2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How to dress...

To each his own but I think clean and neat should go without saying.I don't see the big issue with cargo shorts, they're pretty common on the courses I play but once I started looking here and seeing what other people are saying about them I started looking differently at what I wear. I still have several pairs of cargo's but also now have a few pair of Haggar Cool 18's that I would have never considered before. Funny thing is I have started wearing the cargo's less and the Haggar's more because they're cooler and comfortable.

[u][b]WITB[/b][/u]

Callaway XR16 10.5
Callaway XR16 4W
Callaway XR16 7W
Callaway XR OS 4H
Callaway Apex CF16 5-PW
Callaway MD3 50S, 54S, 58S
SC Newport 3
Callaway Supersoft

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hat, glove, belt and shoes have to match in color, but not brand.

I think it looks cool.

Footjoy shoes (white and black)

Footjoy glove (white and black)

Nike hat (white and black)

Nike belt (white and black)

Besides that I have a few pairs of Under Armour shorts (cargo, but very lightweight black, gray, khaki)

Adidas pants for cooler temps (flat front-black and khaki)

5-6 different colored Nike polos with the small logo on sleeve.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

My question is why not. They are golfers, you are a golfer. What is the issue. I like to look sharp when I golf. I tend to wear Adidas brand stuff since I stick to my Tmag brand. I also wear Travis Mathews stuff as well. Better than going out on a course wearing random khakis or jeans. If I played Cobra irons and woods, I would not hesitate at all to pick up Puma gear. Same goes for the Swoosh. I honestly do not care what people wear. I am more interested in the game. There is one thing I recommend and that is to never ever should you wear even on a muni golf course Jeans.. Other than that dress to impress is what I was taught.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

To each his own but I think clean and neat should go without saying.I don't see the big issue with cargo shorts, they're pretty common on the courses I play but once I started looking here and seeing what other people are saying about them I started looking differently at what I wear. I still have several pairs of cargo's but also now have a few pair of Haggar Cool 18's that I would have never considered before. Funny thing is I have started wearing the cargo's less and the Haggar's more because they're cooler and comfortable.

I don't see the issue with cargo shorts either, at least the ones that aren't huge and baggy. I have several that the cargo pocket is fairly non noticeable.

They gladly took my money and let me play at Pebble Beach while wearing them.

I never realized men cared so much about clothes until I joined this forum.

I see people constantly post this on this forum and I just don't understand it. You're telling me you don't care what you look like when you leave your house? There's nothing wrong with not wanting to look like a bum in public.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Titleist 910D3 Tour AD-DI
Titleist 910F 19* Project X
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW KBS Tour-V
Titleist SM5 50*F/54*M/58*K KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Select Newport[/font]

I see people constantly post this on this forum and I just don't understand it. You're telling me you don't care what you look like when you leave your house? There's nothing wrong with not wanting to look like a bum in public.

It never fails. When I'm "just running out quick" and don't shave or just toss on some gym shorts, that's when I see 900 people I know.

Any other time I never see anyone, but nooooooo, I can't get that lucky when I'm bumming it.

I never realized how much I care about clothes, until I took up golf.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

My question is why not. They are golfers, you are a golfer. What is the issue. I like to look sharp when I golf. I tend to wear Adidas brand stuff since I stick to my Tmag brand. I also wear Travis Mathews stuff as well. Better than going out on a course wearing random khakis or jeans. If I played Cobra irons and woods, I would not hesitate at all to pick up Puma gear. Same goes for the Swoosh. I honestly do not care what people wear. I am more interested in the game. There is one thing I recommend and that is to never ever should you wear even on a muni golf course Jeans.. Other than that dress to impress is what I was taught.

I'll wear my jeans on the course every single time when it us allowed and the weather calls for it. And I will never ever worry about who I am impressing or offending by what I wear.

I'll wear my jeans on the course every single time when it us allowed and the weather calls for it. And I will never ever worry about who I am impressing or offending by what I wear.

I have a buddy who wears Jeans to the course and to church and to the restaurant during dinner time. Yes you can wear Jeans. But why?

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

I have a buddy who wears Jeans to the course and to church and to the restaurant during dinner time. Yes you can wear Jeans. But why?

Because they are comfortable.

Do you wear velcro shoes because they are easier than laces?

Denim has its place, I've just never found it around a golf course.

For most of us who view golf as an athletic activity, prefer fabrics and clothing that wouldn't hinder athletic movements. I think most people would argue that denim may not be the best for that.

You have every right to defend wearing denim on the course, just like we have the right to assume you are a redneck and a hack for doing so. Neither one of us is wholly correct, but we're not totally wrong either.

For most of us who view golf as an athletic activity, prefer fabrics and clothing that wouldn't hinder athletic movements. I think most people would argue that denim may not be the best for that.

You have every right to defend wearing denim on the course, just like we have the right to assume you are a redneck and a hack for doing so. Neither one of us is wholly correct, but we're not totally wrong either.

This is what's wrong with these threads and golf in general in certain ways. I don't wear jeans that often and certainly don't when playing golf as I find them heavy and hot. I would wear shorts every time if I could. That said, i don't care if someone else does. I certainly don't assume they are a redneck or a hack if they are wearing jeans. Being judgmental in this way based purely on what someone is wearing drives people away from the game.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

If you go read post#13, i tried to offer real help to the genuine question that was the start of the thread. unfortunately, too many people chimed in with "wear what you want, screw what other people think!"

While I agree with the sentiment, this isn't very helpful. While you may not care about the way you dress or the way others do, many people do and like it or not, people form opinions about others based on their appearance.

I don't know where you live or the courses you play, but denim isn't a common sight on local courses minus the low end municipal and public courses.

embracing the fact that our clothes say something about us is not a new concept. people shouldn't be chastised for thinking so, as well as those who don't place any value in the clothes they wear or how they are presenting themselves to the world.

If being judged keeps you from doing anything, maybe you're better off just staying inside, where its safe.

Judge people on how they play, not how they look. If he can kick your @$$ in jeans, who's really the "hack"?

Or better yet, stop being a dick and don't judge people....

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Wear a cap that you like, doesn't have to be golf related. I often wear a Patagonia ball cap that says "Live Simply" on it. It helps go with the laid back attitude of my golf game.

Wear a solid or striped polo, any color you want. It doesn't really matter. Orange, red on a Sunday, no one truly gives a ****.

Wear neutral bottoms - khaki, grey, black, white, navy - nothing over the top and they pair w/ everything.

Wear a white, black, grey, brown belt.

Grab a nice pair of Footjoys.

You're all set. If someone makes fun of you for this outfit - they're undoubtedly an insecure ***** and you have zero reasons to care what they think.

I wore white pants to an individual golf tourney one time. Before my round on the putting green, one guy was giving me endless amounts of crap for my "gay tour" pants. I shot 69 that day and lost in a playoff to the eventual state amateur champ; he shot in the 90's and finished almost dead last. When we got home that night, who had a more enjoying day you think?

How do you guys go about dressing without someone labeling you as a Rory poser or calling you Ricky? Or does it not bother you?

I want to buy a new golf wardrobe but don't know I should go about it?

If I dressed like Phil does, I'd kick my own a**.

With the cost of Phil's wardrobe you could afford a couple body guards to protect against self-harm

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

How do you guys go about dressing without someone labeling you as a Rory poser or calling you Ricky? Or does it not bother you?

I want to buy a new golf wardrobe but don't know I should go about it?

I answered earlier but after reading some of the other posts, my initial response probably was not much help...so to answer your question, I would not worry about looking like a Rory or Ricky clone out on the golf course. If you like the offerings of Nike and Puma, if it fits your style and budget, go ahead and buy it and wear it. If someone wants to judge you and your game by your clothes, so be it. You won't be able to control that so it is a bit like trying to get somewhere in a rocking chair. You will be moving but you are not getting anywhere.

Will everyone judge you? No. Some people won't care. Honestly, if we were paired together, I know I personally wouldn't care. As long as your attire fits the clubs/courses dress requirements, than that's all that really matters to play on a particular course.

As far as building a wardrobe... Personally, I am particular with my entire wardrobe. Fit of clothes is a huge deal for me. I like things a little more tailored so I have chosen brands that have that offering (and I found a good tailor). As far as my golf wardrobe, I like a style that I can wear on and off the course that doesn't blatantly scream that I just played golf. I lived a majority of my life in Southern California and I used to surf. At the same time, I am a proud husband and father so I try to dress appropriately for this stage of my life. My clothing choices reflect my personality and MY own personal style. My father taught me that a person will be judged by their first impression so he instilled in me a bit of pride to mind my appearance. I honestly believe in the saying, "Look good, feel good, play good." That saying for me applies off the course as well. Overall, that is small summation of what I think of when I build anything in my wardrobe. It is, and should be, a genuine reflection of me. I wear the clothes and they don't wear me. Therefore, my advice to you is find your own style and wear it proudly.

Sorry for the long response. Hopefully some of that helps you figure something out.

Good luck and hit them straight.

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

Cowboys wear denim. I'd argue they are athletic.

And I didn't say I wear jeans because they are easier (like velcro shoes). I said I wear jeans because they are comfortable.

And, as I said, I have no care who I may offend or impress by what I wear.

Cowboys wear denim. I'd argue they are athletic.

And I didn't say I wear jeans because they are easier (like velcro shoes). I said I wear jeans because they are comfortable.

And, as I said, I have no care who I may offend or impress by what I wear.

Yea but I don't peg it in my boots...

I do think I'm over the caring if people where jeans though, personally I don't like to just don't find them as functional but if you want to do you... assuming the course is alright with it.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I take the same approach to my clothing on the golf course as I do with the clubs in my bag and in fact the clothing I wear off the course; I pick the pieces that fit me best.

It happens to be shoes from FJ, trousers from Under Armour, polo shirts from either Nike or FJ, gloves from TaylorMade. Hat happens to be a black Titleist because it was on sale this one time when I got to the course and had left home without a hat. Best piece of golf-related clothing I've bought is the Under Armour Gore-Tex jacket though - I wear it both on and off the course.

TaylorMade SIM Max - 6M3 X

Titleist 906F4 - Whiteboard 83 X

TaylorMade TP UDI 2 - Modus 120 X

Mizuno MP-37 3-9 - S300

TaylorMade MG raw 50-12, 58-08, 60-07 - S300 (50), X7 (58, 60)

Scotty Cameron Newport AoP PP

I don't see the issue with cargo shorts either, at least the ones that aren't huge and baggy. I have several that the cargo pocket is fairly non noticeable.

They gladly took my money and let me play at Pebble Beach while wearing them.

I'm surprised you would be allowed on a course like Pebble Beach with cargos. I'm not fussed about them either way but personally I would never wear them on the course.

I myself do not connect wearing jeans with the assumption that one is a redneck. Yes Cowboys wear Jeans and they are Athletic but they ride horses so different angle. I have always been taught from when I started golf that you do not wear Jeans to the golf course. Even though its accepted by more places, does not mean you should. I connect to the guy who wears Basketball shorts every day even though he is not even playing basketball. Yes basketball shorts are comfortable. But does that mean he should. Many of the courses I play at around my area do not allow it. And no these are not private country clubs. Only time I really see Jeans on a course is at my local muni. Which for some reason also allows for slow play. Hmmmmm..... To each their own. Wear what you want.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw