2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Most well received Adams forged irons?

socied

I went from a set of Cally X-18's to CB3's in 2011. It was love at first swing. Those are some of the most underrated irons on the planet. I'd always been intrigued by blades but didn't think my game (I shoot mid 80's) was ready. I finally landed a used set of MB2's on eBay and haven't looked back. Now that I've gotten used to a thin top line it's hard to swing anything. Sure they can punish but I think my game it better off with the increase in feedback/feel.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting read. I will say this. When you go to bend them for loft lie you will think they have ping written on them. Outstanding iron , and one I would buy again if I run across cheap. But not on the soft side. Cmb I owned felt better but honestly not more forgiving than the mb2. Both are exceptional quality wise.

I had mine bent 2* upright from standard and 2* strong. Every 90 to 100 rounds I had them checked for L&L and in five seasons they only needed adjustments once after playing southwest courses in the summer months.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Interesting read. I will say this. When you go to bend them for loft lie you will think they have ping written on them. Outstanding iron , and one I would buy again if I run across cheap. But not on the soft side. Cmb I owned felt better but honestly not more forgiving than the mb2. Both are exceptional quality wise.

I had mine bent 2* upright from standard and 2* strong. Every 90 to 100 rounds I had them checked for L&L and in five seasons they only needed adjustments once after playing southwest courses in the summer months.

that sounds just about right!

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'll have to add to the CMB praise.

On a whim, I took a set as a trade on a putter.

I shouldn't be able to hit them handicap-wise, but they have seen off Callaway Apex, XR Pros, XR, and Srixon Z545 amongst others.

They look cool, feel great, are as long as all the above (adjusted for loft), and just as forgiving or not on my mishits.

And they are dead cheap.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

Played CMB's for over 3 years. Great irons. Found a set of MB2's (black finish) and they've put me in a pickle. Love both. MB2 head is heavier, extremely stable, very accurate, and as mentioned, surprisingly forgiving. Can't decide which set to play, so split them up. 5i-7i MB2 and 8-GW CMB. I hit the MB2 mid irons better. Both sets are outstanding. Different, but different like Keri Russell or Michelle Pfeiffer different. Either way is great. :)

Driver: Ping G400 10.5* w/Axivcore Black 5.5 Shaft
3W: Cobra F8 w/Hazardous Black 6.0 Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway x2Hot 19*; x2Hot 22*; x2Hot 25*
Irons: Cobra King Forged TEC Black w/Recoil Shafts 6i-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM6 50/08* "F" Grind;
Vokey SM6 54/08* "M" & 58/08* "M"
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W 34" w/FlatCat Solution Putter Grip
NEO-X GPS Watch; Caddytek Push Cart
Ball: Srixon Q-Star Tour/Bridgestone Tour RXS

"I'm glad to say I've come around, but if I could have one wish....
I'd like another try at 25....or was it 26."

Charlie Daniels

Yes. I shouldn't enjoy my CMBs as I do, and the MB2s look even more forbidding.

But appearance-wise the raw finish and plugs is just cool.

I'll have to try some.

It's a shame I sold my Bettinardi with copper plugs.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

A4 tour with KBS C Taper Lite are my backup set. I knew the second TMAG bought Adams that all the quality clubs were going away. Really sad and pathetic move by TMAG.

CALLAWAY GBB EPIC SUBZERO 9* OBAN KIYOSHI PURPLE

07 BURNER TP 17.5* MATRIX CODE 8
ADAMS PRO GOLD 3H TOUR ISSUE NV 85
COBRA KING FORGED 5-GW KBS TOUR V
CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 56* RAW KBS TOUR V
CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 60* RAW KBS TOUR V
TOULON MILLED COLUMBUS CAMERON BLACK MATADOR MID
TAYLORMADE TP5X
CALLAWAY APEX UT 21* RECOIL 110 DEPENDING ON CONDITIONS

Just a little something I picked up yesterday.

20160420_231027_zpsrcgfpbp3.jpg

YOU LUCKY S O B. Those are beauties.

Why, thank you

Wow, thanks for all the responses. Again, when I started this thread I was simply curious. Now I NEED a set of MB2s and CMBs.

Now, somebody school me on the MB2. I see some raw, pvd, satin, some with plugs. Which ones are retail, which are tour issue (obviously I need these, this is WRX) Which ones should I be looking out for, etc?? Pics would help :) I am a visual learner!

Oh, and where in the world did you get those??

I looked far and wide for these, there is a set on UK eBay at the moment in pvd black with tour issue x100 shafts.

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

Why, thank you

Wow, thanks for all the responses. Again, when I started this thread I was simply curious. Now I NEED a set of MB2s and CMBs.

Now, somebody school me on the MB2. I see some raw, pvd, satin, some with plugs. Which ones are retail, which are tour issue (obviously I need these, this is WRX) Which ones should I be looking out for, etc?? Pics would help :) I am a visual learner!

http://Not allowed because of spams...-for-mb2-irons/

The original release of ADAMS MB PRO series was a luke warm receiption. A bold design that R&D was looking to improve with input from professional golfers. Rust to grade was the original offer, however most professionals didn't mesh with the finish and they felt that moi was to low. So back to the drawing board. The MB2 design first appeared with the same rust to grade but had five brass "plugs" evenly spaced low on the back. This greatly improved trajectory, the issue of the finish was still at hand. Once again the design was enhanced to include the preferred satin chrome finish (reduce glare). About this time ADAMS was receiving feed back that the original R @ G finish was falling out of favor and to complicate issues the input from professionals was that more control was desired. PVD finish was an option proposed and applied (extra cost to manufacture) and to bring the toe of the club around for higher swing speeds a seven weight design was introduced in limited numbers (500 sets) All this was financially taxing the company. With limited sells and exposure, R&D over runs, eventually took a toll on the company and they became vulnerable to overwhelming growth in an industry that was hard to stay afloat in if your not in the top five. Ultimately the MB series with it's simple looks yet complicated design turned out to be a unseen giant in the corner.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Why, thank you

http://Not allowed because of spams...-for-mb2-irons/

The original release of ADAMS MB PRO series was a luke warm receiption. A bold design that R&D was looking to improve with input from professional golfers. Rust to grade was the original offer, however most professionals didn't mesh with the finish and they felt that moi was to high. So back to the drawing board. The MB2 design first appeared with the same rust to grade but had five brass "plugs" evenly spaced low on the back. This greatly improved trajectory, the issue of the finish was still at hand. Once again the design was enhanced to include the preferred satin chrome finish (reduce glare). About this time ADAMS was receiving feed back that the original R @ G finish was falling out of favor and to complicate issues the input from professionals was that more control was desired. PVD finish was an option proposed and applied (extra cost to manufacture) and to bring the toe of the club around for higher swing speeds a seven weight design was introduced in limited numbers (500 sets) All this was financially taxing the company. With limited sells and exposure, R&D over runs, eventually took a toll on the company and they became vulnerable to overwhelming growth in an industry that was hard to stay afloat in if your not in the top five. Ultimately the MB series with it's simple looks yet complicated design turned out to be a unseen giant in the corner.

Erm... I have some MB Black's also, gaming those at the moment 20160424_181547_zpskximjfwd.jpg

Notice that your heads have "forged" stamped on them. I believe they are 1025 carbon. The MB2 series do not say forged. They are cast from 8620 carbon steel and then formed in a 5 ton then 2 ton press forge. (expensive)

The original release of ADAMS MB PRO series was a luke warm receiption. A bold design that R&D was looking to improve with input from professional golfers. Rust to grade was the original offer, however most professionals didn't mesh with the finish and they felt that moi was to low. So back to the drawing board. The MB2 design first appeared with the same rust to grade but had five brass "plugs" evenly spaced low on the back. This greatly improved trajectory, the issue of the finish was still at hand. Once again the design was enhanced to include the preferred satin chrome finish (reduce glare). About this time ADAMS was receiving feed back that the original R @ G finish was falling out of favor and to complicate issues the input from professionals was that more control was desired. PVD finish was an option proposed and applied (extra cost to manufacture) and to bring the toe of the club around for higher swing speeds a seven weight design was introduced in limited numbers (500 sets) All this was financially taxing the company. With limited sells and exposure, R&D over runs, eventually took a toll on the company and they became vulnerable to overwhelming growth in an industry that was hard to stay afloat in if your not in the top five. Ultimately the MB series with it's simple looks yet complicated design turned out to be a unseen giant in the corner.

This implies that the original MB (Pro Black MB that you picture) was also "rust to grade," but I am pretty sure they were all the black PVD finish. An interesting finish detail with my set is that the PW seems to have a copper-looking finish under the PVD, because it shows through a bit in the high wear areas. None of the other clubs in my set seem to have this underlying color. It actually looks pretty cool.

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

This implies that the original MB (Pro Black MB that you picture) was also "rust to grade," but I am pretty sure they were all the black PVD finish. An interesting finish detail with my set is that the PW seems to have a copper-looking finish under the PVD, because it shows through a bit in the high wear areas. None of the other clubs in my set seem to have this underlying color. It actually looks pretty cool.

I have also seen this colouring which is underneath the weight port..

Strangest thing I have seen with the MB Black's is that the 4 iron was at a swingweight of C6 where all the others were absolutely spot on at D2

• 2 years later...

Played the A4 tech, A12 pro, XTD forged and the CMB'S all great irons .

Which ones did you like the best ? I had the CMB 120 KBS and traded them unfortunately. I have a back up set of xtd cross cavity (Matrix Ozik) and play great with them everytime I travel.

tenor.gif?itemid=4180958

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

Adams has so many great heads. What a run they had. The CMB remains a special iron that still hangs with any competitor. So precise and nimble.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 1 year later...

I’m playing adams cmbs that I picked up this year. Love them.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I’ve been thinking of getting an older low cost back up set and have the 716 T-MB’s

How do the MB2’s play in comparison flight, length, feel to the T-MB’s?

They had a set of Adams irons at a play it again sports last time I was there in decent shape...... I think they may have been CB’s though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯