2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Thrift Store Jackpot

How likely is it to find Dynamic Gold shafts in cheap, bargain thrift bins?? I really want to be able get my hands on couple for less than 10$ because buying online, one pays as much or more in shipping than the value of the shaft itself. I'll just ditch the grips and heads unless they warrant saving.

Remember that DG came in both taper and parallel tips.

How likely is it to find Dynamic Gold shafts in cheap, bargain thrift bins?? I really want to be able get my hands on couple for less than 10$ because buying online, one pays as much or more in shipping than the value of the shaft itself. I'll just ditch the grips and heads unless they warrant saving.

Very likely in my opinion, you should have no trouble finding them

I do this regularly. TT Dynamic pattern shafts must be easily the most commonly fitted shaft, and I'll pick up anything that looks in good nick as a potential donor.

The problem is, when you go looking for something specific in terms of a particular club or flex, it can be very hard to find. I spent far too long looking for a replacement stiff shaft for a FG17 5 iron, and then found a whole replacement club on the bay for buttons.

Ughhh

So I sold the Hoganardi on eBay and was auspicious of the buyer from the start. Sure enough today I get a message claiming the hosel is bent.

His name on eBay is "ibustresellers" which I should have taken as a sign.

cc0kzUJl.png

RVLScgml.png

He hasn't started a dispute yet, just sent me a message.

Best thing to do is to accept the return. In this case Ebay will always agree with the buyer as per Ebay Buyer Protection guarantee.

There is a silver lining, he has a set of Dynamic Gold X100s- I might have to have to purchase these from him and have my club fitter extraordinaire find some imperfections (hint hint).

Just keep looking. Like this thread, the golf season/donation/thrift scene is dying down, once again, for the year. One of the GWs by me has put their rack of clubs away already, a sure sign it's time to ease up on the hunt for the next 6-7 months.

As far as all of you nationwide, does your Goodwills give you a coupon for a percentage off of you next purchase, if you donate to their store? In MN here, they give you a 25% off coupon on any purchase up to $100 or so. You can literally donate anything (a used pair of boxers, technically, lol).

Anyway, I walked away from these yesterday. FG-51s. For two reasons: $4.99 a club, and 2) the 7 iron wasn't there, as I could tell. Though there was a mess of clubs there.

42261177_2617110051848156_4242675184407937024_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=cbc4aabe73f71851357072d098e03069&oe=5C20ECAA

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

2 Orange Whips— large and medium. 99 cents each. Goodwill.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

I found a KG Milled putter for $3. I removed the rust with some cleaning vinegar and redid the paint fill. I probably should have left the rust on as I think it's supposed to be part of the aesthetic. Any ideas about how to speed up the rusting process?

Also got some Titleist DCI-B irons 2-PW for $20.

And some low-profile Browning 500 3-PW for $15. The low center of gravity really helps the ball get in the air. They're not great for hitting out of tall grass though.

Just to be clear, I didn't find all this stuff all at once. These are just a few things I've found over the past year.

I recall playing with a couple of members using Browning low profile irons. They went crazy high. They actually made some very fine blades and the ball was surprisingly popular in the UK. A friend of mine won our club champs with a Browning driver. DCI was the iron that really got Titleist recognised as a club company.

Just keep looking. Like this thread, the golf season/donation/thrift scene is dying down, once again, for the year. One of the GWs by me has put their rack of clubs away already, a sure sign it's time to ease up on the hunt for the next 6-7 months.

As far as all of you nationwide, does your Goodwills give you a coupon for a percentage off of you next purchase, if you donate to their store? In MN here, they give you a 25% off coupon on any purchase up to $100 or so. You can literally donate anything (a used pair of boxers, technically, lol).

Anyway, I walked away from these yesterday. FG-51s. For two reasons: $4.99 a club, and 2) the 7 iron wasn't there, as I could tell. Though there was a mess of clubs there.

Not at $4.99 per club, had it been $1.99 or less I might just climb over the pile to find the 7 iron.

No we don;t get coupon for volume discount, I mean, who will get more than $100 a trip to thrift store ? Most of them shoppers were looking for something specific or just killing time shopping at a lower level than paying for brand new stuff.

We do have senior day which is every Wednesday for 15% off anything. Everyday they'll post or announce 1/2 off special on colored price tag. I think they have a rotation system so 1/2 off to push some stuff that's been there for more than a few weeks.

Strangely, I would spot some nicer golf clubs during the off season here, where some golfers will put away there golf clubs ( or donate them ).

Not at $4.99 per club, had it been $1.99 or less I might just climb over the pile to find the 7 iron.

No we don;t get coupon for volume discount, I mean, who will get more than $100 a trip to thrift store ? Most of them shoppers were looking for something specific or just killing time shopping at a lower level than paying for brand new stuff.

We do have senior day which is every Wednesday for 15% off anything. Everyday they'll post or announce 1/2 off special on colored price tag. I think they have a rotation system so 1/2 off to push some stuff that's been there for more than a few weeks.

Strangely, I would spot some nicer golf clubs during the off season here, where some golfers will put away there golf clubs ( or donate them ).

I think I mispoke a little.

What I meant was - you can donate anything, and any of the local Goodwills will give you a coupon that knocks off 25% off any purchase within any GW, UP TO $100.00, I believe.

I grabbed a Cobra SZ 460 driver yesterday for $2.99 - someone did a DIY "whitening" to it, but had to grab it at that price.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Today's haul from Play It Again Sports

20180917_112137.jpg

Love the Chip-O!!

In my regular foursome, my Chipo is referred to as the

“Weapon of Mass Destruction”

I debuted the Chipo yesterday. I wasn't in a situation requiring it until #18. I missed the green short and had about 10 feet of fairway to fly and a back pin about 70 feet away. Pulled the Chipo and bumped ran it to 2 feet, saving par. Nice first impression!

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

I think I mispoke a little.

What I meant was - you can donate anything, and any of the local Goodwills will give you a coupon that knocks off 25% off any purchase within any GW, UP TO $100.00, I believe.

I grabbed a Cobra SZ 460 driver yesterday for $2.99 - someone did a DIY "whitening" to it, but had to grab it at that price.

Thrift Store around here never give assessed value for donation, they'll just give a blank form for the donors to fill out for themselves.

The Cobra SZ 460 is a nice driver, DIY paint job is no biggie, as long as it's structure is sound. Doesn't that head has composite material ? I'd be careful taking off the paint.

Just picked up a very nice old Wilson Sand Iron. TT Rocket shaft and leather grip I think dates this to the mid 1950's, but I cannot find any additional information about it. Also picked up and almost complete set of Hogan Apex 50's (missing 3 and 6 iron). All for the bargain price of.... $8.50...good day to be at the goodwill.

My Play It Again Sports store has a MINT 8802 that says "The Wilson" on the bottom. I can't make myself pull the trigger at $50. Anybody here want it?

Depending on the level of MINT you're talking about and especially if it is all original shaft/grip you should really consider picking that up. Negotiate a little but getting it for $10 bucks cheaper is not going to change your lifestyle.

My Play It Again Sports store has a MINT 8802 that says "The Wilson" on the bottom. I can't make myself pull the trigger at $50. Anybody here want it?

That's the trouble with this place. You wind up thinking that $5 for anything other than '50s MacGregor persimmon, Hogan Precisions or a '58 Dynapower wedge is overpaying.

Two more clubs I don't need. $3 a piece. A thrift off the beaten path I rarely stop by anymore.

I grabbed a Mac Wedge (I think this was one of their last iterations, via Golfsmith when they bought them out, milled face) and an old Wilson putter. In the background there you see a Murfield JN Mac 5 iron.

42604129_2620538971505264_7710653171877543936_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&oh=b86f6035e23f1261abd867875c3026e3&oe=5C18E8A2

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Not at the asking price ! Some collectors might be interested if you have a photo.

The PIA probably have it online ? Which store is it ?

Fredericksburg VA. I'll pop in there tomorrow and snap some pics.

• The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

That's the trouble with this place. You wind up thinking that $5 for anything other than '50s MacGregor persimmon, Hogan Precisions or a '58 Dynapower wedge is overpaying.

I know. I'm spoiled. Got that PING ChipO for $20 in near perfect shape. I may dicker with the guy tomorrow on the 8802.

• The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Not at the asking price ! Some collectors might be interested if you have a photo.

The PIA probably have it online ? Which store is it ?

Fredericksburg VA. I'll pop in there tomorrow and snap some pics.

Don't make a special trip for that. The guy does not need another putter. I know just for the 8802 / 8803 style he must have at least 7-8 of them.

Plus if it's priced correctly, should be gone within a week.

Depending on the level of MINT you're talking about and especially if it is all original shaft/grip you should really consider picking that up. Negotiate a little but getting it for $10 bucks cheaper is not going to change your lifestyle.

I agree if, this was for personal use and will be gamed. $10 really couldn't put a dent in anyone's life style. A fast food meal is about that much these days. But if it's for fun and investment a 20% price difference could mean a keeper or a pass.

Luckily, I don't collect old golf clubs for my kids. I have a few which I put them to use. My kids can get their own toys.