Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

I might have missed it earlier in the thread - but speaking of digital lofting, has anyone checked the off the shelf lofts of any of these heads? I find it hard to choose a specific loft to request if you don't know the actual lofts of the heads that were used during a demo or fitting.

Any reputable fitter should have a loft/lie machine and the ability to check the loft on the head you are demo'ing.

Thanks. I appreciate the response but I am aware of that. Good advice for others, just not as helpful for me.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might have missed it earlier in the thread - but speaking of digital lofting, has anyone checked the off the shelf lofts of any of these heads? I find it hard to choose a specific loft to request if you don't know the actual lofts of the heads that were used during a demo or fitting.

I chose mine based on what I figured was the room for error. That way if its way off I can adjust it properly for what I want compared to my demo. I am demoing a 10, SFT. I ordered the same club digitally lofted to 9.5 as it would allow me to go up to 10.5 if that's what is needed. I would like a little lower flight than the demo. So if it's correct, I could get it to 8.5. So that's my logic even if I am totally off, it makes sense to me and gives me buy in. Lol

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

I went to a fitting where I hit a 9 degree, and I ordered a digitally lofter 9 degree. I'm hoping that the ones you're getting fir into at PING's headquarters are going to be fairly accurate...I just hope that wasn't a poor assumption. I should have my G this week.

Ping G430 LST | Ping Tour 2.0 65 
TaylorMade BRNR | Project X Even Flow Riptide 70

Calaway X2Hot 5Deep | UST Elements Chrome+ 8
Titleist TSr3 | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95
PING i210 5-U | TT DG 120 S300
Vokey SM9 54.12D, 60.12D | TT DG S300
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless 350g

Does the G LS launch higher than the G3 LS in same loft?

For me, yes. Last year I played G30 LS digitally lofted at 9.6 degrees.

This year I'm plying G LS digitally lofted at 8.4 and it is launching almost a degree higher and 200-400 mph less spin... Simply unreal for me.

Very helpful G-Bone. I know you were part of the gear testing. How close was the Cobra King LTD (pro or standard) for you to the G and any comparisons to the Bio Cell Pro?

Maybe it's my natural skepticism but I find it hard to trust that labeled loft is an accurate representation of what the designed loft really is. In the past, some OEM's (if not most - and including Ping) have artificially increased lofts above the label value for their drivers to the point where it could be a degree or two off. Also, even if that isn't the intent, the advent of the adjustable hossels has blurred the meaning of 'loft' and there is more of a potential for confusion between the actual loft and the effective loft. e.g. digital lofting request may use actual loft (as is typically standard for tour issue heads) but the label may be more reflective of the effective loft.

I guess that was part of the reason I asked the question to see what people were seeing in general from the off the shelf heads.

If I can. I will get my club guy to measure mine and let you know.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Does a digitally lofted head cost more?

Like $20 I think. I ordered one digitally lofted to 11*, reading Gbones comments I'm hoping that's not too high.

I'd read that the Ping staffers we lofting down with the new G series anywhere from 1/2* to a full degree and achieving the same launch angle.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

I'm having a hard time deciding between a G LS in 9 or 10.5. The local golf stores don't have both to compare side-by-side so I've been able to hit the 9 w/tour 65 s against my gamer (i25 10.5 w/tour 65 X) and at another place I hit the 10.5 w/ALTA S against my gamer. The 9 gave better numbers (relative to the gamer) but it had the better shaft. I think I can get a good launch angle with the 9 (~13 - 14) and lower spin but I'm worried it will be harder to hit. On the other hand keeping it lower is easier to play in the wind and overall easier to keep away from the hazards when it starts going sideways.

You may want to try the reg G at 9*. You may find it has about the same spin as the G LS in 10.5. Just an idea.. I stumbled into it while trying drivers and I had a similar ordeal as the store didn't have a 10.5LS and only a 9. Glad it worked out for me and couldn't be happier with the G. After listening to some about the G LS being similar in sound to the 30LS, I'm even happier as the G sounds like my old Titleist 910 or SLDR.... It's very solid and muted.

I like this idea and actually tried the 9* G side-by-side against the 9* G LS with the same Tour 65 S swapped between the 2 and got much better numbers with the G LS. I averaged ~400 lower spin with LS (2250 vs 2650) and I averaged 4.6 mph more ballspeed which I can't really explain except to say it is winter here and I'm hitting indoors with winter swing consistency. I even had slightly tighter dispersion with the LS which again is hard to explain. The local shop is attempting to bring in an LS 10.5 for me to try before I place my order but I'm pretty much set on a ordering an LS 9* w/ Tour 65s. If I'm able to order it digitally lofted in Canada I may get the 9* in their demo bin measured and order it a 1/2* higher than that.

I find the G series a little loud but not obnoxiously so. It would be nice if it sounded like the clubs you mention or my old Titleist 909 D2... or maybe a TM 510 TP.

PING G425 Max 9* @ 7.5* PING Tour 65s
PING G425 Max 3w PING Tour 75s
PING G430 Max 7w PING Tour 75s
PING G425 22 PING Tour 85s
PING iBlade 4-pw DG XP95 S300
PING Glide 3.0 50s, 54s, 58s
PING Sigma 2 Tyne 4

I'm having a hard time deciding between a G LS in 9 or 10.5. The local golf stores don't have both to compare side-by-side so I've been able to hit the 9 w/tour 65 s against my gamer (i25 10.5 w/tour 65 X) and at another place I hit the 10.5 w/ALTA S against my gamer. The 9 gave better numbers (relative to the gamer) but it had the better shaft. I think I can get a good launch angle with the 9 (~13 - 14) and lower spin but I'm worried it will be harder to hit. On the other hand keeping it lower is easier to play in the wind and overall easier to keep away from the hazards when it starts going sideways.

You may want to try the reg G at 9*. You may find it has about the same spin as the G LS in 10.5. Just an idea.. I stumbled into it while trying drivers and I had a similar ordeal as the store didn't have a 10.5LS and only a 9. Glad it worked out for me and couldn't be happier with the G. After listening to some about the G LS being similar in sound to the 30LS, I'm even happier as the G sounds like my old Titleist 910 or SLDR.... It's very solid and muted.

I like this idea and actually tried the 9* G side-by-side against the 9* G LS with the same Tour 65 S swapped between the 2 and got much better numbers with the G LS. I averaged ~400 lower spin with LS (2250 vs 2650) and I averaged 4.6 mph more ballspeed which I can't really explain except to say it is winter here and I'm hitting indoors with winter swing consistency. I even had slightly tighter dispersion with the LS which again is hard to explain. The local shop is attempting to bring in an LS 10.5 for me to try before I place my order but I'm pretty much set on a ordering an LS 9* w/ Tour 65s. If I'm able to order it digitally lofted in Canada I may get the 9* in their demo bin measured and order it a 1/2* higher than that.

I find the G series a little loud but not obnoxiously so. It would be nice if it sounded like the clubs you mention or my old Titleist 909 D2... or maybe a TM 510 TP.

I'm going to hot melt mine with about 5g then change the weight at the back for swing-weighting.

I've heard that about the LS I just haven't played around much with that version. The G I have sounds completely different than my former G30 LS.... Really can't comment anymore just have to go on what others are saying about the G LS. Curious to hear from other normal G users if they are noticing the 'quieter' sounding G. Maybe I just go lucky...really don't know but couldn't be happier.

For those of you who have cut the driver down to your desired playing length, how are you getting the swing weight back up? Do the same weights fit the G as the G30? I am not afraid of some lead tape, but if I can order a heavier weight to screw in that would be nice...

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
Taylormade SIM Max D 16*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19* 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Vokey SM7: 50, 55, 60*
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"

For those of you who have cut the driver down to your desired playing length, how are you getting the swing weight back up? Do the same weights fit the G as the G30? I am not afraid of some lead tape, but if I can order a heavier weight to screw in that would be nice...

If you order it from Ping, they'll put in the weight to get to your desired swingweight (if you specify that). Otherwise, you're probably going to have to order an aftermarket weight or throw on some lead tape. Unless something changed since last year, Ping doesn't sell the weights separately.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Anyone going from 9 to 10.5 in the LS notice a dramatic increase in spin? Looking to lift up a bit from my 9.5 i25. Maybe even. 10.5 G with some hotmelt to control launch and spin a bit.

I cannot respond about the launch and spin of drivers with different loft numbers printed on the bottom but I founded that there were differences of real loft between drivers with the same printed number.

My initial shots were hit in a simulator against my previous driver (915D3) and I was surprised that the launch with the Ping was much higher than with the Titleist. I asked my friend of the shop to verify the real loft with a precision gauge and we discovered that it was 11.5 degrees when the printed number was 10.5.

We meassured 6 drivers (10.5) and we found lofts ranging from 9.5 to 11.5. I got one of them with a real loft of 10 that matched the loft of the Titleist.

I think that a variation of + - 1 degree vs the printed number is fine but if you are unsure between 9 and 10.5 degrees try to verify the real number. Fortunately Ping allows in the States to order digitally verified lofts (we cannot do it here) and based on the differences I encountered my recommendation is to ask for it.

Have a great game.

Stuart, I posted this findings earlier in the thread. Hope it helps.

Have a great game.

Ping G430 MAX 10.5º. GD Tour AD IZ 6S

PXG 0311 XF GEN6 #4 & #7. UST Proforce V2 6F4

Maltby KE4 Tour RS 22º. FST Pro 115S

Maltby TE+ Forged 25º ~ 45º. FST Pro 115S

Maltby TSW Forged 50º, 55º & 60º. FST Pro 115S

EVNROLL ER5 CS Hatchback

Does a digitally lofted head cost more?

Like $20 I think. I ordered one digitally lofted to 11*, reading Gbones comments I'm hoping that's not too high.

I'd read that the Ping staffers we lofting down with the new G series anywhere from 1/2* to a full degree and achieving the same launch angle.

I've got a 10.5 G30 that if anything looks like it has more loft to my eye, and I'm playing it in the big + setting. I figured 11* would allow me to play it standard or if anything I'll open it up a little.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Any reputable fitter should have a loft/lie machine and the ability to check the loft on the head you are demo'ing.

Thanks. I appreciate the response but I am aware of that. Good advice for others, just not as helpful for me.

You seem concerned about knowing the loft of the clubs that you are demoing, so I fail to see how other members reported loft measurements of OTR heads will impact the clubs that you are testing. The only answer to your question is to have the actual club head you are hitting measured, as someone measuring an OTR G series in Texas will have no influence on the loft of the club in your hands.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

View PostBillyZ2, on 24 February 2016 - 12:12 PM, said:

I went head to head with the Callaway XR16 vs Ping G with the same club specs (9.5*, neut bias, stiff/reg stock shafts, 45.5") and the XR16 was better in all aspects. +10 yards, lower spin, tighter dispersion.

Was this the XR16 regular or XR16 pro vs regular G or LS G?

XR16 reg vs G reg, not the pro versions. Results may vary from user to user, but that's what I found., I won't necessarily say that I am a Ping man, but I did love my ping g20 driver that the new Callaway has now replaced.

View PostBillyZ2, on 24 February 2016 - 12:12 PM, said:

I went head to head with the Callaway XR16 vs Ping G with the same club specs (9.5*, neut bias, stiff/reg stock shafts, 45.5") and the XR16 was better in all aspects. +10 yards, lower spin, tighter dispersion.

Was this the XR16 regular or XR16 pro vs regular G or LS G?

XR16 reg vs G reg, not the pro versions. Results may vary from user to user, but that's what I found., I won't necessarily say that I am a Ping man, but I did love my ping g20 driver that the new Callaway has now replaced.

Good luck with your new Driver. I despised the XR16 it gave me the worst numbers of any driver. just shows how we all are different. The ironic thing is the G20 you mentioned will always be one of my most favorite drivers...not the longest by no means but it was super accurate. Good luck again.

If you order it from Ping, they'll put in the weight to get to your desired swingweight (if you specify that). Otherwise, you're probably going to have to order an aftermarket weight or throw on some lead tape. Unless something changed since last year, Ping doesn't sell the weights separately.

First of all, everyone should put cotton inside of their PING drivers. Sounds so much better. And, you can trace the weight onto some lead tape and cut it out, and just screw it on under the weight. Works great and dampens sound as well.

First of all, everyone should put cotton inside of their PING drivers. Sounds so much better. And, you can trace the weight onto some lead tape and cut it out, and just screw it on under the weight. Works great and dampens sound as well.

I didn't think of putting it under the screw! I will be doing that tomorrow! Thanks!

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
Taylormade SIM Max D 16*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19* 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Vokey SM7: 50, 55, 60*
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"

This year I'm plying G LS digitally lofted at 8.4 and it is launching almost a degree higher and 200-400 mph less spin... Simply unreal for me.

Very helpful G-Bone. I know you were part of the gear testing. How close was the Cobra King LTD (pro or standard) for you to the G and any comparisons to the Bio Cell Pro?

For me LTD was slowed my club head speed down a couple mph, and when you have to work hard to hit 100 mph like I do, slower is bad. Smash with LTD was good, looks and feel are awesome, but it could keep up with G LS, for me. The big boys killed LTD... Made me want one just watching them swing it and howel at the flat bombs they were laying out there!

Bio Cell Pro was a bit too much for me. I gamed it for a month or so, but the heavy fade biased and I didn't get along... Not a good gamer for me. However, LTD I could easily game, if I didn't know G LS was so much better. LTD is LOW spin with the righr shaft and AoA, that much I learned at Gear Trials.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

For me LTD was slowed my club head speed down a couple mph, and when you have to work hard to hit 100 mph like I do, slower is bad. Smash with LTD was good, looks and feel are awesome, but it could keep up with G LS, for me. The big boys killed LTD... Made me want one just watching them swing it and howel at the flat bombs they were laying out there!

Bio Cell Pro was a bit too much for me. I gamed it for a month or so, but the heavy fade biased and I didn't get along... Not a good gamer for me. However, LTD I could easily game, if I didn't know G LS was so much better. LTD is LOW spin with the righr shaft and AoA, that much I learned at Gear Trials.

I just ordered a G LS 9* w/ tour 65S tipped. I don't swing as fast consistently after surgery and probably won't for a while, and playing will be sporadic so extra forgiveness is most welcome. The LTD sounds and feels incredible...maybe even better than my BCP. As always, great stuff G-Bone.

I would have thought the demo heads were digitally lofted-otherwise it would be pointless to hit a demo head and order based on results from that head.

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2