2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, scotee said:

Gotta share the view from my place last night.  It was said you would need to leave the city to escape the light pollution to get a good view but I shot these right out the door. iPhone using night feature and 10 second hand held time exposure. Can't imagine needing a $8 grand camera when these phones are so good now. Quite a good show and lots of pics posted on social media. May happen tonight as well.

Screenshot 2024-05-11 at 3.13.27 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-11 at 3.14.04 PM.png

Ive been jazzed to see these but we were socked in last night and looking the same tonight. Bummer. I live in a place with about 320 sunny days a year and a front comes through now…..

Edited by Duct Tape
Spelling. Again
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, scotee said:

You don't want shaky hands from your brain surgeon, proctologist or dentist.

You make a good point there, especially the last one.  Reminds me, I have a cleaning next month.  From my dentist's shaky-handed hygienist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

19 hours ago, Jim53 said:

17154282132742027250413829222247.jpg

17154282378093901858581979268553.jpg

17154282722694700775374352013881.jpg

1715428295874105854271160902578.jpg

1715428312866354462348258224222.jpg

17154283472213365332040107513416.jpg

1715428364201281105462184831495.jpg

Beautiful wedges. I like the grind on them and the way they sit. I would never play them at my home course though. They would get beat to crap and back in 6 months time

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

18 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

You can use about any brand metal epoxy you want. I've mostly just used Loctite brand. Getting the hosels clean and doing a good shaft prep along with making sure the shaft is all the way seated is critical.

I have used Loctite for years never had a failure. Had a Loctite rep tell me many years ago they make epoxy for several brands including Brampton and Golf Works. They also make the epoxy for the JB Weld brand too. Here I am talking about the 2 part JB Weld epoxy not the gray stuff you patch oil pans and gas tanks with. Yeah you want to get a firestorm started go over to the builders thread and talk about epoxy. I stay away from there like I do the I&A threads. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I have used Loctite for years never had a failure. Had a Loctite rep tell me many years ago they make epoxy for several brands including Brampton and Golf Works. They also make the epoxy for the JB Weld brand too. Here I am talking about the 2 part JB Weld epoxy not the gray stuff you patch oil pans and gas tanks with. Yeah you want to get a firestorm started go over to the builders thread and talk about epoxy. I stay away from there like I do the I&A threads. 

And why do you think I asked you real world guys about it?  That sub-forum’s just strange. 
For the record, I have the Brampton slow cure and shaft beads from an uncompleted project.

Workbench got cleaned yesterday in preparation for this dealio. Wedge shafts were used, so I got them all cleaned up and ready.

And if Chikara wedges work for @Jim53 they need a duffer to try them too.  Got a 54* V1 head coming.  lol

Edited by SnowbirdTom
  • Like 4

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver Aerotech Ti-Fiber Tour 70 stiff

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 woods Aerotech Ti-Fiber Tour 70 stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid Kai-Li 95x 

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons KBS $-taper 120

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW KBS $-taper 120

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO lightweight caddy cart bag on MGI Zip AT

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

29 minutes ago, SnowbirdTom said:

And why do you think I asked you real world guys about it?  That sub-forum’s just strange. 
For the record, I have the Brampton slow cure and shaft beads from an uncompleted project.

Workbench got cleaned yesterday in preparation for this dealio. Wedge shafts were used, so I got them all cleaned up and ready.

And if Chikara wedges work for @Jim53 they need a duffer to try them too.  Got a 54* V1 head coming.  lol

Not to be misleading. I can blueprint a set if I want to. A few moons back @Conrad1953 bought a set of S Series Ping irons off of the net. They were seriously messed up. He wanted them to stock specs. Someone had honed them out and had put 370 shafts in at one point. When they sold them they had installed the stock .355 shafts in with questionable shims. They also had the lofts and lies all over the place. I pulled the whole mess apart and set to rebuilding them. I normally do not like shims but I weighed them up also. Also used new epoxy from the same lot and weighed it up by the mix ounces too. I did have to use a couple of tip weights to get even specs. It took a while but Rad liked them.

On tip weights and this is just me. I do not like a club "slugged in the hosel" as the old timers call them. I do not use them in my stuff. Trust me I can pick up a club and swing it and know if it has tip weights or not. That is one of my personal anal things. Now I will use them if necessary to build a club for someone else.

On my personal stuff my specs would drive some folks nuts. I weight each club according to feel for me. My lies may not be the acceptable spread between clubs but I have the clubs tuned for me. Some clubs I do nothing at all to. Good example is the Vokey 58 in my stash. It hit good out of the box and the only thing I did to it was change the semi rotten grip. The club was new with the plastic on it but was old and the grip was semi rotten. I have never in the 2 years I have owned it had it in my machine. No lead tape on it either. The old 588 I have never did anything to it either. I am not sure the origin of it since I have so many. I think it may have been a scrapyard find. I picked it up in the shop one day and liked the way it sat and felt. I did throw it in the coke and vinegar soak for 24 hours and changed the grip. Been hitting it ever since no lead tape and it has never been in the machine. I have a custom built set of 588s (56 and 60) that my bud Dr Golf (Miura dealer) and I built together for me. Those wedges hit great but for some reason the old junk pile 56 hits better. Some things if they work well I do not mess with.

Now days in the shop I do not mess with other people's stuff that much. If it is someone I know I will throw on a grip or something like that. Newer stuff I flat refuse to mess with. I did do a putter adjustment for a friend the other week. He did ask if I was doing any work now? I told him generally not that I was basically retired from everything except playing golf and my Sunday work. 

• Like 4

The only thing I've ever had done to any set was having the lies bent to my swing.  Usually take a degree or two of tweak to get them nicely playable.  Weights are what they are and we go.  I do get a kick out of the guys that claim they can tell a single degree of loft bend by eye.  The build up set will have three wedges. 45/50/54* and will be used interchangeably when I feel the need by shot requirements.  Heck, I do 8I bump and runs from 80 yards out if the hole calls for it.  

Gotta do my "work" shift as course starter/marshal this afternoon, greeting the regulars and welcoming the new faces.  Real hard work for free golf the rest of the week.

• Like 4

TM Spider GT-X putter

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SnowbirdTom said:

The only thing I've ever had done to any set was having the lies bent to my swing.  Usually take a degree or two of tweak to get them nicely playable.  Weights are what they are and we go.  I do get a kick out of the guys that claim they can tell a single degree of loft bend by eye.  The build up set will have three wedges. 45/50/54* and will be used interchangeably when I feel the need by shot requirements.  Heck, I do 8I bump and runs from 80 yards out if the hole calls for it.  

Gotta do my "work" shift as course starter/marshal this afternoon, greeting the regulars and welcoming the new faces.  Real hard work for free golf the rest of the week.

Now I will admit I am good but not that good. I can eyeball and get within like 3* or so. I can get "field technical" and use a scorecard to reference off of and get darn close. I can remember when TM came out with the twist face drivers I called them the Twisted Sister faces. Everyone was falling all over themselves over that. I told them it was nothing more than the old school way of a bulge and roll face on persimmon drivers. I remember I demonstrated on one using a scorecard as a straight edge and as a reference. Had drawn quite a crowd for some reason that day in that pro shop. Some left dejected some left confused. I do not claim to be an absolute authority, but I have been around this stuff all my life. I am also an information junkie and I do read and listen then analyze and form my own opinion right or wrong. The way my mind works I always seek fresh information and I analyze

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SnowbirdTom said:

From reading your posts I would say you are old school; like I am. With our course conditions I do a lot of bump and runs too but with a 5 iron. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Now I will admit I am good but not that good. I can eyeball and get within like 3* or so. I can get "field technical" and use a scorecard to reference off of and get darn close. I can remember when TM came out with the twist face drivers I called them the Twisted Sister faces. Everyone was falling all over them over themselves over that. I told them it was nothing more than the old school way of a bulge and roll face on persimmon drivers. I remember I demonstrated on one using a scorecard as a straight edge and as a reference. Had drawn quite a crowd for some reason that day in that pro shop. Some left dejected some left confused. I do not claim to be an absolute authority, but I have been around this stuff all my life. I am also an information junkie and I do read and listen then analyze and form my own opinion right or wrong. The way my mind works I always seek fresh information and I analyze

What goes around, comes around Stu.😅

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

4 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

From reading your posts I would say you are old school; like I am. With our course conditions I do a lot of bump and runs too but with a 5 iron. 

One of my favorite shots is a little cut off swing with a 8 iron from 65-70 yards. I'll do that over hitting a full(or close to full) SW or LW all day.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Had an interesting discussion waiting on the Saturday Shootout to begin. Some of the guys were discussing Gap wedges about how some were marked A and some G. This one guy never caught his name plays it some. He is what I call a proper golfer as in matching new clubs and the whole gizmo. Nothing wrong with that IMHO to each his own. He asked me what kind of gap wedge I carried? I told him I don't. He was perplexed. I told him I did not need one that my PW was around the loft of most Gap wedges. He looked in my bag and said "Good Lord what are those" I told him 80s Macgregor blades. Then it was you only carry 3 wedges? Then he saw Rusty Scotty and asked what that was? I told him a 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa FE. He asked about my fairway woods and our league president told him those were 25 years old. I told him not quite they were only 21 years old. The guy laughed and said he was surprised I did not have "wood woods" I told him they were in the trunk of my car. The league president told him I was not kidding there. The guy did ask what the newest club in my bag was and I told him I guessed it was the SM-5 Vokey which is like 5 cycles old now. Our wringer kid said the putter was older than he was since he was born in 2000. Everyone laughed

Yep I play what I want to regardless of the score.

We did ok in the Shootout tied for 2nd in a small field. I told the owner to give the prizes of bottles of cheap wine to someone who would drink the stuff and enjoy it.

I really enjoy seeing the look on guys faces when they look in one of our bags and see the old clubs just like in your story Stu. We get the same here except that I am not the only one.  At my home course, all the regulars know and many are curious enough to give some old vintage a try.

Four of us are going up to a friends’ cottage tomorrow and will be taking three sets of clubs. We are playing hickory on Monday, Classic on Tuesday and modern on Wednesday, all at different courses. I am sure there will be some great conversations with the locals.

My lineup for the trip will be vintage Stu in my “modern” set. I am only taking a hickory SW and using it all three days, the same with my Otey Crisman putter. My classic bag will be my old faithful 76’ Wilson Staffs with three Wilson recently acquired persimmon woods. My “modern” bag will only add a TM Mini Driver and a couple Adams Idea Pro hybrids from 2006. I will use the persimmon fairways in the “modern” bag.

I wish that @BIG STU could join us but instead you will have to be our virtual fifth man. I will try to do you proud.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Well, I’m probably within a year of age to you. 🙂

The day I walked the country club in a Sunday bag holding the 1930ish Hagen set got a lot of WTF!?  Hit the wood faced 2w on the first tee near to perfect in the corner of the dogleg from the up tees.

• Like 4

TM Spider GT-X putter

36 minutes ago, Hickory4ever said:

I really enjoy seeing the look on guys faces when they look in one of our bags and see the old clubs just like in your story Stu. We get the same here except that I am not the only one.  At my home course, all the regulars know and many are curious enough to give some old vintage a try.

Four of us are going up to a friends’ cottage tomorrow and will be taking three sets of clubs. We are playing hickory on Monday, Classic on Tuesday and modern on Wednesday, all at different courses. I am sure there will be some great conversations with the locals.

My lineup for the trip will be vintage Stu in my “modern” set. I am only taking a hickory SW and using it all three days, the same with my Otey Crisman putter. My classic bag will be my old faithful 76’ Wilson Staffs with three Wilson recently acquired persimmon woods. My “modern” bag will only add a TM Mini Driver and a couple Adams Idea Pro hybrids from 2006. I will use the persimmon fairways in the “modern” bag.

I wish that @BIG STU could join us but instead you will have to be our virtual fifth man. I will try to do you proud.

Man I wish I could join you guys. That would be a blast!!! My signature set I coin as "Modern Vintage" After all the Cally driver is a 2014 model as is the Vokey wedge. I looked up the Vokey wedge while ago. Yep SM 5 was made in 2014 2015. I think the newest model is SM-10 now. Yeah I went back to the old Rusty Scotty sorta modern with the Super Stroke grip and my ball pick it up thing on the end. After messing around some and with my nerve damage I have concluded for league play that I am more consistant with it at 35 inches with the SS grip with me claw gripping it and SBST method. Still my back is ok now and it will not stop me from playing vintage putters in my vintage rounds especially the Otey. 

I normally do not go off of stats but I did the math and if I can cut back my 3 putts and make at least 50% of my makable putts I can drop 3 to 5 strokes off my handicap. I am more consistent with the Scotty . 

• Like 2