Tyson Lamb Putters & Crafts

It's disappointing to hit refresh repeatedly, see the divot tool pop up, add to cart, customize with your daughters initials, log into paypal (all in the matter of < 45 seconds).

And after the paypal checkout page loads you're told you have an empty cart.

Zero percent chance I attempt to purchase anything from Lambcrafted again. That's not good business and their excuses have been dogsh*t for over a year now.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's disappointing to hit refresh repeatedly, see the divot tool pop up, add to cart, customize with your daughters initials, log into paypal (all in the matter of < 45 seconds).

Zero percent chance I attempt to purchase anything from Lambcrafted again. That's not good business and their excuses have been dogsh*t for over a year now.

I think it's awfully tough to do customization sales that way. The first time the Lambs did these a few weeks ago they were deluged with emails correcting orders and such, and they told buyers that if you do that then you go to the back of the production line. Well, I'd rather do it that way than rush something just to make sure I don't get shut out entirely. And the Lamb apologists will say type faster, have your lettering in Notepad ready to copy-and-paste, etc. I've read them all. But your post says it all too. If they want to expand the brand past flippers and the same few hundred guys, some items deserve a better system and customized tools are one of them.

I think it's awfully tough to do customization sales that way. The first time the Lambs did these a few weeks ago they were deluged with emails correcting orders and such, and they told buyers that if you do that then you go to the back of the production line. Well, I'd rather do it that way than rush something just to make sure I don't get shut out entirely. And the Lamb apologists will say type faster, have your lettering in Notepad ready to copy-and-paste, etc. I've read them all. But your post says it all too. If they want to expand the brand past flippers and the same few hundred guys, some items deserve a better system and customized tools are one of them.

No system works to mitigate this.

Nike and Adidas have limited sneaker releases that are sniped by bots all the time. I've struck out on that stuff more times than I can count... and those companies are so much bigger than Lamb that you can't even begin to describe it.

There are only three ways to "expand the brand past flippers and the same few hundred guys."

1. Produce so many pieces of a release that everyone who wants one can get one... and then some (leaving you with unsold stock).
  2. Raise retail prices so high that there is no profit left for re-sellers on the secondary market.
  3. Make ugly stuff that nobody wants in the first place.

At the end of the day, if I had a company that instantly sold out of every single piece that I produced, I wouldn't change a single thing about it.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Nike and Adidas have limited sneaker releases that are sniped by bots all the time. I've struck out on that stuff more times than I can count... and those companies are so much bigger than Lamb that you can't even begin to describe it.

There are only three ways to "expand the brand past flippers and the same few hundred guys."

1. Produce so many pieces of a release that everyone who wants one can get one... and then some (leaving you with unsold stock).
  2. Raise retail prices so high that there is no profit left for re-sellers on the secondary market.

At the end of the day, if I had a company that instantly sold out of every single piece that I produced, I wouldn't change a single thing about it.

I know. I'm OK with Lamb covers and markers being a click contest. Other companies too. I'm saying for customization products like tools, let people buy them first and be allowed to customize after that with an email or something. It's not fair for a guy to lose a product because someone else can type their kids' names and choose a paintfill color faster than he can.

But there is cart software out there that will allow a person to have a predetermined time to complete checkout/payment AFTER they have won the "click contest" to get it in cart. I think that's what a lot of people are asking for. Say 5 minutes to complete the checkout after it's in your cart. This would reserve it for you and give you time to complete the customization, and if you don't in 5 minutes, it's goes back into available stock. This type of stuff happens in about hobby of mine, high end custom pocket knives, and the successful (over a long term) makers have figured out how to do it. Lamb could too if he truly wanted.

Sure, the click contest can still be beat by "bots" in the example I give above, but it would at least allow time to enter your details at a more relaxed pace IF you managed to get one in your cart. The current system allows for more or less this (using a real world example)...in a store, you grab the last "high demand" item off a store shelf and put in in your cart. While you're in the checkout line, as you're looking through your wallet to get your card out to pay, someone runs past you, grabs the item out of your cart, Apple Pays with their phone as they are running by and out the door with the item you put in your cart. If it's makes it to your "cart/shopping bag", I think it should be yours at least until you have time to try to pay for it.

But there is cart software out there that will allow a person to have a predetermined time to complete checkout/payment AFTER they have won the "click contest" to get it in cart. I think that's what a lot of people are asking for. Say 5 minutes to complete the checkout after it's in your cart. This would reserve it for you and give you time to complete the customization, and if you don't in 5 minutes, it's goes back into available stock. This type of stuff happens in about hobby of mine, high end custom pocket knives, and the successful (over a long term) makers have figured out how to do it. Lamb could too if he truly wanted.

Sure, the click contest can still be beat by "bots" in the example I give above, but it would at least allow time to enter your details at a more relaxed pace IF you managed to get one in your cart. The current system allows for more or less this (using a real world example)...in a store, you grab the last "high demand" item off a store shelf and put in in your cart. While you're in the checkout line, as you're looking through your wallet to get your card out to pay, someone runs past you, grabs the item out of your cart, Apple Pays with their phone as they are running by and out the door with the item you put in your cart. If it's makes it to your "cart/shopping bag", I think it should be yours at least until you have time to try to pay for it.

Is that considered "cart protection"? I think the Lambs had that in place for one release a couple months back and it didn't work well at all. Not sure if it was software or what but there were a whole lotta mad people, even more than after a regular release, haha.

Is that considered "cart protection"? I think the Lambs had that in place for one release a couple months back and it didn't work well at all. Not sure if it was software or what but there were a whole lotta mad people, even more than after a regular release, haha.

Yes they tried it after everyone kept asking for it.

The biggest issue is the sheer amount of traffic on the site (buying or not buying) on release. The software created for cart protection wasn't robust enough and ended up over selling everything.

Its a case of working around that problem and then using it again.... I cant see that happening soon though.

The items will continue to be released as they are I suspect - and why wouldn't they... they are selling out quicker and quicker. Sure some are bots now - thats part of the thrill of being successful.

IMO the cart protect needs to happen for the long term benefit of the customers. It will remain to be seen how long this takes though

Rich.

That last part made me laugh. It would be hilarious if that actually happened IRL.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

Well another way that Lamb could distribute/sell goods, that would even beat the "bots", is to use a lottery system like a lot of high end folding knife makers do...I'm talking knives you buy for $900 and flip within minutes for $5000, $7500 or more, so there's HUGE demand for these things. Have a time period where potential buyers enter to throw their name into the hat, and after the entry time passes, randomly draw numbers/names, and those people buy.

Bots can't snag items in this scenario, and this even has a better chance of distributing goods to a wider number of customers, avoiding perceived "favoritism" that all in-demand makers get accused of (aka, seeding a disproportionate number of items to their "fanboys"/hype people), as long as the maker runs the lottery correctly and is open and transparent with the process. Of course, the maker could keep it all private, see the list of all the entry names, and just "randomly" pick some or all of his friends. But with the knifemakers/trinket makers (like $750 custom fidget spinners, custom single finger knucks and the like) that I've watched be transparent with a process like this, it generates HUGE lottery turnouts, as everyone feels like they have a true chance and the system doesn't favor the bots/tech savvy users.

There's even software out there that handles this for the maker...one example being signupsale.com (seen this one used a lot in the past). Handles all the sign ups and random selection for the maker, given the parameters the maker sets when creating the sale.

Point is....if the maker WANTS to make it as fair and fun as possible for customers, there are plenty of ways to do it. I've seen a lot of parallels in the custom knife world (much more long standing and established $$$$$$ hobby) and the recent high demand custom putter world. I've watched upstart knife makers come online, hit a huge wave of social media hype, have $700-$1000 maker's price knives be bought up and sold on secondary market for $5000+ and ride that wave for months to a couple of years, until it comes crashing down when they seemingly cater to their friends and fanboys too much, or just can't get enough product into people's hands, and prospective buyers just move on to the next flashy upstart.

There are A LOT of similarities so far in what Lamb has done and what some of the hot new knifemakers/EDC trinket makers have done over the years, both good and bad. And a lot of similarities in the types of customer, prices things sell for, the product being sold, etc. So some things could be learned by watching how the successful makers there have kept building buzz and momentum. In my opinion at least.

Well another way that Lamb could distribute/sell goods, that would even beat the "bots", is to use a lottery system like a lot of high end folding knife makers do...I'm talking knives you buy for $900 and flip within minutes for $5000, $7500 or more, so there's HUGE demand for these things. Have a time period where potential buyers enter to throw their name into the hat, and after the entry time passes, randomly draw numbers/names, and those people buy.

Bots can't snag items in this scenario, and this even has a better chance of distributing goods to a wider number of customers, avoiding perceived "favoritism" that all in-demand makers get accused of (aka, seeding a disproportionate number of items to their "fanboys"/hype people), as long as the maker runs the lottery correctly and is open and transparent with the process. Of course, the maker could keep it all private, see the list of all the entry names, and just "randomly" pick some or all of his friends. But with the knifemakers/trinket makers (like $750 custom fidget spinners, custom single finger knucks and the like) that I've watched be transparent with a process like this, it generates HUGE lottery turnouts, as everyone feels like they have a true chance and the system doesn't favor the bots/tech savvy users.

There's even software out there that handles this for the maker...one example being signupsale.com (seen this one used a lot in the past). Handles all the sign ups and random selection for the maker, given the parameters the maker sets when creating the sale.

Point is....if the maker WANTS to make it as fair and fun as possible for customers, there are plenty of ways to do it. I've seen a lot of parallels in the custom knife world (much more long standing and established $$$$$$ hobby) and the recent high demand custom putter world. I've watched upstart knife makers come online, hit a huge wave of social media hype, have $700-$1000 maker's price knives be bought up and sold on secondary market for $5000+ and ride that wave for months to a couple of years, until it comes crashing down when they seemingly cater to their friends and fanboys too much, or just can't get enough product into people's hands, and prospective buyers just move on to the next flashy upstart.

There are A LOT of similarities so far in what Lamb has done and what some of the hot new knifemakers/EDC trinket makers have done over the years, both good and bad. And a lot of similarities in the types of customer, prices things sell for, the product being sold, etc. So some things could be learned by watching how the successful makers there have kept building buzz and momentum. In my opinion at least.

You are exactly right. Over a year ago when I was trying to get a putter I made the same suggestion. I also made a suggestion on using an online waitlist when they had wait lists but instead they chose to keep the list private and then misplaced it.

Your are spot on, the following post earned me my first time out at a website dedicated to only one maker, questioning or criticizing the maker would earn you a time out or immediate expulsion:

" People need to vote with their wallets ",,,,,now, there is no incentive for anything to change while people are willing to pay hundreds for markers, head covers and green repair tools while fighting over less than 30 putters which cost over 2K.

But it's your money, your earned it, you spend it as you see fit.

My "Aim Small" Allendale from the June release arrived a few weeks ago. Unfortunately when I was unboxing it I noticed that the initial stamping on the toe was missing. I reached out to LambCrafted and it had gotten shipped out by mistake. They sent me a return label so I shipped it back last week and am now waiting for the stamping to be added. They were very apologetic and said that they'd get it back ASAP.

It was quite a tease to have it in hand for less than a couple days. I didn't even get to roll any putts without before I sent it back over to them to get finished up. Putter looked great but I definitely wanted the customization of the initials to make it one of a kind.

Couldnt agree more. some of the followers cry... and cry to much. but nothing is worse than the crying than the Lambs catering to the crying. It was December and they release more Halloween donuts? How are some of the "collectors" not deemed "idiots" to be not upset. Thats like buying a car thats 1/20 and then the car maker comes out and makes another 100.... sooooo limited still.

Couldnt agree more. some of the followers cry... and cry to much. but nothing is worse than the crying than the Lambs catering to the crying. It was December and they release more Halloween donuts? How are some of the "collectors" not deemed "idiots" to be not upset. Thats like buying a car thats 1/20 and then the car maker comes out and makes another 100.... sooooo limited still.

Like the Malbon/Lamb covers. Re-release the same cover, kill the value.

My "Aim Small" Allendale from the June release arrived a few weeks ago. Unfortunately when I was unboxing it I noticed that the initial stamping on the toe was missing. I reached out to LambCrafted and it had gotten shipped out by mistake. They sent me a return label so I shipped it back last week and am now waiting for the stamping to be added. They were very apologetic and said that they'd get it back ASAP.

It was quite a tease to have it in hand for less than a couple days. I didn't even get to roll any putts without before I sent it back over to them to get finished up. Putter looked great but I definitely wanted the customization of the initials to make it one of a kind.

Rookie mistake. Never, never get your initials stamped on a high end putter.

Why would that be? I have my initials and children's name on my Allendale... I dont plan on ever selling. Its not an issue.

I am not in it to make a buck, so its fine by me. I want to use something that is high end yet also has something personal about it.

Rich.

Nah, I don't really care. Would rather have a personalized putter then a shot at making a few extra thousand down the road. If I was that worried about making extra $$$ I'd just golf less and work more or invest my fun money in something other than putters :)

Anyone know when the divot tools are shipping out from the last sale? Anxiously waiting to get it so I can fix divots other people made and not mine, since I rarely land on the green. :)

I think on last count they still had some 300 orders to fulfill... mostly tools but also putters and various things. It should ship very soon.

Tana just said on the "TL enthusiast FB page" that the next putter release will use a lottery system like the 2nd chance opportunities :drinks:

Taylormade Stealth+
Titleist TSi2 5W
PXG 0317x 22°
PXG Gen3 0311P 4i

PXG Gen4 0311T 5i-Gw
JP Golf Premier Wedge 54° & 58°
Kari Lajosi Damascus LP808

That's the right move. The painful part will be when they reach out to the winners and half of them all of a sudden decide they don't want to buy after all.

Easy Fix:

1) You require a $500 deposit BEFORE being placed on list.

2) If drawn and decide you don't want the putter, you forfeit deposit. Same thing airlines do, you buy a ticket, you either use it or lose it.

3) You do this until all putters are paid for.

On FB I suggested a $50-$100 “charge” to enter the lottery, with the money saved as a store credit if your number isn’t picked. Tana responded and said that would be a nightmare to keep track of. Perhaps with their systems that’s true, but I’m with you — they have to do something up front other than “free” entries. For their sanity if nothing else.

That's the right move. The painful part will be when they reach out to the winners and half of them all of a sudden decide they don't want to buy after all.

Easy Fix:

2) If drawn and decide you don't want the putter, you forfeit deposit. Same thing airlines do, you buy a ticket, you either use it or lose it.

On FB I suggested a $50-$100 "charge" to enter the lottery, with the money saved as a store credit if your number isn't picked. Tana responded and said that would be a nightmare to keep track of. Perhaps with their systems that's true, but I'm with you — they have to do something up front other than "free" entries. For their sanity if nothing else.

Shouldn't be super hard to manage. I'm sure they are using some of the types of random selection software that I mentioned earlier in the thread. If so, then make the first round of random selections, and give those people say...24 hours to respond and pay. Any that don't after that time frame, just software randomly select another name/number for however many unclaimed items there are, and do that again. Yes, a little more legwork from the Lamb, but I seriously doubt we are talking too many putters, and as hot of an item as they are, how many entrants are really gonna no-show on purchasing if selected?

Easy Fix:

On FB I suggested a $50-$100 "charge" to enter the lottery, with the money saved as a store credit if your number isn't picked. Tana responded and said that would be a nightmare to keep track of. Perhaps with their systems that's true, but I'm with you — they have to do something up front other than "free" entries. For their sanity if nothing else.

Shouldn't be super hard to manage. I'm sure they are using some of the types of random selection software that I mentioned earlier in the thread. If so, then make the first round of random selections, and give those people say...24 hours to respond and pay. Any that don't after that time frame, just software randomly select another name/number for however many unclaimed items there are, and do that again. Yes, a little more legwork from the Lamb, but I seriously doubt we are talking too many putters, and as hot of an item as they are, how many entrants are really gonna no-show on purchasing if selected?

They'll have no-shows for sure. It's such a rush to actually get through on a release, or even to just be online in time for their recent second-chance drawings, that I think a fair number of people will be happy just to get entered for a putter. But then when told to cough up $1200 or whatever they'll get awfully quiet. Just strikes me as huge hassle that could be alleviated with some kind of deposit.