2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping AWT 2.0 vs NS Pro Modus3 105

CSwinton

I'm trying to understand the main differences between these two shafts (Ping AWT 2.0 vs NS Pro Modus3 105) I'm considering for some Ping G irons. I liked them both and will be hitting them again but I'm want some understanding of the qualities / differences. I'm not asking which is better or which I should use. Ping's website lists the Modus3 as a high launch shaft (in stiff) and the AWT 2.0 as medium. I also understand that the AWT has ascending weights based on club. As my current swing is not very consistent I'd like some objective information beyond what my own shots will provide.. ;)

This is where Ping and Nippon differ and I side with Nippon who list the 105T as a mid launch mid spin.

I love the feel of the Nippon and really enjoy the ball flight and playing characteristics of the shaft. I haven't used or even hit the new AWT 2.0 so can't comment on that.

Can you get a demo of both somewhere??

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

C, the AWT 2.0 shaft is new shaft, made for Ping by Nippon, and engineered specifically for the G head... unless you're try to raise ball flight I'm not sure what Modus 120 or even XP 95 would do better... fwiw in the opposite direction I've seen the Project X 5.0 work nicely in the G iron for a little lower spin.

C - here's a copy of part of my post in the G irons thread:

For me all 3 shafts felt very good:

AWT - all-round great performance, gave me a lovely flight and significant distance gains over my existing set up. Felt (subjectively) very smooth and stable.

Project X 5.5 - slightly better performance than the AWT (for me). Felt (subjectively) really stable and strong, perhaps a little boardy (?) but nevertheless nothing I wouldn't be happy playing. Good peak height.

Pro Modus 105 S - I could only describe this as being (feeling) like all the good bits of the other 2 if that makes sense. Felt as though there was sufficient stability and help all rolled into the shaft. Smoothest feeling for me. Marginally, better dispersion/distance than the Project X and only a few yards better than the AWT (nothing to lose any sleep over :lazy2: )

In all honesty I could quite happily have played any of those 3 over my current set up (which was an "off the shelf" CFS R)

Hope this helps a little and doesn't cloudy the waters anymore...

Sumo

Ready for 2024

Ping G430 12* at 44.5" - Ping Tour Chrome Reg 65g
Ping G430 5, 7 AND 9 - Ping Tour Chrome Reg 75g (all standard length)
Callaway Apex 21 DCB 6 -A - TT MPH 95 S
Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black 54 & 58 - TT DG Spinner

Ping ChipR
Kia Ma Maranello/Odyssey 2-Ball Ten S Red (plus several others on the bench!!)

Interesting information! Yes I will have a chance to try them next week some time.

So is the stiffness of the Modus 105 (stiff) likely comparable to the AWT 2.0 (stiff)? I know stiffness designations vary a lot between brands but since they're both made by Nippon are they likely more comparable?

I don't put much stock in the Ping online fitting tool but it recommended the Pro Modus 3 based on the LM data I entered.

On trackman I found little difference between the 3 shafts (ymmv)

Try them - to be honest I don't think you'll make a bad choice - Nippon make fantastic shafts.

Cheers

Ready for 2024

Ping G430 12* at 44.5" - Ping Tour Chrome Reg 65g
Ping G430 5, 7 AND 9 - Ping Tour Chrome Reg 75g (all standard length)
Callaway Apex 21 DCB 6 -A - TT MPH 95 S
Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black 54 & 58 - TT DG Spinner

Ping ChipR
Kia Ma Maranello/Odyssey 2-Ball Ten S Red (plus several others on the bench!!)

AWT's have a very discernable weight difference from long irons to short. The Nippon 105's are constant weight. I'd caution against judging AWT's by demoing just the 7 iron fitting cart club. You should at least swing the other clubs to see how you like the feel.

Regarding trajectory differences between the two shafts, only guys that heavily load the shaft in their clubs is likely to notice. I expect the AWT short irons to flight lower than the 105's, but the long irons should be similar and the AWT's may even flight slightly higher. The difference will be slight though.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

• 2 weeks later...

This shows my recent testing of a Ping G #7 iron with three different shafts.

The first shaft was an AWT 2.0 in stiff flex (white color).

The second shaft was a DG XP S300 (red color).

The third shaft was a Nippon Modus 105 in stiff flex (green color).

I only had access to a #7 iron head, so my comparison was limited. I performed a five-ball test several times with similar results, as well as a ten-ball test. This test was a four-ball test so I could fit most of the numbers on the screen.

Feel-wise, I liked all three shafts, so I decided to let the "test" numbers of each shaft be my guide.

I'm planning to get the Nippon Modus shafts in a 5-S set, and will report further on-course results.

• 8 months later...

Was just about to create my own thread on this and found this one. Bringing it back from the grave. These weight flighted shafts don't make a lot of sense when the fitting/demo carts only provide one iron length and one iron head. Are the AWT's generally "stiffer" than the Pro Modus? Of course they don't have the Pro Modus X for me to hit so I have no idea if that would work either. The torque number on the AWT 2.0 S is lower than the Pro Modus 105 S...but I don't know what that necessarily means in terms of performance or feel. I felt like the Pro Modus 105 S was a bit too whippy and that the AWT 2.0 S was more controllable...not sure what the difference is. Any help would be appreciated.

I have clubs with both shafts - Modus 105s and AWT 2.0s. The modus are a stouter shaft. They also launch a bit lower. For me, I take the 105 when it's windy, and the AWT2.0 when it's not. I love the AWT on a calm day - so much fun just launching high bombs with great spin. Get hurt a little in the wind though.

I have clubs with both shafts - Modus 105s and AWT 2.0s. The modus are a stouter shaft. They also launch a bit lower. For me, I take the 105 when it's windy, and the AWT2.0 when it's not. I love the AWT on a calm day - so much fun just launching high bombs with great spin. Get hurt a little in the wind though.

That's interesting...especially since Ping lists the AWT 2.0 S as "Mid" launch but both versions of the Pro Modus 105 (S and X) at "Mid-High". I'll likely hit both shafts tomorrow and can report back with my own data afterward. I hit them both outdoors today and I felt like the AWT felt "stiffer" and had a lower launch compared to the Modus. Considering they are both made by Nippon it would be nice to know the exact shaft profile.

That's the problem with these weight-ascending shafts. I can't test the long irons to see what it would be like.

I like the idea of PING having Nippon make a stock shaft though. Good idea.

Totally agree on both comments. I liked the Pro Modus and when I found out the AWT was a Nippon shaft I was a lot more receptive to the idea of choosing it. However, not being able to hit an AMT 4 iron shaft and an AMT PW shaft makes it rather difficult to commit to. I'm not sure I would even feel the difference between each individual club...but swinging the 4i and then the PW would be nice before making a purchase decision.

I did contact Ping today to see if they can offer any insight on the AWT shaft profile. All they offer on their website is torque and weight. To be honest I'm not sure how either one of them necessarily affects feel or performance...but I'm hoping if I can get more information I can figure out the difference between the Pro Modus and AWT.

I know it's not a head to head comparison, I hit the modus 105 stiff in the ie and thought they felt really good but I didn't like the look of them.

Hit the ping g with the awt 2.0 in regular during a lesson and it felt like I was hitting rocks. Course I was hitting Maxfli practice balls. But no way I could game them. I don't know if it was the ball or the recoil 110 f4 just feel that much smoother.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

• 1 month later...

I did contact Ping today to see if they can offer any insight on the AWT shaft profile. All they offer on their website is torque and weight. To be honest I'm not sure how either one of them necessarily affects feel or performance...but I'm hoping if I can get more information I can figure out the difference between the Pro Modus and AWT.

Did you ever hear back from Ping?

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

Did you ever hear back from Ping?

I did although it wasn't all that insightful. I'll paste their response below...

"Thank you for your email. You are correct the Nippon shaft is a higher launching shaft compare to the AWT shaft is a mid/low launch shaft. Also the AWT shaft is a heavier shaft at a gram weight of in the X of 119 and the Nippon shaft in an X is 105. I would go with the shaft that feels the best to you and also call around to different retailers to see if they by chance have the Nippon in an X flex shaft to try."

Here's what I would recommend and what I basically ended up doing...

1) Figure out what weight you prefer. At least decide if you want something around 100g or closer to the 120g range (or a variable weight shaft set)

2) Decide what you want/need as far as launch/spin

3) Hit some different shafts and see which feels the best

4) If you find a stiffness/weight that you like but prefer the feel of a different manufacturer, check out the chart below...

67ecdf3a_FCM_chart_TTPxKbs.jpeg

AWT is ascending weight. From the 4 iron to the W there is about 10 grams weight difference.

Modus 105 is constant weight.

Because of the weight progression AWT goes from about the same weight as Modus 105 in the long irons to heavier in the short irons by a fair bit.

There is no "better" shaft between them, they are just different.

• 2 weeks later...

Stumbled upon this thread while researching the Modus3 vs CFS. Wow, does the Modus3 really launch that much higher than everything else? As a high ball hitter who plays in windy conditions, I guess these won't work too well.....

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

• 4 weeks later...

I took in my i200 7 iron with the awt 2.0 shaft stiff to compare with several shafts today. I hit all of them in the launch monitor and I really wanted to put some steelfiber i95 shafts into my pings...guess what- I simply could not get better results than the awt shaft no matter how I tried Then I tried a NS Pro shaft and it was much worse, so I tried the Pro Modus 105S shaft and it came closest to the awt shaft in spin, launch and carry distance. If I changed, it would be to the modus 105 for me but why would I change based on what I saw on the monitor? The awt 2.0 is a pretty good shaft that gets no respect.

Stumbled upon this thread while researching the Modus3 vs CFS. Wow, does the Modus3 really launch that much higher than everything else? As a high ball hitter who plays in windy conditions, I guess these won't work too well.....

In theory, no. But in Ping, it is definitely the highest launching of the bunch. I learned this weekend, when asking why they listed the Modus as higher than the XP, was due to them hardstepping the XP once to get the weight and flight pattern consistently in line with the rest of their offerings. So yes, Modus is the highest launching in the Ping lineup as a "stock" shaft.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

In theory, no. But in Ping, it is definitely the highest launching of the bunch. I learned this weekend, when asking why they listed the Modus as higher than the XP, was due to them hardstepping the XP once to get the weight and flight pattern consistently in line with the rest of their offerings. So yes, Modus is the highest launching in the Ping lineup as a "stock" shaft.

I'm getting back into a set of G's after a brief stint with the i e1's and I'mgoing with CFS. I wasn't too keen on the AWT's the first go-around with the G's; the long irons were just too light. I've played CFS in my previous sets of G15's and 25's, so there's definitely a certain level of comfort with those. Just recent found out that CFS are a descending weight shaft.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

I took in my i200 7 iron with the awt 2.0 shaft stiff to compare with several shafts today. I hit all of them in the launch monitor and I really wanted to put some steelfiber i95 shafts into my pings...guess what- I simply could not get better results than the awt shaft no matter how I tried Then I tried a NS Pro shaft and it was much worse, so I tried the Pro Modus 105S shaft and it came closest to the awt shaft in spin, launch and carry distance. If I changed, it would be to the modus 105 for me but why would I change based on what I saw on the monitor? The awt 2.0 is a pretty good shaft that gets no respect.

I had the same experience in a demo day and a fitting. Launched the XP 95 way too high, but the AWT was super consistent and had a great flight for my swing. I think is a very underrated shaft, probably some because it is "stock", but a top notch shaft that deserves consideration especially in the I200 head. I ordered my I200's and they are due any day now. I will report back when I am able to try all the clubs and not just the 7 iron. The ascending weight makes a lot of sense to me.

I know for one thing that Ping chart can be a tad bit misleading. I hit modus 105S in iblade just about the same traj as my "stock" s300 in 7 iron. Eye guess may be a few feet..but certainly does not correspond to where they put dynamic gold. Yes, I need x flex in irons...looking to go modus 105 or TI Amt.

edit: sp, I would also say my testing weekend was a bust since many vendors skipped and none there had LM

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

• 1 month later...

I know for one thing that Ping chart can be a tad bit misleading. I hit modus 105S in iblade just about the same traj as my "stock" s300 in 7 iron. Eye guess may be a few feet..but certainly does not correspond to where they put dynamic gold. Yes, I need x flex in irons...looking to go modus 105 or TI Amt.

edit: sp, I would also say my testing weekend was a bust since many vendors skipped and none there had LM

I noticed the exact same thing. Hit the iBlade today with Modus 105 Stiff and really had no change to my standard ball flight, trajectory or spin. I've been playing S300 for well over 10 years and am now playing S300 AMT. Even as light as these Modus shafts are, the 7 iron iBlade didn't feel that much lighter vs my standard 7 iron (716 AP2, S300 AMT), not enough to be noticeable at least. I thought they felt really good in that head/shaft combination.

Only guys that heavily load their shafts with a late release and/or a quick tempo will notice a lot of trajectory variation with different shafts. I know I don't. You guys seeing the same trajectory between Dynamic Gold and Modus 105 are likely in the same boat, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I now understand the concept of the awt shafts. I demo the nippon 105, the awt 2.0 and the kbs tour in my i200s. 7 iron only and quickly fell in love with the nippon 105. Didn't feel all that light to me and the numbers were great. Ordered my set with the 105s and hit my longer irons better than I've ever hit them but hitting my shorter irons terrible. The 105s felt very light to me in the 8,9,w, but great in the 4,5,6,7. I found a u wedge with the awt 2.0 just to try and problem solved with the short irons. The awt 2.0 is 10 grams heavier in the short irons and same weight in the long. I wished I had gone with the awt 2.0 because of this. Best of both worlds.

Rogue st Max 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Sim Ti 19.75 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g Elevate Tour
Ping S159 56W and 60B Modus 125
Bettinardi BB-28SB