm hoping to try one now that the club is officially launched.

considering the M1 was launching by far the highest, with only a minimal gain in spin, turning the loft down 2 or 3 clicks would probably give you similar numbers to the GLS, but I doubt it'd be as forgiving in the long run.

Drudersh

You mess with the G yet? No weathers been tough on both of us last 6 weeks. Curious to hear your opinion.

Haven't had a chance to hit it yet. I started losing my LS Tec to the right too often last season. Actually picked up a G25 to mess around with and see what I will be more consistent with. I'll be trying that up against the G LS. If it's less fade biased, I'll bag the G for the year, but if I have the same trouble turning it over as I did with the G30 LS Tec I may go back to the G25 give up a few yards and just find fairways.

I have a nice WRX G25 that is always my backup driver. The thing just delivers the goods. It might not be quite as long or spin as low as some of the newer designs, but it does everything well and is VERY controllable and in the middle.

considering the M1 was launching by far the highest, with only a minimal gain in spin, turning the loft down 2 or 3 clicks would probably give you similar numbers to the GLS, but I doubt it'd be as forgiving in the long run.

I was at Golftown again today hoping to try the G LS Tec in 10.5* but they still don't have it in stock. I hit the 9* again and coincidentally I also hit the M1 430 in 9.5 with a Kuro Kage s-flex. I only hit the M1 5 times and had 2 mishits and 3 nearly prefect drives. Here are the average numbers from the 3 good shots with the M1 and all 15+ shots with the G LS. There were a few stinkers with the G LS too but overall it was very forgiving.

PING Glide 3.0 54s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 58

Hit the 3w with the tour 80 shaft in it. Probably one of the best fairway woods I've ever hit.

Did you notice any draw bias in the fairway woods?

PING Glide 3.0 54s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 58

Really pleased I ordered mine with a 44.5" shaft. I tried the standard 45.75" shaft in it at the range today and it felt uncontrollable.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Just replaced my Titleist 915D3 with a G driver after some comparison in a simulator, a driving range and 18 holes in my home course.

Just to avoid confusion, my drives are ok (short here in WRX) and although I'm tall (6.3") and athletic with a reasonable belly :D , my swing speed is just 95 MPH.

The shaft of the Titleist was a Rogue Black 70S and in the Ping a (fantastic) Tour 65S.

Feel is solid (better than the Titleist IMO), sound is loud (much louder than Titleist), shape is better in the 915D3 but for me is fine (definitively improved from the G30 that I could not even look at) and after 5 swings I got used to the turbulators and the dragonfly structure.

Distance is surprisingly similar to my previous driver. Initial numbers in the simulator and visual confirmation in my home course were that carry was better with the Ping and more roll with the 915D3.

You can imagine that what really sets apart the Ping is its forgiveness and precision (high, low, slight fade, slight draw). I honestly cannot believe how easy to hit is this driver. The best part were that the misses always stayed in the fairway (I did not miss a single of the 13 fairways played with the driver. First time ever in 15 years playing golf...).

Ok, I am aware of the honeymoon period and promise that if something strange happens in the next months I will come back here to report.

Ping is really making great products (I also changed irons six months ago) and I really encourage you to compare this driver to your gamer.

Have a great game.

Ping G430 MAX 10.5º. GD Tour AD IZ 6S

PXG 0311 XF GEN6 #4 & #7. UST Proforce V2 6F4

Maltby KE4 Tour RS 22º. FST Pro 115S

Maltby TE+ Forged 25º ~ 45º. FST Pro 115S

Maltby TSW Forged 50º, 55º & 60º. FST Pro 115S

EVNROLL ER5 CS Hatchback

Had a chance to hit the G driver indoors and was very impressed. To me, the shape and sound are much more pleasing and it was noticeably more forgiving than the G30. The Tour 65 shaft continues to be a winner as well. I also really liked the G fairway. To me, it sits like the i25 fw (square to slightly open) and is a breeze to hit and elevate.

Spring seems far away, but I look forward to getting these outdoors.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Anyone noticing any real serious right to left bias with the SF driver and fairways? Anything that makes it feel like you have to force the ball to move the other way left to right? Or, is it pretty easy to work it both ways?

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

Anyone?

Anyone?

I'm sorry but I don't think the SF is for the person who wants to work it both ways. It's clearly marketed as a draw biased club. Why not just go with the regular if there is a concern?

[u][b]2020 Bag[/b][/u]
Titleist TS3 9.5 [i]Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S[/i]
Titleist TS3 15 [i]/Aldila Rogue Silver 70S[/i]
Titleist TS2 19 [i]/Project X Evenflow White 90 6.0[/i]
Titleist T100 4-PW[i]/True Temper AMT Tour White S300[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54M, 60M 
Evnroll 1.2 34"

Compared the G LS vs my G30ls today at Dicks. To be fair they only had the G LS in 9 and I play mine in 9.9 or 10.5.

My 30ls outperformed the G LS for me.

I liked the looks of the new G and really couldn't tell the difference in sound due to hitting in a room but pure numbers wise 30ls won.

Kept shafts the same w 65x in both.

Maybe w a G LS 10.5 it would have been different and I'm holding judgement until I can do a direct comparison.

Side note. I hit the King Cobra Ltd and was getting similar numbers to my g30ls but w much better feel and sound. They've made a great club over there. Wish I hadn't have hit it as I was very impressed. Dicks don't carry the King but I knew the golf shop manager and he brought his in for me to get. Very nice feeling sounding club w similar numbers to my LS.

Anyone going from 9 to 10.5 in the LS notice a dramatic increase in spin? Looking to lift up a bit from my 9.5 i25. Maybe even. 10.5 G with some hotmelt to control launch and spin a bit.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

Anyone noticing any real serious right to left bias with the SF driver and fairways? Anything that makes it feel like you have to force the ball to move the other way left to right? Or, is it pretty easy to work it both ways?

with the driver, I can still get it to cut...

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

with the driver, I can still get it to cut...

I appreciate the response and feedback :)

Anyone going from 9 to 10.5 in the LS notice a dramatic increase in spin? Looking to lift up a bit from my 9.5 i25. Maybe even. 10.5 G with some hotmelt to control launch and spin a bit.

I cannot respond about the launch and spin of drivers with different loft numbers printed on the bottom but I founded that there were differences of real loft between drivers with the same printed number.

My initial shots were hit in a simulator against my previous driver (915D3) and I was surprised that the launch with the Ping was much higher than with the Titleist. I asked my friend of the shop to verify the real loft with a precision gauge and we discovered that it was 11.5 degrees when the printed number was 10.5.

We meassured 6 drivers (10.5) and we found lofts ranging from 9.5 to 11.5. I got one of them with a real loft of 10 that matched the loft of the Titleist.

I think that a variation of + - 1 degree vs the printed number is fine but if you are unsure between 9 and 10.5 degrees try to verify the real number. Fortunately Ping allows in the States to order digitally verified lofts (we cannot do it here) and based on the differences I encountered my recommendation is to ask for it.

Have a great game.

Ping G430 MAX 10.5º. GD Tour AD IZ 6S

PXG 0311 XF GEN6 #4 & #7. UST Proforce V2 6F4

Maltby KE4 Tour RS 22º. FST Pro 115S

Maltby TE+ Forged 25º ~ 45º. FST Pro 115S

Maltby TSW Forged 50º, 55º & 60º. FST Pro 115S

EVNROLL ER5 CS Hatchback

I've gone through 2 drivers since December. Settled on this one now. Not sure why I left PING in the first place. I was unsure about the graphics, but was able to get past it. The consistency I found in fairways hit compared to the M1 and the Cally 816 double black diamond is refreshing. I'll take 3-5 yards less to hit fairways and be able to hit a shot that appeals to my eye with regularity.

WITB:

Driver - Titleist TSR3

3 Wood - PING G425 LST 

Hybrid - Titleist TSR2

Irons (4-PW): Mizuno Pro 223

Wedges: Mizuno T24 - 50*, 56*

Putter: Cameron '23 Phantom X 5

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Do we know are the Tour shafts the exact same as those available with the G30 ie 65 & 80 - same specs and manufacturer etc?

Are the adaptors the same?

No, because the G has 5 loft settings

What?

Tour 65 & 80 shafts are exactly the same as the ones in the G30. G adapter is slightly different than G30, but both have the same 5 loft settings as before. Not sure what msulli is going on about