Love or hate apex pro 16 irons?

Kuuuch

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Combo set- I like them quite a bit so far. Too bad I just got a deal on some miuras, so they may not last long.

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

They are really a solid clubs, surprisingly forgiving, beautiful to look at, depending on fitting the weight distribution is really nice, very accurate as well, I hit them at Golfsmith as well and they performed really well for me...my issue, with equipment, is that my current gamers are just as good, I was fitted throughout the entire bag and even at the "Gear Trials" my driver ended up being the best fit for me, the fitter suggested minor adjustments to my driver (which are done) and the numbers are almost if not better than the numbers I got at the trials with my top 3 choices...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

I just went to a club fitter because I really wanted to try the PXG 0311T's. He was telling me that my current clubs, AP2 712, were spinning too much since they have a lot of weight on the bottom which causes me to lose 14 yards on my miss. Sometimes when I think I flushed it and it comes up a half of a club short, he would say look at the spin and it was high. So of course I need new irons now. So he recommended Srixon, Apex Pro, PXG and TM something, all were bent to the same loft, lie, with the same shaft KBS C-taper and swingweight D4. When I tried them all, I didn't like the feeling of the Srixons or the TM's. The Callaways felt great, way better than anything else that I have ever hit, including or my current gamers, they gave me a sick smash factor with optimal spin and had really tight dispersion. I then tried the PXG's, the Ferrari of golf clubs, let me tell you, if I wasn't for trackman, I would have bought them right there, no question. The feeling is so soft and so solid, it's ridiculous. They had a tiny bit more ball speed over the Callys,1-2 mph, launched the same and spun maybe a tiny bit less. But surprisingly the smash factor and dispersion were worse than the Callys. So I left and was dreaming about the PXGs for the next couple of days. I was telling myself that maybe I just put a few better swings on the Callys than the PXGs and that I needed to test them again. So I went back to the fitter 2 more times to try and let the PXGs beat the Callys but they just couldn't do it. Let me tell you, I've never been so disappointed to save $1,400 on a set of irons, unbelievable, Callys - $1050 PXG- $2450. Well, I'll let you know in a few weeks how it's going since I just received them yesterday.

TM SIM 10.5° OBAN Devotion 06  Flex 05
TM M2 16.5° Fujikura Pro73
Cally Rogue 19° Synergy
PXG  0311P Gen3  4i - GW Modus 120
Vokey SM8  54° 60° Modus 120
Ping CRAZ-E

I liked the Apex Pro I hit at a Demo Day. But then again, they had this "losing the black insert"-problem with their 2014 model and I didn't like the design with plastic at the back.

I found a supposedly used set of MP-59 relatively cheap on ebay and decided to reshaft them. They arrived today and they look like never played, just demoed. Condition 9.5/10. I just like the clean look without any inserts, flashy logo etc.

They are really a solid clubs, surprisingly forgiving, beautiful to look at, depending on fitting the weight distribution is really nice, very accurate as well, I hit them at Golfsmith as well and they performed really well for me...my issue, with equipment, is that my current gamers are just as good, I was fitted throughout the entire bag and even at the "Gear Trials" my driver ended up being the best fit for me, the fitter suggested minor adjustments to my driver (which are done) and the numbers are almost if not better than the numbers I got at the trials with my top 3 choices...

That's because your current irons kick a**! If I were going that route I would give the pro 16s a whirl simply vase on looks and video reviews. Thankfully my irons kick a** too.

• 2 weeks later...

I am about to pull the trigger on some Apex Pro 16s, just making final decision on shaft. They are beautiful at address, forgiving and have great feel. Enough said.

Driver (10):  Titleist TSR3 (Tour AD DI 6s)
3 Wood (16.5):  Titleist TSR2 (Tour AD DI 7s)
Hybrid (19):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Hybrid (22):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Irons (5-G):  Titleist T100S (TT Elevate Tour)
Wedges:  54/58:  Vokey SM9 (PX LZ 6.0 -- Onyx)
Putter:  Toulon Las Vegas 2022

Have had the Apex Pros's for about a month now. First set of Callaway irons I've ever owned. Went to get fitted and test different irons. Was playing Titleist CBs 712. The Apex Pros were hands down the best iron for me. Longer than my old irons and just a sweet feel off the club. Especially love the long irons as I still play a 3 iron. I went with Project X 6.0. Could not be more pleased with my decision.

Had a horrible experience with Callaway, when I"purchased" my apex pro. The rep fit me incorrectly, then they sent the clubs late, with the wrong grips and overcharged me to top it off. When I called customer service the kid handling the issue could give a damn about what had happened. Basically told me to go to the shop where I got them and complain to them. I used Callaway for 20 years. Never again. Now I can't even give these things away. No one wants them. They are decent irons but after the way this went down its not worth it.

Had a horrible experience with Callaway, when I"purchased" my apex pro. The rep fit me incorrectly, then they sent the clubs late, with the wrong grips and overcharged me to top it off. When I called customer service the kid handling the issue could give a damn about what had happened. Basically told me to go to the shop where I got them and complain to them. I used Callaway for 20 years. Never again. Now I can't even give these things away. No one wants them. They are decent irons but after the way this went down its not worth it.

I'll give you my address and pay for shipping.

I'll give you my address and pay for shipping.

Hahaha. Nice.

I am about to pull the trigger on some Apex Pro 16s, just making final decision on shaft. They are beautiful at address, forgiving and have great feel. Enough said.

I think the two that got me the most to switch was look at address and FEEL. Way better feeling then the AP2's (714's/716's). Might be getting a few yards more or less with them but I think that is the difference in shaft.

Rather surprised by this. Callaway has been right up there, almost as good as Ping on customer service. I will say I gamed Titleist for that last few years (3+) and was NOT happy with there CS at all.

Rather surprised by this. Callaway has been right up there, almost as good as Ping on customer service. I will say I gamed Titleist for that last few years (3+) and was NOT happy with there CS at all.

Personally, I've been through the same stuff. Callaway is, IMO, so big that you can have both good success stories and bad experiences. It seems to becoming average - but not on a curve. Callaway either goes the extra mile, or they crap the bed. As always, YMMV.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

for those of you who did the Apex CF16/Pro combo where did you split the set and how did you account for the lofts

I played a combo set of 14s last year and am swapping out the pros for the 16s this year while keeping my regular 14 apex from last year. I was really disappointed with the finish on the 14s and that's one of the main reasons I'm upgrading. I broke up the set after the 5 iron and went pros the rest of the way but playing the same shaft (KBS Tour V) in all of em regardless.

As far as for you, I would split the set at whatever iron that you may start to question forgiveness or your confidence in a particular iron. As far as lofts, since they're forged and able to be moved, you may just have to get em and experiment and play around with the lofts, which is what I did (didn't have to do much). I would also definitely consider ordering them all with the same shaft especially if you plan on moving lofts around.

Awesome irons though, don't think you'll be disappointed in the slightest

Titleist TSR2 10* - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TSi2 16.5* - Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75X
Callaway BB Alpha 815 20*, set to 19* - Fujikura 865 X

Ping i230 4-PW, UW - Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S, 60.10J
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas 34"

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow

After a few demo's of the 16's, I preferred the prior model, which I absolutely should not have sold. Once my swing goes bad about halfway through this season ( I seem to have an inevitable slump) I'll probably buy another set. The 16's perform just as well, but I didn't find anything that would've made me switch about them.

I was fitted for them, bought them, played a few rounds with them, and just never really liked them. They felt soft on impact, but I just never liked the over all feel when I was out on the course. Just swapped them for a set of Cobra King pro but instead of the full combo set I got 4-9 in the cavity back, and the PW in muscle back. I had to custom order the set, but just after hitting the two side by side I just prefer the Cobras.

• 3 months later...

I just went to a club fitter because I really wanted to try the PXG 0311T's. He was telling me that my current clubs, AP2 712, were spinning too much since they have a lot of weight on the bottom which causes me to lose 14 yards on my miss. Sometimes when I think I flushed it and it comes up a half of a club short, he would say look at the spin and it was high. So of course I need new irons now. So he recommended Srixon, Apex Pro, PXG and TM something, all were bent to the same loft, lie, with the same shaft KBS C-taper and swingweight D4. When I tried them all, I didn't like the feeling of the Srixons or the TM's. The Callaways felt great, way better than anything else that I have ever hit, including or my current gamers, they gave me a sick smash factor with optimal spin and had really tight dispersion. I then tried the PXG's, the Ferrari of golf clubs, let me tell you, if I wasn't for trackman, I would have bought them right there, no question. The feeling is so soft and so solid, it's ridiculous. They had a tiny bit more ball speed over the Callys,1-2 mph, launched the same and spun maybe a tiny bit less. But surprisingly the smash factor and dispersion were worse than the Callys. So I left and was dreaming about the PXGs for the next couple of days. I was telling myself that maybe I just put a few better swings on the Callys than the PXGs and that I needed to test them again. So I went back to the fitter 2 more times to try and let the PXGs beat the Callys but they just couldn't do it. Let me tell you, I've never been so disappointed to save $1,400 on a set of irons, unbelievable, Callys - $1050 PXG- $2450. Well, I'll let you know in a few weeks how it's going since I just received them yesterday.

How do you like them so far since it's been a few months?

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

I have been playing the Apex Pro16 with KBS Tour, 1 up, 1/2" long. This is my first set of Blades and custom fitting. Call me an equipment snob but my game has improved drastically (mid 90's to mid 80's within weeks) from these irons. weather it be confidence or correct fitting but I couldn't be happier with these! I also demoed AP2 714,716,XR,XR PRO, and CF-16. I initially wanted to get the CF-16s but for the life of me could not hit as well as the Pros (don't ask me why). 6I for me starts to get a little tricky on consistency but Is always playable.

Take the looks and feel of the 2013 X-Forged and combine that with the slightly larger size and better forgiveness of the original Apex Pros and you have the 2016 Apex Pros.

They look good, feel good, sound good, offer a good bit of forgiveness, and are easy to maneuver.

The 16 Apex Pros are way better than the 714 AP2s for me (spun way too much).

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Interested if anyone has played the 16's with the Nippon modus3 120's? I'm not a high spin player, so need a bit of a softer tip.

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

I am intrigued by these irons, would love to score a 5-9 in the Pro Forged with LZ 6.5's to go with the 46-50-54-58 black MD3 set on the way.

Anyplace to get em for less than $150 a club, like Discount Dan's? I could do like I did with the MP5's ,buy 1-2 at a time.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I have the original apex pros, have hit all versions of the apex and apex pros. Of the 4, I like the apex pro original the best I think because of the shaft (Tour V), followed by the new regular apex, the old regular apex, and lastly the 16 apex pro, was not as forgiving for my miss and liked the satin look of the old one better.

Cally Epic SZ, Cally 815 alpha FW, Cally alpha 815 3 and 4 hybrid, Apex Pro 5-Aw, callaway md2 54, callaway md2 58, Xenon Custom Copper Bullseye