Best Golf Books of All Time

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

posted this in a different thread by mistake, please mods don't hate me now...

anyway, i was asking if anybody had read this book, and what they thought of it...

Post #110. An excellent book which gives a real insight into just how hard golf is for mortals.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

• 9 months later...

I must be the only one in the world who didn't like Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect. Just not a good fit for me at all.

The First Major is not Feinstein's best, but the subject matter and inside access is great. It would be a good one to read this summer to get fired up for Ryder Cup.

An American Caddy at St. Andrews is only about 1/3 golf, but it's a entertaining read. A few good stories about the crusty old caddies there and how they view the tourist hacks they are looping for. A putt that gets halfway to the cup is a "Bon Jovi". If it stops at the lip, it's a "South American country" (in need of one more revolution.

Maybe it's been mentioned already, but Rub of the Green by William Hallberg is about the only fiction golf story that I've ever really enjoyed as a read, and its ended up being one of those books that I've read a bunch of times. It may not be some folks cup of tea, but I think it could have been the best golf movie ever made if it had been cast and directed with an eye toward capturing some of the more prosaic aspects of the 70s. That, and maybe I could live with a different university being the focus, but I get Hallberg's approach to that. No spoilers. You can probably buy a copy at a used book store for a buck or on Amazon.

Let's have a Golfwrx contest to cast Ted!

My first golf book was Jack Nicklaus's "Golf My Way", used it through Junior golf and into my 20's.

I have always come back to Faldo's instructional book for basic framework but pretty much any Hogan book gets me fired up.

I used and abused Faldo's "Swing for Life" which took me from a 14 to a 6. The swing he teaches is sound, and his drills worked well for me.

Golf is Not a Game of Perfect - Bob Rotella - I picked up the audiobook and listen to it occasionally, really has done wonders for my mental game.

This is the book that took me from a 6 to a +1.4, well that and all the short game practice from the book mentioned in the next quote.

Dave pelz short game bible

Like I mentioned above, this book transformed my short game. I really bought into the 1/2, 3/4, and full swing yardages and it's amazing how repeatable it is.

How I Play Golf by Tiger. It's the only golf book I can read and not fall asleep in 2 minutes.

I liked this book as a read, and his short game tips are gold.

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

Maybe it's been mentioned already, but Rub of the Green by William Hallberg is about the only fiction golf story that I've ever really enjoyed as a read, and its ended up being one of those books that I've read a bunch of times. It may not be some folks cup of tea, but I think it could have been the best golf movie ever made if it had been cast and directed with an eye toward capturing some of the more prosaic aspects of the 70s. That, and maybe I could live with a different university being the focus, but I get Hallberg's approach to that. No spoilers. You can probably buy a copy at a used book store for a buck or on Amazon.

NPV, for a good fiction read, see if you can find "The Back Nine" by Billy Motte it "The Green" by Troon McAllister. Probably my favorite two fiction books not written by either Reillyor Dan Jacobs.

NPV, for a good fiction read, see if you can find "The Back Nine" by Billy Motte it "The Green" by Troon McAllister. Probably my favorite two fiction books not written by either Reillyor Dan Jacobs.

Excellent. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll the local stores or online to find some copies.

I always enjoyed The Mystery of Golf by Arnold Haultain written in 1908:

"To sum up, then, in what does the secret of golf lie? Not in one thing, but many. And in many so mysteriously conjoined, so incomprehensibly interwoven, as to baffle analysis. The mind plays as large a part as the muscles; and perhaps the moral nature as large a part of the mind, though this would carry us into regions deeper even than these depths of psychology. Suffice it to say that all golfers know that golf must me played seriously, earnestly; aseriously, as earnestly, as life."

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished the back nine and I would concur that it’s a good read.

Just finished the back nine and I would concur that it’s a good read.

I’m so glad someone else finally read it (and really relieved it was liked!). I probaly push it here (several threads over the years) more than any other book. I just really like it.

I really, really like Mark Frost's books.

Also enjoyed many of the books from the Classics of Golf series that I subscribed to before the internet and on-line books. Bobby Jones Down the Fairway, anything by Bernard Darwin, Charles Price or Dan Jenkins.

Instruction books are so polarizing, one guys miracle is another guys poison. I do like Golf My Way, Little Red Book, On Learning Golf by Percy Boomer.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Mark Frost Bobby Jones, Francis Ouimet, and The Match are all top class. All 3 are tied for my favorite.

I love these, they should be read in the correct order. Greatest Game.....Bobby Jones....the Match.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Great selection of books! I would add “Golf Design” by Robert Trent Jones. It helped me understand how the course architect intended a hole to be played. (Execution of the design, alas, is left to the golfer)

For technique, I very much like Faldo’s “Swing for a Lifetime”, which includes links to his videos on YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t believe I have ever read a golf book. But someone on here recommended Fix Your Body, Fix Your Swing. I bought it a few weeks ago and am using it now. Great for stretching/golf fitness. I really believe this will help my game. I was close on every assessment but even if I had passed I am still doing the prescription exercises along with the others to give myself the maximum flexibility. I made a few discoveries videotaping my swing and this is exactly what I need.