George Gankas

Jeep - George specifically told me he dislikes KMs drive hold. George doesn't want you holding anything in the release. He had to fix my release multiple times because I kept holding it. He also told me about fixing victors pivot and release. He likes some of the same things KM does, but his pivot is different and he used some strong words regarding the drive hold.

I know you have texted him, but this was face to face.

who said I texted him? We worked on steeper shoulders and left knee a little. He never had me hanging back like some of the video clips Ive seen. Hes good when working directly with

I'm just trying to get things straight cuz I really dunno what is going on or who to believe. So you've worked with GG and he told you he likes KM stuff? But Hstead also has worked with him and said that GG told him he didn't like the KM stuff, particularly the pivot and release. Just trying to get things straight.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeep - George specifically told me he dislikes KMs drive hold. George doesn't want you holding anything in the release. He had to fix my release multiple times because I kept holding it. He also told me about fixing victors pivot and release. He likes some of the same things KM does, but his pivot is different and he used some strong words regarding the drive hold.

who said I texted him? We worked on steeper shoulders and left knee a little. He never had me hanging back like some of the video clips Ive seen. Hes good when working directly with

I'm just trying to get things straight cuz I really dunno what is going on or who to believe. So you've worked with GG and he told you he likes KM stuff? But Hstead also has worked with him and said that GG told him he didn't like the KM stuff, particularly the pivot and release. Just trying to get things straight.

Maybe GG changed his mind between working with Redjeep and Hstead?

Maybe GG changed his mind between working with Redjeep and Hstead?

I thought they both said GG doesn't like KM's drive hold release. The squat and pivot/extension look awfully similar to me.

You shouldn't have to think about turning the chest I don't think because it has no choice since your hips are wide open the chest is going to follow. The "kick up" is basically extending the legs and body toward the target.

He has one Instagram where the guy is pretending to bowl, that is the move.

Thanks Heath. The pieces of the puzzle are starting to make sense.

Going back to Westlake tomorrow! So pumped.

The "kick up" and chest turning thing depends on where you are in your swing.

If he sees that you don't get nearly enough shoulder tilt going through the ball (steep), he works that out first. He had me doing a drill I would not recommend to anyone. It definitely got me dumped under the plane with steep shoulders.

Then the rotation stuff kicks in. You'll see the stick drill or a simple drill where you try to hold the right arm bent from a p6 start through the ball. That drill is to infuse rotation. Ideally, he wants it to blend into a throw at the end. After the ER of the left leg gets the knee around fully, the student is supposed to kick up through impact and let it all go.

He is definitely cognizant of whether you have wrist/body conditions to let that happen. That's where individualized drills come into play.

I had never taken a lesson where the motions I was asked to perform were so foreign. I have video of myself unable to make contact at all. The motion looks awesome, but I would struggle to hit anything for about five minutes. Then it would click. He definitely can create change in a motion, and fast, but he is so quick to get you out of that exaggeration to move you into the next step.

Some of the cooler things I have seen with him:

1.) the guy is super booked with top talent, yet I saw him spend 20 minutes just trying to get a 10 year old to "slap five" with him using a pivot. The kid just kept on extending his arm. The guy has so much patience. The kid got it, and a light clicked on. He could then rotate through a shot.

2.) with the exaggeration stuff: he told me, "It's especially true with the kids, but also with adults. They'll do the crazy exaggeration drill I teach them for a while, say two weeks, and then they'll say screw it and go back to trying to hit a conventional shot. But that time spent bleeds in a ton, and what I see on video changes for the better. I get what I need out of them for the next lesson."

3.) he has ZERO time for someone that does not practice, and he means all phases of the game. His demands for short game work are awesome. I've enjoyed playing his "up and down" game at the local short game spot. His juniors whip people because they have to work hard at short game, have great pivots, and know how to make adjustments based on ball flight.

yes. We didn't go over ever little detail, he just mentioned him, why would he badmouth him? I doubt he did to Health. He has friends who have studied under Kelvin as well. There might be differences in opinion as well but there are similarities for sure

yes. We didn't go over ever little detail, he just mentioned him, why would he badmouth him? I doubt he did to Health. He has friends who have studied under Kelvin as well. There might be differences in opinion as well but there are similarities for sure

So you are calling me a liar? Were you there? He had some very specific things to say about KM's drive hold release and some strong words about how much he dislikes it. He also said his pivot is different than what KM teaches and he had to fix Victor's pivot. That is not exactly "bad mouthing". That is comparing himself to what KM does which is different.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

So you are calling me a liar? Were you there? He had some very specific things to say about KM's drive hold release and some strong words about how much he dislikes it. He also said his pivot is different than what KM teaches and he had to fix Victor's pivot. That is not exactly "bad mouthing". That is comparing himself to what KM does which is different.

thats cool, so there are some differences, there are also alot of similarities. He has close teacher friends who are close with Kelvin. so what was different in the pivots? btw, I was working with Dana most last year, not George.

I've been putting things in between peoples legs for years. :-)

Kidding aside, the keeping right knee in external rotation really is a great move. Keeps the right hip from popping out too early, right heel from come up early, creates room and time for arms to connect properly, etc.

People have been over taught fire the lower body for so many years, they weren't taught properly. Just fire it somehow. Slides, spin outs, poor sequences, etc.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I am still so confused. So Hstead has apparently recently seen GG and GG appears to disagree fundamentally about the pivot and release from KM in no uncertain terms.

RJ, when you saw him, did he say the opposite? Or when you went to Westlake did GG just say that he's worked with some similar people to KM and that he agrees with some things (but not the pivot or release?). This is a really interesting thread but I honestly just feel like all these sort of conflicting things are being said and think it would be better to get it cleared up because tbh I have no idea who is right or wrong about any of this and I think these are significant differences.

KM definitely likes a drive hold and it sounds like from certain people that GG wants you to let it go but with proper rotation so along with a different pivot those are pretty different patterns. Has anyone else besides Hstead and RJ seen GG personally and discussed this? Jurr, did he address this at all when you saw him?

I am still so confused. So Hstead has apparently recently seen GG and GG appears to disagree fundamentally about the pivot and release from KM in no uncertain terms.

RJ, when you saw him, did he say the opposite? Or when you went to Westlake did GG just say that he's worked with some similar people to KM and that he agrees with some things (but not the pivot or release?). This is a really interesting thread but I honestly just feel like all these sort of conflicting things are being said and think it would be better to get it cleared up because tbh I have no idea who is right or wrong about any of this and I think these are significant differences.

KM definitely likes a drive hold and it sounds like from certain people that GG wants you to let it go but with proper rotation so along with a different pivot those are pretty different patterns. Has anyone else besides Hstead and RJ seen GG personally and discussed this? Jurr, did he address this at all when you saw him?

dont look into it that deep, there are similarities and differences according to Heathm which doesnt surprise me. I dont have that much experience with George and we certainly didnt discuss all of his differences from Kelvin. He even recommended one of his close teacher colleages who might be closer to me and told me that he studied under Kelvin and was good

Nerd - Who said what he is teaching is new? You make it sound like GG just started teaching and is all hype marketing and he has it wrong. Just because you just heard of him doesn't make him new, that is quite naive. George has been teaching for 17 years and has taught his lower body/pivot stuff for 12 of it. You make it seem like he swiped KMs stuff? KMs student, Victor Rodriguez goes to George now and GG had to change his pivot and he dislikes the drive hold release big time.

Where did I say that GG is wrong?

And of course it is a media hype to promote himself.

Never said that he swiped KM's stuff.

Don't put words in my mouth, please.

I have said that GG's stuff isn't new.

The shaft drop is also promoted by Bradley Hughes and Lag Erickson.

Here is a big difference between km and gg

http://kelvinmiyahira.com/articles/21-2010-articles/1-micro-moves-of-a-correct-backswing

One of the keys to retaining the right amount of lordosis throughout the swing is having the correct sacrum or tailbone movement. Let’s take a look at the great, simple swing of Steve Stricker. The red line represents the position of the tailbone just before transition starts in the first picture.

Then, the sacrum or tailbone moves about an inch toward the target during transition (blue line). This is the sign of a spine driven swing. Then it rotates and begins to move away from the target during the downswing (yellow line).

This is the same movement pattern as a great baseball hitter uses. The baseball hitter typically strides, then rotates. So it makes logical sense that golfers could use the same moves.

Yet, most golfers keep shifting their tailbone forward toward the target even after they’ve shifted left and this causes hip stalls.

Common Errors

Reverse Sacrum Movement

Here’s another PGA tour player (might be Nicholas Thompson) using the reverse order of the sacrum move. Notice the sacrum moves away from the target in the early downswing followed by a thrust forward toward the target in the last few frames before impact. As he thrusts forward, he loses lordosis, unlocks the gears and therefore loses the ability to rotate.

@bph:

Yeah, KM's name came up for a second. They have some differences on pivot, the importance of grip strength, etc.

One thing about George, though, is how he does stay out of actively ripping on instructors, which is refreshing. He's too busy to care!

@golfnerd: yeah, you absolutely have to do some setup things to get that motion correct. That pelvis needs to feel under you at address, and the setup does not feel athletic at all. I felt like I was actively mimicking a 75 year old lady at address when I got into that position. But that setup allows for you to get lower/maintain tush line going down.

Hstead and jurr80, thanks for all the info in this thread! The thread wants to go off the tracks in the worst way, but to you guys

... as long as that doesn't offend anybody. (All in good fun, GolfNerd)

Serious questions, now: The "late throw" has baffled me. I realize it's a feeling of extending the arms at P6, but I find myself really holding off if I'm not releasing from the top. What drills did George have you do to work on this?

Where is the pressure in the left (lead) foot when opening the knee? I find that I tend to pressure my heel, and it pulls my path waaay left (w/steep AoA, so it works out for the shorties, lol). Pressure on the outside, ball of my foot corrects the path, but feels unstable, like I can't get my weight left soon enough.

This thread is teetering on the brink of being closed or sent to The Cooler.

Please feel free to discuss actual swing theories and instruction techniques, but do not veer off into personal inquiries about one another. It just leads to arguments and closing the threads.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour Rescue, GD AD-IZ 85S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

Crab - the two drills he had me do to get the feel of the late throw is -

1 - the no throw drill, where you literally just turn and hit the ball with your turn and do not let the arms come off the chest at all. You can't hit the ball worth a crap with that move, barely 50 yards probably.

2 - just hit balls focusing on the right shoulder and right hip reaching the ball before the clubhead does. He said that is one of his favorite feels he uses himeself as well. This feeling is one I use on the course too.

As for pressure in the lead foot, this is what I feel and it may be different for others.

When I practice, at the beginning I do the exaggerated move into the right leg, so more weight right. I just do this to make sure I am exaggerating the move and making sure I am getting my knees apart. After a few of those, I then concentrate on getting my weight 50-50 on each foot in transition, or the pressure being directly between my feet. The weight will naturally end up on the outside of the left foot on the toes as your momentum carries you around. Hope this makes sense.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Hstead and jurr80, thanks for all the info in this thread! The thread wants to go off the tracks in the worst way, but to you guys

Serious questions, now: The "late throw" has baffled me. I realize it's a feeling of extending the arms at P6, but I find myself really holding off if I'm not releasing from the top. What drills did George have you do to work on this?

Where is the pressure in the left (lead) foot when opening the knee? I find that I tend to pressure my heel, and it pulls my path waaay left (w/steep AoA, so it works out for the shorties, lol). Pressure on the outside, ball of my foot corrects the path, but feels unstable, like I can't get my weight left soon enough.

I understand that the "late throw" as a feeling is actually after impact. What I have seen from the videos on his member site is that from P6 to impact you do not do anything with your arms but just turn with the hips and shoulders to impact and only then you throw or release your wrist angles and right elbow.

Crab - the two drills he had me do to get the feel of the late throw is -

1 - the no throw drill, where you literally just turn and hit the ball with your turn and do not let the arms come off the chest at all. You can't hit the ball worth a crap with that move, barely 50 yards probably.

2 - just hit balls focusing on the right shoulder and right hip reaching the ball before the clubhead does. He said that is one of his favorite feels he uses himeself as well. This feeling is one I use on the course too.

As for pressure in the lead foot, this is what I feel and it may be different for others.

When I practice, at the beginning I do the exaggerated move into the right leg, so more weight right. I just do this to make sure I am exaggerating the move and making sure I am getting my knees apart. After a few of those, I then concentrate on getting my weight 50-50 on each foot in transition, or the pressure being directly between my feet. The weight will naturally end up on the outside of the left foot on the toes as your momentum carries you around. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks, Hstead. Appreciate the info. How difficult was it (is it?) to get his move down to where you can take it on the course?

I've been dabbling with it based on info from his member site (+ IG), but I find myself mixing parts, especially getting narrow on the downswing.

I understand that the "late throw" as a feeling is actually after impact. What I have seen from the videos on his member site is that from P6 to impact you do not do anything with your arms but just turn with the hips and shoulders to impact and only then you throw or release your wrist angles and right elbow.

Thanks, GB. But, it doesn't seem like it would do much good to actually release after impact. See Hstead's reply above.