2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Thrift Store Jackpot

Ughhh

So I sold the Hoganardi on eBay and was auspicious of the buyer from the start. Sure enough today I get a message claiming the hosel is bent.

His name on eBay is "ibustresellers" which I should have taken as a sign.

He hasn't started a dispute yet, just sent me a message.

Best thing to do is to accept the return. In this case Ebay will always agree with the buyer as per Ebay Buyer Protection guarantee.

There is a silver lining, he has a set of Dynamic Gold X100s- I might have to have to purchase these from him and have my club fitter extraordinaire find some imperfections (hint hint).

I would complain if I did not have a chance to see that bent in the listing picture and it was not disclosed in the description.

One time I bought a 3 wood and spotted this bag rub on the shaft when opened the package, it was all the way into the graphite which I could feel the crater like concave with my fingers. I had it returned because it was not disclosed in the photo and/or the description.

Just scored this guy. Need to lengthen it, but I love the head.

20180928_141402.jpg20180928_141159.jpg20180928_141208.jpg

Just saw this I think you may have answered the question I posted in the other thread

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

So, How long is the Jr. ?

Nice looking head.

32". Since it has the original grip I may try it out as is but it's very light in the head. A few inches longer and the swingweight will be much better I think.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

So, How long is the Jr. ?

Nice looking head.

32". Since it has the original grip I may try it out as is but it's very light in the head. A few inches longer and the swingweight will be much better I think.

Yes, These original grips are valuable if you're thinking of preserving it for resale. Certainly can not get these grips any longer.

I had a Hogan Apex HT-1 with original "jumbo" grip, which is in good shape , no cracks and not too dry but, a bit hard to feel. At 36" it was a bit too long for me, never cut it down because of the original grip and shaft.

Since I only buy vintage clubs to play, not as a collector, I have no problems adjusting lengths or changing grips.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

I envy you so much. The UK vintage club market is almost non existent. Our charity stores usually stock a selection of battered and rusty irons, bent putters and wooden headed woods covered in sky marks. In 30 years or more of searching I have found one immaculate old Hogan. It was covered in mud so I cleaned it and sold it for £30. Cost was a mere £3.....my only other quality finds are a couple of Wilson Staff circa late 80s, US models in the store about 600 yards from my home. Regripped and in use. There must be thousands of old classic clubs gathering dust in lofts and garages.

I envy you so much. The UK vintage club market is almost non existent. Our charity stores usually stock a selection of battered and rusty irons, bent putters and wooden headed woods covered in sky marks. In 30 years or more of searching I have found one immaculate old Hogan. It was covered in mud so I cleaned it and sold it for £30. Cost was a mere £3.....my only other quality finds are a couple of Wilson Staff circa late 80s, US models in the store about 600 yards from my home. Regripped and in use. There must be thousands of old classic clubs gathering dust in lofts and garages.

ebay is far and away the best source in the UK, plenty of clubs (classic and tat) have made their way from lofts and garages to my garage.

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

If you're looking for the clubs that can be sold for a 10x markup, then yes, I'd agree you're struggling. Relatively little of the prestige US brands made it over here - and the quality homegrown product doesn't appear to command collectible prices. Even so, you can still put some great sets together out of what you can find. If I only bagged what I've found in charity shops, I'd still be able to choose from Aussie blades, Dynapowers, Slazenger Seve blades, Letters, Mizuno or Pings. And if I'd never found ebay, I'd have picked up a set of Ben Sayers Mentors along the way. I've found Hogan and Maxfli persimmons, some Staff laminates, and even a Harry Busson 3 wood. All this and I would describe myself as a casual browser rather than a dedicated trawler.

Add in what's available on ebay and gumtree and it's not hard to find yourself with too many clubs.

Since I only buy vintage clubs to play, not as a collector, I have no problems adjusting lengths or changing grips.

There are a couple of old putters and 1 irons which I'm not going to regrip or modify. The Hogan Apex putter is one of them I know the grip can not be replaced and too aged to try to remove it ) , another is the one iron Hogan Star Burst Apex.

Oh a set of Hogan persimmon with slick old grips, which I play them as is in the Summer. The warm temperature makes the grip feel a little more subtle.

Very few I did more than changing grips, a putter which I butchered because the shaft won't come out of the hosel no matter what I did. Even heat up the hosel to red hot and still won;t budge. Original thinking was to change the shaft so I could game it the length I want while saving the original shaft and the grip. I'll get back to tackle that putter when I feel healthier with more stamina.

I am the same way-- I play my stuff--- Out of all the clubs I own I have only one that has never been hit or ever will be a long as I live---- That is a Penna blonde driver that I know the history on and it is carefully put up--- I did not buy it. It was given to me by a friend who won it and had it on display in his office for 20 plus years. That club has the prettiest grain I have ever seen on a driver and it was hand assembled. On close scrutiny you can see where every screw is lined up perfectly and the slot in the weight port is lined up perfectly. I did a post on it sometime back but here is a couple of pics from my archives

Yep. I cut off the Hogan grip, extended it 2 inches and put on a PING blackout. In the bag.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

There are a couple of old putters and 1 irons which I'm not going to regrip or modify. The Hogan Apex putter is one of them I know the grip can not be replaced and too aged to try to remove it ) , another is the one iron Hogan Star Burst Apex.

Oh a set of Hogan persimmon with slick old grips, which I play them as is in the Summer. The warm temperature makes the grip feel a little more subtle.

Very few I did more than changing grips, a putter which I butchered because the shaft won't come out of the hosel no matter what I did. Even heat up the hosel to red hot and still won;t budge. Original thinking was to change the shaft so I could game it the length I want while saving the original shaft and the grip. I'll get back to tackle that putter when I feel healthier with more stamina.

You could cut the shaft off just above the hosel and drill out the remaining shaft. Use a drill just under the size of the shaft by about .002 inch to .003 inch. You may have to ream the hosel out afterwards but you’ll be able to re-shaft the head.

You could cut the shaft off just above the hosel and drill out the remaining shaft. Use a drill just under the size of the shaft by about .002 inch to .003 inch. You may have to ream the hosel out afterwards but you’ll be able to re-shaft the head.

Thanks for the suggestion, still trying to save the shaft because they don't make it any more, one of those pencil neck shaft.

I'd cut off the shaft and drill it out if I was not trying to save the original shaft and grip.

I'm beginning to think the tip might be threaded. If I remember correctly, might be the reverse thread, turning the shaft clockwise to loosen it ?

Big Stu, I have that same driver. Blonde, Model 1, Hand Made. It has a really nice grain but not as nice as yours. I've never hit it and it looks like it was hit maybe once or twice. Picked it up a few years ago.

I have several other blonde Model 1s one has a X-100 shaft in it. But this one has the prettiest grain I have ever seen. The one Randy gave me with the graphite shaft is a blonde and that thing is a rocket as long as I do not try to kill it.

Man some of you guys are simply “Gold Club Junkies”
Its supposed to say “Golf Club Junkies” fat fingers on little phone.

Trust me I can relate to fat fingers on the little phone or the big keyboard for that matter too

I scored a bunch of BeCu ISI Ping irons today that I'll be flipping on the Bay. Also got a Sun Mountain stand bag full of Titleist Balatas for $1. About time!!!

Bout time but you deserve it!!!

Yep. I cut off the Hogan grip, extended it 2 inches and put on a PING blackout. In the bag.

Now you are doing it Stu Style--- Good Job--- exactly what I would have done

This thread really does go into hibernate mode right around after the last major of the year.

I thought it was only Minnesota where the golf season (golf club donations) dropped off, but it must be in the Southern states as well.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

This thread really does go into hibernate mode right around after the last major of the year.

I thought it was only Minnesota where the golf season (golf club donations) dropped off, but it must be in the Southern states as well.

And lots of us guys and gals down in the south are still "recovering" from the hurricane.

This is a pic from my best GW yesterday (some of these things are not like the others...)

43225726_2627373057488522_6808734538211000320_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&oh=49827b918ccd749f627cfef6b1683ab6&oe=5C4C4FB6

Anyone know anything about skis? I'd like to make a killing on some high-end skis (if I can)

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

Finding proper shipping boxes might be an issue. Some of those brands (that I can see) could flip for real good money (Fischer,Rossignol) Some not so much (Olin).

If they were asking sub $20 per set you should have bought most all of them (depending on condition of course). Again, shipping boxes and protecting them during shipping is a b**ch!.