2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Why there can't be a Tiger now

wmblake2000

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not read the whole 14 pages but the stuff in the OP is the same kind of thing that was being said in the late 80's-early 90's about why no one will ever dominate like Nicklaus and we all know how that worked out. It might take another 10yrs but someone will come along and dominate.

Golf is unique in that you need a relatively odd combination of skills combining power and finesse.

Nobody, not even Jack, had the same level of ability in every facet of the game as TW. Jack was not the best wedge/sand player, for example.

That's why you have Jacks contemporaries on record saying,

"Tiger's better"-Lee Trevino

"He's the best"-Tom Watson.

Now, there should, in theory, be another TW in about another decade or so. Should be.

We see your point but you don't seem to see ours. Look the kid is good and did a COUPLE of things younger than TW. Would you like me to list the things Tiger did before JS? Because I promise that is a much longer list.

FYI I'm not a Tiger fanboy. But you are comparing one of the most dominant, if not the most dominant player in golf history to a kid who has more missed cuts at age 23 than TW has missed in his entire career. Common man. Woods has missed 15 cuts at age 40 and Spieth has missed 17 at age 23.

Well you got me there.

BUT...if we quantify the greatest of all time - the greatest to ever play - we flat out judge them on MAJOR VICTORIES. And that was where I was coming from all along...Spieth won his first two at an eariler age than Mr. Woods, and he won two (almost three, of course, he fell short at St. Andrews) in one single year three years before Tiger ever did it.

We will judge Jordan Spieth - when it's all said and done - by his major victory tally...and as it stands currently he is on a better pace than Tiger.

Actually it is a dead heat right now-correct? Jordan has 2 at the age of 23 as did Tiger. Jordan just needs to win three next year to keep even. :)

If you want to split hairs, Spieth has 3 more chances at age 23, while Tiger got his second at his last "age 23" major.... so Spieth is ahead. But then the tsunami starts.

Spieth is ahead if he wins #3 within the next three majors.

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

As far as the majors are concerned. I recall reading Tiger had all of Jacks records on his bedroom wall as a kid. And the age Jack accomplished them. Tiger wanted to beat all of them and faster. He got the wins with 79-71 individual wins but not the majors.

This era reminds me a lot of of the late 80's to late 90's.

Seve

Norman

Faldo

Lyle

Woosnam

Couples

Strange

Azinger

Kite

Langer

JMO

Lot's of really good talent, but none that were extraordinary.

Rory reminds me a bit of Watson, who overlapped the Jack/90's era, but he couldn't sustain it. Maybe Rory is a bit more like Seve, great for a while then nothing.

I will be surprised if any of the current players win more than 5 or 6 majors. But someday, there will be someone. Maybe he is a kid in China, or Michigan, or Russia. But someone will come along, it happens every 25 years or so.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

The media was the one who started the push for 18 jazz not Tiger.

it's indisputable that the major record was Tiger's most sought after goal. I've heard him refer to it a number of times over the years. He will not even tie Jack now. It's unlikely Spieth will but we should at least see what he does in his prime (which he hadn't even reached yet) before we say how well he'll fair in that department.

I don't think so. I recall Tiger saying his target was Jack's majors record even while he was a kid.

's indisputable that the major record was Tiger's most sought after goal. I've heard him refer to it a number of times over the years. He will not even tie Jack now. It's unlikely Spieth will but we should at least see what he does in his prime (which he hadn't even reached yet) before we say how well he'll fair in that department.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

it's indisputable that the major record was Tiger's most sought after goal. I've heard him refer to it a number of times over the years. He will not even tie Jack now. It's unlikely Spieth will but we should at least see what he does in his prime (which he hadn't even reached yet) before we say how well he'll fair in that department.

I don't think so. I recall Tiger saying his target was Jack's majors record even while he was a kid.

's indisputable that the major record was Tiger's most sought after goal. I've heard him refer to it a number of times over the years. He will not even tie Jack now. It's unlikely Spieth will but we should at least see what he does in his prime (which he hadn't even reached yet) before we say how well he'll fair in that department.

Its funny you are so quick to write off one and say that the other is not even in his prime. Technically Rory wasn't "in his prime" when he had most of his success. Some guys just win young and sputter out. I think the kid will end up with plenty of majors but to get 12 more is asking alot. 16 more is asking for more than alot.

Driver- Taylormade M2 10.5* set open 3* playing at 9* W/ Hzrdus Black 75X 44"
Fairway Metal- TEE XCG7 13* W/ Matrix Black Tie 7M3 X 42"
Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron W/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course and conditions)
Irons- Tour Issue Mizuno FliHi 3i with Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 465ct X
Ben Hogan PTx irons 23*-47* in 4* increments w/ PX 6.5 painted black
Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set. 50*, 56* bent to 54* and 58* w/ rifle spinner shafts
Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- ProV1X
Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

Per Tiger Woods interview:

Q: You sound like you’re not driven as much by records as we might think. Yet you had Jack’s 18 majors on your bedroom wall as a kid. Is there a misconception about what drives you?

Tiger: O.K., here’s the major misconception that people have all gotten wrong. It’s what was posted on my wall, about Jack’s records. It was not the majors, O.K.. There was one on there. It was the first time he broke 40, the first time he broke 80, the first golf tournament he ever won, first time he ever won the state amateur, first time he won the U.S. Amateur, and the first time he won the U.S. Open. That was it. That was the list. It was all age-related. To me, that was important. This guy’s the best out there and the best of all time. If I can beat each age that he did it, then I have a chance at being the best.

Q: Have you beaten most of those?

Tiger: I beat them all. I beat them all. [Note: Woods never did win the California Amateur championship.]

Q: So the one left isn’t the one that was on the wall, the 18 majors.

Tiger: No, just what I told you, all age-related, the first time he did this, this, this and this. His first major win was the U.S. Open. Mine was the Masters.

the reason why there can't be another Tiger in these modern times ...is because there is still a Tiger :) . He will be back.

This record though is going to be brutal to beat. Not sure any one can :

14 -- Major championships, second only to Jack Nicklaus’ 18

79 -- PGA Tour wins, second only to Sam Snead's 82

142 -- Most consecutive cuts made, longest streak in tour history

11 — Most Player of the Year honors

10 — Most money titles

9 — Most season scoring titles

860 — Most weeks as No. 1 in the Official World Golf Rankings

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Per Tiger Woods interview:

Q: You sound like you’re not driven as much by records as we might think. Yet you had Jack’s 18 majors on your bedroom wall as a kid. Is there a misconception about what drives you?

Tiger: O.K., here’s the major misconception that people have all gotten wrong. It’s what was posted on my wall, about Jack’s records. It was not the majors, O.K.. There was one on there. It was the first time he broke 40, the first time he broke 80, the first golf tournament he ever won, first time he ever won the state amateur, first time he won the U.S. Amateur, and the first time he won the U.S. Open. That was it. That was the list. It was all age-related. To me, that was important. This guy’s the best out there and the best of all time. If I can beat each age that he did it, then I have a chance at being the best.

Q: Have you beaten most of those?

Tiger: I beat them all. I beat them all. [Note: Woods never did win the California Amateur championship.]

Q: So the one left isn’t the one that was on the wall, the 18 majors.

Tiger: No, just what I told you, all age-related, the first time he did this, this, this and this. His first major win was the U.S. Open. Mine was the Masters.

Annnnnnnd, I remember Jack (on Ferety maybe) say "I never had records on my wall" and that if he hadn't been such a family man he could have won more (majors and even regular tournaments).

Remember "Nicklaus holds the record for most runner-up finishes in majors with 19."

JACK was the greatest of all time, PERIOD.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Tiger has 14 majors and Tiger had six runners-up. Jack has the 18 and 19 friggin runners-ups. I rest my case.

Nevertheless....I am going off topic.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Rofl!

Weak fields? Lets look at who just owned the Big 4....

Phil is older than TW and Stenson the same age.

And TW was kicking their butts in their prime.

I would like to see Tiger do what both Stenson and Phil just did at the Open (from here until Tiger hits Phil's age)...he will not ever be able to perform the way Phil just performed at his age.

Tiger's history.

Spieth is the new Tiger...already has beat a couple of Tiger's records (he had a sophomore slump, sure)...

The fact that they had to do that after he left

Tiger has 14 majors and Tiger had six runners-up. Jack has the 18 and 19 friggin runners-ups. I rest my case.

19 runner-ups, equate to weaker fields more than greatness. i.e.. Jerry west. Lost in the NBA finals 8 times. And up until this year people talked about lebron losing in the finals. Losing doesn't make you greater than anyone else. What tiger has accomplished, in the timeframe he did it in, makes him great.

I am always amazed that people use number of runner-ups to further define a players greatness. It is impressive to think Jack could have won 19 additional major titles but he didn't. When people talked about the great year Fowler had because he was top 5 in all four majors, I didn't get that either. Being in competition you want to be in contention to win during the event. After the event does 4 place really matter other than $$$?

I am always amazed that people use number of runner-ups to further define a players greatness. It is impressive to think Jack could have won 19 additional major titles but he didn't. When people talked about the great year Fowler had because he was top 5 in all four majors, I didn't get that either. Being in competition you want to be in contention to win during the event. After the event does 4 place really matter other than $$$?

Ya mean when all is said and done we won't be oohing and aahing over the legend of Rickie Fowler? 8 wins 0 majors but 30 top 5's in majors? :) I agree with you 100%. Is Jack the best closer or the worst? When he was in position he failed more often than succeeded.

With you 100% on that one.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Phil has 6 Major runner ups too

Ask him if he is happy about this stat ; )

And, honestly, you think Jack wins 18 majors in the TW/modern era?

Really, Do you think Tiger wins 14 majors in the Nicklaus era ??

See what I did there ? For what its worth, why not enjoy what both men have accomplished

with respect for their timelines in history.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

To the fact Jack finished second in 19 majors. I really like to know the average difference in those 19. How many were losing by 1-4 shots. Because then he lost those majors. When your the best player ever you don't lose majors. He lost one by 5+ shots, he got beat. Doesn't matter if he played great, the other player out played him.

When Tiger won at Pebble in 2000. He won by 15 shots. The guy who finished second, didn't lose that major, he got beat.

Tiger closed out 14 for 15 sunday leads in majors. I still don't know if that impresses or sad that he never came from behind to win.

I have always said Tiger was the best golfer ever, Jack won the most majors, Snead/Roberto De Vincenzo was most victorious.

Roberto won 280+ professionals tournaments.

You can also look at this way.

Jack won 6 times at Augusta and they kept the course pretty much the same.

Tiger won there what twice and they then deiced to add rough and make the course longer. And then he won two more times.

Will there ever be another Tiger? No

Will there ever be another great player? Yes.

When you say they are the next "whoever", you effective limiting their success. Why can't they just be themselves

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

lol at all these silly Tiger fanboys, Jack said it himself, he would/could have won more if he wasn't more of a family man. Tiger was at the major venue EVERY TIME the week prior, studying those courses and so forth...I highly doubt this was a strategy of the family man Jack, and yet he still destroyed records.

Tiger fanboys, LOL

See what I did there ? For what its worth, why not enjoy what both men have accomplished

HELL NO.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Nope-no chance. 18-20 would have been my guess. Of course back then the media would not have jumped all over his issues as they do now. They would likely have covered up and protected him. And he probably would not have instructor hopped as he did either. So maybe 20-25? See what I did there?

Nope-no chance. 18-20 would have been my guess. Of course back then the media would not have jumped all over his issues as they do now. They would likely have covered up and protected him. And he probably would not have instructor hopped as he did either. So maybe 20-25? See what I did there?

You probably believe that too. The best swing in the history of the game came not from Tiger or Jack, but even before them in either of Jones, Snead or Hogan.

Stop being so sophomoric.

Jack's the greatest though...his record proves it.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Actually yes, it does. If Jack or Tiger missed the cuts instead of placing top ten or better would that not be noticed?

Rounds and round we go...

I wonder why Tiger won more events than Jack? Hmmm. Oh yeah, because Jack could have if he wanted to and played fewer events. Except of course he did not play fewer events. Must be that pesky lack of talent around Tiger again I guess. Made it easy for him. Hmmm. Back to the question I have asked before. Those guys of yore must have been the best.

If 19 of the top 37 in the most wins on tour list were born by 1915(over a century ago) and 8 more were born by 1940(before ww2) and 6 more by 1955 which leaves only 4 born in the last 60 years. I ask you, is it more likely that the players of the past win more often because there was less competition or were they that much better than today's player?

ONE OF THE GREAT myths in golf is that Jack didn't practice very much. When he bought a house at Lost Tree in Florida in the mid-'60s, nobody saw him. He'd go out back behind his house and hit balls across those fairways all day long. He also built a putting green on land between his guest house and the tennis courts. He adjusted the speed of that green for whatever tournaments were in front of him. He wore that putting green out.

-Lee Trevino

Also, Jacks peers on TW vs Jack....

"Tigers better"

-Lee Trevino

"He's the best"

-Tom Watson

Rory assumed he was the next tiger but even though he's a long hitter he didn't have Tiger's length advantage over the field. Only one guy....Daly...could keep up with tiger off the tee and he was no where as consistent. So really tiger was in a class of his own. Rory is super long but these days there are like 20 other guys right there with him.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT Axiom 105

PXG GEN4 T 4 - PW DG120 X100

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Rory assumed he was the next tiger but even though he's a long hitter he didn't have Tiger's length advantage over the field. Only one guy....Daly...could keep up with tiger off the tee and he was no where as consistent. So really tiger was in a class of his own. Rory is super long but these days there are like 20 other guys right there with him.

JD flying by TW

I wonder why Tiger won more events than Jack? Hmmm. Oh yeah, because Jack could have if he wanted to and played fewer events. Except of course he did not play fewer events. Must be that pesky lack of talent around Tiger again I guess. Made it easy for him. Hmmm. Back to the question I have asked before. Those guys of yore must have been the best.

If 19 of the top 37 in the most wins on tour list were born by 1915(over a century ago) and 8 more were born by 1940(before ww2) and 6 more by 1955 which leaves only 4 born in the last 60 years. I ask you, is it more likely that the players of the past win more often because there was less competition or were they that much better than today's player?

They were that much better. There will be another dominant player emerging, it's inevitable.

They were that much better. There will be another dominant player emerging, it's inevitable.

So golf is the only sport where players were better a century ago then today?

So golf is the only sport where players were better a century ago then today?

They were that much better than their peers. But I'd love to see a young gun play hickory and gutta percha...