2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

I've put the 27* hybrid back in the bag which covers the 150 plus distance. Equates appx. loft-wise to a '99 Apex 5i. Funny thing about this. While I prefer the Apexs for shots 125 and less, actually hit the 6i & 7i of the i20's better. Or at least without as much difficulty maintaining respectable distance.

Hoping to get back to the range later, after all the T'storms around this morning pass. Was thinking of taking the Pings along for giggles. See what I can do with them today. Have not hit them in over a month. Perhaps a blended set. But I dislike to much "mix and match", different heads and shafts and all.

But probably time for some experimentation. Especially as I work thru this mid-iron swing issue.

The i20s are actually great irons and I have not ruled out playing with mine

again in the future. My only beef with them is the lower spin and their dislike

of thin misses. I haven't really used them since switching to a softer ball that

I can compress better. That could help get my spin rate back up as well as

making the thin misses less painful.

One thing is I hit them further than any other iron I own loft for loft but I think

that is due to the lower spin. With a softer ball I may not hit them as far but I

don't really care about that so much. The goal is consistency.

In the meantime I ho'd and bought another set of irons lol, but not blades but

a set of old Cobra S9s. They were in great shape and have 90 gram Nippon

shafts in them I want to try. 4-G for $162. Still lovin' Ebay, lol.

Rad you are starting to turn into as big of a club ho as I am----- Could it be something about trucking and club hoeing?

Must be, lol. After so many miles I get a golf club of my choice haha.

It's like the frequent trucker club. Every 400 miles collect one club!! :D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Conrgrats on the S9's Conrad. That's the great thing about used club acquisitions. Something catches your eye, you buy. If it does't quite work out, can usually be liquidated to recoup the investment. Or if well bought, a small ROI. Wash, rinse and repeat.

Recently thrifted a partial set of Ping Eye 2's 2 - PW (minus a 4i and 5I) a couple of weeks back for $20. Couldn't just leave them for another monger to pickup. Never have owned nor played Eye 2's, while seemingly the entire golfing world has played a set of them and one time or another. They're the "Others Pend." U groove variety (11/85 build date) that caused the Ping v. USGA groove dust up. The ones that shred and spin balls back like crazy. Now have the cleaned, buffed, extended and regriped and ready to audition at some point. Even found a SW thereafter (a + no + of all things) for $10 off of CL shortly thereafter. Maybe the anser to my mid-ron woes? Doubtful, but maybe should take the 7i out for a spin. Although giving the irons the "waggle" test has the shafts feeling as stiff as rebar.

Have CFS (regular) in the i20's. The more I ruminate on the mid-iron problem, the more convinced I am that its a yet to be diagnosed swing flaw. Doing something differently than with the D, fairways, hybrids, short irons, with which I'm reasonably satisfied. Not making good ball strikes thus sacrificing distance. The range session may have to wait until tomorrow as the storms are continuing to roll thru the neighborhood today. Going to have a study session tonight with some on hand resources in the hope of gleaning some info that may prove useful.

No way should I be hitting them this short. I'm 6'3", still weigh in at my football playing weight from back in the day, no ailments or infirmaries of any kind. Can hit a large bucket and go right back the next day and hit another without soreness or stiffness. So nothing physical. But it galls me when I see my golf buds still hitting 7 irons from 150 yards and I cannot. Albeit, most are using jacked lofts irons and graphite shafts, but still. Vanity? Absolutely. But beyond that, I know in my mind that this should not be the case. And a detriment to being able to post rounds in the mid to low 80's with consistency. Tantalizingly close, hence the frustration.

Apologies for blathering on about this today. But it has gotten me rather p***ed off at the moment. The real grille buds have turned an unsympathetic ear to my mid-iron complaining. I've been beating them of late, so they offer no advisement. Other than a terse...."What are you complaining about?".

I have CFS regular too. I like the shafts.

Congrats on the Eye2s! And a + no + SW! That is very cool. Those don't show

up much as far as I can remember.

There's a WRXer who has collected every iron Ping made except 4 I think. I

wish I could remember his name. He's a cool guy. I bantered with him in the

past on here. The 4 he is missing are very rare and likely he'll never find one.

He knows a guy, who I think is also a WRXer, who has a whole set of every

Ping iron ever made. The guy was friends with Karsten and started collecting

them from the very beginning.

Both of those guys are Ping encyclopedias. I learned a lot just chatting with

the first guy. Must have been 3-4 years ago now.

SLED Gemini

I used to slice the ball really badly, stopped drinking before my round, put the knife away and now just hit it with the club.

Worked perfectly.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

I used to slice the ball really badly, stopped drinking before my round, put the knife away and now just hit it with the club.

Worked perfectly.

Tol

The stereotypes Americans place on others is shameful and well known... so please don't assume you're always going to be saddled with some views about you and your land here on this forum. But when I read your post an old movie scene popped into my mind. I often quote this famous line when carving at the dinner table.

Classic line. Glad your slice is cured! Even happier to hear you weren't a hooker!

How ‘bout them Snell Balls? They’ve been mentioned. Anyone tried them and decided against gaming them? So far the word is they are very playable and come at a decent price. What's not to love about that?

Yes, I have been using them since last year and they work fabulously for me. Very affordable for a premium ball. I did the test pack before I ordered the 6 dozen deal... @ $157.99 for the 6 pack, that becomes $26.33 (also free shipping) you can't beat that in a ball comparable and also designed by the same guy who designed the Pro V1 when he worked for Titleist.

http://www.snellgolf.com/

Worked perfectly.

Tol

The stereotypes Americans place on others is shameful and well known... so please don't assume you're always going to be saddled with some views about you and your land here on this forum. But when I read your post an old movie scene popped into my mind. I often quote this famous line when carving at the dinner table.

Classic line. Glad your slice is cured! Even happier to hear you weren't a hooker!

Good one Reason, never been a hooker :lol:

One thing I never do is try to pre judge anyone, too many people better at it than me. I get heaps thrown at me over here as I am English by birth, been in Australia for 35 years but many still don't think I am an Aussie.

I have read pages and pages of posts on this thread and find the humour very compatible with mine. Having said that I would be disappointed if you did not give me some grief. :)

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Wow, gardening, when we lived out in the country, about 13 years ago, we had several gardens (including an herb garden as well glk)... that's one of the things I miss most about being out there like that, we had 15 acres, it was very cool... here's a gardening pic my wife took, I was having more fun than it looks like, ha

TOOLed! Been drowning in posts trying to catch up a little!

Welcome aboard to the newer "grillers"!

Tol, finally someone in the same time zone as me!! Woohoo! Never been "Down Under" yet, but I will some day! Royal Melbourne is #1 on my dream list of courses before I croak. I had really hoped I would've have qualified to represent my island a 2 years ago when the Asia Pacific Amateur was held there, someday!

Fella, saw your swing plane post. When I went through the "flatter swing" phase I would just think of swinging it back on the shaft plane. So shorter clubs will be a little more upright compared to the driver. That one worked well for me, shaft plane.

Great posts everyone, I'm just lurking and reading along. Someone asked my once how I had so many likes, I told him "I'm witty?" ;)

Lydia Ko, and Na Yeon Choi have the nicest swing in ALL of golf today. IMO :)

Thug, I'm jealous! Did Brooke mention me, wonder if she got my text??? :D :D :D :cheesy:

Lastly, Charley Hull, great game and yeeeowzah!!!! :deadhorse:

Tol, finally someone in the same time zone as me!! Woohoo! Never been "Down Under" yet, but I will some day! Royal Melbourne is #1 on my dream list of courses before I croak. I had really hoped I would've have qualified to represent my island a 2 years ago when the Asia Pacific Amateur was held there, someday!

Fella, saw your swing plane post. When I went through the "flatter swing" phase I would just think of swinging it back on the shaft plane. So shorter clubs will be a little more upright compared to the driver. That one worked well for me, shaft plane.

Great posts everyone, I'm just lurking and reading along. Someone asked my once how I had so many likes, I told him "I'm witty?" ;)

Thug, I'm jealous! Did Brooke mention me, wonder if she got my text??? :D :D :D :cheesy:

Agree about the time zone, it's difficult talking to someone who just wants to sleep.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

I haven't tried the Snells but price isn't a big factor for me. I'm not a huge Dick Sporting Goods fan when it comes to golf equipment but every year they discount my ball, the Bridgestone B-330S down to $28.99 in the winter. Couple that sale with one of their $20 off $100 coupons and I buy four dozen every year for under $100. The downside is I'm always playing last year's ball. Now that's usually not a big deal but this winter they had a campaign going about the new ball being some huge advance in technology. I admit I was starting to buy into the hype but as usual with golf equipment I think it was much ado about nothing. Or at least much ado about tiny improvements.

Hauled grain last week and will again today Conrad. How do I explain to my wife I get to buy a new golf club for being in the frequent trucker club? :-)

Agree about the time zone, it's difficult talking to someone who just wants to sleep.

I'm usually part of the "night" shift here, which is just 2pm for us. Luckily I wake up early enough here to catch everyone before they call it a night.

I haven't tried the Snells but price isn't a big factor for me. I'm not a huge Dick Sporting Goods fan when it comes to golf equipment but every year they discount my ball, the Bridgestone B-330S down to $28.99 in the winter. Couple that sale with one of their $20 off $100 coupons and I buy four dozen every year for under $100. The downside is I'm always playing last year's ball. Now that's usually not a big deal but this winter they had a campaign going about the new ball being some huge advance in technology. I admit I was starting to buy into the hype but as usual with golf equipment I think it was much ado about nothing. Or at least much ado about tiny improvements.

Hauled grain last week and will again today Conrad. How do I explain to my wife I get to buy a new golf club for being in the frequent trucker club? :-)

Chief, I'm a B330 player. I LOVE that ball, I've tried everything, I've said in a prior thread I shed a tear when they went double dimple but the performance made up for it. I'm a excited to try the newest generation once I'm able, not sure about the whole "slipres" cover but I'm sure it'll still perform. For me the B330 gives me nice drop and stop shot, I tend to spin the pro v1's quite a bit.

Worked perfectly.

Tol

Reasy, no need to be the apologetic American. The US has never cornered the market on stereotyping. Besides, I would be flattered if somebody's stereotype of me was that of hard living, fun-loving, and larger than life. Here's an Aussie poking fun at both sides of that "stereotype", lol (NSFW, btw):

Funny coincidence - I have infrequent work contact with a Stefan, who's kind of a weaselly character. Whenever he does/says something 'eye-roll worthy', the inside joke with my co-workers is to quote from that clip, "...his name is Stefan. HTFU, Stefan."

I agree with this... I think NYC was born with her swing, it's just terrific...

(volume off maybe) :)

You guys done with winter wheat already?! Or you moving last year's harvest? We don't produce on the level that the Midwest does, so I'm sure the cycles of the business are different - we have 3-4 weeks of heightened activity during the year, first the corn, then beans, and wheat at the end of June. When I hear somebody was hauling grain, I tend to associate it as being right around the harvest. It's 95% semis now, but it was kind of neat to see when the old grain trucks (over-grown box trucks w/stake sides) got dusted off for their annual workload, lol. At the same time, they always worried me - some would be about 30 years old (with <10,000 mi, lol) - who knows what the mice had chewed through since it was used last fall.

Worked perfectly.

Tol

Reasy, no need to be the apologetic American. The US has never cornered the market on stereotyping. Besides, I would be flattered if somebody's stereotype of me was that of hard living, fun-loving, and larger than life. Here's an Aussie poking fun at both sides of that "stereotype", lol (NSFW, btw):

Funny coincidence - I have infrequent work contact with a Stefan, who's kind of a weaselly character. Whenever he does/says something 'eye-roll worthy', the inside joke with my co-workers is to quote from that clip, "...his name is Stefan. HTFU, Stefan."

Absolutely, no one on here has any need to apologise, this is heaven compared to what I am use to. I like the way conversations are totally unrelated and you all continue with your own theme.

It's funny Australia is a very diverse country yet many opinions are very narrow, I always tell them it's because the country was founded with English convicts, that always gets a good reaction.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Ok so I am super late to the party here but after my round this weekend I would like to pull up a chair and drink a coke (I can't drink alcohol). Shot an 82 with 4 3-putts and a 4-putt :swoon:

Putter is now on break in the basement and one of the dusters at the end of the bench is in the bag. Rolling out the Odyssey #9 with a Super Stroke on it.... Guess we will see what happens this evening...

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

The 50Elite is still the best ball going IMHO, and at $1/Ball it's nearly Un beatable :)

Pigems, I tried the 50Elite after reading the Ball forum thread touting its virtues, but never liked it nearly as much as the Duo. The Duo feels softer to me, and, performance-wise, I couldn't tell much difference in distance or spin. I keep going back to my used Z-Stars. What's been your experience with the 50E vs. Duo vs. Urethane?

Welcome Silver, the chair is already pulled out for you... what course it that a pic of in your avatar?

That was at Arcadia Bluffs in 2014

Welcome to the grille SB. We've bumped into one another from time to time. Talking CFB IIRC.

Thought your avatar pic might be AB. 10th tee? There may be better courses around, but none that I enjoy playing more. The lone bagpipe at sunset gives one goosebumps.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Ya, welcome SilverBullets and nice to see CrabDaddy back! I take it the

dumpster must have finally burned to the ground, lol. It was a slow burn.

SLED Gemini

Chief, welcome to the frequent trucker club! Free golf clubs tomorrow!

SLED Gemini

The 50Elite is still the best ball going IMHO, and at $1/Ball it's nearly Un beatable :)

Pigems, I tried the 50Elite after reading the Ball forum thread touting its virtues, but never liked it nearly as much as the Duo. The Duo feels softer to me, and, performance-wise, I couldn't tell much difference in distance or spin. I keep going back to my used Z-Stars. What's been your experience with the 50E vs. Duo vs. Urethane?

I actually haven't tried any of the other Wilson balls but have heard good things about the Duo though!! I guess I'll have to try some soon here, just have a hard time playing anything but the 50 right now, it just works so well for Me.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Welcome to the grille SB. We've bumped into one another from time to time. Talking CFB IIRC.

Thought your avatar pic might be AB. 10th tee? There may be better courses around, but none that I enjoy playing more. The lone bagpipe at sunset gives one goosebumps.

Yup, we have bumped into each other talking CFB and probably in the Michigan forum as I travel up there often so I post in there from time to time. I refuse to talk CFB with any State fans for the time being... They have the Bucks number right now...

I honestly have no idea which hole that was taken on. All I remember is it was taken in the middle fairway after I stuffed an approach on a par 4 (that's my putter in my hand). My mom was walking the course with us hanging out, enjoying the scenery, talking my caddie's head off, and taking photos. I was mostly walking alone as my father and wife were looking for golf balls all day long with their caddie and I was annoyed with my mom and my caddie paying 0 attention to me (except for when it was time to give me an incorrect club selection lol).

I actually haven't tried any of the other Wilson balls but have heard good things about the Duo though!! I guess I'll have to try some soon here, just have a hard time playing anything but the 50 right now, it just works so well for Me.

Ever so slightly favor the Duo. Just seems a touch more responsive for me. But the 50 is an excellent ball and at $13/doz., a unsurpassed value. Been playing the Duo Spin some this year. really don't notice any difference from the regular. So probably not going to pay the premium next time I'm buying balls. The FG Tour is an outstanding premium ball as well (a fav). Bought a doz a couple of years back at discount. Alas, they are now deposited in the netherlands save for one, that is being hoarded for the right occasion.

The other plus with Wilson balls, never have to affix markings for ID purposes. Never encounter anyone else playing them.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Ever so slightly favor the Duo. Just seems a touch more responsive for me. But the 50 is an excellent ball and at $13/doz., a unsurpassed value. Been playing the Duo Spin some this year. really don't notice any difference from the regular. So probably not going to pay the premium next time I'm buying balls. The FG Tour is an outstanding premium ball as well (a fav). Bought a doz a couple of years back at discount. Alas, they are now deposited in the netherlands save for one, that is being hoarded for the right occasion.

The other plus with Wilson balls, never have to affix markings for ID purposes. Never encounter anyone else playing them.

The FG Tour balls are AWESOME. I bought a few dozen cosmetic blemishes (I literally never saw a blemish, though some balls did have a brownish tint to the cover) and my god was I impressed.

Ya, welcome SilverBullets and nice to see CrabDaddy back! I take it the

dumpster must have finally burned to the ground, lol. It was a slow burn.

I'm just lazy about changing my avatar back to status quo after lacrosse season. The only slow burn has been me after MD's OT loss in the finals. (Why were they sagged so far off Cloutier?! Why?! :alcoholic: )

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)