2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Why there can't be a Tiger now

wmblake2000

I can't believe this thread still has traction. This has more responses than all the rest of the threads I have started combined. Note to self: include "Tiger" in thread title about shafts or right elbows or whatever nerd topic I start next. "Since Tiger doesn't play senior flex, should I?"

The secret to success at GolfWRX. :)

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rofl!

Weak fields? Lets look at who just owned the Big 4....

Phil is older than TW and Stenson the same age.

And TW was kicking their butts in their prime.

I would like to see Tiger do what both Stenson and Phil just did at the Open (from here until Tiger hits Phil's age)...he will not ever be able to perform the way Phil just performed at his age.

Tiger's history.

Spieth is the new Tiger...already has beat a couple of Tiger's records (he had a sophomore slump, sure)...

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

Rofl!

I would like to see Tiger do what both Stenson and Phil just did at the Open (from here until Tiger hits Phil's age)...he will not ever be able to perform the way Phil just performed at his age.

Tiger's history.

Spieth is the new Tiger...already has beat a couple of Tiger's records (he had a sophomore slump, sure)...

Rofl!

Tiger's history.

Already choked a major too.

You see TW choke sod with wedges into greens to lose majors in his prime?

; )

Spieth is nowhere near any sort of conversation with respect to TW.

TW is history?

You could be right there. One last run would be nice to see, though.

Rofl!

Tiger's history.

; )

TW is history?

First teenager to win on the PGA Tour in the modern era (Tiger didn't win his first event until he was 20). Youngest player in the modern era to win two majors. Youngest to win two majors in one year.

So yea, he's done a number of things Tiger never did or did them at an earlier age.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Rofl!

Tiger's history.

; )

TW is history?

First teenager to win on the PGA Tour in the modern era (Tiger didn't win his first event until he was 20). Youngest player in the modern era to win two majors. Youngest to win two majors in one year.

So yea, he's done a number of things Tiger never did or did them at an earlier age.

TW turned pro at 20. (Spieth at 19)

When TW turned 22, he had won 6 times in 29 starts.

When Spieth turned 22, he had 5 wins in 69 starts.

TW had 6 majors by age 25.

If Spieth can win 4 more by 2018, he keeps pace. Just 2 next year and 2 more the following year.

And if Spieth can win 21 more PGA tornament in 2 years, he keeps pace with TW. Just 11 next year and 10 the following ; )

Be great to see it.

Spieth won his second major by age 21. Tiger, Jack and Rory didn't win their second one until they hit age 23. Tiger didn't win his second major until the 99 PGA, after his '97 Masters victory.

22nd birthday

Spieth: 5 wins | 2 majors

Woods: 6 wins | 1 major

23rd birthday

Spieth: 7 wins | 2 majors (and counting)

Woods: 7 wins | 1 major

Again, there have been zero other golfers since World War II who have won seven times before their 23rd birthday. For comparison, Rory McIlroy had three wins.

Spieth's birthday is July 27, also, so he has more than two years to keep pace with Tiger. He almost has three years (he has 11 majors he will play in) to do 6 majors by age 25.

Get your numbers right.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Spieth won his second major by age 21. Tiger, Jack and Rory didn't win their second one until they hit age 23. Tiger didn't win his second major until the 99 PGA, after his '97 Masters victory.

22nd birthday

Spieth: 5 wins | 2 majors

Woods: 6 wins | 1 major

23rd birthday

Spieth: 7 wins | 2 majors (and counting)

Woods: 7 wins | 1 major

Again, there have been zero other golfers since World War II who have won seven times before their 23rd birthday. For comparison, Rory McIlroy had three wins.

Spieth's birthday is July 27, also, so he has more than two years to keep pace with Tiger. He almost has three years (he has 11 majors he will play in) to do 6 majors by age 25.

Get your numbers right.

Fine, Spieth has almost 3 years to match TW at age 25 and to win

21 times on the PGA tour

4 majors. It's not going to happen.

TW was winning PGA tournaments at more than twice Spieths pace at his age. (Tiger with 6 wins in 29 starts, Spieth with 5 wins in 69 starts)

So, neither is going to happen even with his going pro a year earlier than TW.

Spieth does not have the same tools and ability as TW. He has a similar tenacity and ability to focus as TW, but as we saw in the Masters

Spieth is not TW.

TW was winning PGA tournaments at more than twice Spieths pace at his age. (Tiger with 6 wins in 29 starts, Spieth with 5 wins in 69 starts)

Spieth does not have the same tools and ability as TW. He has a similar tenacity and ability to focus as TW, but as we saw in the Masters

Spieth is not TW.

I agree, but you (and others) are cherry picking data. You don't need to cherry pick data to prove that Spieth is not the next TW. The fact is that Spieth's win rate is nowhere near Tiger's when considering his entire career.

Tiger did have some down years. He only won once in 1998 and 2004, and had zero wins in 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015. But Tiger's career win rate is 25.2% and Spieth is at 8.2%. Spieth has a much better chance at being the next Phil than the next Tiger.

Spieth is not TW.

I agree, but you (and others) are cherry picking data. You don't need to cherry pick data to prove that Spieth is not the next TW. The fact is that Spieth's win rate is nowhere near Tiger's when considering his entire career.

Tiger did have some down years. He only won once in 1998 and 2004, and had zero wins in 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015. But Tiger's career win rate is 25.2% and Spieth is at 8.2%. Spieth has a much better chance at being the next Phil than the next Tiger.

LMAO...Spieth has 2 more majors than Phil had...TEN YEARS BEFORE Phil won his first major.

IF we're talking about majors here - and that's what at the end of the day the greatest are judged by, PERIOD - then Spieth is on a better pace than anyone in the history of the game (at least modern era).

Tiger won four in a row 2000-2001, so yeah, Jordan would have to do some crazy s*** to stay at that pace, but Jordan isn't as morally bankrupt as Tiger either, and there is no indication we will see such an epic fall from grace like we did with Tiger with the prostitutes and such.

Tiger didn't win any majors in '98 (his second season), and didn't win his second until the last major of '99 (PGA). So we will see what Jordan does next year...

For people to blatantly exclaim "Spieth isn't even close to the discussion/comparison with Tiger Woods" is ludicrous when the facts (when we're talking about majors) state the opposite.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Spieth is not TW.

LMAO...Spieth has 2 more majors than Phil had...TEN YEARS BEFORE Phil won his first major.

IF we're talking about majors here - and that's what at the end of the day the greatest are judged by, PERIOD - then Spieth is on a better pace than anyone in the history of the game (at least modern era).

Tiger won four in a row 2000-2001, so yeah, Jordan would have to do some crazy s*** to stay at that pace, but Jordan isn't as morally bankrupt as Tiger either, and there is no indication we will see such an epic fall from grace like we did with Tiger with the prostitutes and such.

Tiger didn't win any majors in '98 (his second season), and didn't win his second until the last major of '99 (PGA). So we will see what Jordan does next year...

For people to blatantly exclaim "Spieth isn't even close to the discussion/comparison with Tiger Woods" is ludicrous when the facts (when we're talking about majors) state the opposite.

What the heck kind of argument is that???? There are plenty of golfers who had 2 at a younger age than Phil and aren't nearly as good as he is/was. Winning something early doesn't guarantee anything, nor does it predict future success. He is a very good player, he's not even in the same ballpark as Tiger, I don't even need stats or to "cherry pick" for that, I just use my eyes.

[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra LTD Tensei Pro Blue 70[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Titleist 816H1 17* GD AD HY 85[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Callaway Apex 20* GD AD HY 95[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Nike Vapor Pro 4-pw Recoil 110 proto[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Vokey SM6 50-54-58 Recoil 125 proto[/font][/size][/b]

Spieth is not TW.

I like Spieth and would like nothing more than to see him do what he did last year again. Strong closer who wants to be there in the spotlight on Sunday. Born competitor with the game to back it up.

What may be tough for him is he does not dominate Par 5s like TW, Jack, and Rory. That and having the type of putting from 15-25 feet as he did in 2015.

He is a very good player, he's not even in the same ballpark as Tiger,

LMAO, okay.

He broke the low 36 hole at the Masters and equaled Tiger for low at Augusta in history. He had two majors before Tiger and won two in one season before Tiger.

Not in the same league, LMFAOOO

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Spieth is not TW.

IF we're talking about majors here -

Actually, we aren't. We're talking win rate. Until recently, Phil was at 9%. Spieth is at 8.2%. Both of those are spectacular numbers. Compare to Scott at 5.1%, Furyk at 3.2%, Els at 4.9%.

Spieth's career is too short to make any realistic projections, especially majors. He's won 12.5% of his majors. If you project that over a 25 year career, he would have 12 or 13 majors. Obviously, if he has more years like his 2015 he will blow that away. It will be very exciting to see what he does over the next few years.

Tiger's lowest cumulative win rate was 14% after his third year. His lowest cumulative win rate for majors was 9.1% after 3 years but quickly jumped to about 25% and stayed there for 12 years.

I like Spieth and would like nothing more than to see him do what he did last year again. Strong closer who wants to be there in the spotlight on Sunday. Born competitor with the game to back it up.

What may be tough for him is he does not dominate Par 5s like TW, Jack, and Rory. That and having the type of putting from 15-25 feet as he did in 2015.

Spieth ranks #15 in par 5 scoring and #5 in birdies or better on par 5s this year. Not exactly chopped liver.

Spieth ranks #15 in par 5 scoring and #5 in birdies or better on par 5s this year. Not exactly chopped liver.

Ya, I read he ranks high on par 5 birdies but not eagles.

TW had that edge. Spieth has all the tools and he is not short off the tee but that length is a distinct for TW and Jack if we are talking winning at their level over time

Spieth is not TW.

Actually, we aren't. We're talking win rate. Until recently, Phil was at 9%. Spieth is at 8.2%. Both of those are spectacular numbers. Compare to Scott at 5.1%, Furyk at 3.2%, Els at 4.9%.

Spieth's career is too short to make any realistic projections, especially majors. He's won 12.5% of his majors. If you project that over a 25 year career, he would have 12 or 13 majors. Obviously, if he has more years like his 2015 he will blow that away. It will be very exciting to see what he does over the next few years.

Tiger's lowest cumulative win rate was 14% after his third year. His lowest cumulative win rate for majors was 9.1% after 3 years but quickly jumped to about 25% and stayed there for 12 years.

I don't think anyone is going to get close to Tiger's PGA Tour wins total, but it is worth pointing out that Tiger has played a relatively low number of total events.

Somebody who plays a larger schedule and isn't as fragile could match his win total with a much lower winning percentage.

Tiger has 327 PGA Tour starts, Phil (who is 5.5 years older, but also spent more time in college) has 544. Jordan already has 100. He could have 500 by the time he's Tiger's age, and more than 600 by the time he's Phil's/Jim Furyk's age.

Spieth is not TW.

I am. I'm talking about majors.

I can agree with you that Spieth's career is too young to make certain comparisons; I don't, however, think he's not in the discussion with Woods currently, because he's on pace with him for major victories and has at his young age done things Tiger hadn't.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Spieth is not TW.

I can agree with you that Spieth's career is too young to make certain comparisons; I don't, however, think he's not in the discussion with Woods currently, because he's on pace with him for major victories and has at his young age done things Tiger hadn't.

After the next two seasons we can make a more accurate guess where he's at - if he wins two, three or more majors, or less - then a more acurate assessment can be made.

I just think it's laughable all the Tiger fanboys are so butt hurt I have the audacity to see Spieth's comparable success.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

I would be ecstatic to see Spieth win several more majors before he turns 30.

I would bet the house on it. As I said, we'll have a more comparable outlook after the next year or two.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

I would bet the house on it. As I said, we'll have a more comparable outlook after the next year or two.

So you are betting that he has how many majors by the age of 30?

Driver- Taylormade M2 10.5* set open 3* playing at 9* W/ Hzrdus Black 75X 44"
Fairway Metal- TEE XCG7 13* W/ Matrix Black Tie 7M3 X 42"
Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron W/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course and conditions)
Irons- Tour Issue Mizuno FliHi 3i with Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 465ct X
Ben Hogan PTx irons 23*-47* in 4* increments w/ PX 6.5 painted black
Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set. 50*, 56* bent to 54* and 58* w/ rifle spinner shafts
Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- ProV1X
Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

I'll be able to make a better judgement after his next couple years.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

I'll be able to make a better judgement after his next couple years.

Common man you are the one comparing him to Tiger. I think the kid has some huge huevos and great ability to score but comparing to either the best or top 2 player ever is a bit of a stretch.

Hell everyone wet their pants for Rory a few years ago. To me what he was doing was more impressive at the time than Speith now. And look how he has fallen off. It's just hard to sustain being that good for that long.

Driver- Taylormade M2 10.5* set open 3* playing at 9* W/ Hzrdus Black 75X 44"
Fairway Metal- TEE XCG7 13* W/ Matrix Black Tie 7M3 X 42"
Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron W/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course and conditions)
Irons- Tour Issue Mizuno FliHi 3i with Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 465ct X
Ben Hogan PTx irons 23*-47* in 4* increments w/ PX 6.5 painted black
Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set. 50*, 56* bent to 54* and 58* w/ rifle spinner shafts
Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- ProV1X
Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

Age is a fair comparison rather than starts because Spieth had his formative years on the tour (you can't expect a 19 yo to be winning regularly, although hello Lydia Ko). Whereas Tiger had his formative years playing US Amateurs. Woods had the most Tour-ready game heading into the pro ranks in the last 30/40 years and was ready to contend immediately. People always seem to remove his amateur starts on the PGA Tour from his stats, especially in the MC category.

Common man you are the one comparing him to Tiger. I think the kid has some huge huevos and great ability to score but comparing to either the best or top 2 player ever is a bit of a stretch.

Hell everyone wet their pants for Rory a few years ago. To me what he was doing was more impressive at the time than Speith now. And look how he has fallen off. It's just hard to sustain being that good for that long.

I'm comparing him at his age now to Tiger at the same age.

That is hardly an outrageous thing, since I've already laid out a few records he's set or broken or tied. He's the youngest (and first teenager) in history to win a Tour event (not Jack, or Tiger or Rory). He's broken the low 36 hole at Augusta (not Tiger or Jack or anybody...Spieth). He's equaled the low 72 at Augusta (w/ Tiger). He's the youngest ever to win two majors and the youngest ever to win two majors in one year. Tiger fanboys still butthurt I have the audacity to see pretty obvious parallels in their progression.

Tiger had a big third/fourth season, so therefore it will be a more accurate assessment after Spieth's third/fourth seasons. Spieth is going to be BLAZING to get back his Green Jacket after the one he gave away this year, and I will not be surprised to see him get it back at all...he destroyed the field there in his record tying 2015 year and he will want to prove this year was an aberration. Then we will see what he does in the next 10 majors to keep pace with Tiger.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

I'm comparing him at his age now to Tiger at the same age.

That is hardly an outrageous thing, since I've already laid out a few records he's set or broken or tied. He's the youngest (and first teenager) in history to win a Tour event (not Jack, or Tiger or Rory). He's broken the low 36 hole at Augusta (not Tiger or Jack or anybody...Spieth). He's equaled the low 72 at Augusta (w/ Tiger). He's the youngest ever to win two majors and the youngest ever to win two majors in one year. Tiger fanboys still butthurt I have the audacity to see pretty obvious parallels in their progression.

Tiger had a big third/fourth season, so therefore it will be a more accurate assessment after Spieth's third/fourth seasons. Spieth is going to be BLAZING to get back his Green Jacket after the one he gave away this year, and I will not be surprised to see him get it back at all...he destroyed the field there in his record tying 2015 year and he will want to prove this year was an aberration. Then we will see what he does in the next 10 majors to keep pace with Tiger.

You sure it's the TW fans who sound like "fanboys"?

; )

Here you go,

[media=]

[/media]