2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

The 5th Avenue Golfsmith in New York has the G drivers and fairways for demo. They're in a golf bag in the middle bay. Right and left handed.

Just hit the 9 degree in the Altus stiff and the 9 LS Tec in a not-for-me Tour 60 X flex.

The 9 degree with Altus was the most consistently great driver I've ever hit. 150ish ballspeed, 13 degree launch, spin between 2100 and 2500, 252-265 carry depending on strike. Checked the LM (Foresight) and it wasn't juiced as best as I could tell.

I'm very impressed. The consistency was very, very good. And such low spin on a high MOI driver is unheard of for me. I often struggle with 3000+ rpm.

Hit big spinny cuts with the LS Tec. Head felt very heavy and the shaft is just terrible for for my swingspeed (or lack of) so I wouldn't read too much into that.

This one just might challenge the Cobra Bio Cell+ in my bag and I absolutely love that driver!

I'd probably get it shortened though. The shaft felt really long in my hands.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just hit the G LS Tec and performance wise I don't really find it much different than the G30 LS Tec. I was hitting it indoors and the sound made my ears ring. I like the look a lot more than the G30 but I found the performance, sound, and feel very similar (which is a good thing).

Performance wise it's high launch and low spinning. I was averaging 109mph club head speed, 15* launch, and spun a hair over 2100rpm's over 25 swings. It's extremely forgiving and very confidence inspiring. I had the Tour 65X shaft in a 9* head playing at 9*. Numbers for me were pretty much perfect and the forgiveness is top notch.

I really, really, want to like and bag this driver but once again the sound (at least in this particular head) was pretty bad IMO. Sound and feel are still significantly better in my i25. My G25 didn't sound very good until I put an Ahina in it. After that it sounded fantastic. I wonder if the G LS Tec would benefit from a different shaft.

Other than the sound (which is personal preference) this driver really delivers and IMO is going to be extremely hard to beat for low spin and forgiveness.

Taylormade M2 9.5* @ 7.5* Rogue 110 Silver 60x
Taylormade M2 15* VTS Red 75x
Ping Rapture DI 18* VTS Silver 85x
Ping S55 3-PW PX Flighted 6.0
Ping Glide 52* SS & Glide 58* SS
Ping Anser Milled #6 35"

Doesn't that seem like a lot of carry for an average of 152 ball speed?? I concur with your comments on the driver, though!

Golfsmith launch monitors are not accurate, I've read it gets worse with extremely low spin shots. I don't bother doing anything but checking out looks and feel when I'm there, and comparisons can wait for course or Trackman. I posted some very optimal 1.5+ smash numbers with my g30 lst last page if you want to check out what's normal for that BS.

Not even sure how much you really can say for feel, given how much sound influences what we think we feel, and how much an enclosed space like a sim will affect the sound. Really need a big open space to know what it's going to feel like when it matters.

About all I trust for talking about feel in a sim is being able to say they're the same or different.

Is the 125 lower launching / spinning with tigger dispersion? I have considered the 125 too!

What is tigger dispersion ? And a 125?

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

My i25 is definitely lower launching. Spin is similar but it wouldn't surprise me if the i25 was lower spin still. I'd need to test both at the same time to make a fair comparison though. I find the i25 very forgiving and I seem to hit it pretty straight but the G line if drivers are class leading in terms of forgiveness IMO.

Taylormade M2 9.5* @ 7.5* Rogue 110 Silver 60x
Taylormade M2 15* VTS Red 75x
Ping Rapture DI 18* VTS Silver 85x
Ping S55 3-PW PX Flighted 6.0
Ping Glide 52* SS & Glide 58* SS
Ping Anser Milled #6 35"

Had a chance to test out the LS yesterday. The new look is sick! Feels like the driver Batman would use. Cosmetically I think this is much improved from G30. The sound on the G-LS is fractionally better, never liked the sound on G30-LS. But I have to say, was less than impressed with performance. I've always felt Ping drivers were really easy to square up through the hitting zone. Had a tough time squaring up the G. Could have just been a bad day in the sim.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

Got to retest the G LST y'day on a fair launch monitor... took my i25 as well... cancelled buy order for now.... was hitting my i25 and a shop f6+ Cobra (which I have on order best)...

I was spraying the G LSTec model everywhere and not good nos in comparison to 1st test... also noticed the online reviews for the LSTec have very juiced launch monitor results... 300+ carry with 164 mph ball speeds are not probable at sea level.. as I launch really low a lot of the time the mega low spin does me no favours

Dispersion seems to be an issue with quite a lot of the G LST reviews I have seen

Keep the feedback coming guys

I hit G and G ls tec indoors. I don't know that they will provide anything different than my current setup, other than I really like the looks better, and will move to the ls tec in 9.

Interesting - so you are looking to drop down in loft, is that because G launches higher or you think you would have done better with less loft in the G30 too?

Hit the G and G LS Tec both in 10.5 today. None of these were setup like I need um. G was much higher launch and spin. LS tec was probably 800rpms less in spin for me. Sound was still a little clanky with the LS for some reason. Normal G sound and felt much better. Maybe a shaft difference causing that difference? Dont know. Fairway woods looked very impressive as well. Better shape for me than last year.

Dispersion seems to be an issue with quite a lot of the G LST reviews I have seen

I hit G and G ls tec indoors. I don't know that they will provide anything different than my current setup, other than I really like the looks better, and will move to the ls tec in 9.

Interesting - so you are looking to drop down in loft, is that because G launches higher or you think you would have done better with less loft in the G30 too?

A little of both, and after outdoor LM sessions I have found I am higher spin than I thought. I like the face angle of the ls tec as well. Basically, I have a decent LA with the G30 set at 9.5, but my spin isn't optimal. Essentially going back to the basics of less loft to lower some spin. I concur the ls tec has sounded a little harsher and don't know why...just speaking to the g30 here. I can't really tell on sound of the new ones until hit outdoors.

I placed my order yesterday.

I have a G30 now in the LST

I ordered a GSFT in stiff 10 degree digitally lofted to 9.5 if available

I play a cut that can sometimes get away from me. and the SFT G30 is the longest driver I have ever hit. but I had already bought the LS off BST here and I wasn't going to back out on the guy

I have hit it well, but I found out that the lie angle is 1* flat on the LS , and I need a more upright club anyway. I have the LS closed down all I can but I think its just not "perfect" for me.

I can even take the SF down to 8.5 if I want to... go

its not like its going to make a difference in my game with as bad as my mental game is right now anyway from 100 yards in...

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Might have something to do with the ridiculously long length of the stock shaft?

No, it's more to do with forgiveness. There are 3 or 4 reviews on youtube now where guys have hit all 3 models back to back on a launch monitor and all have had far worse dispersion with the LS Tec than other models and most lose it right. These are all good players, so I think it just goes to the LS being a product that will only be best fit for a relatively small sample, generally high spin players who want to take the left side out of play. I wouldn't see it as being the automatic choice for the better player, despite me being a typical WRXer too and telling myself I should be getting the LS!

Might have something to do with the ridiculously long length of the stock shaft?

No, it's more to do with forgiveness. There are 3 or 4 reviews on youtube now where guys have hit all 3 models back to back on a launch monitor and all have had far worse dispersion with the LS Tec than other models and most lose it right. These are all good players, so I think it just goes to the LS being a product that will only be best fit for a relatively small sample, generally high spin players who want to take the left side out of play. I wouldn't see it as being the automatic choice for the better player, despite me being a typical WRXer too and telling myself I should be getting the LS!

I thought that was all of GolfWRX!!

Tried the G series drivers at Golftown along with my G30 ls tec all using tour 65 shaft in X flex. Here are some quick observations. I am a 4 index player.

G30 ls tec, 9 deg set to 7 deg: average 109 swing speed (110 max), my gamer.

G ls tec, 9 deg set to 8 deg: average 110 swing speed (112 max). Same sound as g30 ls tec. I would agree that spin is very slightly lower but some shots were higher spin than g30. Distances were very similar to g30. Set at -1 the face sits more square (closed) than the g30 and I felt it was easier to draw/get left. The driver head looks taller and also a bit shorter heel to toe, although set side by side they seem to measure the same. I would say the g is marginally better than the g30.

G sf tec, 10 deg set to 9 deg. Defiantly easier to draw/fades less. Spins about 1000 rpm more than ls tec.

G, 9 deg set to 8 deg. Spins about 1000 rpm more than ls tec. Sounds more muted than g30 or either ls tec.

Tried the G series drivers at Golftown along with my G30 ls tec all using tour 65 shaft in X flex. Here are some quick observations. I am a 4 index player.

G ls tec, 9 deg set to 8 deg: average 110 swing speed (112 max). Same sound as g30 ls tec. I would agree that spin is very slightly lower but some shots were higher spin than g30. Distances were very similar to g30. Set at -1 the face sits more square (closed) than the g30 and I felt it was easier to draw/get left. The driver head looks taller and also a bit shorter heel to toe, although set side by side they seem to measure the same. I would say the g is marginally better than the g30.

G sf tec, 10 deg set to 9 deg. Defiantly easier to draw/fades less. Spins about 1000 rpm more than ls tec.

G, 9 deg set to 8 deg. Spins about 1000 rpm more than ls tec. Sounds more muted than g30 or either ls tec.

Did you see less distance out of the sf vs standard g?

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I'm surprised you are getting 1,000 RPM more out of the G vs. G LS Tec. That's a ton of spin reduction.

Peter Finch crushed the new G Ls Tec over 350 yds today on his LM (hope this link works)

https://www.instagra.../p/BAhTW28sQYa/

I just ordered it in Tour 65 stiff shaft, 9* head, std std, fitted to play it at 9+, also ordered a Cobra F6+ Pro with stiff shaft

These guys Finch and Shiels...

319 carry, 171 ball speed? Really? That is not possible?

171 ball speed is going to yield ~300 carry, IF the launch angle is near perfection, and total distance is going to be near 320 range. So GC2 says 350+.

So GC2 not only wildly exaggerates carry, but the ball must be hitting hard desert fairway to get 30+ yards roll. Its not reality. Doesn't everyone know this by now? Reviews on GC2 are not valid, except for spin, launch angle, etc. Distance is not correct with low spin.

PGA Tour pros are doing ~180 and BARELY carrying 300. Barely.

And common sense tells us, these boys KNOW all this, and how do they know?

Because they HAVE A FLIGHTSCOPE SITTING THERE, in plain sight in all their videos recently. So they know all their "reviews" are nonsense numbers. Because otherwise, they would use a real LM, called Flightscope, or Trackman.

They get ALL excited looking at false numbers. Its like an insane asylum or something. haha KOO KOO KOO KOO