The 2016 Open Championship Discussion Thread

PZero

Wherever there's a mrt99 there's an argument

True. And that's because on the increasingly rare occasions I'm posting I'm bringing something that is usually sorely lacking in discussions here...facts.

I don't want to be unnecessarily difficult but I'm seeing lots of opinions but not many facts.

He says 2 tee starts can be done at somewhere like Troon, despite almost certainly not having been there on a Championship day, consulted the R&A, spoke to the players, so in the absence of the R&A and both players and officials considerations, we simply must accept it as true. Lol.

Yup, that's exactly what I said...

Is it any wonder that the overwhelming majority of quality posters who used to post here have abandoned this place?

Enlighten us then. Where are these "facts" that you talk of?

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. And that's because on the increasingly rare occasions I'm posting I'm bringing something that is usually sorely lacking in discussions here...facts.

I don't want to be unnecessarily difficult but I'm seeing lots of opinions but not many facts.

That's the "new normal", be it politics, sports, or what have you. Don't confuse the narrative with facts...it offends people and they will call you names.

Guys to give some perspective I was marshalling the 17th today and anyone still on the course after 10.45am got hit with the weather....believe me when I say that it didn't get any better or worse, it was horrible from then until close of play. I've watched the highlights and can see what was being portrayed on TV but the harsh reality is that the young guns ain't as well equipped to play in that kind of weather where you can't hit the ball into orbit and play into soft greens.

The first group left the 17th green at about 10.50am to give you an idea of where everyone would have been at with regards to the weather coming in.

Also quite amusing as we often play in weather like that and joke about 'how the pros would get on in this'. Not very well would be the answer!

That 17th can be a real brute. I've taken an 8 Iron off that tee, yet a 3 wood on another occasion. Some people just don't get it and will not accept that it's all part of the game over here and you take it and embrace it regardless.

I once played in an Amateur Tournament at North Berwick some years ago, and the wind was blowing pretty bad in our faces on the front 9, but I said to my playing opponent, 'well at least we'll have it easy on the back 9. I shot +4 on the front 9. Then the wind changed 180* just as we were finishing the 8th hole, and the wind was in our faces coming back too! Lol. But I still shot -3 on the back 9, and never stood on the 9th tee and thought to myself 'wow' those lucky b******s stood on the 1st tee getting the best of the wind'!! Ridiculous to think like that. Man up and get on with it.

Are you Marshalling tomorrow?

Re. The 17th - yes very, very tough. I was on Monday night for practice and (into a fairly strong breeze) there were only 2 players who even reached the green (!!), that was from a 4hr shift so they full well knew what to expect when the wind got up.

Changes of wind - just the beauty of links golf in Scotland. It's only the 145th Open though so I'm surprised at how it's suddenly unfair!

I'm on the 17th green tomorrow (Saturday) 10.30 to 14.30 and the 17th tee Sunday 14.30 until finish time - playoff holes are 1/2/17/18 so we have to sit tight should it be required.

If weather has become such an issue in this, the sixth century of golf, I have two suggestions:

1) Have manufacturers produce golf balls that are designed to be less impacted by both wind and weather.

2) Increase the limitations on the face of the club so that ball speed is much faster than the wind speed.

Problem solved ;-)

Guys to give some perspective I was marshalling the 17th today and anyone still on the course after 10.45am got hit with the weather....believe me when I say that it didn't get any better or worse, it was horrible from then until close of play. I've watched the highlights and can see what was being portrayed on TV but the harsh reality is that the young guns ain't as well equipped to play in that kind of weather where you can't hit the ball into orbit and play into soft greens.

The first group left the 17th green at about 10.50am to give you an idea of where everyone would have been at with regards to the weather coming in.

Also quite amusing as we often play in weather like that and joke about 'how the pros would get on in this'. Not very well would be the answer!

That 17th can be a real brute. I've taken an 8 Iron off that tee, yet a 3 wood on another occasion. Some people just don't get it and will not accept that it's all part of the game over here and you take it and embrace it regardless.

I once played in an Amateur Tournament at North Berwick some years ago, and the wind was blowing pretty bad in our faces on the front 9, but I said to my playing opponent, 'well at least we'll have it easy on the back 9. I shot +4 on the front 9. Then the wind changed 180* just as we were finishing the 8th hole, and the wind was in our faces coming back too! Lol. But I still shot -3 on the back 9, and never stood on the 9th tee and thought to myself 'wow' those lucky b******s stood on the 1st tee getting the best of the wind'!! Ridiculous to think like that. Man up and get on with it.

Re. The 17th - yes very, very tough. I was on Monday night for practice and (into a fairly strong breeze) there were only 2 players who even reached the green (!!), that was from a 4hr shift so they full well knew what to expect when the wind got up.

Changes of wind - just the beauty of links golf in Scotland. It's only the 145th Open though so I'm surprised at how it's suddenly unfair!

I'm on the 17th green tomorrow (Saturday) 10.30 to 14.30 and the 17th tee Sunday 14.30 until finish time - playoff holes are 1/2/17/18 so we have to sit tight should it be required.

You guys are doing an awesome job, I was there on Monday and I may or may not have come across you Colin but without fail, the Marshalls were polite and helpful. I think I got a hello and a how are you from everyone that I encountered.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

3) make golf an indoor sport

4) ban it

5) ban golf fans from whining about the weather

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

6) Get really good at golf.

7) Qualify for The Open

8) Win The Open...now people will actually know who you are and may even care about your opinion.

9) Use your newfound pulpit to demand change to the atrocious misappropriations all those before you were forced to endure. Done.

Of course, you better be on the right side of the draw or this plan is a non-starter.

I'm enjoying Spite's quote from an article in Golf Digest - "Kind of shook it off to an extent at the end of the round. Just tried to smile, tried to enjoy the fact that you don’t play in this often. You wish your score didn’t matter…that it was just a round with your buddies where you go into the clubhouse and have one or seven pints afterwards.”

Sounds like he has picked up on certain Scottish traits and he has only been here a week or so.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

He says 2 tee starts can be done at somewhere like Troon, despite almost certainly not having been there on a Championship day, consulted the R&A, spoke to the players, so in the absence of the R&A and both players and officials considerations, we simply must accept it as true. Lol.

Yup, that's exactly what I said...

Is it any wonder that the overwhelming majority of quality posters who used to post here have abandoned this place?

We are all (including you) just keyboard warriors. Some (like you) come on here just to be obtuse, with half baked ideas that haven't been thought through, with absolutely no idea of Tournament logistics and who have never even been to these Open Championship Links on Championship days, and with absolutely no substance to their arguments. If those are the types that are leaving this place, then good riddance to bad rubbish I say.

Rory blaming the draw again. Yawn. I think Phil and Stenson could falter. A nice 67 or so from those 3-4 under and it's game on for them. 11-12 under to win on Sunday. I like Haas or Garcia to come through to challenge.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

Awesome. I can't get up there unfortunately as we have some Swedish Media guys renting our house in Prestwick for the week. But you guys are doing a great job. I just hope you get the time to enjoy the occasion.

Rory blaming the draw again. Yawn.

Not a Rory fan then carn9698?

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

with absolutely no idea of Tournament logistics and who have never even been to these Open Championship Links on Championship days.

Ah, but 1) I do and 2) I have, on multiple occasions...

And with that I'll let you have the last word (which undoubtedly will be a nonsensical rant that will have little to do with the substance of anything I've actually written here).

Rory blaming the draw again. Yawn. I think Phil and Stenson could falter. A nice 67 or so from those 3-4 under and it's game on for them. 11-12 under to win on Sunday. I like Haas or Garcia to come through to challenge.

I wouldn't count on a good weekend from Haas. 27 starts in majors with 0 top tens. But who knows, maybe this is his week...

Rory didn't play the best golf (he hasn't played badly really either), but he did get the BF on the draw - he is correct there.

NO ONE from the early/late is going to win this, or likely even contend. That's just the way it is. He caught the good side of the draw in 2014 (and won).

The first half of the draw was a combined 175 over par. The latter half was 362 over.

Rory didn't play the best golf (he hasn't played badly really either), but he did get the BF on the draw - he is correct there.

NO ONE from the early/late is going to win this, or likely even contend. That's just the way it is. He caught the good side of the draw in 2014 (and won).

Yup, that was also the year they went off the 1st and 10th on Saturday to beat a bad storm. If I recall correctly, Adam Scott caught the bad side of the draw that week and was the winner of the "B flight".

Yup, that was also the year they went off the 1st and 10th on Saturday to beat a bad storm. If I recall correctly, Adam Scott caught the bad side of the draw that week and was the winner of the "B flight".

What? You mean golf (life) isn't fair? Didn't know Rory was a snowflake.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Really fired up for this weekend. It's thrilling to see the great Phil Mickelson with such a wonderful opportunity.

Phil has looked rock solid so far, and I have been impressed that he has stuck to the strategy of hitting irons off most tees, and putting a priority on keeping the ball in play and avoiding the bunkers.

If Phil can stay patient, play smartly, and take what the course/conditions give him, he will be tough to beat. It's going to be fun to watch.

I've just realized I haven't heard single "get in the hole!" or "mashed potatoes!!" in over 15 hours of coverage.

Really nice to (not) hear.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

The first half of the draw was a combined 175 over par. The latter half was 362 over.

So, if the wind picks up in the afternoon today, that's going to even things up. Let's hope it does.

with absolutely no idea of Tournament logistics and who have never even been to these Open Championship Links on Championship days.

Ah, but 1) I do and 2) I have, on multiple occasions...

And with that I'll let you have the last word (which undoubtedly will be a nonsensical rant that will have little to do with the substance of anything I've actually written here).

If you really had any experience of these things as you say you have, you wouldn't be saying such immature things. You can't prove what you say, you can't come up with any facts, you can't come up with a plan on how it would be done logistically without effecting the fabric of the Championship. Have you actually thought about the spectators and fans who have paid good money for a 12 hour day to see their golfing heroes, who are now being told that they now only get 6 hours a day and who can't be in 2 places at once! Or the buses and trains that have to Ferry 30-40,000 backwards and forwards over a 12 hour period who are now told that they have to do it all in 6 hours!! Or the players of which, twice as many are now trying to get onto the practice range at the same time. Or indeed the TV companies who pay a pretty penny for at least 12 hours of coverage,who are now being told that they only get 6 hours of coverage! Lol. Sorry but you haven't thought this through. This is the 21st century where both logistics and $$$ have to be taken into consideration, and in the absence of you being able to offer any kind of definitive plan to answer all these points your opinions are of no relevance to me, this thread, or a Championship committee who have been running the Championship for 160 years, and you bring nothing to the thread other than anecdotal nonsense and quite frankly, BS. .

Now that's a rant!! Get over it.

Today I find myself fighting demons. I normally hide it quite well, and support with subtlety, but in reality I'm a massive Sir Phil fanboy. However, in a moment of quiet reflection I found myself thinking that I might actually prefer to see King Henrik win this thing.

PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Highlight of the day (so far) award must go to Sarah Stirk's boobs. That dress makes them look absolutely mahoosive!

PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Highlight of the day (so far) award must go to Sarah Stirk's boobs. That dress makes them look absolutely mahoosive!

You know the drill Mark, pictures or didn't happen.

PING G400 MAX, Tour AD-DI
PING G400 SFT 3W, Tour AD-DI
PING G400 7W, Tour AD-BB
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW, Modus 120
Mizuno T-20 52, 56, 60, DG Tour Isssue
TM Spider CS
Titleist Pro V1x

How many players yesterday were carrying clubs that suited the conditions ? I'm thinking the skinny blade 1-iron to keep the ball low would have been a huge help to most I watched on Sky TV ...

I think I only saw one 'proper' Links shot on the Sky coverage ... the Zach Johnson 5-wood where he ran it about 80 yards along the ground up onto the green. I have no idea why the modern players don't try a bit more of that ? Seems blindingly obvious that in those conditions you try and keep the ball really low so it is less affected by the wind. A half swing 5-iron from 100 yards and stuff like that, which never goes higher than 6 feet off the deck. The old hickory clubs had 5 degree loft drivers for conditions like this :)

McGinley reckoned the draw factor was worth 5 shots over the first two rounds. Possibly so, but I think some players just simply played better, and Mickelson just holed everything in round 1. Holing putts has always been the biggest factor in "score".

Incidentally, for all the talk of the late starters being disadvantaged, there is the flip side that says they have several hours of TV coverage to watch how balls are behaving on greens, pace, line etc. before they go out.

Swings and roundabouts ...

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)