2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Nike dropping golf equipment (merged)

jgallant415

Maybe this is just dumb, but if the players like their current Nike clubs isn't there the very real possibility that they just clear out the warehouse and use their gear until it's worn out/outdated?

Like Rory has done with the VR blades? :)

No, they won't do that. Not when you have the chance to sign a new deal. Heck even the biggest Nike loyalist outside of Michael Jordan in Tiger who is hurt said he's looking at other stuff.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this is just dumb, but if the players like their current Nike clubs isn't there the very real possibility that they just clear out the warehouse and use their gear until it's worn out/outdated?

That did cross my mind with Tiger. At this stage, he has more than enough money and if the Nike equipment he has seemingly had a hand in in designing the last ten years is that good then you would think that he would. For the rest of them, the younger guys and most probably for Tiger, money talks. It might be less than they are getting from Nike but less money is better than no money.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Someone has to pick up their forgings. They are too good to let die.

I also think Nike is missing the opportunity to attempt just the Oven with their premiere players and customers. A true high end fitting and forging facility with custom equipment. Keep the irons, wedges, and possibly putters. Abandon the wood game, it's cutthroat.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Also going off of my post earlier Taylormade has really improved their line of clubs. I mean they have had the best woods in the game for years, sure there were some duds along the way, but every company has those. But they have greatly improved their wedges. which is a huge step in the right direction for them. From a personal stand point from someone who has been loyal to Voeky's my entire life I would say the new TM wedges are actually much better than Vokey's. I have never hit a wedge and wanted to just put it right in the bag as fast as I did with the new TM. If they can just work out some kinks in their Irons I feel as though they could really dominate the club industry. And with Nike being such a popular apparel company this could really grow both brands if this speculation of a merge is true.

You aren't close to dominating anything when your company is selling so poorly that it gets sold

Valid point there. Excuse me there in a bit of a spin zone with this whole Nike thing.

Do not be surprised if Nike signs Dustin or Jason Day to a clothing and shoe deal while they still swing the Taylormade clubs.

Grapevine is talking on that.

They are both in contract years so the highest bidder (UA and Nike) will be the winner on their clothing deals 100%

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Equipment manufacturers are slowly realizing avid amateurs largely don't play equipment based on what they see guys on TV play.

If they "realize" this then why, why, why do they spend literally tens of millions of dollars a year paying the guys on TV to play and advertise their clubs?

They aren't advertising the clubs they're advertising the brand and it's the same reason a nascar car has 50 stickers on it. They want brand awareness not "buy the irons Phil plays".

It's tv exposure that costs less than buying actual commercials

Where else would Callaway advertise exactly? Golf Magazine?

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

Golf is slowly reverting back to what was industry standards prior to the Tiger craze. For example, Curtis Strange wore Nike apparel during the '88 and '89 US Open's while playing MacGregor clubs. That's not a knock on Tiger. His contributions to the game will be felt for decades. We are currently seeing those contributions with the caliber of athlete coming on Tour. Tiger made golf "cool" and the game should celebrate that as they do Arnold Palmer. The growth the game experienced in the 2000's wasn't sustainable. That's evident in the number of course closures over the past few years. Now, we are seeing club manufacturers go by the wayside. How many have gone under now since the late 2000's?

MacGregor, Adams, Maxfly, Top Flite, Linx, Yonex, Armour, Nicklaus..................

Now Nike is folding and Taylor Made is in a state of flux.

Equipment manufacturers are slowly realizing avid amateurs largely don't play equipment based on what they see guys on TV play. The average golfer don't typically base club purchases on what apparel they are wearing either. Apparel manufactures thought they could create a "one stop shop" for everything a golfer would need or want. Therefore, we saw a rise in the Nike, TMAG, Callaway, Cobra/Puma business model. That philosophy hasn't panned out. Most people buy what they like and are not altogether brand loyal.

In my opinion, the big equipment deals are a thing of the past. More club manufactures will adopt the Wilson Staff, Mizuno, Titleist philosophy and let guys go where they chose for apparel.

Just my opinion.

your talking like Tiger is dead. The Guy is going to be back playing golf at one point or another. And when he does come back its going to be the most viewed event in golf history. And if you for one second don't think so. You would be totally wrong. And the manufacturer that is going to be signing him is hoping for that moment as well.

In terms of a competitive golf standpoint he is dead and has been for several years

It's over he just doesn't have the ability to admit it

I think you missed the part where the company he was the poster boy just admitted they can't sell golf clubs at a point where it makes business sense. How would him going to a new one, not even close to the factor he once was make any difference?

I loved the guy and what he meant in terms of excellence and domination but that guy is DEAD and has been since he forgot to hide the extra cell phone

Still completely wrong. Since his scandal. He won 10 Tournaments. Who is the closet to that number in the last 6 years? Maybe Jason Day? His Scandal or when he didn't hide his extra phone was 2010.

~2024 Bag~

Titleist TSR2 10 Degree Ventus Red 6s

Titleist TSR2 3W 15 Degree

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 19 Degree

Titleist T-200 4-5  Fujikura Axiom 105S

Titleist T-150 6-PW Fujikura Axiom 105S

Titleist SM10 50.12F,56.12D,60.04T

Scotty Cameron 11.5 

Titleist Pro-V1x Yellow

Equipment manufacturers are slowly realizing avid amateurs largely don't play equipment based on what they see guys on TV play.

If they "realize" this then why, why, why do they spend literally tens of millions of dollars a year paying the guys on TV to play and advertise their clubs?

Tiger sells, but a lot of sponsorship deals are about maintaining what market share you have. The average golfer won't see an ad or Tour player using a club and buy it, but over time the hundreds and thousands of images and and the advertising pushes you to a club without you consciously being able to really pinpoint that decision to one particular moment.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Early on it was obvious Nike's main error was designing/clubs for kids. Some points-squared head clubs, rivets on the clubs, color selection and of course the idiotic names. Another fault - assuming Tiger would bring in the kids to buy these clubs. Look at Puma today. Club sales never took of with Ricky and that apperal segment moved to Under Armour and Spieth. These kids are like kids in other sports in that they want to use the products the pros play on tv. Most kids that play golf were raised in Country Clubs and plays"serious" clubs with Titleist the leader and followe by Ping. If kids don't have the resources for new clubs they look at the used market. How ,any mixed club bags have you seen with kids?

That fact that TM has not announced a deal shows you just how bad their financial situation remains. UA has stayed clear of it and will focus on apperal/shows. If Nike can't pull if off with their earnings UA has little or no chance in the club business. Most likely a Chinese company will buy the brand and ruin it.

The old adage that "only the strong survive" is never more true today. Ping and Titleist stuck to this adage, built clubs based on basic principles, and are doing well in a difficult climate while other OEMs close their doors.

Just read from STP that Nike will let all players pursue other equipment immediately but won't cut any of their fees until the contracts end. Pretty stand up thing to do, if you ask me.

So I guess the opposite is going to happen

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Oh man. Was out enjoying a round. Then Got the text. Gutted me. I started with a taylormade set as my first real set not knowing much about golf. They cost me $300 brand new for a 2009 set? I Always was eyeing a set of Nike clubs. I told myself I'd get Nike golf equipment one day. Just didn't want to pay the $500 or so for the covert irons at that time.

I wouldn't touch titleist. Ping. Or any other "traditional" golf equipment company's goods. I didn't care if they said its 15 yds longer. It was more expensive anyways. Tiger was the man. And I wanted to play Nike equipment.

I wanted it all. I wanted the putter. I wanted wedges. I wanted the irons. I wanted the hybrid. I wanted the fairway wood. I wanted the driver. I wanted the bag. I wanted the golf balls. I didn't care what tiger played previously. He always intrigued me but I'd say he was the biggest reason I even knew what golf was in the early 2000's I'm a self taught hack. I have really only played for a few years.

Since I started playing I've tried other equipment. Trying clubs old and new. But nothing spoke to me like the Nike golf equipment. The colors. The bold fashion statements on the apparel. The feel (relative to what I owned). The innovations.

I'm close to my goal of completing a Nike bag. Vpc (which I chose over ap1 and s55's), vf 3w. Vp driver. Nike air hybrid ll bag. Just need the hybrid and wedges. maybe I'll get that stuff for cheap now.

I'm almost heartbroken. I'll get over it. I'll wear a hole in all the clubs before I buy new ones. My short lived "club ho-ing" days are over since there'll be no more Nike equipment to ho on.

Haters are just that - haters. Glad all you haters are relishing in "Nike fanboy" sorrows. Just remember this day when there are no courses to go to because you wanted "traditional" equipment and the products that COULD have increased the numbers of golfers (or hacks like myself) don't exist. Because I am one of those that probably wouldn't have tried out the sport had it not been for Nike golf and tiger woods.

RIP Nike golf. It's been fun!

Speaking for many who saw a lot of you Tiger influenced guys come to the game?

Feel free to stop playing we won't miss you :)

Golf was not only fine before he burst on the scene it was better for those of us who'd been playing our entire lives. No more red shirt black pant guys playing the tips slapping a 115 on the card with their 5 hour round.

I'm not talking about you specifically obviously but there was definitely a segment who came to the game because of Tiger that missed some of the knowledge gained picking it up young and developing. The latest generation to come to golf, at least in my area, is a blue collar crowd that parks carts on fringes, blasts Kenny Chesney out their radio, and basically sees golf as bowling outside. They can go too :)

In fact if they go you can wear the red shirt and play the tips :)

golf's just a game.. not a big deal.. there isn't one way to play it.. through the snout picky country club or some snooty nonsense lineage mumbojumo crass crap.

You will play your way..others play their way. just a sport full of fat, douchebags anyway.. those who have tried to make it a sport.. should be commended.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Just my two cents. I think we will see Nike switch to the marketing strategy they have used in tennis since the days of Agassi. They do not make racquets, balls, or any equipment for that sport but instead focus 100% on footwear and fashion. Therefore they have every top player in the game signed to them (other than Novak Djokovic) and they make money hand over fist because the players have complete freedom to choose the equipment they feel best suits them. It makes a lot of sense from a business model standpoint and they have the blueprint of being incredibly successful in it from that sport.

Just read from STP that Nike will let all players pursue other equipment immediately but won't cut any of their fees until the contracts end. Pretty stand up thing to do, if you ask me.

Smart move. Keep them happy and in the swoosh clothing while letting them pursue club options. They'll just do what UA does, clothing sponsorships galore while the players rock whatever clubs they want.

I can only hope that Cobra picks up Rory or Tiger or their whole staff lol. They make good clubs and have better apparel now then when Ricky was wearing neon.

Either that or UA/Titleist. Anyone who thinks PXG will sign either of those guys is insane. It would take $20+ mil a piece to keep them around just on clubs.

that would be double dipping.. Nike should stop paying them as soon as they find new contracts.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

This is sad, and I am starting to realize that the average age of the wrx community is older than I thought. Tiger revolutionized the game, got a whole generation of kids and minorities into the sport and Nike (clubs debate etc) were part of that expansion. I've played nothing but straight nike through my bag the last 10 years. It started with the Nike Ignite line/T60 and now through VF and VF 15*. From the forged pro combo that came out in 04 to the VR Pro Combos that are sitting in my bag currently. Nike has put out solid equipment, most of whom are bashing probably never swung a club.

I guess I'll need to pick up the VPC forged offerings before they're all gone to give my bad another 3-4 year lifespan of being top to bottom nike. I can't imagine myself with mizuno or titleist in the bag, this sucks.

TM Sim 10.5*|Nike Vapor Pro Fly 15* |Nike CPR 18* Wood

Srixon Z785 4-PW Modus 120|Nike Engage 50* Square|Nike Engage 54* Square|Nike Engage 60* Square

Nike Origin B2-01 35"

Somehow Schwartzel must have found out, contacted Nike, and they let him out. Was he their longest tenured staffer on Tour?

I would think Nike had contacted all of the players already, which would be why Schwartzel left. Reports are coming out of Rory already having a new Cameron early last week. I would be surprised if all of the players, especially the bigger names, found out yesterday.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Ya I don't see any superstroke grips when I go out to play golf ... everyone and their mother plays one now cause they want to putt like Jordan

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

since i have little kids....like in the movie Home....i'm sadmad.

i'm a guy that didn't start playing golf until nike golf was well established. i came from other traditional sports and used nike gear for baseball/basketball/football. i came into golf with no equipment prejudices at all....and i like their stuff. it's not like i'm somebody that can't find the middle of the clubface either.

the VR Pro II blades were phenomenal. their drivers had a different feel than anybody else. i still bag the VR Pro LE 3wd...and everybody knows how hard it is to change their 3w. their (or bridgestone's) one tour ball was great, and after a few years of misses the current RZN line is strong.

there's no reason to have any attachment to a brand at all, but i'd be lying if i didn't admit to feeling a bit betrayed and alienated. maybe enough so that by the end of the year all my nike gear will just go on display in the basement never to see turf again.

i REALLY hope they can let TW establish his own brand like Jordan did, using the guys in The Oven, but that's probably a pipe dream.

Here's to hoping the last holdout, Ping, can hang on.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

Contractually I would think this is the only thing Nike can do. Offset language and penalty language resulting in players getting less money or having to pay back would only occur if the player decided voluntarily to switch. Nike is pulling out here, not the players. I would think they have zero power to reduce fees in agreements which have been signed.

Golf is slowly reverting back to what was industry standards prior to the Tiger craze. For example, Curtis Strange wore Nike apparel during the '88 and '89 US Open's while playing MacGregor clubs. That's not a knock on Tiger. His contributions to the game will be felt for decades. We are currently seeing those contributions with the caliber of athlete coming on Tour. Tiger made golf "cool" and the game should celebrate that as they do Arnold Palmer. The growth the game experienced in the 2000's wasn't sustainable. That's evident in the number of course closures over the past few years. Now, we are seeing club manufacturers go by the wayside. How many have gone under now since the late 2000's?

MacGregor, Adams, Maxfly, Top Flite, Linx, Yonex, Armour, Nicklaus..................

Now Nike is folding and Taylor Made is in a state of flux.

Equipment manufacturers are slowly realizing avid amateurs largely don't play equipment based on what they see guys on TV play. The average golfer don't typically base club purchases on what apparel they are wearing either. Apparel manufactures thought they could create a "one stop shop" for everything a golfer would need or want. Therefore, we saw a rise in the Nike, TMAG, Callaway, Cobra/Puma business model. That philosophy hasn't panned out. Most people buy what they like and are not altogether brand loyal.

In my opinion, the big equipment deals are a thing of the past. More club manufactures will adopt the Wilson Staff, Mizuno, Titleist philosophy and let guys go where they chose for apparel.

Just my opinion.

your talking like Tiger is dead. The Guy is going to be back playing golf at one point or another. And when he does come back its going to be the most viewed event in golf history. And if you for one second don't think so. You would be totally wrong. And the manufacturer that is going to be signing him is hoping for that moment as well.

In terms of a competitive golf standpoint he is dead and has been for several years

It's over he just doesn't have the ability to admit it

I think you missed the part where the company he was the poster boy just admitted they can't sell golf clubs at a point where it makes business sense. How would him going to a new one, not even close to the factor he once was make any difference?

I loved the guy and what he meant in terms of excellence and domination but that guy is DEAD and has been since he forgot to hide the extra cell phone

Still completely wrong. Since his scandal. He won 10 Tournaments. Who is the closet to that number in the last 6 years? Maybe Jason Day? His Scandal or when he didn't hide his extra phone was 2010.

Sorry but Tiger winning the joebob invitational means absolutely nothing since he established a much higher bar than that. The fact is he hasn't won the Masters or the US Open and those are the only thing that matters to most golf fans in the USA. Day has a way higher marketability score right now it wouldn't even be close actually and there aren't 2 people in any golf store who have a clue what model irons he plays.

Tiger died in 2010. An old guy with a bad back and bad knee who can't clear a 100 yard water hazard is who he is now - that's just how it is. I can see by your entire bag of Nike clubs you won't want to admit that, it's ok, but when he announces his retirement from competitive golf, which has already happened without an announcement, it will sink in.

TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

All the Nike hate cracks me up... people need to find a more productive way to spend their time. I've had Nike clubs in and out of my bag the last 5 years. Enjoyed most, didn't got along with some. Never found that a reason to come into a thread and bash what they brought to market. It is clear by the response (28 pages of replies in less than a day) that they clearly pushed the limits of this traditional "get off my lawn" sport. Some people liked it, some people didn't. I wouldn't consider this a failure, just reallocation of funds to MORE profitable business ventures. It is a shame that employees were blindsided by this and I wish them the best. No other company was able to peak my interest in new releases through their marketing and it is something that will be missed. Think I'll miss the Nike threads the most, however. Always fund to read.

Ya I don't see any superstroke grips when I go out to play golf ... everyone and their mother plays one now cause they want to putt like Jordan

Superstrokes became popular before Spieth ever turned pro

If anyone launched em it's the short asian dude who rocked it before anyone else did :)

TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

that would be double dipping.. Nike should stop paying them as soon as they find new contracts.

I just meant STP is almost always wrong

Superstrokes became popular before Spieth ever turned pro

If anyone launched em it's the short asian dude who rocked it before anyone else did :)

He really helped them out though

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Purchase $400 driver. After a couple months, don't like it. Maybe get $100 back in a trade-in.

Pay $60 greens fees, play in just under 5 1/2 hours.

At some point, a lot of people are just going to lose interest. I know I have. Now it appears I am not alone.

Add in rules that are at times insanely difficult to understand and apply...

All the Nike hate cracks me up... people need to find a more productive way to spend their time. I've had Nike clubs in and out of my bag the last 5 years. Enjoyed most, didn't got along with some. Never found that a reason to come into a thread and bash what they brought to market. It is clear by the response (28 pages of replies in less than a day) that they clearly pushed the limits of this traditional "get off my lawn" sport. Some people liked it, some people didn't. I wouldn't consider this a failure, just reallocation of funds to MORE profitable business ventures. It is a shame that employees were blindsided by this and I wish them the best. No other company was able to peak my interest in new releases through their marketing and it is something that will be missed. Think I'll miss the Nike threads the most, however. Always fund to read.

they weren't blindsided...

when i left nike as a fitter this past april, the writing was on the wall. when you get rid of/lay off an equipment sales rep of 6 years who has more market know-how and connections with EVERY country club in the area -- for an apparel sales rep...things are changing.

the apparel rep not only knew little of the equipment, she went out of her way to hault business. i had multiple country clubs personally call me asking where this and that was b/c they couldn't get ahold of her.

after a long talk with my old supervisor (equip sales rep noted above) -- this was coming for some time.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

This was a typical corporate America/wall st play. The golf division wasn't making near as much revenue as other avenues and it was slowing down growth and hindering the numbers from the rest of the company. The board votes to cut the golf business and in the very near future Nike's earnings and growth figures will move directly upward. It's a smart play for the investors and for Nike. It's the same reason Adidas is rumored to want to dump Taylormade. It's the same reason Under Armor would be crazy to start producing golf clubs. The margins and sales are so much higher in apparel and Nike, Adidas and UA are apparel companies. They are not OEM companies with apparel lines.