2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Official WRX Gear Trials Event Thread: Results are in and Data live- Page 27

So was the king a good fit for anybody with a swing speed around 100 or under? Seems like it was a good fit for high swing speed players.

In a one word answer, no.

I was in the 100mph and under group, and none if us had LTD at the top of our list. I liked the look and feel, but as I mentioned earlier, it simply produced slower ball speeds than other drivers we tested.

However, F6 faired well in our group and ended up being my over all second best driver. Ping G LS beat it for me. So, if you like Cobra and you swing around 100 mph like me, I'd highly suggest giving F6 a try.

It's also lower spin, so unless you're swinging 98 and launching it at 14+, it's going to be a tricky fit. I could see the Pings, GBB, F6, and M2 being easier options.
Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So was the king a good fit for anybody with a swing speed around 100 or under? Seems like it was a good fit for high swing speed players.

I think I was only ~102 and besides the launch being a little low it worked well for me. Both the LTD and G are sitting on my porch at home, I just finished my second round in FL and put on a driving clinic with my g30 LST so it's going to be tough to move on from Ping for me.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Did a second fitting today, eye opener

Cobra LTD was the winner by quite a bit for total yards ... Rogue black 60x

(F6 noise at impact was NFG)

Crazy good launch results for LTD .... Best one ... 108.8, 274 carry, 16 launch and ~ 2000 spin ... 311 total. .... Foresight is cool but it is it seems 4mph low for swing speed vs Trackman FYI ... Per the fitter ... This was at 11.5*

Best avg. ball speed and swing speed were both GBB .... But man it's left biased for me

816 dbd makes a whoosh on the backswing

New xr16 not much better than my old XR for total yardage ... Though callys were tops in overall swing speed across all models

Tried about 10 different head and shaft combos across Cally and Cobra

Ping G400 LST 11* Project X 7.0 6A4

Cally AI Smoke TD 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo 7

I think I was only ~102 and besides the launch being a little low it worked well for me. Both the LTD and G are sitting on my porch at home, I just finished my second round in FL and put on a driving clinic with my g30 LST so it's going to be tough to move on from Ping for me.

Cant wait to here how it works out. I don't mind having a spare driver around the house.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I have an Ltd coming with an elements chrome shaft. My driver ss is right around 100 so we shall see. I have consistently hit the Ltd 3 wood so well off the tee that I'm taking a flyer on the driver. Can't hit the three wood off the deck whatsoever though. It's basically become a mini driver for me even though it's not deep faced.

I've got a couple rounds under my belt with my M1 with Tour ADDI7x and have great news to report. After switching shafts I have picked up a lot of yardage without sacrificing much, if any accuracy off the tee. It is great! Today made I an eagle and 3 birdies and shot 75. Made an 8 on a par 5 after bombing my driver, it was brutal lol

Definitely really really enjoying my M1

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Played nine today. Has anybody else who has been following this thread, when they play with other people now find you are thinking to yourself after others in your group hit their driver: "Ah, you need higher launch with that swing speed" or "Too much spin on that one" or "Needs a more fade bias face" etc.? Haha.

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Played nine today. Has anybody else who has been following this thread, when they play with other people now find you are thinking to yourself after others in your group hit their driver: "Ah, you need higher launch with that swing speed" or "Too much spin on that one" or "Needs a more fade bias face" etc.? Haha.

In tournaments, which is usually the only time I play with people consistent enough to tell the difference, I definitely notice such things. Though, I didn't realize that I was costing myself yards with what I was playing previously until just recently.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Unfortunately, I've had that disease for quite a while now. Fortunately, most of the time I can keep my mouth shut :-)

It was loads of fun during the trials watching others and trying to guess the rough spin rates and launch angle before the LM spit out the results.

Never...only thought I have is where is going to be a good place to press or asking them "Do you wanna put another play on"?

I went back to Miles of Golf today to meet with Shawn again to test out my newly acquired King LTD Pro head with their AD DI 7x shaft against my G30 LST as I currently have it with the AD MT 7x, and to try my driver with the AD DI 7x, to do a real comparison. I went in expecting to confirm my expectation that the King LTD Pro was really a lot better than either. But after today's testing, I really don't know what i'mm going to do.

I started OSU hitting my gamer with the AD MT, and then switched to the AD DI, and my ball speed seriously jumped by about 4 mph. Smash was better, and so was dispersion. It got even better when I lofted it down to the lowest setting (I played my LST in the neutral setting).

I then hit the King LTD, and we figured out that the 7.5 degree setting was the way to go. When I miss with it on the heel, which is my most common miss, it still spins under 3000 rpm most of the time. When I hit it on the screws, it feels like hitting a marshmallow, and the spin is somewhere between 1700-1800. The weird thing is, according to the Trackman, I swing the LTD Pro a good 3-5 mph slower than other drivers. I get better smash factor, but the ball speed was still less than I was getting with my G30 LST with the same shaft. It doesn't feel like I'm any slower, so I wonder if there's something about the head that fools the monitor, which inflates the smash factor.

Shawn said that he wished he could have me test a P9003x, but they didn't have one in. Since I am truly devoted to science, I found and bought one to put into my LST, and I intend to test that out against the LTD Pro with the AD DI 7x. I don't think the P9003 would be a good combo with the King, because the King already spins so little.

I too found LTD to be slower club head and ball speed.

The fitter I work with told me almost everyone swings LTD a couple mph slower on average, and most find ball speed decreases as well.

However, because of its super low spin quality, some of the faster guys get better numbers even though ball speed is down.

The more I think about this, the less it makes sense to me. I don't understand what about the King LTD makes it so people would really swing that much slower. It's not like it weighs 5 pounds more or anything. I'm really wondering if there's something about the head that tricks the monitor when it records the clubhead speed. The thing that keeps me interested in the King LTD is the great efficiency/smash numbers I'm getting, but if the clubhead speed numbers aren't totally accurate, that could just be an illusion.

I think the only way to find out, really, is to get both of them out on the course to compare in the real world.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I went back to Miles of Golf today to meet with Shawn again to test out my newly acquired King LTD Pro head with their AD DI 7x shaft against my G30 LST as I currently have it with the AD MT 7x, and to try my driver with the AD DI 7x, to do a real comparison. I went in expecting to confirm my expectation that the King LTD Pro was really a lot better than either. But after today's testing, I really don't know what i'mm going to do.

I started OSU hitting my gamer with the AD MT, and then switched to the AD DI, and my ball speed seriously jumped by about 4 mph. Smash was better, and so was dispersion. It got even better when I lofted it down to the lowest setting (I played my LST in the neutral setting).

I then hit the King LTD, and we figured out that the 7.5 degree setting was the way to go. When I miss with it on the heel, which is my most common miss, it still spins under 3000 rpm most of the time. When I hit it on the screws, it feels like hitting a marshmallow, and the spin is somewhere between 1700-1800. The weird thing is, according to the Trackman, I swing the LTD Pro a good 3-5 mph slower than other drivers. I get better smash factor, but the ball speed was still less than I was getting with my G30 LST with the same shaft. It doesn't feel like I'm any slower, so I wonder if there's something about the head that fools the monitor, which inflates the smash factor.

Shawn said that he wished he could have me test a P9003x, but they didn't have one in. Since I am truly devoted to science, I found and bought one to put into my LST, and I intend to test that out against the LTD Pro with the AD DI 7x. I don't think the P9003 would be a good combo with the King, because the King already spins so little.

The fitter I work with told me almost everyone swings LTD a couple mph slower on average, and most find ball speed decreases as well.

However, because of its super low spin quality, some of the faster guys get better numbers even though ball speed is down.

The more I think about this, the less it makes sense to me. I don't understand what about the King LTD makes it so people would really swing that much slower. It's not like it weighs 5 pounds more or anything. I'm really wondering if there's something about the head that tricks the monitor when it records the clubhead speed. The thing that keeps me interested in the King LTD is the great efficiency/smash numbers I'm getting, but if the clubhead speed numbers aren't totally accurate, that could just be an illusion.

I think the only way to find out, really, is to get both of them out on the course to compare in the real world.

On course is ALWAYS the best. I'm testing several drivers and there are no swing speed changes between them including the King LTD.

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

I've actually seen the opposite with the King LTD. I swing it on average with other drivers, if not a little bit faster. I was comparing the Vapor Fly Pro & LTD Pro a couple weeks ago. My SS was consistently 116-118 with the VFP but 117-121 with the LTD Pro. Ball speeds were also up, averaging around 168 with the LTD Pro and more like 165 with the VFP. I still think either the ball speed is low on these machines, or the club speed is a little high. I hit my driver very well and even on my best hits, smash is like 1.43 lol there is no way.

I'm planning on trying the XR16 Pro with the Diamana Whiteboard. Finally found that shaft at the store, but it only has a Callaway adapter. Wanted to try it with the VFP, but who knows. It's much harder to find shafts at the local store when you need X or TX variants.

Good to see everyone is loving their newly fitted driver(s)!!! Love reading about this stuff and it seems like Golf WRX has some really dedicated members to not only Golf, but helping each other out, which is great to see.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

I actually talked to Gbone about this because of his findings of lower swing speeds, my fitter said to only pay attention to ball speed as some heads can read differently. In his case ball speed was down too, what about you?

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

For me the LTD was slower swing speeds than the GBB and X16pro .. but best efficiency and carry and total yardage

Ping G400 LST 11* Project X 7.0 6A4

Cally AI Smoke TD 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo 7

I actually talked to Gbone about this because of his findings of lower swing speeds, my fitter said to only pay attention to ball speed as some heads can read differently. In his case ball speed was down too, what about you?

Ball speed with my gamer averaged a touch about 160. Putting the AD DI 7x into it made it jump by more than 4 mph on average. Ball speed with the King was close, but a mph or two slower. The trackman was having trouble getting spin (a lot of double, triple and quadruple readings, and no spin readings on several) numbers, so it was hard to get a really good feel for what the difference was in that department, but based on ball flight, the King was significantly lower. At this point, I need to just stop obsessing about it and wait until I can get both of them out on the course. Trackman and fitting is great to a point, but it's not a substitute for on-course results. This is what sucks about winter -- too much time to think, and no chance to get real answers.

Guys,

We could not be more excited to publish this year's 2016 Gear Trials: Best Driver Club Test: http://www.golfwrx.c...ers-club-test/.

Thank you so much for all your support and inspiration, GolfWRXers. I have never been more proud to call myself a GolfWRXer than I am today. I hope that you all enjoy reading through these (many, many) articles as much as we enjoyed creating them. This entire experience was amazing, from meeting the testers to reading the evolving discussion on this thread. 2016 Gear Trials is something truly new and special, and we're so exited for you feedback.

- Zak

Guys,

We could not be more excited to publish this year's 2016 Gear Trials: Best Driver Club Test: http://www.golfwrx.c...ers-club-test/.

Thank you so much for all your support and inspiration, GolfWRXers. I have never been more proud to call myself a GolfWRXer than I am today. I hope that you all enjoy reading through these (many, many) articles as much as we enjoyed creating them. This entire experience was amazing, from meeting the testers to reading the evolving discussion on this thread. 2016 Gear Trials is something truly new and special, and we're so exited for you feedback.

- Zak

Here we go......!!

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Guys,

- Zak

Very well presented, you can see the amount of work the GolfWRX Staff put into it, tastefully done.

Guys,

- Zak

Very well presented, you can see the amount of work the GolfWRX Staff put into it, tastefully done.

Thank you! I can tell you that we knew after the event that we had it right. You could tell by the feedback by the members as well as the testers that there was little left on the table. We knew that there finally was a test that ranked drivers better than test before. The job to make the results readable and compelling as the actual data was the trick.

GolfWRX is going to get some calls and or emails today. There are sponsors that didn't fair well. It is what it is. Let the chips fall as they will. We are here for the golfers and not for any other reason. This event and awards feels right.

Richard

Thank you! I can tell you that we knew after the event that we had it right. You could tell by the feedback by the members as well as the testers that there was little left on the table. We knew that there finally was a test that ranked drivers better than test before. The job to make the results readable and compelling as the actual data was the trick.

GolfWRX is going to get some calls and or emails today. There are sponsors that didn't fair well. It is what it is. Let the chips fall as they will. We are here for the golfers and not for any other reason. This event and awards feels right.

Richard

Way to be bold! Ditto the compliments that have already started coming in from the users who appreciate and benefit from it.

I have a feeling I know where all the comments are going to be found.... Is there any reason to abandon what's already been started in this thread?!

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

There goes this afternoon's productivity...

Richard

Way to be bold! Ditto the compliments that have already started coming in from the users who appreciate and benefit from it.

I have a feeling I know where all the comments are going to be found.... Is there any reason to abandon what's already been started in this thread?!

There will always be opinions that dont agree with it. I am sure there will be a few here as well. But NEVER before have we had such a test. A test where "YOU" the members came out and actually hit all the clubs. The data was captured and the winners are based off of that data.

No that being the case we have a lot of OEM's that didnt show up in the finals. Each tester had 3 finalists and you can see all of them near the bottom of the frontpage article... http://www.golfwrx.c...lub-test/ Some OEM's didnt make any of the finals. That is going to leave a mark.

We could not avoid that. Some heads work well and some did not.

We heard the readers and members of WRX last year loud and clear. We listened and adjusted. This is awesome!

R

Who cares about distance.... what driver was the most accurate.

Titleist Ts4 9.5* Accra TZ6 M5
Ping G400 5w Motore Speeder VC 7.3x
Mizuno HMB 3 Nippon 120x

Mizuno MP20 4-P Nippon 120x
Cleveland Zipcore 52, 56 Ti S400

Cleveland Rtx 4 60-03 Ti S400
Ping Heppler ZB3
ProV1

What if it only went 70% the distance of a driver you hit longer? If you could get a driver that kept you in play and went close to the longest would you pick that?

If you read into the testers data articles it will tell a story about that balance.

We picked drivers based on overall performance, so that was based on a combination of distance and accuracy. The individual Trackman reports show dispersion, if that's what you're interested in seeing.

I am pretty sure that most of us were looking for the best combination of both, I know a few guys mentioned they were. I thought my top 3 offered the best of accuracy and distance for me.

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube