2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Iron Shootout: PXG 0311T vs. Titleist TPI Set 716 T-MB MB SM6

Pure745

Just got back from another amazing range session!

What can I say......phenomenal? Yes, if I said magical some would say I am overstating these irons.

I would say likely one of the best irons....no wait...THE best iron I have hit to date.

Thankyou PXG, just awesome.

Now for the haters, naysayers, critics...........TRY THE DAMN IRONS.

THEN you will be able to speak with intelligence like those of us that have/had these irons.

Fliers are due to a lack of spin. Could be the ball is wet or the clubface during contact.

I have been hitting the 0311T on range mats for the last 3 months and do NOT see fliers,

or distance deviations related to such.

Much better than MBs I have had in the past on off-center contact, ie 710MB, TM MB, 716MB.

Was this latest session off matts as well or was it more like, golf?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are great clubs. I did a fitting at Jim McLean in Ft. Forth and hit them side by side with the AP2's and best for best near identical ball speed and carry, it's on the misses the T-MB's really retained ball speed compared to AP2's. One thing I was worried about was hitting the 7-9 too far due to the design and not being able to flight them, but no such problem. I did get the vokey PW though just because I like to hit a wide variety of shots with it.

Titleist TSR4 10 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Fuji 9.2TS X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

They are great clubs. I did a fitting at Jim McLean in Ft. Forth and hit them side by side with the AP2's and best for best near identical ball speed and carry, it's on the misses the T-MB's really retained ball speed compared to AP2's. One thing I was worried about was hitting the 7-9 too far due to the design and not being able to flight them, but no such problem. I did get the vokey PW though just because I like to hit a wide variety of shots with it.

Great news! I think the new sm6 vokey pitching wedge may have been my best purchase this year!

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

This is good info and personal insight, but if that is why you prefer a forged head then why gamble with the T-MB?

It has nothing to do with being forged or not, just want my good shots to have a tight dispersion. The T-MB's in the long irons weren't a gamble, I was fit for them at TPI if you missed that part. The T-MB's were noticeably better in the long irons compared to the CB/MB, but I wrote a lot about that fitting in another thread. I know there are a lot of different factors going on in this thread and many others on WRX, but this is simply about a guy who bought both sets and compared them to each other :)

This is more so in response to Stage1350, but thanks for the clarity.

@therealping

This is good info and personal insight, but if that is why you prefer a forged head then why gamble with the T-MB?

It has nothing to do with being forged or not, just want my good shots to have a tight dispersion. The T-MB's in the long irons weren't a gamble, I was fit for them at TPI if you missed that part. The T-MB's were noticeably better in the long irons compared to the CB/MB, but I wrote a lot about that fitting in another thread. I know there are a lot of different factors going on in this thread and many others on WRX, but this is simply about a guy who bought both sets and compared them to each other :)

Lol, oops! Sorry MJ, thought you quoted my post. :drinks:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Back to the TMB's Tai? Nice.

I saw more AP-2 with a TMB 3 iron type sets out at the Memorial today. However I did see 2 or 3 bags of 3-PW all TMB's also. That says a lot. Those guys have to have distance control.

I have been all over the T's for a while now. Wanting to fiddle with other sets but refraining. Feel and performance has been solid. I have not seen the crazy long shots (not fliers) that you have.

Building a set of T-MB to try with Nippon C10 X next weekend. I'll be interested to see how I react to the non-forged feel and whether that's a deal breaker.

Honestly, I think they perform so well, you'll get used to the feel. They look a lot better than the PXG's from address and more in line with what you're used to. They're predictable when pure, and more forgiving when not. They don't have the "I hit that so bad I can't believe how good it ended up" factor that the PXG's have. But they also don't have the "I hit that so pure, somehow flew the green now hitting a flop shot and about to make bogey" that the PXG's have. :)

Trying to understand, but don't both clubs cost you in different ways? The T-MBs, when it's a poor shot, and the PXG, when you get a flier. I recognize your connection to the T-MBs. You were playing well with them and then PXG's arrived, but it seems both have performance disadvantages. For your game, you prefer the disadvantage of the T-MBs.

I know you wrote that to Tai, but I'll tell you my reasoning. I mentioned this in another thread.

If I flush a forged club, I want to know what it's going to do. If I pure my 9 iron, I know it's going to fly 150 yards. So when I hit that shot and you feel nothing, because you hit it on the button, that's what I want it to fly.

If I miss it, I expect it to be short. I know I didn't get it. So I know what to expect. It's predictable.

What the PXGs were doing for Tai was the exact opposite. Yes, his misses were better. But when he hit that shot that he knew should fly the perfect distance, he gets a surprise because it flew the green by 10 yards.

I personally want my goods to be predictably good and my bads to be predictably bad. Not the opposite way around.

Edit: That doesn't just apply to PXG. When I did my R11 iron fitting for this site, the distances were all over the place because of the trampoline face. I like the predictability of a forged club and face because I can know what they will do when I hit them right, and I can plan my bail out in case I hit them wrong.

Right there with you. Went back to full sets of blades for this exact reason in both my sets. Every time I have wandered away from forged blades, I come right back.

Building a set of T-MB to try with Nippon C10 X next weekend. I'll be interested to see how I react to the non-forged feel and whether that's a deal breaker.

Honestly, I think they perform so well, you'll get used to the feel. They look a lot better than the PXG's from address and more in line with what you're used to. They're predictable when pure, and more forgiving when not. They don't have the "I hit that so bad I can't believe how good it ended up" factor that the PXG's have. But they also don't have the "I hit that so pure, somehow flew the green now hitting a flop shot and about to make bogey" that the PXG's have. :)

Trying to understand, but don't both clubs cost you in different ways? The T-MBs, when it's a poor shot, and the PXG, when you get a flier. I recognize your connection to the T-MBs. You were playing well with them and then PXG's arrived, but it seems both have performance disadvantages. For your game, you prefer the disadvantage of the T-MBs.

I know you wrote that to Tai, but I'll tell you my reasoning. I mentioned this in another thread.

If I flush a forged club, I want to know what it's going to do. If I pure my 9 iron, I know it's going to fly 150 yards. So when I hit that shot and you feel nothing, because you hit it on the button, that's what I want it to fly.

If I miss it, I expect it to be short. I know I didn't get it. So I know what to expect. It's predictable.

What the PXGs were doing for Tai was the exact opposite. Yes, his misses were better. But when he hit that shot that he knew should fly the perfect distance, he gets a surprise because it flew the green by 10 yards.

I personally want my goods to be predictably good and my bads to be predictably bad. Not the opposite way around.

Edit: That doesn't just apply to PXG. When I did my R11 iron fitting for this site, the distances were all over the place because of the trampoline face. I like the predictability of a forged club and face because I can know what they will do when I hit them right, and I can plan my bail out in case I hit them wrong.

Right there with you. Went back to full sets of blades for this exact reason in both my sets. Every time I have wandered away from forged blades, I come right back.

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

No risk, really. My MP-63/2S14 combo is still ready to roll if these misbehave. Much like Tai's experiment with PXG, we'll see if I can tolerate the feel. He kind of forewarned me that they won't have that pure forged feel. If I can't predictably control the distances, they won't last long.

It should be interesting.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

No risk, really. My MP-63/2S14 combo is still ready to roll if these misbehave. Much like Tai's experiment with PXG, we'll see if I can tolerate the feel. He kind of forewarned me that they won't have that pure forged feel. If I can't predictably control the distances, they won't last long.

It should be interesting.

Post your conclusion!

@therealping

Very good read!! has to be the most informative review on the site! Couldn't agree with Stage and the OP more... I want to know where my miss will go , Recently went through this on a mimi level... the swap to my vega VDC-01 irons plus the 2016 chrome soft ball ( swapped to both at same time ) has netted a full club in length ...at 1st I thought it was "fliers" or hot spot fever.... But in actuality they are just longer... takes some time to talk yourself into pulling 1less club... That being said if the extra 10 yards came randomly I could not stand that ... short mishits are playable( up and down for par ) long is rarely OK percentage wise

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Very good read!! has to be the most informative review on the site! Couldn't agree with Stage and the OP more... I want to know where my miss will go , Recently went through this on a mimi level... the swap to my vega VDC-01 irons plus the 2016 chrome soft ball ( swapped to both at same time ) has netted a full club in length ...at 1st I thought it was "fliers" or hot spot fever.... But in actuality they are just longer... takes some time to talk yourself into pulling 1less club... That being said if the extra 10 yards came randomly I could not stand that ... short mishits are playable( up and down for par ) long is rarely OK percentage wise

Just to clarify, this is one good player's experience with using them and his observations. My take on the thread and reading everyone's comments:

I don't think OP is saying everyone will have this issue. He is discussing his observations. Admittedly, sometimes we get juiced on the course, hit the darn ball with a perfect swing, and voila - 8 more yards that are unexpected. It happens, even to a senior golfer like me. But it happened to the OP, it seems, consistently enough to where he was not comfortable. That is success. That is part of our journey. Gettin comfortable with your tools, especially in competition. I don't worry about those issues other than in a future evening seniors league ... lol.

Just don't want to make a generalization about any iron, any OEM, based on one observation. Sure, it's something to watch as part of your journey, but I have found, in general, that different golfers respond differently to the same club. Enjoy.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Getting back on topic.......... PXG vs T-MB

As a user that has/had both the PXG/T-MB, I can offer valuable experience about these irons......

Got a relevant PM and thought I would share:

"Hi there,

I read your comments on the T-MB vs. the 0311t. I am in the same predicament where I have the T-MB and hit the 7-PW too high and I hate the overall sound and feel of the T-MB. I get good performance out of them and they are the best thing I got at the moment and I have been through a lot of clubs. Have you lost any distance moving to the 0311t? Are they less forgiving than the T-MB. I has thinking of doing a combo set where I was only going to get the 7-PW 0311t and then a 5-6 in the regular 0311. Grateful for you thoughts. thanks."

I pointed out that indeed I found the mid/short irons in the T-MB to have a higher trajectory than I was expecting, and it was about one club higher, ie 6 like a 7.

This person also pointed out the same feel problems that I noted with the T-MB irons....firm/hard especially in the same mid/short irons. I thought the longer irons felt great however. I told him that the 0311t irons are far better in feel than the T-MB, imho.

I mentioned I did not notice any loss of distance by moving to the 0311t irons and that those irons solved the two issues that I had with the T-MB.

As to the combo set, I did not offer a comment as I have not tried the 0311 iron just the 0311t, so perhaps someone that has done that can contribute.

Seems like it might just work, but then there is that distance gap issue perhaps.

BB

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

As a user that has/had both the PXG/T-MB, I can offer valuable experience about these irons......

As to the combo set, I did not offer a comment as I have not tried the 0311 iron just the 0311t, so perhaps someone that has done that can contribute.

Seems like it might just work, but then there is that distance gap issue perhaps.

BB

If anyone was thinking about a combo set, I woujld definitely go to a reputable PXG dealer/clubmaker and spend a couple of hours with him getting fit and getting the gapping with which you are comfortable.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

"Hi there,

I read your comments on the T-MB vs. the 0311t. I am in the same predicament where I have the T-MB and hit the 7-PW too high and I hate the overall sound and feel of the T-MB. I get good performance out of them and they are the best thing I got at the moment and I have been through a lot of clubs. Have you lost any distance moving to the 0311t? Are they less forgiving than the T-MB. I has thinking of doing a combo set where I was only going to get the 7-PW 0311t and then a 5-6 in the regular 0311. Grateful for you thoughts. thanks."

I pointed out that indeed I found the mid/short irons in the T-MB to have a higher trajectory than I was expecting, and it was about one club higher, ie 6 like a 7.

This person also pointed out the same feel problems that I noted with the T-MB irons....firm/hard especially in the same mid/short irons. I thought the longer irons felt great however. I told him that the 0311t irons are far better in feel than the T-MB, imho.

I mentioned I did not notice any loss of distance by moving to the 0311t irons and that those irons solved the two issues that I had with the T-MB.

BB

Same issue i'm having with my 7-PW. Irons launch too high and spin to much in my opinion. May try and bend them 1 degree strong but think I will be going to combo 4-6 TMB, 7-PW CB

"Hi there,

BB

We got it. You like the PXG better than the T-MB

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Just to clarify, this is one good player's experience with using them and his observations. My take on the thread and reading everyone's comments:

I don't think OP is saying everyone will have this issue. He is discussing his observations. Admittedly, sometimes we get juiced on the course, hit the darn ball with a perfect swing, and voila - 8 more yards that are unexpected. It happens, even to a senior golfer like me. But it happened to the OP, it seems, consistently enough to where he was not comfortable. That is success. That is part of our journey. Gettin comfortable with your tools, especially in competition. I don't worry about those issues other than in a future evening seniors league ... lol.

Just don't want to make a generalization about any iron, any OEM, based on one observation. Sure, it's something to watch as part of your journey, but I have found, in general, that different golfers respond differently to the same club. Enjoy.

No clarification needed. As a player who is ver very similar in build , specs and taste to Tai ( and stage for that matter ) I value their opinions much more than some ive read. I've for the most part always played a forged mb or smaller cavity , but I've tried every GI club made at be time or another. And this same thing had been a finding I've had as well. Once you get over a certain speed it seems that some irons offer very unpredictable distance issues. A lot of people call it a myth. Those same people are ones who haven't experienced it , and for the obvious reason.

I've admittedly not been able to hit one , and you can claim my opinion null right there if you like. But knowing what Tai has just seen and what I like in an iron I know I don't need to hit them. That type iron simply isn't for me. Same with a full set of Tmb. I love the look. But the short irons are juiced as well. I won't even post how far I've hit a Tmb 9 iron. It's unreal. Yet it wasn't consistently that distance. Could be plus or minus 10 yards depending on how you went after it. Very hard to explain but it's good tech for a driving iron. But very poor for scoring clubs.

Edit. So yes I agree with you. Lots will benefit from this tech. But I struggle to understand how some guys on tour are loving them. Are they ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the 716 mb's 4-p and just love them. The small head and thin top-line just really suits my eye and mentality which makes them very forgiving for me. As I indicated before, the pxg's, while very forgiving and great feeling (very soft), gave me a little wider dispersion and less distance control with hot spots that would result in shots going much further than desired.

I have the 716 mb's 4-p and just love them. The small head and thin top-line just really suits my eye and mentality which makes them very forgiving for me. As I indicated before, the pxg's, while very forgiving and great feeling (very soft), gave me a little wider dispersion and less distance control with hot spots that would result in shots going much further than desired.

Glad you're enjoying the MBs.

In today's world with manufacturing tolerances fairly tight, I have a tough time pointing to "hot spots." Flyer lies leading to issues ... yes. And sometimes, one's swing gets along with some clubs better than others. Don't know. But hot spots? That's a tough one in today's manufacturing climate.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Glad you're enjoying the MBs.

In today's world with manufacturing tolerances fairly tight, I have a tough time pointing to "hot spots." Flyer lies leading to issues ... yes. And sometimes, one's swing gets along with some clubs better than others. Don't know. But hot spots? That's a tough one in today's manufacturing climate.

For me the bigger the cavity the higher the chance of hitting a ball further than expected, from normal lies. PXG basically has a hidden cavity so makes sense to me. I loved the r9 tp, I didn't love launching one or two short irons a round 10+ yards longer than expected.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have not hit the PXG brand. They look great,rave reviews all over YouTube. I would have trouble spending $2500 to $3000. But I am notorious for having clubs that you do not see on most public courses. I was big into Japan stuff for a time. I enjoyed the strange looks as other players would look at my clubs. None of this improved my scores!!! Not one bit.

I was lucky to stumble across a set of Titleist 716 t-mb's with an upgraded Project X pxi shaft. All I know is they are the best set of irons that I have ever owned. High,straight and very consistent distances and spin. To me they are sharp in appearance in every way. I have never hit a 4 iron so high and long. Funny thing is I did not realize that the 5.0 was a regular flex. I max out at 109 with my driver. 85 to 90 with a 6 iron. For some reason these irons fit me perfectly, if the PXG irons are better then I really hope that I do not find a way to hit them. Since July 4th I have shot my lowest rounds in over a year.

I have not hit the PXG brand. They look great,rave reviews all over YouTube. I would have trouble spending $2500 to $3000. But I am notorious for having clubs that you do not see on most public courses. I was big into Japan stuff for a time. I enjoyed the strange looks as other players would look at my clubs. None of this improved my scores!!! Not one bit.

I was lucky to stumble across a set of Titleist 716 t-mb's with an upgraded Project X pxi shaft. All I know is they are the best set of irons that I have ever owned. High,straight and very consistent distances and spin. To me they are sharp in appearance in every way. I have never hit a 4 iron so high and long. Funny thing is I did not realize that the 5.0 was a regular flex. I max out at 109 with my driver. 85 to 90 with a 6 iron. For some reason these irons fit me perfectly, if the PXG irons are better then I really hope that I do not find a way to hit them. Since July 4th I have shot my lowest rounds in over a year.

Did you get someone to buff out the finish on the bottom of the T-MB in the picture, or did it come that way?

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Did you get someone to buff out the finish on the bottom of the T-MB in the picture, or did it come that way?

It was wearing off so I just finished the process myself. I actually like it better

It was wearing off so I just finished the process myself. I actually like it better

What did you use to get the finish off?

AI Smoke Max Ventus Velocore +
Callaway GBB Fuji 757 vi 

Cobra LTDX max 5w HZRDUS Blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58v PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

What did you use to get the finish off?

Small grain sand block using water.

that looks way better, how long did it take.

I love my tmb

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X