Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Sounds good if you ask me. I can remember back 2 weeks or so they did a complete aeration of our course. Now they swept the plugs into the roughs and used some on the bare areas in both fairways and roughs. Now some people become instant ignorant when they open their pie holes. In our league the last 2 weeks we have been playing it up everywhere due to plugs being in roughs and some bare spots. One of the Northern Nuclear Scientists (he thinks he is anyhow on any subject) said that just raking the plugs over was sheer laziness. I called BS on him in front of everyone. I told him first off it saved the club money in labor and besides those plugs are organic and have seed and nutrients in them. I asked him if he thought in his pea sides brain if it would do us any good dumping them in the woods to rot? Now some 2 weeks later most plugs are gone and they did spread them out and our fairways and roughs are popping. The course owner asked me what I thought on the fairways Thursday? I told them they were great that even though we play the ball up in the fairways I did not touch mine all day that every lie I had was good. Now our greens have a ways to go and this drought is not helping but they are improving.

If you go back in history when we were in school and they actually taught us something useful I learned the Indians showed the early settlers how to put dead fish around crops for fertilizer. Used to be a lot of fertilizers were liquid and made from fish emulsion. I can remember growing up we used to haul sewer sludge from the waste treatment plant and mix it with sand and use an old school manure spreader to spread it out on the course. Now days for what ever reason you can not buy it but can buy what is called Millorginite which is processed sewer sludge processed and pelletized. LOL used to have to take a nail on the end of a stick and pick out used condoms from the sludge then ride the course to further check. Trust me I do not miss those days. We also used to haul chicken manure out from the chicken farmers, and they were more than glad to give it to us and take their front end loaded and load it. With chicken manure you have a high content of nitrogen, and you have to mix it about 15% manure to sand. If you do not you will burn the grass up. Yes I ran many a mile on my old 8N Ford tractor with an old school manure spreader.

Yep I totally agree with the farmers here. The more I live the more I see the old school natural ways are better

My daughter does a part time gig at a holistic small farm, it's not cheaper to grow things that way but they manage. Sell yield to higher end restaurants and such.

My cousin runs the family farm in old country, they take the manure and put it in a tank, haul it out and spray the pastures with it.

• Like 3

Wait, there're at least TWO of yall in here younger than me? Sigh.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB LA GOLF L

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.04°T LA GOLF WV

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P

6 hours ago, dashanks said:

I've found that a lot of golfers are really good guys, but there is also a good-sized contingent of prissy d-bags who will take the opportunity to complain about anything.

Oh yes they will. Our course has generally the lowest rates in season of any course around here. Now we are not Augusta National nor claim to be. Also our food and beverage prices are the most reasonable on this beach. But people expect Corbel conditions on an Old Milwaukee budget.

Had this couple in the clubhouse one day I think it was 2 years ago. They did the Hot Dog Special which was a Hot Dog (all beef not cheap crap) bag of chips and a Domestic Beer for $10 each. They were on the patio complaining about the course which was not in bad shape at the time. I asked them how much they paid? This was in the height of the Spring Golf season. They said they had booked through one of the services and it was $45 each for 18 and a cart. I told them if they wanted pristine conditions they needed to go up the road to The International Club. I knew for a fact their rates were right at $90 per player for 18 and a cart which was 2nd cheapest on the beach. I also told them that what they got each for $10 in the snack bar that the price over there would have been at least $15 to $16 each. I think at the time Myrtle Beach National was around $125 for 18 and a cart per player. They clammed up after that.

On the other end of the spectrum the next day I met some nice people from WVA. They were down for a month and loved the place. The guy stated he loved it because on their golf budget they could play double the rounds and drink double the beer for their golf vacation budget. 

This year I had some tourist say I bet you members hate us. I said naah because I am in the Members League and we have a standing tee time 5 days a week at 7:30. I told them besides being a full member if we have 2 or more members, we have priority and can bump any tee times back. I told him heck I love you guys for the fact you keep my full time membership rates and food costs low. I did not tell them this specifically but the $10 special we get for $8 with Members discount. LOL he clammed up rather quickly

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Had a productive morning before it got hot for not really doing anything. Got off of here and conditioned the leather grips on the hickory clubs for tomorrows Par3 play. Of course, our French Bulldog named Tank supervised. Since the license tag renewal sticker came yesterday for the van, I took care of that. Put the Par 3 set in the bag and checked to see if the wife had her 3 balls and I had my 3 Maxfli wound balls in the bag. Did throw 2 extra gloves in that bag for me. Took my regular 7 iron and checked he loft on it. I had not been hitting it the distance I wanted the last few days. It was ok so in this case (as usual) it was the Indian not the arrow. Got the vintage set ready to go for Sunday morning. Put 2 extra gloves in that set up. I am supposed to play with one of my league buds who has not played a lot lately due to going back to work. He did not have to but the FAA offered him so much money he went back. This time of the year I keep about 10 gloves on standby since I sweat so much. I decided that most of the idiots were hung over and not up yet so I went one block North to Wally World and bought 5 more. I use those Wilson gloves they sell cheap. For the price they hold up really well despite me having cord grips on most of my stuff.

Came home cut up one of the lopes I had in the fridge and we had that along with sliced apples, grapes, blueberries and strawberries. Now to add some protein the wife fried me up 2 strips of bacon and 2 for her along with some sliced Kerry Gold cheese. LOL I got full and took a nap

Was doing some back research on here and found out I was here in the grille darn near from the start. My first comment was on page 2. Lots of members have came and went in the 10 years or so. I think Rad ,Scotee and myself are all the regular posters left from the original bunch. Now Bill and Sixty from the original bunch post some. I know our bud Tol from down under by reading some of his early posts has to be in his 80s now. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Conrad1953 said:

Congrats on #40 DT. 

Speaking of the wife……….. our old pal here @DavePelz4 posted many hilarious posts about “Mrs Pelz” over the years.

I wondered what might happen if she happened to read his posts…….then one day I learned there was no “Mrs Pelz”.

That explained why he was still alive and posting.

Oh she’s real. She’s yelling at me to get off this iPad so we can go shopping. 😳

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, miamistomp said:

r/Battlecars - Is that a freaking lifted pinto???

With all of that going on I hope it at least has a small block V-8 in it. I also hope for safety sake they relocated and replaced the gas tank with a fuel cell. Of course one can get quite a bit of HP from the 4 cylinder 2300 too

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Conrad1953 said:

Congrats on #40 DT. 

Speaking of the wife……….. our old pal here @DavePelz4 posted many hilarious posts about “Mrs Pelz” over the years.

I wondered what might happen if she happened to read his posts…….then one day I learned there was no “Mrs Pelz”.

That explained why he was still alive and posting.

A long time ago I was reading somewhere that TM made a V-Steel 9 wood. I stated if I ever saw one I would immediately buy one. DP4 sent me a PM and stated he had one. I asked him how much? He told me send me your address I will send it for nothing. He would not even let me pay postage. What a guy!! Look at my signature it still resides in my bag today. Clubs I am extremely fond of I give a nickname. Since he resides in Chicago I call that 9 wood " Little Chicago". The 7 wood I have had since it is new I call "Old Reliable". Others call it "that dammed 7 wood". The rusty Sante Fe I simply call "Rusty" Back in the day it was known on this end of the beach as "that Rusty SOB Scotty"

• Like 4

14 hours ago, bladehunter said:

This is how it was done pre 1920 ish. It’s never been better to do it how they are now. They rape everything. Spray kill , no till plant.  Harvest the wheat , then spray kill again and no till plant soybeans for a late crop.  Two high nutrient sucking crops in one year off one piece of land. Then in the spring at they willl put down a slurry of turkey or hog waste , mixed with other chemicals. And do it all over again.  If they’d plant one crop.  Harvest and turn that field over , it would  then put grass back on , move cattle to that field.  And plant next year on a field that the cattle has been on. Rinse repeat. Zero chemical needed.  

big farm now is one hit wonders.  They’ll grow soybeans and corn. That’s it. Making plastic and corn syrup is  why . It’s not for food.  It’s for plastic to package the fake food. It’s should be made illegal.  

happy to say I use zero pesticide and zero herbicide on food - only once a year herbicide on the field before  the sunflowers .  We cultivate ours. Which means l plow between plants. Then hand hoe those that allow it until they mature.  I use a natural fertilizer that is fish byproducts plus organic material that’s composted.   

I know more about golf course agronomy than I do farming. Now I will say I do not know as much as any superintendent though. I can remember when I was the equipment manager for the Tourist trap up the road. We had a guy in the CCU turf program. He always had books with different grass diseases and bugs. I told him the way I was wired I would go to sleep in one of those classes. I told him but if the instructor had the hydro drive on a John Deere mower torn down I would be front and center with my nose and hands into it. Basically as agronomy goes like a computer I can do something if someone who knows their stuff shows me. At the tourist trap they got fined on a DHEC inspection because the Super had let his pesticide and chemical license expire. I actually had to supervise chemical and Haz Mat storage until he took the classes and renewed his license. Not that I knew anything but through the State Fire Academy and FEMA I was a certified Haz Mat technician. I was good for one more year. I told them I was not going to renew that I was not a first responder anymore and besides they were not paying me one thin dime more.

My granddad on step Mom's side was a Tobacco Farmer in Eastern NC. Now I would help out some in Harvest season but know zilch to this day about the nuts and bolts of it. I do remember in addition he grew corn, potatoes, watermelon and peanuts. I can remember the week after all the Tobacco was picked, cured and taken to market he spent the next week plowing and turning the stalks under. I do know he rotated fields on all his other stuff and soon as all of that was harvested he plowed and turned it under. I do know on those crops he rotated the fields. He would say about the end of October that all was done and he would sit back until about January when they did the tobacco beds. They did use plastic covers and gassed the small Tobacco plants. Around April they would transplant the small plants into the fields where they would grow to maturity. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Congrats to both of you.  In about 10 days it will be 36 for us.

Yeah, well, it's been a week for me and Mrs. ae 😁

• Haha 4

Looking for clips from Wednesday's Weenie Roast and found this one I ain't seen. From the PRB gig a couple months back ... sound kinda sucks from sidestage and of course they never even bothered to think "Hey, let's catch the drummer for a second." Sigh. 

You might know this tune, Stu. The OG is a lil different but that's what we do! 

Edited by aenemated
  • Like 3

edited this. it isn't that interesting, so please feel free to skip.

Spoiler

sigh. have to do lunch with the dreaded, 81-year old mil. you know you’re a narcissist if you’re still trying to get plastic surgery at 81. saying good bye to her 82-year old “boyfriend” she’s dumping and sending to live with his son. he’s too old for her, she says. she’s going to find some 50-year old to take her out dining and dancing every night.

sigh. and she never shuts up and will do her best to relentlessly be the center of attention in the restaurant. she drinks vodka and tequila for breakfast and will be smashed by lunch time.

and now she’s got the bug that we should buy a house with her and entertain her 24/7. the woman walks behind everyone with a dustbuster. the good thing is that i get to hear the same stories over and over and over. sometimes twice in an hour.

i should write a movie script. wish me luck.

i should probably mention that the daughter has spent a lifetime being the opposite. on purpose.

Edited by Soloman1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

23 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

sigh. have to do lunch with the dreaded, 81-year old mil. you know you’re a narcissist if you’re still trying to get plastic surgery at 81. saying good bye to her 82-year old “boyfriend” she’s dumping and sending to live with his son. he’s too old for her, she says. she’s going to find some 50-year old to take her out dining and dancing every night.

sigh. and she never shuts up and will do her best to relentlessly be the center of attention in the restaurant. she drinks vodka and tequila for breakfast and will be smashed by lunch time.

and now she’s got the bug that we should buy a house with her and entertain her 24/7. the woman walks behind everyone with a dustbuster. the good thing is that i get to hear the same stories over and over and over. sometimes twice in an hour.

i should probably mention that the daughter has spent a lifetime being the opposite. on purpose.

Brutal, is the restaurant any good at least or can you pick the place?

Then you can order some good stuff and just focus on the cuisine. 

36 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Almost as bad as having to go to the opera tonight.  

The daughter sounds like a keeper though. You win. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Brutal, is the restaurant any good at least or can you pick the place?

Then you can order some good stuff and just focus on the cuisine. 

more uninteresting.

Spoiler

good question.

steak house. think we'll do prime rib. i can do steaks at home, so i'll go for what they can do better.

feel bad for the old guy because he's not taking it well. must be embarrassing for him. he doesn't know her history, only what she tells him.

example #12: last husband goes to icu with spesis. next day is father's day. he's awake, but on a ventilator. she had them pull the plug on him. didn't tell anyone or shed a tear. she wanted that damn portable breathing thing he had gone from the house because the cord went across her living room floor. it was gone the next day.

waited 6 months for hold his funeral on wife's birthday. father's day is now the day he died and her birthday is his funeral day.

evil to the core.

Edited by Soloman1
  • Sad 2

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

36 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

good question.

steak house. think we'll do prime rib. i can do steaks at home, so i'll go for what they can do better.

feel bad for the old guy because he's not taking it well. must be embarrassing for him. he doesn't know her history, only what she tells him.

example #12: last husband goes to icu with spesis. next day is father's day. he's awake, but on a ventilator. she had them pull the plug on him. didn't tell anyone or shed a tear. she wanted that damn portable breathing thing he had gone from the house because the cord went across her living room floor. it was gone the next day.

waited 6 months for hold his funeral on wife's birthday. father's day is now the day he died and her birthday is his funeral day.

evil to the core.

“he's awake, but on a ventilator. she had them pull the plug on him.”

What?! That can’t be legal?

Although I have questions about the dynamics of how your wife and mil interact, I won’t pry, just assume “thats my mom” gotta make the best of it. 

And should I assume that, for the benefit of your wife, you steer clear of calling out this woman in a fitting manner? 

• Like 2