Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

Ok. That's what I removed seeing. What is it an indicator. I mean how does this relate to good or bad?

Is it efficiently?

Mostly it's an indicator of how good your face contact and head delivery into contact is. However, how much the number varies between different drivers for known off-center contact can be somewhat of an indication of how forgiving the head is for those off center strikes.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. That's what I removed seeing. What is it an indicator. I mean how does this relate to good or bad?

Is it efficiently?

You got it. My understanding is it shows how efficient you are at transfering SS into Ball speed with quality of strike. An over the top slicer will see lower #s usually.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I hit a cut. He said that would cause my spin numbers to be always higher.

I'm not an over the top slicer, I actually come from the inside and don't usually square up.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

It also explains why my cut is generally a little blocked or I can (very) easily hit the pull hook. Lol

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

I know this is sort off topic, but I wanted to share my good experience with Ping CS today.

I cracked the face of my trusty G20 at the end of January. I sent it in to Ping on January 28th, and was offered a very fair price on a digitally lofted G LS replacement. I also separately ordered a G 3 wood to replace my ancient ISI Tec. I was told the club would ship after release date.

Reading this thread made me very excited for both clubs to come in. I called on the 16th and was told the club would ship out that week. I didn't hear or see anything from Ping, so I called on the 25th. I was told that they were waiting on a new stock of heads to be delivered on 3/2, which was contrary to what I was previously told.

I sent an email explaining my situation. I have no problem if a product is back-ordered or delayed, I just wanted to be told up front so I can set realistic expectations. Gerald from Ping called today, apologized for the miscommunication and explained that they had to first find a head that met my specs, which took longer than usual due to low stock. He said the club was being finished today and assured me I would have it before my first tournament of the year, even if it meant overnighting it.

Ping really came through and delivered the same amazing customer service that I've experienced the past few years. I can update when I receive the LS, but I am confident Ping will follow through.

For the record, I did receive the G 3 wood. I typically go with an aftermarket shaft due to my higher SS (114-116 with driver), but I have been incredibly impressed with the performance of the Tour 80 shaft. Can't wait for the G LS to come in!

Ping G430 LST - Ventus Black TR 6X

Taylormade Brnr Mini - Ventus Red TR 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 5 - Ventus Red TR 8X

Callaway UT 21*, Ventus Black 9TX

Callaway UT 24*, Ventus Black 9TX
Ping i210 5-W - $ Taper 130X

Taylormade MG4 - 50SB, 56SB, 60TW - MMT 125TX
Ping PLD Tyne

I have had nothing but good experiences with ping.

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

If you upgraded from Tec to G, I'm sold. I loved the Tec...cracked 4 of them and can't find any. I'll probably be getting a G 3 wood.

I know this is sort off topic, but I wanted to share my good experience with Ping CS today.

I cracked the face of my trusty G20 at the end of January. I sent it in to Ping on January 28th, and was offered a very fair price on a digitally lofted G LS replacement. I also separately ordered a G 3 wood to replace my ancient ISI Tec. I was told the club would ship after release date.

Reading this thread made me very excited for both clubs to come in. I called on the 16th and was told the club would ship out that week. I didn't hear or see anything from Ping, so I called on the 25th. I was told that they were waiting on a new stock of heads to be delivered on 3/2, which was contrary to what I was previously told.

I sent an email explaining my situation. I have no problem if a product is back-ordered or delayed, I just wanted to be told up front so I can set realistic expectations. Gerald from Ping called today, apologized for the miscommunication and explained that they had to first find a head that met my specs, which took longer than usual due to low stock. He said the club was being finished today and assured me I would have it before my first tournament of the year, even if it meant overnighting it.

Ping really came through and delivered the same amazing customer service that I've experienced the past few years. I can update when I receive the LS, but I am confident Ping will follow through.

For the record, I did receive the G 3 wood. I typically go with an aftermarket shaft due to my higher SS (114-116 with driver), but I have been incredibly impressed with the performance of the Tour 80 shaft. Can't wait for the G LS to come in!

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

I am a die hard tisi tec guy. The new G looks great, but I didn't even bother hitting it. NOTHING is a s good as the tec.

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

I am a die hard tisi tec guy. The new G looks great, but I didn't even bother hitting it. NOTHING is a s good as the tec.

There's a reason it stayed in the bag for more than a decade haha. I have never had a longer three wood off the tee (14 degree head with the S2O ferrule, so it effectively plays close to 12).

I was really looking for something I could hold greens with, which I think I've succeeded in finding. The added forgiveness across the face has been a really pleasant surprise too.

That said, the Tec won't be far away if things go south.

Ping G430 LST - Ventus Black TR 6X

Taylormade Brnr Mini - Ventus Red TR 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 5 - Ventus Red TR 8X

Callaway UT 21*, Ventus Black 9TX

Callaway UT 24*, Ventus Black 9TX
Ping i210 5-W - $ Taper 130X

Taylormade MG4 - 50SB, 56SB, 60TW - MMT 125TX
Ping PLD Tyne

I have had nothing but good experiences with ping.

When I got TR grooves and starshot finish added to my Ping Redwood, I was quoted $75. Once I sent it in, they said the actual work would be $250. Ping stuck by their original quote. They are great people.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

So weird thing today. Took my G30 9degree stiff flex into my local store today and hit about 15 drives it, then proceeded to hit 15 with the GLS and 15 with G standard.

My G30 was clearly better than both newer versions but I just felt like the new drivers seemed heavier. I mentioned this to the salesperson so we went and tested the swing weight of all 3:

G30 - D3

G - D6

GLS - D8

I didn't have my best swing today and didn't have time to see if we could find a true D3 but am stumped these can come from the factory THAT FAR OFF!

D4 ok whatever, D5 becoming a concern, D6 and up is not acceptable. Are these not check before leaving the factory? One of the Drivers was not a demo, it actually came from the retail rack! This concerns me on any new purchase in the future for sure.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

So weird thing today. Took my G30 9degree stiff flex into my local store today and hit about 15 drives it, then proceeded to hit 15 with the GLS and 15 with G standard.

My G30 was clearly better than both newer versions but I just felt like the new drivers seemed heavier. I mentioned this to the salesperson so we went and tested the swing weight of all 3:

G30 - D3

G - D6

GLS - D8

I didn't have my best swing today and didn't have time to see if we could find a true D3 but am stumped these can come from the factory THAT FAR OFF!

D4 ok whatever, D5 becoming a concern, D6 and up is not acceptable. Are these not check before leaving the factory? One of the Drivers was not a demo, it actually came from the retail rack! This concerns me on any new purchase in the future for sure.

Ping website says G LS is D4. D6 is still a pretty big jump. What shaft was in it?

G30 - D3

G - D6

GLS - D8

Ping website says G LS is D4. D6 is still a pretty big jump. What shaft was in it?

The G LS came in at D8, almost D9 - Standard stiff shaft.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

G30 - D3

G - D6

GLS - D8

Ppl may be flip-flopping sole weights if they are trying with different shafts (especially high balance point vs not-high). If you have a high balance point shaft in and then stick in a regular or after market or a shorter shaft (like a 3wood model), the SW can get up there pretty easily.

G30 - D3

G - D6

GLS - D8

Ppl may be flip-flopping sole weights if they are trying with different shafts (especially high balance point vs not-high). If you have a high balance point shaft in and then stick in a regular or after market or a shorter shaft (like a 3wood model), the SW can get up there pretty easily.

That may be true, however one of the drivers that was way heavy, the sales person grabbed the club off the shelf, unwrapped the plastic off the head and then we tested. Nobody had ever hit that club prior to me.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

I ordered my G LS 9* w/Tour 65 S at 44.5 and D2. I didn't bother getting it digitally lofted. Based on this I'm going to have my club fitter check the specs after it arrives to see how they did. Is anyone ordering theirs with the Tour 80 shaft? I would have liked to try it but there were no Tour 80 demo shafts available here.

PING G425 Max 9* @ 7.5* PING Tour 65s
PING G425 Max 3w PING Tour 75s
PING G430 Max 7w PING Tour 75s
PING G425 22 PING Tour 85s
PING iBlade 4-pw DG XP95 S300
PING Glide 3.0 50s, 54s, 58s
PING Sigma 2 Tyne 4

Just picked up a NEW G SF Tec 10* head for really, really cheap. And yeah, its legit, ran the serial with Ping.

I think what caught my eye is that the SF Tec head is the lightest of all the G series head. It has a slight draw bias because I while I prefer to miss it right, it gets a bit much. If it goes too far left, I'll crank it down to square up the face. We'll see. I still have my G30 LS Tec 10.5 with my 44.5" Tour 65. Should be interesting to see how this SF head behaves with my swing. Its cheap anyway and I can easily BST the head if things do not pan out...

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Just picked up a NEW G SF Tec 10* head for really, really cheap. And yeah, its legit, ran the serial with Ping.

I think what caught my eye is that the SF Tec head is the lightest of all the G series head. It has a slight draw bias because I while I prefer to miss it right, it gets a bit much. If it goes too far left, I'll crank it down to square up the face. We'll see. I still have my G30 LS Tec 10.5 with my 44.5" Tour 65. Should be interesting to see how this SF head behaves with my swing. Its cheap anyway and I can easily BST the head if things do not pan out...

You'll just end up selling it on the BST for cheap because all WRX'ers miss low and left and need the most toe heavy, tip stiff shaft to take the left side out of play...

You'll just end up selling it on the BST for cheap because all WRX'ers miss low and left and need the most toe heavy, tip stiff shaft to take the left side out of play...

Don't forget extra,extra,extra, low spin.

I am still hitting my G30 LS Tec with tour 80 shaft, is their much difference in the new G LS Tec, enough to consider a new driver?

For me, it launched .5 to 1 degree higher wth 200-300 rpm less spin and added about 3-4 mph ball speed (2 mph more club head speed)

Most will agree it also looks, sounds and feels better as well.

For me, it was a no brainer to upgrade from G30 LS on looks and feel alone. The couple extra yards, and slight additional forgiveness was simply frosting on the cake.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12