2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

George Gankas

So is speeding up the arms the proactive way of "chest catching up" - I see chest catching up as description, and not saying he suggests chest catching up as a feel.

Definitely not a feel he teaches. He wants the arms to pretty much do nothing as far as feel until after impact where he calls it a late throw. His personal feel and one I like is to feel like the right shoulder and hip get to the ball before the club head. Total opposite really.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty impressive scorecard of one of GG's boys.

https://www.instagra...-by=ggswingtips

jesus and kid is a high school freshman? lol nuts

Kid threw up another 66 today ...

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

I was there watching George work with Clay (the kid who put up that score). He sets scenarios on the driving range, which is marked out in degrees. He can tell starting angle by what marker the ball starts at.

Well, that and Trackman.

These kids all understand face to path, and also how to adjust yardage with one club. That kid can take an 8 iron and hit draws (not crossing pins) at about 5 different yardages on command.

The cool thing about all of those kids is the fact that they're always hanging out at the range. Every one is a range rat. They're all 100% aware of what they're working on (plane,rotation, start line, etc), and they compete against one another. That's why they all go out and dominate. Very impressive for a bunch of teens.

I was there watching George work with Clay (the kid who put up that score). He sets scenarios on the driving range, which is marked out in degrees. He can tell starting angle by what marker the ball starts at.

Well, that and Trackman.

These kids all understand face to path, and also how to adjust yardage with one club. That kid can take an 8 iron and hit draws (not crossing pins) at about 5 different yardages on command.

The cool thing about all of those kids is the fact that they're always hanging out at the range. Every one is a range rat. They're all 100% aware of what they're working on (plane,rotation, start line, etc), and they compete against one another. That's why they all go out and dominate. Very impressive for a bunch of teens.

Welcome to the new era

Could you over do the basket drill GG has a lot of players do? I've been doing about 50-100 of these a day lately and seen some good results. Just wondering if anyone thinks it could be over done. Mixing it with the zipper away drill as well

I haven't done as many but planning to do more. I do not think that you can overdo it. When I play I still sometimes let the right knee go to the target too early instead of letting it go to the target line first. Punishment follows immediately: block/block slice to the right.

So is speeding up the arms the proactive way of "chest catching up" - I see chest catching up as description, and not saying he suggests chest catching up as a feel.

Definitely not a feel he teaches. He wants the arms to pretty much do nothing as far as feel until after impact where he calls it a late throw. His personal feel and one I like is to feel like the right shoulder and hip get to the ball before the club head. Total opposite really.

Have you changed recently or has shoulder/hip to the ball something you have done for a while?

Could you over do the basket drill GG has a lot of players do? I've been doing about 50-100 of these a day lately and seen some good results. Just wondering if anyone thinks it could be over done. Mixing it with the zipper away drill as well

Absolutely. Anything can be over done.

That's what I figured thanks. Been working great so far on tightening up tush line

That's what I figured thanks. Been working great so far on tightening up tush line

I haven't looked into it too much but the move seems like it could help hips to move back (toward tush line) but would be cautious of spinning out.

I haven't done as many but planning to do more. I do not think that you can overdo it. When I play I still sometimes let the right knee go to the target too early instead of letting it go to the target line first. Punishment follows immediately: block/block slice to the right.

Yeah it's one of those things that I'm trying to do a lot of to let it flow into my natural swing because it's a tough thing to try to think about when swinging on the course.

I haven't looked into it too much but the move seems like it could help hips to move back (toward tush line) but would be cautious of spinning out.

Yeah I can keep my tush line when I actually do the drill but could see spinning out being a potential issue. Less likely in a natural swing but while doing the drill I'll get it sometimes. It's really tightened up my ball flight though. I'd lose tush line as a way to come from the inside and when over done I get a hook. As long as I see improvements from it I'll keep doing it but like everything I'll watch out for over doing it

I have found maintaining the tush line has a great deal to do with setup. I can now stay on it both in the backswing and downswing where before I moved slightly off on the way back and slightly more on the way down. Now that I have the setutp down I can actually increase it if I want to.

I don't think you can over do the basket drill myself as all it is is a drill to teach you how the left knee goes down and around and the right knee stays externally rotated. You can't do either of those too much. I try like heck to max mine out.

Spinning out would just mean you never extended. You extend at p6 with George's pivot.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

I have found maintaining the tush line has a great deal to do with setup. I can now stay on it both in the backswing and downswing where before I moved slightly off on the way back and slightly more on the way down. Now that I have the setutp down I can actually increase it if I want to.

I don't think you can over do the basket drill myself as all it is is a drill to teach you how the left knee goes down and around and the right knee stays externally rotated. You can't do either of those too much. I try like heck to max mine out.

Spinning out would just mean you never extended. You extend at p6 with George's pivot.

That makes perfect sense. I just had a lesson with Monte and we worked on the tush line and setup so makes sense how they go hand in hand.

As someone who struggles with lower body action, I thought I might experiment with some GG feels. After having some quite good initial success with the feel of keeping my lead hip pointing down through the rotation, I started playing around with the downswing squat feel as demonstrated on the instragram vids and started spinning out on my right side like mad with the worst looking and feeling passes I have ever put on the ball. I think for my pattern, I may tend to get a little further right on the backswing and need that lateral motion left, so this may not work for everyone.

I probably benefited from the "lead hip pointing down" feel because I do tend to overdo a side bend and getting underneath and this tames the hip tilt a bit. In one of his vids, he tells a kid to get more external rotation of the right leg to stop from getting underneath, but for me, this is a death move.

hstead, I'd be interested in knowing what setup change you made to avoid loss of tush line. That would nice to put on autopilot, as I am sick of training myself out of bad hip action.

As someone who struggles with lower body action, I thought I might experiment with some GG feels. After having some quite good initial success with the feel of keeping my lead hip pointing down through the rotation, I started playing around with the downswing squat feel as demonstrated on the instragram vids and started spinning out on my right side like mad with the worst looking and feeling passes I have ever put on the ball. I think for my pattern, I may tend to get a little further right on the backswing and need that lateral motion left, so this may not work for everyone.

I probably benefited from the "lead hip pointing down" feel because I do tend to overdo a side bend and getting underneath and this tames the hip tilt a bit. In one of his vids, he tells a kid to get more external rotation of the right leg to stop from getting underneath, but for me, this is a death move.

hstead, I'd be interested in knowing what setup change you made to avoid loss of tush line. That would nice to put on autopilot, as I am sick of training myself out of bad hip action.

I think what he is trying to accomplish is getting people to open up there hips in transition. Otherwise get both hips is dual external rotation instead of just

getting the left leg in external and right leg internal i.e. Rory mcilroy, Adam scott.

When i try to do the drill i also spin out on my right leg and hit alot of wipes and bladed shots, However placing a range basket between my thighs and allowing

it to drop in transition is a better way of getting the correct feel.

He is looking for a Sam snead squat look because it helps with rotation witch helps with gaining club head speed and also gives your arms more room to work in front of you.

Yes, I think I get the intent, but for me, I'm not drinking the full glass of GG kool-aid right away, because I have a pattern that I don't believe meshes with it all, and I'm not about to reconstruct my backswing pattern to chase it. If I get some time, I'd like to throw up a video of some decent progress with the lead hip down thought but for me, the squat move is not happening. I get more room for my arms by focusing on getting a deep hip turn, not getting my right elbow behind me and firing my arms and hands fast.

Yes, I think I get the intent, but for me, I'm not drinking the full glass of GG kool-aid right away, because I have a pattern that I don't believe meshes with it all, and I'm not about to reconstruct my backswing pattern to chase it. If I get some time, I'd like to throw up a video of some decent progress with the lead hip down thought but for me, the squat move is not happening. I get more room for my arms by focusing on getting a deep hip turn, not getting my right elbow behind me and firing my arms and hands fast.

The backswing that meshes well with his swing model is very steep. Reason being is because the club naturally will lay off in transistion much like a baseball swing.

Camilo is a exaggerated example of the backswing model he "prefers" but does not necessarily enforce as he likes to work with what the student is comfortable with doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sLQOCzf5Jw

I think what he is trying to accomplish is getting people to open up there hips in transition. Otherwise get both hips is dual external rotation instead of just

getting the left leg in external and right leg internal i.e. Rory mcilroy, Adam scott.

When i try to do the drill i also spin out on my right leg and hit alot of wipes and bladed shots, However placing a range basket between my thighs and allowing

it to drop in transition is a better way of getting the correct feel.

He is looking for a Sam snead squat look because it helps with rotation witch helps with gaining club head speed and also gives your arms more room to work in front of you.

Not sure if I'm reading this right but he wants dual ER of the hips in transition. Right hip goes IR only from p6. The basket drill is all about this.

The backswing that meshes well with his swing model is very steep. Reason being is because the club naturally will lay off in transistion much like a baseball swing.

Camilo is a exaggerated example of the backswing model he "prefers" but does not necessarily enforce as he likes to work with what the student is comfortable with doing.

https://www.youtube....h?v=6sLQOCzf5Jw

Yep. I have a naturally flat backswing, always have been. Probably why it does not match. I see him teaching a conscious laying off of the club after a steep backswing. If I do that, I will hit the ground two feet behind the ball. If I try to swing as steep as Camillo, it would feel so ridiculous, it would take a lot of reps to get comfortable.

This is the freshman that put up the crazy good tourney scores: https://www.instagra...-by=ggswingtips

Would you say his backswing is steep? I don't see that - I see on plane.

Like i said before he does not enforce a certain backswing motion, The steep to shallow swing model he proposes is to help people get the proper feeling of letting the

club shallow and also make them understand rotation better.

I have always loved the concept of super steep to shallow swing and it works for me really well when iam not stalling my core... When i do stall my core its Sh**k city.

This kid absolutely hammers the ball with one of the steepest backswing motions i have ever seen, But with rotation and a bit of conscious shallowing move he shallows the club beautifully.

Iam going to correct myself and say he does not whole heartedly teach that rotation will %100 shallow the club as someone above me has posted he does teach a shallowing move with the arms. however

i believe he likes core rotation to be the dominant factor in doing so.

This kid absolutely hammers the ball with one of the steepest backswing motions i have ever seen, But with rotation and a bit of conscious shallowing move he shallows the club beautifully.

Iam going to correct myself and say he does not whole heartedly teach that rotation will %100 shallow the club as someone above me has posted he does teach a shallowing move with the arms. however

Rotation doesn't shallow the shaft. It seems like he wants the club shallowing first (which is the reason for steep BS) so that you can rotate hard after. The rotation occurs after the club has shallowed the club doesnt shallow because of rotation.

Honestly, I can take my 6-year old kid to the range, post the one great swing he took when he nailed perfect timing and make him look like the next Tiger Woods. Some of his guys are surely impressive from the scores that are posted and the junior records, but this video give me the impression that there is an even money chance this kid sprayed the previous 25 balls off the range.

That makes perfect sense. I just had a lesson with Monte and we worked on the tush line and setup so makes sense how they go hand in hand.

Was Monte teaching in line with the Zipper Away move and do you think it is different from the GG pivot? What changes did Monte make to your set up?

Rotation doesn't shallow the shaft. It seems like he wants the club shallowing first (which is the reason for steep BS) so that you can rotate hard after. The rotation occurs after the club has shallowed the club doesnt shallow because of rotation.

On the member site he speaks of natural shallowing and manipulated shallowing. The natural shallowing according to GG happens when the hands in the back swing position push away to the right/away from the target (or at least keeping them passive) whilst at the same time the left knee rotates externally and the right knee extends forward (squat). The move with the knees and pelvis creates an passive/automatic clock wise rotation of the forearms whilst at the same time getting the arms in front of the body.

The manipulated shallowing is simply a steep back swing and then manually rotate the arms clock wise to shallow them. He believes that the manipulated shallowing is inferior because it depends too much on timing.

Honestly, I can take my 6-year old kid to the range, post the one great swing he took when he nailed perfect timing and make him look like the next Tiger Woods. Some of his guys are surely impressive from the scores that are posted and the junior records, but this video give me the impression that there is an even money chance this kid sprayed the previous 25 balls off the range.

That kid is Matthew Wolff, he is a first team AJGA All-American. If you're not familiar with the AJGA it is the PGA Tour of junior golf. I seriously doubt he sprays it all over the range. He was trying to hit driver as high as he could in that video if you read the text accompanying it...so it was probably not exactly his tournament swing.