2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Tell me about Rangefiners ... whats the best

Im tired of looking at my GPS on my phone. Drives me nuts looks like I'm texting on the course. Finally going to make the move to a rangefinder.

What model do you guys recommend? What exactly is 'slope edition' and is it necessary? Are they impossible to use with my anxiety fueled caffeine shaky hands make it impossible to use??

Ive never even tried one before!

Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5 Tour AD DI 6 Stiff

Callaway UT 17 and 21 MMT 70 Stiff

PXG 0311 P Gen 6 4-G

SM10 56S 60M

Bettinardi Queen B 6

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect you'll find most folks have the one they own and like it, but haven't really compared them to know which is better.

I have a Bushnell and like it. Years old, no vibration rubbish, just zap and swing.

I'm willing to bet they're all pretty good, so really what matters is how well it picks a pin out from tress or other stuff behind the green. I've been caught by that before and airmailed a few greens. You learn to zap what's behind the green and then the flag.

I own a Bushnell V2. It is OLD - maybe 6 years and 800 rounds, and it has been around the world. I don't treat it very well, it just slides into pocket in my bag. The thing works great and is easy to use and is built very well. Stupid easy to hit the target and get your number. 95% of the time it is great to have, unless you don't have a line of sight to your target. When you don't have a line sight, you figure out ways to compensate.

I have never had slope, but this feature corrects for elevation changes. It feels a bit like 'cheating' to me to use it so I have never tried.

I have used Leoplolds and found them harder to hit the target.

Gonna keep an eye on this topic.. Ive tried them but have never owned one. They seem like a great tool on the course!

Titleist - TSi3 8* - Ventus Black S6

Callaway - Apex UW 17* - HZRDUS Black Smoke

Taylormade - 2021 P790 4-AW - Project X LS

Vokey - 54* 60* - S400

Evnroll - ER2b - Stability Tour Shaft

I don't believe what I'm seeing. There are TONS of rangefinder threads in the equipment forum. All of them are full of valuable information.

I bought my Leupold GX3 in April 2010. I used it in over 500 rounds, I just put my third battery in it.

They are expensive, at first, but they are definitively an investment. Besides, if I was to buy the latest GX-4i2, it would cost the same as my GX-3 at the time.

The Rules have also changed. The GX-4 was illegal at the time, it is now permitted, with a few restrictions. More and more GPS users are either switching or adding a rangefinder to their arsenal.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

I don't believe what I'm seeing. There are TONS of rangefinder threads in the equipment forum. All of them are full of valuable information.

I bought my Leupold GX3 in April 2010. I used it in over 500 rounds, I just put my third battery in it.

They are expensive, at first, but they are definitively an investment. Besides, if I was to buy the latest GX-4i2, it would cost the same as my GX-3 at the time.

The Rules have also changed. The GX-4 was illegal at the time, it is now permitted, with a few restrictions. More and more GPS users are either switching or adding a rangefinder to their arsenal.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

thats a search on rangefinders I've done it a few times looking for info here and not much is out there....

Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5 Tour AD DI 6 Stiff

Callaway UT 17 and 21 MMT 70 Stiff

PXG 0311 P Gen 6 4-G

SM10 56S 60M

Bettinardi Queen B 6

I don't think you can do wrong with either leupold or bushnell. I have an bushnell M1 and like it alot.

You just need to know how your going to use it. My unit is large and heavy, but the optics are amazing. Others are smaller and lighter but IMO the optics are not as clear. Lighter one are obviously easier to walk with.

The main thing I will tell you is that I would highly recommend buying the unit new, so you can get a warranty. They are moody little things and will crap out on you for no good reason.

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

I'd definitely stray away from golf buddy laser rangefinders. I've had issues with locking on target for both models. They both seem to pick up whatever is behind the flag. If the backside of the flag is clear. It's great, but if there is a tree or an object behind the flag. It will catch that object. I've used a bushnell v4 non slope for 5 rounds and love it.

Cobra fly z+ Aldila rogue black
TM aero burner mini driver aldila rogue black
TM R9 3&5 wood stock
2016 mizuno jpx ez 4-gw
Cleveland cg16 50,56,62
Odyssey black series #5

I've used both Bushnell and Leupold extensively. My only gripe with the Bushnell V2 is it drains battery fast. You have to remove the battery to prolong the life. Unlike with my Leupold GX3, GX3i2 and GX4i2, there is no need to remove the battery whenever not in use and yet it has good battery usage.

Plus, the customer service of Leupold is amazing! They've replaced my 3 year old GX3 with GX3i2 when I sent it to them for repairs. Check this thread out

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/978370-more-leupold-customer-service-stories/

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero Double Diamond Ventus TR Blue 6S tipped 1.5"

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 15* bonded Ventus TR Blue 7S tipped 1.25"

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 20* Ventus TR Blue 8S tipped 1.5"

Epon AF Tour 4-PW Modus 105 Stiff
Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 51, 55, 59 Modus 115 and 125 Wedge Shaft

Byron Morgan 612 GSS

I had a Bushnell 1600 Pro for 5 years. Very accurate and reliable. I just upgraded to a Bushnell V3, it seems just as good, and is smaller and lighter. Also got $60 from Bushnell for the 1600 on their trade-in program.

Cobra Fly-Z driver
Cobra Speed LD 3 wood
Adams LS 3 hybrid
TM Rocketbladez 4 - AW
Ping Tour 56
TM ATV 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Both gps and laser range finders have their pros and cons. I've had both and currently use a bushnell v2. It does a great job, but I have been playing unfamiliar courses lately, some of which have had some shots where it hard to tell where the pin is located on the green. And some didn't have marked sprinkler heads etc. The gps will give you the distance to front, center and back of the greens as well as distance to clear traps etc.. All the v2 gives is distance to pin. So you can see where that could be more difficult with shots where you can't see the surface of the green. And if I were to purchase a new one I would like to try the new one that has slope but also can be disabled for tournament play!

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

I'll throw in a recommendation for the Nikon CoolShot 40. I really don't see a need to spend a lot on a decent laser rangefinder (picked mine up for $200 off Amazon). The CoolShot has fantastic optics and works great using its 8 second scan mode with prioritization for the nearest object in view. You can easily sweep back and forth past the flag and get the distance (no need to aim precisely which can be problematic for a distant pin with some rangefinders). It's also fairly small (not thick like some others) and fits in the hand nicely

I like Bushnells because they just work. The V3 Jolt has been great for me..... and I have shaky hands.

Slope is useful if you play hilly courses. Basically the rangefinder knows how far up or down you have it tilted when it locks onto the flag and it adjusts the distance to account for the rise or fall. The problem is that it's not approved by the USGA for use, so any rounds you use the slope on are out of bounds when it comes to tourney scoring or even handicaps. Dumb rule, but it is what it is. There are a few units out there that you can turn slope on/off on that are usga approved, so if it's important to you I'd look at those.

Just play with the test units in teh store or maybe borrow a friends to see how it works for you. That'll help you find the best one.

I use a skycaddie as my "overview" and my old Bushnell (1500?) if I want a detailed number to the flag. Honestly, if I was shopping today for a range finder, and was planning on continuing to use my GPS, I'd probably get one with slope for practice rounds if nothing else. All of that said, even if I wasn't planning on using the GPS, I'd probably get one with slope for practice rounds and just make a yardage book from google earth.

TLDR - Get one with slope.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a big fan of the Bushnell Tour Z6 Jolt. It is lightning fast and has an excellent display.

Titleist TSi3 8.25* / Ventus Black 6TX

Titleist 915 FD 17.5* / Tensei CK Pro White 80TX

Titleist T100 3i-P / Tour Issue X7

Vokey Raw SM9 50F, 56F, 60M / Tour Issue X7

Scotty Cameron Tour Rat Proto

Titleist Pro - V1x

• 2 months later...

Bushnell Medalist for many, many years now. Runs on 9V, no special batterie, durable (been dropped, rained on, banged etc etc). Never had any issues with optics or even usage in real twilight. Rock solid performance.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

• 5 weeks later...

I started out this year using SkyCaddie app for iPhone. I didn't like always having to take out my phone to figure out distances and yardages only to find out they were wrong anyways. A few people I play with have the Bushnell v3. It seems accurate, it's comfortable to hold, and I like the colour so I bought one. Don't regret it one bit.

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

V3 > V4 based on the comments here. I still use my Medalist, 9V battery that lasts forever, good shape and size and thats the ONLY thing in my bag that has not been replaced i the last 8 years...well, except my Oakley Carbon Half Jacket frame, lol.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I signed up to WRX for this exact question!

I'm looking at picking up a late season deal with a rangefinder. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type I should be looking at? I'm a 15 handicapper so not amazing, but I also want something accurate that won't break the bank.

Do you use a watch? App (which one?) or hand held? I've done some research (this page seems to have a few good recommendations: http://www.grumpygopher.com/best-golf-range-finders/) and it looks like Nikon is the best option?

Any experiences with any of the products on that page or others? And do you have any links to some good deals??

I signed up to WRX for this exact question!

I'm looking at picking up a late season deal with a rangefinder. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type I should be looking at? I'm a 15 handicapper so not amazing, but I also want something accurate that won't break the bank.

Do you use a watch? App (which one?) or hand held? I've done some research (this page seems to have a few good recommendations: http://www.grumpygop...-range-finders/) and it looks like Nikon is the best option?

Any experiences with any of the products on that page or others? And do you have any links to some good deals??

Research???

Go back and read Post #11

Hundreds of threads on this topic.

http://www.golfwrx.c...ersmobile-apps/

Tonge in cheek.................! :taunt:

:sign: