Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

30 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

That’s begs the question.  If you had a 16 year old who’s smart enough to do anything , which way do you point him? .  Understanding of course that free will will do what it do. 

last check had him planning to be a surgeon. Which I’m certain he gravitates toward because he’s been around a surgeons practice since birth.  But that requires admission to programs. So some politics and chance.  And is risky depending on what medical regulations  do before 2035 which is about when  he’d be able to buy into a private practice. It looks more and more risky by the day.  Nobody wants to go to school for 10-11 years and make $50k a year.  Which by then will be below the poverty line. 🤣

It’s perilous trying to give a kid advice today.  The advice I wish I had , isn’t applicable now.  So I don’t benefit from mistakes as much.  My mistakes have mostly turned into happy accidents.  As degrees become worthless ,because  they offer no experience - and experience becomes the only thing of value.  Weird thing to not know what to do.  If I don’t know. How on earth is he supposed to know. 

I have young ones finding their way, the one bright spot is the dearth of able workers. The demographic shifts are leaving lots of opportunity for them. Agile minds and good work ethic will go far if the collective does not screw things too much. Agility means navigating career path too, a surgeon will be fine in all probability, I just had shoulder repair, they were all paid well, lol. My daughter has been a nurse for 7 years, I tell her "get the NP license, navigate it girl", so it may take time, but reality is there's a solid path for young ones who stay pro-active.

1 minute ago, Nard_S said:

I have young ones finding their way, the one bright spot is the dearth of able workers. The demographic shifts are leaving lots of opportunity for them. Agile minds and good work ethic will go far if the collective does not screw things too much. Agility means navigating career path too, a surgeon will be fine in all probability, I just had shoulder repair, they were all paid well, lol. My daughter has been a nurse for 7 years, I tell her "get the NP license, navigate it girl", so it may take time, but reality is there's a solid path for young ones who stay pro-active.

Yep. This is true. He’s thinking of ophthalmic  surgery.  Because of a pretty good in for partnership here.  Timing works for some current partners retiring etc. the fear is some sort of universal healthcare.  Would basically bankrupt a kid with that much student debt. On the other hand. Most of these partners I speak of paid there’s off in 5 years after being fully vested. One of the highest paying speciality's there is. So it’s a gamble.  I guess everything is.  

I have no doubt he will be ok either way , because  he has the tools to sell himself to anyone.  Ugh.  I never let him see me worry about this. I could never tell him how crucial I think the age of 18-25 is for the next  20 years of life.  

• Like 2

Callaway mavrik max 8* mmt 70 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Ping Glide forged 53 59 AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Father  in law said he had a stop like that. Box plant in Knoxville.  He’d book it up there. The guards would let him in.  He’d back in.  And go to sleep. The forklift guy would wake him up with the horn when he was unloaded.  Apparently this was way better than being  there after they opened and being in line to get unloaded. 

driving a truck has to be one of the most involved ,but least celebrated jobs on earth. So many skills required to be good at it.  .  

Like any other profession you get better with age. You learn where and what places to load out of and take stuff too. Most freight haulers who ran Chicago in those days kept a Cubs schedule. This was before the lights went up at Wrigley field. Certain days if the Cubs were playing a day time home game forget it you were not getting unloaded. There was another auto parts distributor deal ( Palantine Auto Parts) I used to haul out of Arrow Remanufacturing in Atlanta. Got in good with those guys. On the day games I pulled inside the fence and went to the game with the guys free of charge. Would go back and sleep until the next morning and get unloaded. Wrigley field was about 6 blocks from there. That outfit had an old school bus painted up in Cubs colors with their company decals on it.

LOL those guys nicknamed me hillbilly. Now they had some questionable labor. One time I was there about noon or so all of a sudden red lights started flashing and people started running. The INS had came in and people ran. I ended up on a forklift and unloaded my truck. I was planning to stay the next day anyhow because of the game. I ended up unloading several other trucks that day. The owner came by and thanked me and gave me $500 cash. Come to find out in the span of 8 hours I had unloaded 20 trucks including my own. 

• Haha 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

Irons 5 thru 9 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

PW-- 1962 Macgregor FC-400 11 iron Pro Pel 2 shaft

SW -- Callaway Mac Daddy 52* 

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Ping Zing 2 SS Fluted Bulls Eye shaft

Down to only 11 clubs playing the best since my accident

Posted (edited)

i don’t think anything in healthcare will be a bad choice, except pharmacy and radiology.

80% of pharmacist are considering alternatives. automation and data bases will reduce their demand, except in compound pharmacy.

radiology is well on its way to automation now.

i forgot to add that i likely don’t know what the hell i'm talking about

good, old dt is way smarter than all of us put together about it.

Edited by Soloman1
  • Like 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

3 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

things i didn’t know.

the term “genuine leather” on something doesn’t mean it’s real and not artificial. it’s the grade of leather and genuine is down near the bottom. like below choice in meat, which is pretty bad.

”look, this handbag is genuine leather!”

____

from the more bs category:

amazon go stores, the cashierless shopping thing that you walk in, shop and leave. i think there are about 70 stores using it.

there is no cashier, but there are 1,000 people in india watching every move you make, everything in your bag and if you’re removing the tags before putting it your (genuine leather) bag, they make sure it’s on your bill.

they sold their magic “technology” to others without them knowing the magic was in rooms full of people on the other side of the planet.

____

i’m considering an epic rant on the false promises of ai, ai washing and the stock/valuation manipulation bubble…

image.jpeg.30efc432d81df6483aa9bd7b0e1cacbe.jpeg

For me these days that meter pegs out between -20 and -10. I do not go around like a grumpy old fart but as sorry as people are these days it does not take much

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

It’s perilous trying to give a kid advice today.  The advice I wish I had , isn’t applicable now.  So I don’t benefit from mistakes as much.  My mistakes have mostly turned into happy accidents.  As degrees become worthless ,because  they offer no experience - and experience becomes the only thing of value.  Weird thing to not know what to do.  If I don’t know. How on earth is he supposed to know. 

Considering this society pays its entertainers way more than people who save lives, I’d say at bare minimum have entertaining people as a skill.  No matter what career he goes into.  Ever since antiquity people love storytellers and people who can get a group of people to listen or follow them.  Not saying he should be a movie actor or comedian, but in any field make people feel at ease and cared for or share a laugh with them.  How many of us had doctors that gave us a two minute visit we paid good money for but it was like fast food drive-thru.  I know it’s due to managed care but at least leave a good impression on the customer even if time is short.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lamkin Crossline - my favorite golf product ever

UW Huskies

26 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I could never tell him how crucial I think the age of 18-25 is for the next  20 years of life.  

Going through this with youngest (20), smart, able kid but wandering about aspirations. He's bit his dad at that age, he needs new mistakes of own to make.

Have three, goal has been to see themselves as captains of their own ship, self-possessed enough to stay aware and align their day to day to the longest of terms, decades out. Good decisions early in life pay dividends. Their progress seems okay but who knows. I'll never stop worrying for them or myself or wife, the few times i have, paid dearly, lol.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

That’s begs the question.  If you had a 16 year old who’s smart enough to do anything , which way do you point him? .  Understanding of course that free will will do what it do. 

last check had him planning to be a surgeon. Which I’m certain he gravitates toward because he’s been around a surgeons practice since birth.  But that requires admission to programs. So some politics and chance.  And is risky depending on what medical regulations  do before 2035 which is about when  he’d be able to buy into a private practice. It looks more and more risky by the day.  Nobody wants to go to school for 10-11 years and make $50k a year.  Which by then will be below the poverty line. 🤣

If he has the academic capability to become an MD and Surgeon, at that elite level, it’s an admirable calling and he will be well rewarded. 

I have a few relatives and friends who are doctors, they are all very successful, well besides one lol, because they are sharp and communicate well on a busyness level. 

One of the most wildly successful gals I know actually studied finance and politics and…ended up selling tech consulting services with a tiny company and then

joined a company as like employee #30 that ended up exploding into a global powerhouse and a ridiculous IPO that must have easily made her many 10s of millions 💰 

In her case, getting into “sales” was so successful because she is tech savvy but loves to help people solve problems and builds trust so easily. 

Lots of paths available to those who can find something they have a passion and acumen for. College expends horizons and networks of people, that’s as key as the education itself in many cases. 

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

If he has the academic capability to become an MD and Surgeon, at that elite level, it’s an admirable calling and he will be well rewarded. 

I have a few relatives and friends who are doctors, they are all very successful, well besides one lol, because they are sharp and communicate well on a busyness level. 

One of the most wildly successful gals I know actually studied finance and politics and…ended up selling tech consulting services with a tiny company and then

joined a company as like employee #30 that ended up exploding into a global powerhouse and a ridiculous IPO that must have easily made her many 10s of millions 💰 

In her case, getting into “sales” was so successful because she is tech savvy but loves to help people solve problems and builds trust so easily. 

Lots of paths available to those who can find something they have a passion and acumen for. College expends horizons and networks of people, that’s as key as the education itself in many cases. 

I’m not exaggerating when I say he could do anything.  I’ve seen how the sausage is made , and he has a head start on anybody I can name who’s well respected now in that field.  He hasn’t made a B in school since the obtuse teacher who taught him algebra 2 honors class.  She said to him and me “ in my class a B is an A …. Nobody gets an A”. We were before her to find out what he could do better , or to pull his grade up.  As he was unhappy.   Without a smile or hesitation he said “ doesn’t that mean my B is an A , that you’ve labeled less than for unknown reasons “. I almost shat myself right there.  She was not amused.  But she did tell him that only 2 folks in the class had a higher average.  That he was doing great work. Tp not worry about it.  He still gets mad if you bring her up.   He just finished calculus with a different teacher , and I never heard a peep out of him for help. That’s 10th grade.  Makes my school years look like playing in the dirt.  

He’s taking an AP biology  lab at USC Spartanburg campus next year , supposedly will get credits that will travel.  and a geometry and trig class or classes. I can’t remember.  also at the university.  He’s finished all the math his high school offers.  

• Like 3

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, mshills said:

I don’t agree at all that a degree is worthless. Education has value for its own sake, and education is very different than job training. 

Totally agree.  I've always told my kid and others that 4 years of college will help you have an open mind, a world view of things, an appreciation of things you might not have studied otherwise... in my case the arts, astronomy and philosophy.  An education will lead you to being resourceful and knowing how to learn new things.  There are certain "understandings" that will come with an education, and I maintain they can lead you to a happier life.  Just my 2 cents worth... 3 cents with inflation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

52 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Good points all. Son #1 is bright. His academic record is not very good, so his path is going to be quite different than mine and at a certain point, that becomes OK. There is no programmatic “this plus this then you do this and go here and do this and then voila, SUCCESS!” I have taught him right from wrong. He treats his fellow humans well. He is kind to animals. He knows who his King is. And I trust him….so my job isn’t done, but it’s not a paint-by-numbers template either. 

He is passionate about food and is very talented, so I want him to go to culinary school. He is concerned about the lifestyle, particularly early on, so we’ve talked about that. I told him look, EVERY CAREER SUCKS early on. That’s just how it is. As long as he does not get pulled into the perpetually partying lifestyle of some Manhattan line cooks (I do not think he will), he will be just fine, and that’s far from the only path anyhow if he wants to cook for a living. 

• Like 4

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

Ping G430 Max HL 9W….+2”

PXG 0211 hybrids, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

Cleveland Smart Sole GW, SW

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

1 minute ago, mshills said:

Good points all. Son #1 is bright. His academic record is not very good, so his path is going to be quite different than mine and at a certain point, that becomes OK. There is no programmatic “this plus this then you do this and go here and do this and then voila, SUCCESS!” I have taught him right from wrong. He treats his fellow humans well. He is kind to animals. He knows who his King is. And I trust him….so my job isn’t done, but it’s not a paint-by-numbers template either. 

He is passionate about food and is very talented, so I want him to go to culinary school. He is concerned about the lifestyle, particularly early on, so we’ve talked about that. I told him look, EVERY CAREER SUCKS early on. That’s just how it is. As long as he does not get pulled into the perpetually partying lifestyle of some Manhattan line cooks (I do not think he will), he will be just fine, and that’s far from the only path anyhow if he wants to cook for a living. 

To change the subject or hijack the conversation.

I have been watching what adaptive golf they have been showing on the GC. I really admire those folks and am amazed at the same time. They can play. Now I am a big detractor of the USGA and have voiced that multiple times in the past. But this time the USGA got it right. They had different yardages according to the disabilities. They also moved penalty areas out some to the fairway because some could not get to what would be a playable ball for most of us. I also got enlightened that the fact the carts some have to use (seated division) can go on the greens and not damage them. The one experience I had helping a handicapped veteran was like 20 years ago. I converted an old steel fender EZ=GO golf cart for him. Had a fishing boat seat mounted on the side on a steel plate braced underneath. Now he was not a serious player but enjoyed it. He had a fellow veteran who did not give 2 rips about playing golf ride him around. Of course he liked the beer drinking aspect. We mounted a huge cooler where the passenger would normally sit. When I played golf with him I had to hit all the trap shots and putt out for him. That cart was too heavy for any green or trap. If I was not with them his "driver" would throw it out of the trap for him to hit and would reluctantly putt it out for him on the green. He had a trailer that he hauled the cart on. He left it on the trailer to charge the batteries. I know the local VFW raised money for a set of batteries. He knew his time was short and he told me the fact. He passed in like 07 or so.

Also on the telecast they showed how they came up with the method where some of the players could drive their carts in and out of the sand traps. They did a little thing with Arnold Palmer doing the voice over as to "swing your own swing". Yep they do in how ever they can get the job done. They have all of my admiration and respect in the world.

Never again will I get let down on a bad round because I know I myself am lucky to be playing golf period with my own limbs and so far can walk to my ball in bunkers etc. Yes I have always been a strong proponent of swing your own swing and these folks prove that without a shadow of a doubt.

Yes if you ever need me to work with you give me a shout. If you know any Adaptive golfers in my area that need help give me a shout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, mshills said:

Thats cool, yes, I think many restaurants are more professional these days, lots of money at stake. I imagine the culture starts with the chef that runs the place. 

So many restaurants and catering halls are owned by corporations/have legit management structures these days that I imagine there are many that demand a professional work environment. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I have been watching what adaptive golf they have been showing on the GC. I really admire those folks and am amazed at the same time. They can play. Now I am a big detractor of the USGA and have voiced that multiple times in the past. But this time the USGA got it right. They had different yardages according to the disabilities. They also moved penalty areas out some to the fairway because some could not get to what would be a playable ball for most of us. I also got enlightened that the fact the carts some have to use (seated division) can go on the greens and not damage them. The one experience I had helping a handicapped veteran was like 20 years ago. I converted an old steel fender EZ=GO golf cart for him. Had a fishing boat seat mounted on the side on a steel plate braced underneath. Now he was not a serious player but enjoyed it. He had a fellow veteran who did not give 2 rips about playing golf ride him around. Of course he liked the beer drinking aspect. We mounted a huge cooler where the passenger would normally sit. When I played golf with him I had to hit all the trap shots and putt out for him. That cart was too heavy for any green or trap. If I was not with them his "driver" would throw it out of the trap for him to hit and would reluctantly putt it out for him on the green. He had a trailer that he hauled the cart on. He left it on the trailer to charge the batteries. I know the local VFW raised money for a set of batteries. He knew his time was short and he told me the fact. He passed in like 07 or so.

Also on the telecast they showed how they came up with the method where some of the players could drive their carts in and out of the sand traps. They did a little thing with Arnold Palmer doing the voice over as to "swing your own swing". Yep they do in how ever they can get the job done. They have all of my admiration and respect in the world.

Never again will I get let down on a bad round because I know I myself am lucky to be playing golf period with my own limbs and so far can walk to my ball in bunkers etc. Yes I have always been a strong proponent of swing your own swing and these folks prove that without a shadow of a doubt.

Yes if you ever need me to work with you give me a shout. If you know any Adaptive golfers in my area that need help give me a shout.

@BIG STU you are awesome man thanks!

Ive been working my butt off so I can be out of office for our member guest starting Thursday, so I haven’t seen any of the GC coverage. 

Like you, I’ve been severely critical of the USGA, but recently I’m changing my tune. The US Open site selection and course setups have been fantastic. The way the sectional qualifier was run for the Adaptive Open was awesome. I did not play well but I did not get food poisoning and I cannot wait to come back next year more prepared. The USGA is being progressive and innovative and leading from the front on adaptive golf. It’s awesome. 

The better players I observed were single or dual lower limb amputees with prosthetics. Some of those guys are flat out ballers. There is also a young girl named Sophia Howard. She’s probably 16 give or take and looks somewhat younger. She plays with one arm too and can PLAY. She warmed up next to me on the range and we traded several “helluva shots.” (My game did not come unglued until #3….) The seated players all have these custom made carts with big tires and seats that elevate the player for a full shot. The one thing about the seated player is play can take a while. One putt does not find the jar and it can take several minutes to position the cart for the next putt. 

I was asked to enter the Ohio Adaptive Open in August but I cannot make that one. I have entered the Philly Golf a**’n adaptive open in October but won’t know for a bit if my entry is accepted. I hope it is, the event is held at two awesome clubs I’d not ever have access to other than through the event. 

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max HL 9W….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

Reading all this I have to say, kids is kids, but I wanted both my kids to go to college.  I didn't care what they majored in, just so long as it interested them.  Schooling is nothing but learning some stuff they will more than likely forget, but what they will learn is time management, living peacefully with those they like (and dislike), make a few connections, and then taking all they have learned about the human condition which prepares them for life.

Years ago when I was getting my M.Ed there was a book I was reading about the benefits of private education v public education.  The difference as it turns out is the connections the kids make with the other kids and the avenues to working in more lucrative lines of work because their friends parents tend to be wealthier.  It had nothing to do with the education itself.  2+2=4 whether you do it in Harvard Square of Spartanburg Community College.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, RoverTiger said:

Firmly agree, but I'm biased.

I got three degrees in my time at Auburn: bachelor's degrees in German and RTVF (Radio, TV and Film) and a master's in Communication. I'll readily admit that some of the job prospects I had in mind in those days didn't materialize according to plan (film industry, video production, sports broadcasting, etc.), but the degrees have come in useful to various extents along the way. Even if all of the financial gains weren't realized, the cultivation of problem solving and critical thinking skills is extremely paramount...especially these days.

Of the three though, I especially value my German degree on a personal level. I didn't have to get it and German could have just remained a minor, but it was something I really found a groove in. Even now, about 95% of my leisurely reading is in German and I do my daily journaling in the language. Keeps the mind fresh.

That’s awesome. It must be cool to be able to actually be so fluent you can think in another language. Language is such a reflection of the innate psychology of a culture and its history. 

One of my favorite books is The Secret History. In it, the author, through the protagonist, brilliantly explains how language marks such great distinctions in cultures and how they collectively think by how different languages/cultures perceive and express the concept of “fire”

“The value of Greek prose composition, he said, was not that it gave one any particular facility in the language that could not be gained as easily by other methods but that if done properly, off the top of one's head, it taught one to think in Greek.

One's thought patterns become different, he said, when forced into the confines of a rigid and unfamiliar tongue. Certain common ideas become inexpressible; other, previously undreamt-of ones spring to life, finding miraculous new articulation. By necessity, I suppose, it is difficult for me to explain in English exactly what I mean. I can only say that an incendium is in its nature entirely different from the feu with which a Frenchman lights his cigarette, and both are very different from the stark, inhuman pur that the Greeks knew, the pur that roared from the towers of Ilion or leapt and screamed on that desolate, windy beach, from the funeral pyre of Patroklos. 

Pur: that one word contains for me the secret, the bright, terrible clarity of ancient Greek. How can I make you see it, this strange harsh light which pervades Homer's landscapes and illumines the dialogues of Plato, an alien light, inarticulable in our common tongue? Our shared language is a language of the intricate, the peculiar, the home of pumpkins and ragamuffins and bodkins and beer, the tongue of Ahab and Falstaff and Mrs. Gamp; and while I find it entirely suitable for reflections such as these, it fails me utterly when I attempt to describe in it what I love about Greek, that language innocent of all quirks and cranks; a language obsessed with action, and with the joy of seeing action multiply from action, action marching relentlessly ahead and with yet more actions filing in from either side to fall into neat step at the rear, in a long straight rank of cause and effect toward what will be inevitable, the only possible end”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mshills said:

@BIG STU you are awesome man thanks!

Ive been working my butt off so I can be out of office for our member guest starting Thursday, so I haven’t seen any of the GC coverage. 

Like you, I’ve been severely critical of the USGA, but recently I’m changing my tune. The US Open site selection and course setups have been fantastic. The way the sectional qualifier was run for the Adaptive Open was awesome. I did not play well but I did not get food poisoning and I cannot wait to come back next year more prepared. The USGA is being progressive and innovative and leading from the front on adaptive golf. It’s awesome. 

The better players I observed were single or dual lower limb amputees with prosthetics. Some of those guys are flat out ballers. There is also a young girl named Sophia Howard. She’s probably 16 give or take and looks somewhat younger. She plays with one arm too and can PLAY. She warmed up next to me on the range and we traded several “helluva shots.” (My game did not come unglued until #3….) The seated players all have these custom made carts with big tires and seats that elevate the player for a full shot. The one thing about the seated player is play can take a while. One putt does not find the jar and it can take several minutes to position the cart for the next putt. 

I was asked to enter the Ohio Adaptive Open in August but I cannot make that one. I have entered the Philly Golf a**’n adaptive open in October but won’t know for a bit if my entry is accepted. I hope it is, the event is held at two awesome clubs I’d not ever have access to other than through the event. 

I got the food poisoning thing too. LOL yep he was the one who led the flame charge on me quoting Mr. Palmer. Hey man go for it any way you can and have the opportunity to do so

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RoverTiger said:

Firmly agree, but I'm biased.

I got three degrees in my time at Auburn: bachelor's degrees in German and RTVF (Radio, TV and Film) and a master's in Communication. I'll readily admit that some of the job prospects I had in mind in those days didn't materialize according to plan (film industry, video production, sports broadcasting, etc.), but the degrees have come in useful to various extents along the way. Even if all of the financial gains weren't realized, the cultivation of problem solving and critical thinking skills is extremely paramount...especially these days.

Of the three though, I especially value my German degree on a personal level. I didn't have to get it and German could have just remained a minor, but it was something I really found a groove in. Even now, about 95% of my leisurely reading is in German and I do my daily journaling in the language. Keeps the mind fresh.

A thing I've not really done but really want to is learn another language. I took a few years of Spanish in high school and then living in LA for so long; I can do OK with it. When me and the ex did our first (and last 😂) anniversary trip to Costa Rica; after a day or two I was pretty capable of carrying on conversation. But wouldn't consider myself fluent at all. 

Mrs. ae speaks fluent Spanish and French. It's pretty babely haha

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB, Vokey 50.8°F LA GOLF L Series 

56.14°F, 60.04°T LA GOLF WV

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P

8 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I got the food poisoning thing too. LOL yep he was the one who led the flame charge on me quoting Mr. Palmer. Hey man go for it any way you can and have the opportunity to do so

IMG_1235_Original.jpeg.891f3bd0607dbee05e478306458aa8a7.jpeg

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max HL 9W….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

Just now, mshills said:

IMG_1235_Original.jpeg.891f3bd0607dbee05e478306458aa8a7.jpeg

Absolutely--- Or as I say go WFO the best you can with maximum effort

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, aenemated said:

A thing I've not really done but really want to is learn another language. I took a few years of Spanish in high school and then living in LA for so long; I can do OK with it. When me and the ex did our first (and last 😂) anniversary trip to Costa Rica; after a day or two I was pretty capable of carrying on conversation. But wouldn't consider myself fluent at all. 

I know some Spanish. I can pick out stuff but cannot conjugate verbs and that crap. I learned some being around the guys when I was a mechanic at the Concrete Company. I learned quite a bit at the Scrap Yard. Our crane operator was born in Mexico and is legal here. He married a lady who is an English teacher here. He is fluent in both. He was the one who told me about conjugating the verbs etc. I told him I was born and raised in the USA and can barely properly do that in American.

I have another good friend who is Mexican American again legal who is fluent in both. He owns a successful concrete finishing business. I was on a job one day with a broken-down mixer. Now these Hispanic guys were jabbering away. I asked him what were they saying? He told me he had no more idea than I did that they were from Guatemala. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I know some Spanish. I can pick out stuff but cannot conjugate verbs and that crap. I learned some being around the guys when I was a mechanic at the Concrete Company. I learned quite a bit at the Scrap Yard. Our crane operator was born in Mexico and is legal here. He married a lady who is an English teacher here. He is fluent in both. He was the one who told me about conjugating the verbs etc. I told him I was born and raised in the USA and can barely properly do that in American.

I have another good friend who is Mexican American again legal who is fluent in both. He owns a successful concrete finishing business. I was on a job one day with a broken-down mixer. Now these Hispanic guys were jabbering away. I asked him what were they saying? He told me he had no more idea than I did that they were from Guatemala. 

My wife (fluent in Spanish) feels the same way about trying to understand Cubans.

• Like 2

A bag off the beaten path:

Driver: Turner H7 at 12 degrees, 43.5"

5W: Turner H7

3UI: Adams Pro DHy

Irons: (5-PW): Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blades

Wedges: (52, 56, 60): Ram Pro Spin

Putter: Inazone Niveus

In the bullpen:  3H: System Golf Icon Plus (purchased used), 
3W: Adams Speedline F11 (purchased used), 4UI: Turner 239

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

That’s awesome. It must be cool to be able to actually be so fluent you can think in another language. Language is such a reflection of the innate psychology of a culture and its history. 

One of my favorite books is The Secret History. In it, the author, through the protagonist, brilliantly explains how language marks such great distinctions in cultures and how they collectively think by how different languages/cultures perceive and express the concept of “fire”

“The value of Greek prose composition, he said, was not that it gave one any particular facility in the language that could not be gained as easily by other methods but that if done properly, off the top of one's head, it taught one to think in Greek.

One's thought patterns become different, he said, when forced into the confines of a rigid and unfamiliar tongue. Certain common ideas become inexpressible; other, previously undreamt-of ones spring to life, finding miraculous new articulation. By necessity, I suppose, it is difficult for me to explain in English exactly what I mean. I can only say that an incendium is in its nature entirely different from the feu with which a Frenchman lights his cigarette, and both are very different from the stark, inhuman pur that the Greeks knew, the pur that roared from the towers of Ilion or leapt and screamed on that desolate, windy beach, from the funeral pyre of Patroklos. 

Pur: that one word contains for me the secret, the bright, terrible clarity of ancient Greek. How can I make you see it, this strange harsh light which pervades Homer's landscapes and illumines the dialogues of Plato, an alien light, inarticulable in our common tongue? Our shared language is a language of the intricate, the peculiar, the home of pumpkins and ragamuffins and bodkins and beer, the tongue of Ahab and Falstaff and Mrs. Gamp; and while I find it entirely suitable for reflections such as these, it fails me utterly when I attempt to describe in it what I love about Greek, that language innocent of all quirks and cranks; a language obsessed with action, and with the joy of seeing action multiply from action, action marching relentlessly ahead and with yet more actions filing in from either side to fall into neat step at the rear, in a long straight rank of cause and effect toward what will be inevitable, the only possible end”

Man, sometimes the thinking in German pops up when I'm speaking English. There are legitimately a few times a day when I have to pause a split second when talking because the German word for something comes to mind first before its English counterpart. Thankfully I tend to catch it before someone thinks I'm suddenly speaking in tongues. 😂

I think there is definitely something to how different languages affect or are seemingly more applicable to certain thought pattern. To that point (and very subjectively speaking), I find that German tends to lend itself to deeper, more profound expression of emotion than English. Maybe that's why I use it for my journaling beyond mere continued practice.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, aenemated said:

That's really cool that you noticed that kind of improvement in your Spanish after a couple days. More proof that immersion is such a powerful tool in learning a language.

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Agree. I was just sitting here watching myself. And I thought “ boy I’m glad I haven’t whined about my driver woes anymore “.  I have all my digits. Two calves like Adonis ( Phil joke🤣) and two eyes .  What I need to lose is excuses.    

the guy with no legs , one half of a hand.  And what’s left of a hand taped to a club shot 72 today.  And he wasn’t thrilled.  Imagine his talent level if he had all his faculty’s.  The world is full of good players.  Amazing to see. And very humbling.  

• Like 4

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

@mshills... Just drove back from my afternoon cocktail at the Black Cat.  Caught a story on NPR on my radio about the guy who won last year's US Adaptive Open. Max was his name.  Very inspiring. He was in a ski accident in Idaho and is paralyzed from the waist down. He actually shot a record-setting 70 last year in that event. Got to hear him speak in the story, what a guy! And now, he has plans to go back to the same ski resort in Idaho and ski next winter.

• Like 3

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down