2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Callaway Apex CF16 - BEST. IRONS. EVER......

Ripken08

I still really like mine, but the clubs seem a little short in club length. Does Callaway measure their irons differently than other manufacturers? It only seems like 1/4" maybe less. I've never done shaft extensions on an iron set. Is it possible to extend that amount? Will swing weight change much adding 1/4"?

I had them lengthened +1/2" and they were 1/4" shorter than my G25s and Ping standard is 1/4" shorter than standard. Not sure but seems the CF16s may be 1/2" shorter to standard based on my experience.

They measure the same as other OEM's but they do have issues with their clubmaking in Mexico from some posts. Call Callaway CS and they will take care of you.

What are you referring to? Have some come short from the factory?

Well, I think the CF16's are keepers. I broke 80 for the first time yesterday with a 78. That included 3 birdies (never done that before) and two more that I lipped out. The irons were spot on, hole high on many holes.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

quick comment on the 'hot spot' issue. So I flew a 5i over the green to a back pin against the wind. There is no way that I should have been able to carry that distance against the wind. If i nutted it then I would be pin high with no wind. Anyway, i whiffed on the chip out bc I hit a branch, took a drop, chunked my pitch, got on and 2 putted for quadruple. I was so mad but I realized at the range that I have been consistently hitting off the toe for the past couple years. I had the RSi1' so off center hits still carried. So basically the hot spot that people have mentioned was really just a pure center struck shot. I've been working on ball striking and my distances are normalizing. And, yes, these CF16's do go 8-12 yards further for the longer irons...not so much extra distance with the PW and AW.

No hot spots... just inconsistent swings and contact.

I recently picked these up. They are longer due to stronger lofts, but they are consistent in distance. I just adjust to what iron I'm hitting now.

I don't care if I hit a pw 200 yards. I'd just adjust and move on. I really don't understand why people say they hit something too long.

Callaway Ai Smoke TD Max driver

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 3 wood

Adams tour proto 20 hybrid

Callaway Apex CB 24 (4-pw)

Vokey sm9 52/58 wedges 

Scotty fastback 1.5 putter

I've not seen a massive distance gain on the irons compared to the psi tours I had before, I have noticed that off centre shots still go a good distance but no miracle fliers !!!

I didn't buy them for the distance I bought them for the forgiveness going forward !!

Titleist TSI2 Hzrdus Smoke 

Titleist TS2 4 wood 

Titleist u500 3 iron 

Titleist 718CB 4-9

Vokey 46,50,54

Wedgeworks 58 T 

Scotty Cameron Circle T SB+
TP5 X
Twitter @5_cav

Just got mine in with the PXi 5.5s and played 18 with them the other day. I still haven't taken them to the range so getting distances on the fly was interesting... once I get these dialed in I don't think they will be leaving my bag for a long time. Came from SLDRs so I am loving the added forgiveness

Had a couple good range sessions yesterday and today trying to get the new distances down.

A couple things of note:

I love the extra distance. I've picked up about 5 yards through the 7 iron. 10 on the 6 through 4. This actually works out really well because now I don't need to carry a 3 iron. I can cover the same yardage as before with 1 less club.

They are really forgiving. I hit a few toward the bottom of the face and still had good distance. Toe hits still retain distance.

Love the sole. They have great turf interaction.

They feel solid. I have the combo set. The pros feel excellent and the cf16 fell very solid. Not clicky to at all.

Callaway Ai Smoke TD Max driver

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 3 wood

Adams tour proto 20 hybrid

Callaway Apex CB 24 (4-pw)

Vokey sm9 52/58 wedges 

Scotty fastback 1.5 putter

Just played my second 18-hole round with the Apex today. On a new and difficult course, I hit a record 9 greens in regulation, including a 204 yard 4 iron that ended 8 feet from the pin (made the birdie). These clubs are just so easy to hit straight. Unfortunately, the honeymoon with the sand wedge appears to be ending, it's turning out to be more and more just like any other wedge: some good shots, some not so good.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

Since getting my 4 iron, I have been absolutely killing it. I have been averaging 208 yards with a 223 yard longest hit. And they are flying straight. I like it so much I ordered a 3 iron. I should be delivered early next week.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Today I took my Ernest ES14 Launch Monitor with me to the range to get some numbers. I just got done comparing the CF16 with Project X LZ 5.5 shafts to the numbers from my TaylorMade RSi2 with Project X PXi 5.5 shafts.

• The CF16 club speed was 3 to 5 mph slower than the RSi2 (shafts in CF16 are heavier).
  • The CF16 ball speed was about 5 MPH faster than the RSi2.
  • The CF16 smash factor was about .08 higher than the RSi2.
  • The CF16 launch angle was 3 - 5 degrees lower than the RSi2.
  • The CF16 back spin was lower for 5i - 8i and higher for 9 - AW than the RSi2.
  • The CF16 carry and total distance was about 5 yards further than the RSi2.

Based on what I have seen on the course, I am not surprised at the numbers. Also it confirmed the LZ shafts are loading better as the club head speed is slower but the ball speed is higher. At some point I will take the ES14 back out and get a larger sample size for each iron.

Callaway Chrome Soft

DD- what are you using the SW for? I was thinking about dumping the Blade 54 for the Apex SW.

I use the SW for pretty much everything. I've been leaving my vokeys out of the bag since I got the Apex. The apex is very good at straightforward pitches and chips, and it works well from the bunker. That is, it works well to just get the ball out of the bunker, but the vokey (I use a 56 M grind) is better at controlling spin and rollout once it lands, but also more risk of thinning it over the green or not getting out if hit too steeply into the sand.

I think it really depends on what you want from your wedge. The apex is safe and easy, the vokey is higher risk/reward.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

Still loving mine after a full season. Hdcp is finally breaking below where I have never been after 35 years. Trending under 9.

Ping Hoofer bag
Ping I20 10.5 Driver with Projext X Black 6.0 shaft
Callaway Mini 1.5 14* Speeder Stiff
Ping G5 5 wood with Pro Launch Blue stiff shaft
Adams V4 3 Hybrid
Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 5-S - DG PRO stiff
58 Callaway Mack Daddy 3
Scotty Cameron California Monterey putter 34"
Pro V1x

I've had my set for about two months now with the recoils. I thought I'd made a mistake for the first month as the recoils took some getting used to, but last weekend I shot my personal best - 77. I don't know that I hit them much longer than my last set (Mizuno MX-200s) but they feel great and shots off the toe, my regular miss, aren't punished as badly. Not sure they're the best irons out there, but they're really nice and I'm glad I bought them.

I've had my set for about two months now with the recoils. I thought I'd made a mistake for the first month as the recoils took some getting used to, but last weekend I shot my personal best - 77. I don't know that I hit them much longer than my last set (Mizuno MX-200s) but they feel great and shots off the toe, my regular miss, aren't punished as badly. Not sure they're the best irons out there, but they're really nice and I'm glad I bought them.

Funny you say that. I did the exact same thing after buying mine with the recoils.

Now I'm happy as a pig in mud.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I bent my 5 iron on a hidden root today. The shaft bent at the hosel. I called Callaway and they sent a label to ship the iron back to them so it can be repaired. I will have to wait a couple weeks to get it back. I will try my TM RSi2 5 iron while is being repaired but I might have to use my 4 Rescue to get the right distance.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Not trying to hijack this thread but just wondered if anyone has hit and compared these to the Steelhead XR's?

Stock shafts being the KBS Tour 90 in these and the XP95 stepless in the Steelheads.

Thx.

In my opinion these are a different class of club. The apex is designed for the "Better" player but who is not maybe the Tournament elite? The XR series is GI / SGI club, big, helpful, lots of face, and..big.

Both use Facecup technology, so I would bet if you gave someone the same swing with the 7 iron of each set, you would see the similar straight, path similar distance.

Apex is probably easier for Better players to work the ball, and the Forged club "feel", versus the bigger cast head "feel"

Just my opinion. FYIW I use Apex in 7-AW and use XR in 4-6 because I am not a really good player with the long irons. (well, or at all :) )

Not trying to hijack this thread but just wondered if anyone has hit and compared these to the Steelhead XR's?

Stock shafts being the KBS Tour 90 in these and the XP95 stepless in the Steelheads.

Thx.

In my opinion these are a different class of club. The apex is designed for the "Better" player but who is not maybe the Tournament elite? The XR series is GI / SGI club, big, helpful, lots of face, and..big.

Both use Facecup technology, so I would bet if you gave someone the same swing with the 7 iron of each set, you would see the similar straight, path similar distance.

Apex is probably easier for Better players to work the ball, and the Forged club "feel", versus the bigger cast head "feel"

Just my opinion. FYIW I use Apex in 7-AW and use XR in 4-6 because I am not a really good player with the long irons. (well, or at all :) )

I understand they are in different classes based on forged vs not forged, etc. but just trying to see how they may compare aside from the obvious differences in their makings. Price wise, a used set of CF16's are about the same as a new set of Steelheads so that is why I am looking for comments on them both. I hit the Steelhead and liked it but never hit the CF16's.

I like your set makeup but unfortunately don't have that option when looking at used CF16's.

Thx.

just give in and bought a set, will report back when had a few rounds

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

Finally got my lies and lofts checked

Lofts were all on point except the 4i and 5i just like I thought

4i came in at 22.5 and 5 at 23

I actually left the 5 at 23 and put the 4 at 20. Now it's a legit bomber off the tee.

All my lies were 2-3* flat. Even used a second machine to confirm that cause it seemed really badly flat. But it was. And I was toe digging.

30% off orders over $300 on cally preowned so I got a set of 5-AW, had some trade ins too. Looking forward to trying.

Cally Epic Speed w/ Accra
Titleist TSR3 16.5 w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5
Ping G425 3 Hybrid w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Ping iCrossover 4 Iron w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Srixon ZX7 5-PW w/ PXLZ 6.0
Cally Jaws Raw w/ TIS400
Ping Fetch/Ping Lil'B

I have had my set for a month now. PX 95 flighted shafts. Compared to my Mizuno 800 forged and also Ping Anser (first generation, ?2011 version) I am hitting the five iron about 7 to 8 yards further and the seven iron 5 yards further. Really like the lower flight of the shorter irons. More forgiving.

Feel is clicky which I don't like but I can accept that for better results.

i've been playing with the apex cf16 all summer, and sometimes i've hit absolutely amazing shots (read, 6 feet to pin from 180 out, almost making my first hole in 1 for a 145 yard par 3). However, I've been having trouble with shots off of the toe and I feel like they leak to the right a lot and lose a ton of distance. Probably partially the indian, but also a bit of the arrow. I went and hit the z545 today with recoils, and didn't love the shaft, but felt it was a bit more forgiving.

Do you all classify the CF16 as a true game improvement or more the more-forgiving players? Cause the z545/565 are definitely in that game improvement category I'd say, and I can use all the help I could get.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6s - TBD upgrade

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7s - TBD upgrade

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4, CB 5-10 DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54S/60S DG S300

TaylorMade Spider X

I would say its an in-betweener. Definitely not as forgiving as a Super Game Improvement club, but way more forgiving than a blade. Looks a little big but not obnoxiously so. If you can play a Ping Gwhatever, or a Tommy Armour 845, you can get used to these. Speaking of 845's, those were really good clubs for a long time.