2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Thrift Store Jackpot

"Didn't buy it but I saw this nice vintage bag today."

That ok bud - we all make mistakes sometimes.

It didn't have the rain cover and was in rough condition in some areas. And they were asking more for it than was profitable.

Thanks for the offer on your previous post but they wanted way way too much for it and on top of that it will cost in the neighborhood of $40 to $50 to ship it from Florida. I tried to post a direct reply on the post but had too many lines

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Aahh no worries. Figured I'd throw the offer out there. The community has been good to me.

I'm currently at $275 in sales for $10 of investment thanks to the covers I found.

There's a guy near me selling a couple sets of irons and other stuff.

Notably, Callaway X22 Tour and Ping i E1 White dots. $90 for the X22s and $200 for the Pings. I'm thinking about offering him a deal for both and then listing both. Seems to be some room for profit out there.

Aahh no worries. Figured I'd throw the offer out there. The community has been good to me.

I'm currently at $275 in sales for $10 of investment thanks to the covers I found.

Notably, Callaway X22 Tour and Ping i E1 White dots. $90 for the X22s and $200 for the Pings. I'm thinking about offering him a deal for both and then listing both. Seems to be some room for profit out there.

Heres a decent way to estimate a possible deal when looking to trade in or resell clubs. https://valueguide.pga.com/

Heres a decent way to estimate a possible deal when looking to trade in or resell clubs. https://valueguide.pga.com/

Thank you, I've been using that and sold listings on eBay.

I've had trouble locating boxes to use for shipping, other than the 37" triangles from USPS. I've tried most of the shops around me and they aren't very willing to share boxes.

I've walked by and left a number of sets over the last half week or so.

South paw set of Cobra Oversize irons (missing 7 - so that was easy to walk from).

Wilson Staff Progressive

Hogan Edge Forged - I have a set of these already and they are some of my favorite forgings of all time. Not the best looking irons Hogan ever made but their playability is flawless.

Callaway Big Bertha irons - same place that overprices clubs, again $6.99 per club!

Adams Tom Watson 52*,60* wedges.

It's a pretty rubbish site. I use it for MSRP values, and really only MSRP values. It irritates me when I go in to PIA and the guy has no idea what a club's value is, then they get on that site and try to use it - many times the "values" on that site aren't anywhere near reality.

I've had trouble locating boxes to use for shipping, other than the 37" triangles from USPS. I've tried most of the shops around me and they aren't very willing to share boxes.

Like I said (I think I told you) check their "recycling" bins out back. I've never had a problem getting my hands on an abundance of golf club boxes (and free sets, in the process haha).

Also, I am a little disappointed the shops wouldn't help you out with some boxes. I know they have them and I know they don't need them and most likely don't do anything with them other than recycle them. Most of the golf stores around me have been more than happy to give me some boxes if I ask them.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

Today's find. Titleist Bullseye 2 side putter.

TFSCDbTl.jpg

JnDe4aVl.jpg

M95Bo1sl.jpg

I have a nice, good condition, exact same new old stock grip for this. Just a tiny bit of cracking starting at the open end, very minor, the rest of the grip is great.

If you ever find those old Bulls Eye grips with fresh enough rubber to pull, they can fetch you a nice little sum of cash - more than the actual putter, in some instances in my experience.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

South paw set of Cobra Oversize irons (missing 7 - so that was easy to walk from).

Wilson Staff Progressive

Hogan Edge Forged - I have a set of these already and they are some of my favorite forgings of all time. Not the best looking irons Hogan ever made but their playability is flawless.

Callaway Big Bertha irons - same place that overprices clubs, again $6.99 per club!

It's a pretty rubbish site. I use it for MSRP values, and really only MSRP values. It irritates me when I go in to PIA and the guy has no idea what a club's value is, then they get on that site and try to use it - many times the "values" on that site aren't anywhere near reality.

Like I said (I think I told you) check their "recycling" bins out back. I've never had a problem getting my hands on an abundance of golf club boxes (and free sets, in the process haha).

Also, I am a little disappointed the shops wouldn't help you out with some boxes. I know they have them and I know they don't need them and most likely don't do anything with them other than recycle them. Most of the golf stores around me have been more than happy to give me some boxes if I ask them.

Do you normally go by after hours for the recycling? I've called most shops and so far had one driver and two irons boxes. But I just keep forgetting to try the bins.

Wilson Staff Progressive

Do you normally go by after hours for the recycling? I've called most shops and so far had one driver and two irons boxes. But I just keep forgetting to try the bins.

Whenever I need them I guess. If their bins are secluded, especially.

If they're not secluded I will some times go in store and ask an employee and yes some times they just tell me they don't have any but more times than not they will be willing to find some for me.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Valueguide is worthless as indicator of FMV. Basically wholesale, trade-in values. Sold listings on eBay is your best source on current values. On actively traded items, it's a good source for determining starting auction prices. Clubs that are "way off the charts" without recent sales history is sort of a sky blue guessing game. Usually go with a BIN listing for the longer exposure period at 20% above my minimum price. Building in some wiggle room for BO's. Even then, some items may take multiple listing periods to finally sell.

I use the free triangular 'Priority Post' medium size boxes from USPS probably 90% of the time. As I don't have an inventory of regular golf club boxes. And don't feel like chasing them down. One can cobble together two of them to make a shipping box of sufficient length. Can fit a set of irons (unless they're wide soled) into one box with careful packing. Don't know if USPS is the cheapest for shipping, but the convenience is worth it. FedEx is not a close by. UPS is to expensive, at least the last time I checked.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I have found this site to be way below what clubs can be sold for on the open market. Like $25 for a full set of 1990 Titleist Tour Model Irons, nobody sells them for that even in below average condition. But I have to agree that it gives a person a jump off point on resale/trade in value.

I have found this site to be way below what clubs can be sold for on the open market. Like $25 for a full set of 1990 Titleist Tour Model Irons, nobody sells them for that even in below average condition. But I have to agree that it gives a person a jump off point on resale/trade in value.

Yes. It's not even close. And PIA thinks some how this is the Gospel of golf club pricing, usually.

Thankfully there is a lot of stuff that isn't even on that site so PIA many times way undervalues clubs they sell, and I've used that to my advantage as much as they've tried to work me ha.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Valueguide is worthless as indicator of FMV. Basically wholesale, trade-in values. Sold listings on eBay is your best source on current values. On actively traded items, it's a good source for determining starting auction prices. Clubs that are "way off the charts" without recent sales history is sort of a sky blue guessing game. Usually go with a BIN listing for the longer exposure period at 20% above my minimum price. Building in some wiggle room for BO's. Even then, some items may take multiple listing periods to finally sell.

I use the free triangular 'Priority Post' medium size boxes from USPS probably 90% of the time. As I don't have an inventory of regular golf club boxes. And don't feel like chasing them down. One can cobble together two of them to make a shipping box of sufficient length. Can fit a set of irons (unless they're wide soled) into one box with careful packing. Don't know if USPS is the cheapest for shipping, but the convenience is worth it. FedEx is not a close by. UPS is to expensive, at least the last time I checked.

I sell frequently on eBay and 99% of the time use USPS triangle shipping tubes, I’ve even glued and taped together four of them to to make a rectangle box to ship a full set of Wilson X31’s (D-PW, 13 clubs) a few years ago and yes USPS is by far the cheapest of all to ship anything even a golf club bag even if you add Signature Verification and full value Insurance. Just my opinion though.

I saw a 2-9 set of Titleist Model 90s yesterday for $49 but could only find two on eBay that sold for less than that, and then a LH Nike Ignite 7 iron that also didn't have good history. If it was RH I would have snatched it up.

For the $10 investment worth I've sold so far, my profit after everything was about $240. So I split that and put half on my credit cards and am going to use the other half to buy a used iron set off Letgo or if I find deals at Goodwill.

I got a set of Top Flite Tour 2-PW+LW out one of my dumpsters the other day. Always were a fun set of clubs. I think an underrated set of irons. I believe Lee Trevino played this exact set at one point or another. I've owned a set (or three) of these over the years - I think the non-Tour versions, though.

And I see these regularly in GWs (though many times not a complete set).

40082781_513572992388095_8929642766829355008_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=214735030f4c69760deb30a4d3eb86f4&oe=5C302B93

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Hi, newbie here-

I own Ram Tradition blades 1-4 with Hogan patent pending drivers 1,3,5. In fact have never real it anything else. My question is: Why the lead tape?

Please excuse my ignorance:-)

Ok, am I understanding correctly that you only have the 1, 2, 3, & 4 irons from the Ram Tradition set but a full set of (1, 3, & 5) Hogan woods to go with them?

Pictures would be most helpful for us to understand what you have and what you are asking about.

That said, if you have clubs (irons or woods) that someone has added lead tape to then that person was adding weight to increase the swingweight of the club. If they knew what they were doing they not only added weight but put that added weight in an area that did their swing the most good.

Should you want to learn more about the fine art of adding lead tape to golf clubs I strongly suggest you contact our resident expert Big Stu.

:rap:

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Man Nice Find. I live out in the Charleston SC Area, I can't tell you how many times Ive done that, its an awesome feeling, I found a Ping Anser Dale head for 3 bucks this week and a Ping anser 2 BeCu for 15$.Thrifting Golf Clubs is a thrilling experience.

UTT OHH Calling Randy you now have competition in the club hoeing area of Charleston :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Man Nice Find. I live out in the Charleston SC Area, I can't tell you how many times Ive done that, its an awesome feeling, I found a Ping Anser Dale head for 3 bucks this week and a Ping anser 2 BeCu for 15$.Thrifting Golf Clubs is a thrilling experience.

UTT OHH Calling Randy you now have competition in the club hoeing area of Charleston :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Stu,

I just saw that. Hmmmm,

Was waiting for my take out order this afternoon, so walked over to the thrift store to kill 15 minutes.

Found a set of Callaway GBB Ruger Titanium, driver, 3+, 5 woods. In ver good condition. At $2.99 each. Was contemplating whether to get these or not, while Holding them in my hands.

Another guy walked over and stared going through the bins. He complained that the price tag covered the sole and couldn't read the making of the sole for numbers.

So I asked what was he looking for ? Replied that he was looking for a 3 wood. I told him he was holding a Cleveland driver with titanium insert...... I handed him the Callaway GBB 3+, he looked at me and asked "don't you want this ?"

I replied that I have more at home and these are of very good condition and handed him the matching driver and the 5 wood. He thanked me and was very happy.

Oh well, had these been steel shafted, I just might brought them home. Thinking back, it'll be hard to hide them walking back with the wife in the car. the take out boxes weren't large enough to cover the woods.

Hi, newbie here-

I own Ram Tradition blades 1-4 with Hogan patent pending drivers 1,3,5. In fact have never real it anything else. My question is: Why the lead tape?

Ok, am I understanding correctly that you only have the 1, 2, 3, & 4 irons from the Ram Tradition set but a full set of (1, 3, & 5) Hogan woods to go with them?

Pictures would be most helpful for us to understand what you have and what you are asking about.

That said, if you have clubs (irons or woods) that someone has added lead tape to then that person was adding weight to increase the swingweight of the club. If they knew what they were doing they not only added weight but put that added weight in an area that did their swing the most good.

Should you want to learn more about the fine art of adding lead tape to golf clubs I strongly suggest you contact our resident expert Big Stu.

My appologies I should have been more carful writing.

I have Ram Tradition blades 4-SW. I practice with the pitching wedge more than any of the others. When I saw that lead tape was being put on I thought maybe there was a flaw with the club that I was not aware.

Mainly this summer I have been practicing making good contact and working the ball with the wedge. I'm hoping by starting with a classic club that my game will be better from the get go. It's been many years since I last played golf for any period of time. I had a set of Ram Traditions then and was able to pick up these a few years ago for a deal. I believe now I will never stray from the Classics, my game is good enough that in a company scramble my clubs were playfully being teased until I birdied two holes and some of my drives were used as well as other shots.

I appreciate your reply and found a few more "lead tape" entries both helped shed some more light.

I have enjoyed reading these Classic site threads.

Golf On!

Daniel

Hi, newbie here-

My appologies I should have been more carful writing.

I have Ram Tradition blades 4-SW. I practice with the pitching wedge more than any of the others. When I saw that lead tape was being put on I thought maybe there was a flaw with the club that I was not aware.

Mainly this summer I have been practicing making good contact and working the ball with the wedge. I'm hoping by starting with a classic club that my game will be better from the get go. It's been many years since I last played golf for any period of time. I had a set of Ram Traditions then and was able to pick up these a few years ago for a deal. I believe now I will never stray from the Classics, my game is good enough that in a company scramble my clubs were playfully being teased until I birdied two holes and some of my drives were used as well as other shots.

I appreciate your reply and found a few more "lead tape" entries both helped shed some more light.

I have enjoyed reading these Classic site threads.

Golf On!

Daniel

I’m jealous! I never find good stuff, just rusty sets missing clubs.

These are my one and only set. A coworker have me a Nike SQ 13.5 driver out of pity.
Nothing wrong with classics. I actually just purchased a set of PING Karsten 2’s green dot for $50 shipped, they needed some TLC, like 40 hours worth, hammering gouges back into place and filing then sanding and scotch bright pads. The 7 iron actually took me 6 hour start to finish. You have to be careful not to create more deep dings or gouges. I only did a partial restoration because they are D-6 swing weight and I didn’t want that to change much. And I found a nice Great Big Bertha 9° Driver and 3 wood of the same. I’m thinking of selling my modern equipment. I played these new old clubs of mine today for the first time with Titleist Balata balls and it was simply great. I also have the first 1966-68 version of the PING Anser Dale Head, Zip 85029. Can’t beat the classics. My other vintage set is full Factory Titleist Tour Models, Woods, Irons and flange Putter.