2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How to dress...

I fully understand what you are feeling. I had those same exact feeling last year. Being new to more competitive golf and joining a club I was actually feeling under dressed but did not want to wear clothes that I kind of felt that I haven't earned yet. I ended up giving in and buying some nicer clothes. I can tell you that I feel better about myself and it almost seems as though I am more respected. Most folks don't care about what you wear but if you are under dressed you will almost always be seen as a hack. So I say get your new wardrobe.

How do you earn the right to wear certain clothes. I just don't understand this at all.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never will understand the whole "as long as you have the game to back it up" nonsense regarding what a golfer wears. Are high handicap (BAD) golfers supposed to dress badly? Is there a 30+ HDCP specialty section in apparel? Or are they supposed to go to a store like the "big and tall" guys except they just don't know it? If you were to remove all clothing that is endorsed by athletes, movie stars, etc... there wouldn't be much left for us posers to wear lol.

Actually there would be. They're usually the first guys to have the all volt wardrobe on. Or the all orange. Or the tiger red and Black. They're actually very easy to spot. As Denzel says "the loudest dressed one in the room...is the weakest one in the room"

Instead of just knocking people for what they shouldn't wear... maybe enlighten everyone on what brands and colors are acceptable as it sounds like you have it all figured out.

Driver PXG Black OPS 9 deg with Tensei white 65

4 wood PXG Black OPS 17 deg with Tensei white 75

Callaway Apex UT #3 driving iron with DG mid 115

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 s300

Wedges Ping S159 54s and 60s with DG s300 

Odyssey Ai-one Jailbird Cruiser 

Pro V1 

I never will understand the whole "as long as you have the game to back it up" nonsense regarding what a golfer wears. Are high handicap (BAD) golfers supposed to dress badly? Is there a 30+ HDCP specialty section in apparel? Or are they supposed to go to a store like the "big and tall" guys except they just don't know it? If you were to remove all clothing that is endorsed by athletes, movie stars, etc... there wouldn't be much left for us posers to wear lol.

Actually there would be. They're usually the first guys to have the all volt wardrobe on. Or the all orange. Or the tiger red and Black. They're actually very easy to spot. As Denzel says "the loudest dressed one in the room...is the weakest one in the room"

Instead of just knocking people for what they shouldn't wear... maybe enlighten everyone on what brands and colors are acceptable as it sounds like you have it all figured out.

There are zero restrictions on what you can wear (besides course rules, you do have to follow those).

The nobodies saying otherwise on here, or poking fun at the course are likely just insecure, and hate to see you enjoying yourself.

I wear a flat bill, white pants, grey alligator belt, and bright pink polo sometimes. It's not as funny when a dude in that outfit just beat you by 4 strokes per side.

There are zero restrictions on what you can wear (besides course rules, you do have to follow those).

The nobodies saying otherwise on here, or poking fun at the course are likely just insecure, and hate to see you enjoying yourself.

I wear a flat bill, white pants, grey alligator belt, and bright pink polo sometimes. It's not as funny when a dude in that outfit just beat you by 4 strokes per side.

Your quote still implies that a certain level of game is required to wear flashy clothes. Which is incongruent with your first statement regarding there being no restrictions. It's still OK for you to wear the flat bill and white pants even if you were to lose by four a side.

At the end of the day you should just buy a wardrobe that makes you comfortable and confident. There are a lot of good brands out there, so I really don't think I could recommend one over the other. Here are my tips for not looking like a poser:

1. If it is above 65* WEAR SHORTS. Nothing screams poser like a guy who is wearing long pants when it is 90 effin degrees outside. Look at any PGA charity event that is held in the summer and see what the pro's are wearing. I'll give you a hint: you can see their ankles. I find a hard time believing that anyone enjoys wearing pants in the summer. So as long as your not a Southern Baptist or a Mennonite; wear shorts when you can.

2. Stay away from one brand coordinated outfits. Being partial to a brand is fine, but wearing a Nike Hat, shirt, pants, shoes, and having a whole bag of Nike clubs and not being paid for it is straight out of the Poser Handbook.

3. This is not really a poser rule, but important none the less: Wear clothes that fit. By that I mean don't wear baggy clothes. Your pants should be tapered and your shirt should not look like a shower curtain on you. And never ever wear baggy Khakis.

4. Wearing shorts that are bright are one thing, but you wearing pants that are any color other than khaki, black, or grey is usually going to set off a poser alert. White pants are not that bad, but good luck keeping the bottoms clean.

5. Last but not least: IT'S ALL ABOUT THE SHOES. A nice pair of golf shoes will keep you comfortable on the course and usually are the focal point of any outfit. Like Forest Gump says: "Mama always said you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes". There are so many options out there now. You can go classic with a pair of Foot Joy saddles, or modern with Nike Lunar Controls or Puma Titan Ignites. I like to have at least one pair of white golf shoes and one pair of black to make sure I have a pair to match a variety of outfits.

Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana D+
Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

All i'm saying is that if you show up to the course ( or anywhere for that matter) dressed like a highlighter - you're going to get attention. And you're aware of that because that's why you wore it in the first place....you wanted to "stand out"....which is code for "i want more attention". The only thing that some people can't handle is that it won't ALL be positive. You're going to get flack. It also goes both ways. I get flack for being preppy all the time. The key is to not be "insulted" by it.

I think the argument around high handicappers "dressing up" is that a lot of people can view that as they care more about looking the part than actually getting better at playing golf. From their clothes it looks like they are taking the game seriously, but from their game it looks like they haven't played in years. Just sort of a contradiction.

All i'm saying is that if you show up to the course ( or anywhere for that matter) dressed like a highlighter - you're going to get attention. And you're aware of that because that's why you wore it in the first place....you wanted to "stand out"....which is code for "i want more attention". The only thing that some people can't handle is that it won't ALL be positive. You're going to get flack. It also goes both ways. I get flack for being preppy all the time. The key is to not be "insulted" by it.

the funny thing is that I am not personally insulted by this. I am also not insulted by what others wear at the golf course... weather its overstated or understated... doesn't matter. I just have a hard time buying into the you need game to dress well attitude.

Pro V1 

the funny thing is that I am not personally insulted by this. I am also not insulted by what others wear at the golf course... weather its overstated or understated... doesn't matter. I just have a hard time buying into the you need game to dress well attitude.

You don't need game to dress well. i don't think anyone is saying that. You need game if you're going to dress like this

The wear what you want advice is best.

But to answer your question, I think that when the shirt, hat, and pants all have prominent manufacturer logos, it will get attention. Bonus points if it's also on the belt/glove/bag, and even more if they're all the same.

For me though that really only happens on the first tee where people do their initial sizing up their playing partners. After a couple of holes how you act is going to be a much bigger influence than what you're wearing.

But if you're head to toe orange Puma for 4 hours, no matter what the Rickie quesiton IS gonna come up :-)

I think the argument around high handicappers "dressing up" is that a lot of people can view that as they care more about looking the part than actually getting better at playing golf. From their clothes it looks like they are taking the game seriously, but from their game it looks like they haven't played in years. Just sort of a contradiction.

I think alot of high handicappers/beginners dress up because that's what they see so many other amateur golfers doing. Look at the arguments that happen on Wrx about what is proper golf attire.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

It's your money and you can decide how to spend it. If you like something ,and can afford it, who is to say you can't buy it? If you are going to buy it, wear/use it.

Keep it simple.

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

Oh LAWD some of these replies.....you need a HDCP to backup an outfit now!?.....Man buy what you want, wear what you want, enjoy your money, and screw other peoples opinions. As long as you are comfortable and meet whatever the minimum rules for where you are playing wear whatever floats the boat.

If you want to look like a neon highlighter head to toe more powa to ya.

Cobra F9 TL 10.5 Atmos Black 7x
Cobra F8+ 3/4 &/or 5/6 Tour Blue 85x
Cobra F8 2H Element EarthX &/or Cobra F9 4H PX6.5
Ping I210 5-PW LZ 6.0
Ping Stealth 2.0 50/54/58 LZ 6.0

Some form of a Scotty, Betti, Spider

There's these ideas is psychology called the "looking glass self" and "meta-perceptions." In a nutshell, we shape ourselves based on how we believe others perceive us. Most of the time we are completely wrong in how we think we are being perceived by others. Point is, stop caring about what others think because what you think they are thinking is probably not so. And if they are, who cares? If they say anything, smile, flip em the bird, and go on about your day.

Oh LAWD some of these replies.....you need a HDCP to backup an outfit now!?.....Man buy what you want, wear what you want, enjoy your money, and screw other peoples opinions. As long as you are comfortable and meet whatever the minimum rules for where you are playing wear whatever floats the boat.

If you want to look like a neon highlighter head to toe more powa to ya.

Nuts isn't it.

Its probably me, but I tend to gravitate towards updated simple classics. I'll see old pictures of Palmer, Hogan, Nicklaus, etc and find myself most comfortable in modern revived versions of those styles. Then again, my twenties are a dim memory, so it also boils down to what's an age-appropriate look for me. That's not to say i don't appreciate some of the styles that today's popular young players are wearing - I like a good deal of their styles, but they just don't seem like the right style for me.

IMO, a well-put-together wardrobe will be gleaned elements from various individuals' styles the wearer likes and based on those preferences, fabricate their own style to form a composite of the many different styles they've seen and like.

But, its already been said. Wear what makes you FEEL like a golfer. And once you discover that...wait for the clothes to go on sale. :)

Most of all, enjoy yourself.

we just had a traits of a poser/dressing like a poser thread shut down this morning surely this one is headed that way.

Wear what you want who cares what others think// END THREAD

Except OP asked for some advice, so he cares what others think. Golfers are a pretty judgmental group. Maybe he just wants to fit in.

OP - you don't have to wear golf specific clothing, A collared shirt, no blue jeans, and no metal spikes are the only "rules" I know of.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

I give props to those that want to dress like Rickie... everyone has there own thing they like... I couldn't pull it off but that's me and I could care less if they have game or not... I wear what fits and I don't focus on one brand because generally I find one brand fits better in the pants/ shorts and another brand fits better with shirts. Everyone has their own thoughts regarding what's right and wrong however those are just opinions and not rules. Sometimes we forget that some people actually golf more for the social aspect than the sport of it and being dressed up in whatever they show up in can be a big part of that.

Pro V1 

Here's my stance on golf attire, if I saw someone who I wanted a job from on the course would I be comfortable approaching them in what I'm wearing. I think I dress a hair conservatively for my age, but try to utilize fit to modernize it.

And also to combat the who cares what people think crew like it or not we live in a society where it matters how you look and present yourself. Personally I chose to accept that and get out in front of it.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Here's my stance on golf attire, if I saw someone who I wanted a job from on the course would I be comfortable approaching them in what I'm wearing. I think I dress a hair conservatively for my age, but try to utilize fit to modernize it.

And also to combat the who cares what people think crew like it or not we live in a society where it matters how you look and present yourself. Personally I chose to accept that and get out in front of it.

This is not a true statement. Certain segments of society, yes. Other segments of society, no.

I and people I work with make good money as a developers and QA folks. Every single one of us dress casually - to varying degrees. And I'm sure I have a lot of years on you.

This is not a true statement. Certain segments of society, yes. Other segments of society, no.

I and people I work with make good money as a developers and QA folks. Every single one of us dress casually - to varying degrees. And I'm sure I have a lot of years on you.

My golf attire is "louder" than what I'd wear to the office but I feel non-neutral colors are not only allowed but encouraged on the golf course. I'll wear black pants/shorts with electric blue polo, or black on black, or whatever I feel like that combines some class with golf course suitability. That's if I'm getting dressed at home or planning to dress for golf. In the trunk of my car is my "emergency' golf attire should the opportunity arise to play, I don't want to get forced to decline to play because I'm wearing jeans and/or dress shirt at work.

When Calloway, Ping, Nike, or whomever start to pay for my clothes, I'll worry about brands. Two weeks at the airport in San Diego, the PGA store had a sale on Ping clothes and hats. So, I picked up a shirt, sweater, and hat for $65.

Discounting jeans on the golf course; let's keep that out of the discussion, how much difference is there between these casual folks and the well dressed folks on the golf course? Given the norms of the golf club, almost everyone is wearing the same clothes anyways. If you're looking for expensive labels, you won't them on me unless I got a great deal on them at Marshall's.

My golf attire is "louder" than what I'd wear to the office but I feel non-neutral colors are not only allowed but encouraged on the golf course. I'll wear black pants/shorts with electric blue polo, or black on black, or whatever I feel like that combines some class with golf course suitability. That's if I'm getting dressed at home or planning to dress for golf. In the trunk of my car is my "emergency' golf attire should the opportunity arise to play, I don't want to get forced to decline to play because I'm wearing jeans and/or dress shirt at work.

When Calloway, Ping, Nike, or whomever start to pay for my clothes, I'll worry about brands. Two weeks at the airport in San Diego, the PGA store had a sale on Ping clothes and hats. So, I picked up a shirt, sweater, and hat for $65.

Discounting jeans on the golf course; let's keep that out of the discussion, how much difference is there between these casual folks and the well dressed folks on the golf course? Given the norms of the golf club, almost everyone is wearing the same clothes anyways. If you're looking for expensive labels, you won't them on me unless I got a great deal on them at Marshall's.

Why leave jeans on the course out of the discussion? I wear jeans at any course that allows it (which is the majority that I play) when the weather is cool.

At the end of the day, wear what you want and what is acceptable in your neck of the woods. That said, if you are really concerned about the "poser" " label, stick to brown and black belts and stay away from orange or other brightly colored pants. Wear decent quality stuff and color match but there is zero need be head to toe in one brand.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Why leave jeans on the course out of the discussion? I wear jeans at any course that allows it (which is the majority that I play) when the weather is cool.

While you may be a rebel outlaw, rockin your Wranglers on the course, they just aren't very comfortable.

I'm no country club guy, but I dont see many courses allowing jeans in my area (NC).

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

Completely agree and I'm the same, I was just trying to convey how I pick my attire. I'd say I'm more of a pastel guy in the summer and then navy with brighter shirts in the cooler seasons. Personally I just try to stay out of the bright, monochromatic zone. Either one bold one conservative or a blend of middles.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

While you may be a rebel outlaw, rockin your Wranglers on the course, they just aren't very comfortable.

I'm no country club guy, but I dont see many courses allowing jeans in my area (NC).

See that's what I don't get, I wore jeans to the sim the other day and could not understand why people like golfing in them, plus the pockets are a pain to get stuff out of.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Agreed. Although I would wear them to the range, I would never wear them on the course. Modern tech fabric clothes only.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1