Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if Ping will custom paint fill a driver? I know they will irons.

I have done this in the past. There was an upcharge for it.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I wanted one done like bubbas. But blue.

I will probably do it myself as I didn't want to wait for it. My pro seemed to think they are going to ship next week after the show.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

I will probably do it myself as I didn't want to wait for it. My pro seemed to think they are going to ship next week after the show.

I think it would be cool if someone would make vinyl stickers in different colors to put in the recesses on the crown.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Went and hit today. I so want to use ping drivers...and so won't be getting one. Tried the G (both shaft options), G LS tec...track man had me hitting 221....221. Really? Felt like I was crushing it...went ahead and hit the g30 also

Just to compare. Felt no different, and went the same short, lame distance. Gotta be the tech, because while I suck...I hit it pretty far for someone who sucks. :)

Was intrigued by the driving iron crossover thingie. This is also no longer a mystery either. Maybe I'll try all this again on a demo day or something. For now...TM, would love to find something else though.

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

Went and hit today. I so want to use ping drivers...and so won't be getting one. Tried the G (both shaft options), G LS tec...track man had me hitting 221....221. Really? Felt like I was crushing it...went ahead and hit the g30 also

Just to compare. Felt no different, and went the same short, lame distance. Gotta be the tech, because while I suck...I hit it pretty far for someone who sucks. :)

Was intrigued by the driving iron crossover thingie. This is also no longer a mystery either. Maybe I'll try all this again on a demo day or something. For now...TM, would love to find something else though.

No you don't hit it far, TrackMan doesn't lie :P

How do you know that? Maybe he was hitting indoors. Maybe he was hitting limited flight range balls. Quite a sweeping conclusion to make from limited info.

How do you know that? Maybe he was hitting indoors. Maybe he was hitting limited flight range balls. Quite a sweeping conclusion to make from limited info.

A tongue out means a joke buddy, lighten up with your accusations. Back to the thread please...

I will agree that the Ball Speed / Distance numbers on some of the YouTube reviews don't match. However, don't forget that Rick's LA is usually ~14-15* with the driver, which is comparable to Bubba's; although his ball speed is usually in excess of 180mph.

Regardless, it's still comparing apples to apples because he uses the same LM & settings for each club, no?

Hello, this is incorrect. It is NOT apples to apples because he is using the same LM. Not even close. Why?

One driver is say 2500 spin. Another is say 1500 spin. Both have same strike and good launch angles. Ball speed on both is the SAME. But guess what. The 1500 spin one is going to go unrealistically, WAY WAY farther, but in real life, it may go a few yards farther.

This is why its not applies to apples, because on GC2, whatever driver is lower spinning, everything else being equal will go farther. This is not reality. I think its REALLY entertaining, to watch these circus actors on youtube, hit a ball that falls out of the sky, with like 1200 spin, and then the GC2 says it was 300 yards. The 1200 spin shot, really, fell out of the sky...that is not enough spin to do anything good.

Flightscope tool. Trackman will be similar.

Shot 1:

2500 spin

168 ball speed

14 degrees launch angle

Flies about ~293 in the air.

Shot 2

1200 spin

168 ball speed

14 degrees launch angle

Flies about ~275 in the air. That is ~18 yards LESS.

But guess what? GC2 is way, way, way off.

This LM should be avoided, its not accurate for distance with Drivers. This is widely known, but circus acts on youtube jump for joy, because the LM says they can carry the ball 300+. Its funny...on their gamegolf stats, why doesn't the carry say 300+ consistently?

HMMM... we got a problem here, houston.. its called, GC2 is LOLZ

I own a GC2 and find everything you are saying is incorrect. I find it accurate and true to my yardages on the course.

M1 460, Shaft TBD
Epic 15*, Oban purple 05 flex
SLDR Rescue, 19 , X Fujikura
Irons (5-P)- PXG 0311, (4) - O311XF, Steelfiber 110
Bettinardi Kutchar - DASS
Edel 51, 55, 59, Steelfiber 110

Golfsmith said they would be in stock Feb 11 FWIW

That's what I thought. But they told him 5-7 biz days. I think he must have ordered something else with it and that's what they were talking about.

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Hit the G LS TEC 9* today. Love the feel, the ball flight and actually the look wasn't distracting at all. The sound was definitely better than the G30, quite the improvement. Hit it alongside the M1 and Callaway 816 Alpha (not the DBD). Performance-wise the GBB and G were great the M1 was a notch below. Also hit the Cobra King LTD I think it was. Not a fan of the Cobra. The M1 was equal to the Ping G LS Tec from a feel and sound standpoint, but it just wasn't quite as "good" as the Ping or the GBB IMO.

The big hit of the day was the Callaway Apex Hybrid. That was the handsdown winner of the day. Three of us went to Carls Golfland in Plymouth, MI and hit a bunch of stuff. We all agreed the Apex Hybrid was a perfect club.

i hit that last weekend in myrtle beach -- a 2i stiff flex. absolute cannon. that and the new cobra hybrid (F6 i believe?)...both were ridiculous. out of the 20 guys we had in our group, we all hit it and loved it. 1 guy bought a cobra hybo on the spot, simply b/c he thought it felt better than the apex...yardages were within 5y of each other.

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

I tried the G LS Tec against my G30 LS Tec and noticed no difference on the launch monitor

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

So much respect for Ping's marketing - not claiming 37 more yards, just 1 mph in clubhead speed for average players compared to g30. That's the kind of honesty that makes Ping different.

Love this comment. Been loyal to my g10 for ten years or so for this reason...it works

That is still Lee Westwoods security blanket... G10 still finds its way into his bag every year

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Always take your current club with you so you can compare head to head. Otherwise you are putting too much trust in the store and the LM.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Anyone hit both the G and M2?

I am pretty ambivalent to brand. I'm just looking for a low/rear CG driver. Ping seems like they've owned that part of the market for awhile, but I think that I'll give TM a chance once I can hit some balls this spring. The complementary shaft upgrades seem pretty compelling too.

I've hit both and me and the M1 didn't get along. For forgiveness hard to beat Ping. length Ping won for me as well but I've heard a lot of people get more yds with the M1...just not for me.

I am pretty ambivalent to brand. I'm just looking for a low/rear CG driver. Ping seems like they've owned that part of the market for awhile, but I think that I'll give TM a chance once I can hit some balls this spring. The complementary shaft upgrades seem pretty compelling too.

I've hit both and me and the M1 didn't get along. For forgiveness hard to beat Ping. length Ping won for me as well but I've heard a lot of people get more yds with the M1...just not for me.

I hit the M2 against the G line this week and I far preferred the M2. I've wanted to game the G30 and now the G LS Tec's but I cannot get around the sound and feel. Looks I can live with and I really do prefer the G over the G30. I still far prefer my i25 over both the G30 and G LS Tec by a large margin. I haven't owned or have wanted to own a TM driver since the SuperQuad TP but I am seriously considering placing an order for the M2. It looks fantastic and the sound and feel were outstanding. Consistently lower launch and longer (for me) in the sim. I like the simplicity of the M2 and it's more forgiving, better sounding, and hotter feeling than the M1. It's plenty forgiving too. Usually the "more forgiving" drivers don't agree with my swing speed and they spin way too much. The M2 was nearly perfect. Probably the only reason I haven't bought it yet is because I know it will be on closeout sale in a few months. TM's own business model has turned against them.

Taylormade M2 9.5* @ 7.5* Rogue 110 Silver 60x
Taylormade M2 15* VTS Red 75x
Ping Rapture DI 18* VTS Silver 85x
Ping S55 3-PW PX Flighted 6.0
Ping Glide 52* SS & Glide 58* SS
Ping Anser Milled #6 35"

I hit the M2 against the G line this week and I far preferred the M2. I've wanted to game the G30 and now the G LS Tec's but I cannot get around the sound and feel. Looks I can live with and I really do prefer the G over the G30. I still far prefer my i25 over both the G30 and G LS Tec by a large margin. I haven't owned or have wanted to own a TM driver since the SuperQuad TP but I am seriously considering placing an order for the M2. It looks fantastic and the sound and feel were outstanding. Consistently lower launch and longer (for me) in the sim. I like the simplicity of the M2 and it's more forgiving, better sounding, and hotter feeling than the M1. It's plenty forgiving too. Usually the "more forgiving" drivers don't agree with my swing speed and they spin way too much. The M2 was nearly perfect. Probably the only reason I haven't bought it yet is because I know it will be on closeout sale in a few months. TM's own business model has turned against them.

How does each compare to your i25?

Went to PGA SS and caught it on a slow day. Was able to hit the G LS Tec vs the G30 LS Tec extensively. As it has been mentioned before, performance was nearly identical (shaft setup and loft were the same). When I flushed both, the G30 actual had a little more distance (3-5 yards carry). The G is definitely aesthetically pleasing behind the ball with the dragonfly crown and the acoustics were more muted. I actually preferred the feel of the G30 though, just felt more stable. Not sure if the dragonfly technology of the G taking some of the weight off of the top of the crown has anything to do with that. Can't go wrong with either, both great clubs.

How does each compare to your i25?

I haven't been able to test all three at the same time yet. I know that there won't be any surprises with the numbers. All perform and give me great results with the i25 and M2 being the longest and lowest spinning consistently. It all comes down to looks and feel for me now. I really have zero reason to buy a new driver but what can I say, I'm a gear junky. Distance is not an issue for me and I maxed out my numbers with my i25 long ago. I just like buying new stuff :)

Ping Anser Milled #6 35"

Lower launch and spin means longer distance in foresight. There won't be a more forgiving driver this year than the G...

Lower launch and spin means longer distance in foresight. There won't be a more forgiving driver this year than the G...

Lower launch means longer distance for me on the golf course. It's not like I'm hitting low bullets or anything and I typically hit my driver really high. I had the M2 launching around 14* while the LS Tec was at 17*. Both were spinning around the same and I'll give up a bit of forgiveness for better looks, sound, and feel any day. I far prefer a lower launching head. With the first demo the M2 really shined. Need to test it up against my i25. I've tried the G drivers 3 times now and they are just not for me. They are fantastic clubs (I love Ping and have owned the G20, G25, and have the G30 FW in the bag) and as much as I've tried to get long with the G30 and G drivers they just don't work for me unfortunately.

Ping Anser Milled #6 35"

Peter Finch crushed the new G Ls Tec over 350 yds today on his LM (hope this link works)

https://www.instagra.../p/BAhTW28sQYa/

I just ordered it in Tour 65 stiff shaft, 9* head, std std, fitted to play it at 9+, also ordered a Cobra F6+ Pro with stiff shaft

These guys Finch and Shiels...

319 carry, 171 ball speed? Really? That is not possible?

171 ball speed is going to yield ~300 carry, IF the launch angle is near perfection, and total distance is going to be near 320 range. So GC2 says 350+.

So GC2 not only wildly exaggerates carry, but the ball must be hitting hard desert fairway to get 30+ yards roll. Its not reality. Doesn't everyone know this by now? Reviews on GC2 are not valid, except for spin, launch angle, etc. Distance is not correct with low spin.

PGA Tour pros are doing ~180 and BARELY carrying 300. Barely.

And common sense tells us, these boys KNOW all this, and how do they know?

Because they HAVE A FLIGHTSCOPE SITTING THERE, in plain sight in all their videos recently. So they know all their "reviews" are nonsense numbers. Because otherwise, they would use a real LM, called Flightscope, or Trackman.

They get ALL excited looking at false numbers. Its like an insane asylum or something. haha KOO KOO KOO KOO

AOA would have a lot to do with it.

One thing I have heard a few times (more so with the G30) is why more tour players don't use the LS version. I have never understood this thinking and there are a few factors involved.

First, (in the case of the G30), the standard version usually comes out first. Tour players are then fit into the standard model.

Second (playing off the first point), we are talking about tour players. All equipment they get is going to be fitted and tweaked to whatever level they choose. Therefore, it doesn't matter if there is a standard head, an LS Tec head, or an SF Tec head. It could be an old ISI head tweaked for them. The head on their driver has been tweaked (loft, head weight, weight placement, etc) wherever they want it.

Third, an OEM's goal is retail sales. The G30 (as well as the G) fits far more players than the specialized LS Tec. It only makes sense to get the flagship product in front of cameras. Say recreational player Eldrick Mclroy Spieth (with his 85 MPH clubhead speed) walks into his doctor's office. while waiting, he picks up an issue of Golf Digest and Stumbles on the In the Bag page (always the first thing I looked at when I had my GD subscription). Featured is Angel Cabrera (I didn't use Bubba because the pink driver head throws another dynamic into this). According to DG, Angel is gaming a Ping G30 LSTec driver. Eldrick McIlroy Spieth thinks to himself "Angel is a bomber. That G30 LSTec must be a big reason why. " The next day, he decides to buy a new driver on a whim. he walks into his golf store and buys a G30 LSTec without going through any fitting. Not seeing any distance gains (in fact, he sees his numbers drop), he trades the club in one month later and switches to another OEM. Ping has lost a customer--maybe forever. Spieth walks away thinking Ping makes a junk product. He doesn't know enough (or care enough) to find out the improvement (and enjoyment) that comes from playing equipment that suits him best. Whereas, if Angel had played a standard G30, Eldrick McIlroy Spieth would have bought a G30 in the first place.

Of course we on Golfwrx, are in the very very small minority of golfers that actually understand about fitting, etc. Of course none of us would play equipment just because a tour player does :taunt:

One thing I have heard a few times (more so with the G30) is why more tour players don't use the LS version. I have never understood this thinking and there are a few factors involved.

First, (in the case of the G30), the standard version usually comes out first. Tour players are then fit into the standard model.

Second (playing off the first point), we are talking about tour players. All equipment they get is going to be fitted and tweaked to whatever level they choose. Therefore, it doesn't matter if there is a standard head, an LS Tec head, or an SF Tec head. It could be an old ISI head tweaked for them. The head on their driver has been tweaked (loft, head weight, weight placement, etc) wherever they want it.

Third, an OEM's goal is retail sales. The G30 (as well as the G) fits far more players than the specialized LS Tec. It only makes sense to get the flagship product in front of cameras. Say recreational player Eldrick Mclroy Spieth (with his 85 MPH clubhead speed) walks into his doctor's office. while waiting, he picks up an issue of Golf Digest and Stumbles on the In the Bag page (always the first thing I looked at when I had my GD subscription). Featured is Angel Cabrera (I didn't use Bubba because the pink driver head throws another dynamic into this). According to DG, Angel is gaming a Ping G30 LSTec driver. Eldrick McIlroy Spieth thinks to himself "Angel is a bomber. That G30 LSTec must be a big reason why. " The next day, he decides to buy a new driver on a whim. he walks into his golf store and buys a G30 LSTec without going through any fitting. Not seeing any distance gains (in fact, he sees his numbers drop), he trades the club in one month later and switches to another OEM. Ping has lost a customer--maybe forever. Spieth walks away thinking Ping makes a junk product. He doesn't know enough (or care enough) to find out the improvement (and enjoyment) that comes from playing equipment that suits him best. Whereas, if Angel had played a standard G30, Eldrick McIlroy Spieth would have bought a G30 in the first place.

Of course we on Golfwrx, are in the very very small minority of golfers that actually understand about fitting, etc. Of course none of us would play equipment just because a tour player does :taunt:

Great points indeed.

But it is interesting that you *didn't* use Bubba as your example, since Ping painted his G25 with racing stripes to look like an i25 a couple of years ago. I'm assuming that they were trying to drive i25 sales, but that was a bit odd since the G25 was probably better for the average player (comment based only on my personal testing of each).