2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Tyson Lamb Putters & Crafts

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few things. One Pic isn't showing up so no idea what it looks like but thought I read it looked chunky. Two that was 8 years ago and it would be more expensive if made today. Last and this is just a guess since I can't see the picture, Tysons milling and detail and overall feel of the tool is probably better. Would love to see a Pic though

You would be surprised. I took a quick glance at his site for his $40 tool. Looks very thin. Guarantee it weighs less. There is no milled detail within the tool itself. Looks like its a cut out piece of metal. On Lambs tool, you can see milling marks on every spot of the tool. One side is chiseled as well which definitely takes time. One is also going to be stamped. Essentially one looks like it was made in a garage while the other looks professionally done. Guessing Lambs tool overall takes 3-4x longer to make. Really cant compare the 2 as far as quality.

drink-the-kool-aid.jpg

:swoon:

This pretty much sums it up right here.

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

I suggested this to Tana on IG and will do so here as well. When he is releasing a small batch of putters with thousands wanting them, they need to do like they did with the NBA putter give away. Give a couple of days for everyone that is interested to commit, assign numbers to everyone and the draw out 30 or so numbers live on Facebook. It would immediately solve all the cart sniping which truly is ridiculous at this point.

I suggested this to Tana on IG and will do so here as well. When he is releasing a small batch of putters with thousands wanting them, they need to do like they did with the NBA putter give away. Give a couple of days for everyone that is interested to commit, assign numbers to everyone and the draw out 30 or so numbers live on Facebook. It would immediately solve all the cart sniping which truly is ridiculous at this point.

That is a great idea. Once he comes up with a mallet design, I am in for the lottery!!

You would be surprised. I took a quick glance at his site for his $40 tool. Looks very thin. Guarantee it weighs less. There is no milled detail within the tool itself. Looks like its a cut out piece of metal. On Lambs tool, you can see milling marks on every spot of the tool. One side is chiseled as well which definitely takes time. One is also going to be stamped. Essentially one looks like it was made in a garage while the other looks professionally done. Guessing Lambs tool overall takes 3-4x longer to make. Really cant compare the 2 as far as quality.

To most machinists, leaving mill marks is bad. Except in the world of golf club manufacturing.

Nice. The form and shape is correct for using it properly too.

Not like those stupid Scotty pivot tools that encourage people to pry UP marks. Word not allowed backwards. They ought to be illegal.

Looks like the inventor abandoned the trademark though in 2010.

https://trademarks.justia.com/777/17/grntool-77717431.html

If it’s been abandoned and not trademarked or patented someone should recreate it. It’s ergonomically perfect.

Tyson....you listening?

Hell...maybe I’ll do it. I like it.

This, this, this. So many people have been waiting for putters, but if you weren't available for those 16 seconds they were for sale the other day, tough sh*t. Wait for the next release -- assuming you're not on vacation, or at work, or your kid's birth, blah blah blah. I think people can make peace with a lottery system a lot better than a snipefest and clicking contest.

The Lambs could even sell the lottery spots too, and figure out a way to give priority in future lotteries to those who don't win. As a business, you have to find a way to try to take care of darned near every single person who WANTS TO PAY YOU THOUSANDS for a piece of merchandise. That window ain't going to be open forever.

This, this, this. So many people have been waiting for putters, but if you weren't available for those 16 seconds they were for sale the other day, tough sh*t. Wait for the next release -- assuming you're not on vacation, or at work, or your kid's birth, blah blah blah. I think people can make peace with a lottery system a lot better than a snipefest and clicking contest.

The Lambs could even sell the lottery spots too, and figure out a way to give priority in future lotteries to those who don't win. As a business, you have to find a way to try to take care of darned near every single person who WANTS TO PAY YOU THOUSANDS for a piece of merchandise. That window ain't going to be open forever.

Not arguing your last point at all but to play devil's advocate here. Once one person willing to pay leaves not getting a putter, how quickly do you think someone else will take that ones spot. One window closes, another one opens. Just saying.

[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Cobra F8+[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Adams Tight Lies Tour 14.5[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Cobra AMP 18[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Bridgestone J40 Combo [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Callaway MP3 52/58[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Tyson Lamb Custom Bridgeport[/font][/size]
[font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif"]Vice Pro +[/font]

To most machinists, leaving mill marks is bad. Except in the world of golf club manufacturing.

I've been wanting to say this forever! Virtually nowhere else are milling marks/cuts "desirable" except in golf clubs for some reason. It's typically a sign of hasty or poor machine work. I guess this stuff began with Scotty. My dad did QC/ran a machine shop up until he retired, and I can remember the first reaction he had when, as a teenager, I showed him a Scotty (he has always been a big golfer, but in rural GA very few people had seen a Scotty back at that time). His first comments were basically referring to how terrible the machining was on it to see so many milling marks. Couldn't understand why on earth something so quickly milled was so expensive (again, relative to other putters at the time). Told me all about how tool/feed speeds were all wrong for it to look like that, etc.

Anyway, back on track!

Only the fly milling on the face affects feel/sound, the milling marks on the topline, bottom, flange etc. have no effect on the sound whatsoever. I think the machinist talk is with regard to the mill chatter on the putter head in general, not the face milling. Two completely different ideas here.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I've been wanting to say this forever! Virtually nowhere else are milling marks/cuts "desirable" except in golf clubs for some reason. It's typically a sign of hasty or poor machine work. I guess this stuff began with Scotty. My dad did QC/ran a machine shop up until he retired, and I can remember the first reaction he had when, as a teenager, I showed him a Scotty (he has always been a big golfer, but in rural GA very few people had seen a Scotty back at that time). His first comments were basically referring to how terrible the machining was on it to see so many milling marks. Couldn't understand why on earth something so quickly milled was so expensive (again, relative to other putters at the time). Told me all about how tool/feed speeds were all wrong for it to look like that, etc.

Anyway, back on track!

Since putters in the past were typically always cast, visible mill marks is like that seal of authenticity that the head is in fact milled. That's how I always figured the desire/need for leftover mill chatter started.

I totally understand why a machinist would look at a lot of milled putters and think "that's a sloppy mill job". Personally I love a ton of mill chatter. It gives it an artisan feel for lack of a better word. Which makes no sense when buying a milled putter you are paying for the precision of the CNC machine. Us golfers make no sense sometimes haha

On some with Tyson the milling is left, and on others it’s bugged out. On the top one it’s been buffed out (still slightly visible), bottom one it may have been roughly buffed but still pretty visible.

Tyson actually built his own grinder. Which is pretty cool IMO.

Titleist - 917-D3, 8.5 - AD BB-6X
Titleist - 917-F, 15 - AD BB-7X
Titleist - 916 T-MB 2 Iron - AD DI-105x
BB&F Co - DW - CB, 4-P - TI AMT X100
BB&F Co - DW - 53 & 58
Lamb Crafted - Allendale
MacKenzie - Sugarloaf Walker

Not arguing your last point at all but to play devil's advocate here. Once one person willing to pay leaves not getting a putter, how quickly do you think someone else will take that ones spot. One window closes, another one opens. Just saying.

I hear you, but maybe the guy who takes that spot isn't as patient and gives up quicker than the first guy did. When that scenario repeats over and over again, you've lost a lot of potential customers.

Not being a negative nabob, but I'll believe these monthly releases when I see a few back-to-back. I started following the brand in February and the first putters I saw were last week.

Tell us more about the grinder he built.

Hand chiseled grinding wheels.

I know you meant that in jest, but it's actually 100% accurate.

I was able to pull this old Instagram photo he posted back when he was making them...

caveman-wheel.jpg

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

On some with Tyson the milling is left, and on others it’s bugged out. On the top one it’s been buffed out (still slightly visible), bottom one it may have been roughly buffed but still pretty visible.

Tyson actually built his own grinder. Which is pretty cool IMO.

Any details or pictures of the homemade grinder?

I hear you, but maybe the guy who takes that spot isn't as patient and gives up quicker than the first guy did. When that scenario repeats over and over again, you've lost a lot of potential customers.

Not being a negative nabob, but I'll believe these monthly releases when I see a few back-to-back. I started following the brand in February and the first putters I saw were last week.

Oh I absolutely agree with you on this. I was almost one of them. I guess the hope for 2018 is to pump out more of these putter releases to help address this very issue. I guess we'll see how this summer plays out.

[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Cobra F8+[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Adams Tight Lies Tour 14.5[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Cobra AMP 18[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Bridgestone J40 Combo [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Callaway MP3 52/58[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Tyson Lamb Custom Bridgeport[/font][/size]
[font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif"]Vice Pro +[/font]

No One at all posting or boasting or bitching about the Stars and Stripes putter cover release this afternoon ?? Wow! Bizarro.

There was a release? Probably all sold beforehand

I wonder what the actual putter cover to putter head ratio is at this point? 50:1, 100:1. So many covers getting jealous, wanting a spot in the game! I cannot imagine a collector of other brands owning just accessories, exclusively.

"Ah, Mercedes-Benz, can I please buy a steering wheel and brake pedal? Next month I'll inquire back to see if there's a vehicle available for purchase to put them in...."

(Next month)"Sorry, sir, nothing available until late fall"

"That's ok, I've been eyeing up some custom seat covers for purchase in the meantime."

Reminds me of when Joey Tribianni "owned" a Porsche that turned out to be cardboard, positioned underneath a Porsche car cover.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

No one is asking you to buy, support or even like Lamb products.

They will be fine without you or anyone else that can only complain.

We get it. He does not make enough putters for everyone to get one.. frustrating

You cannot just call or place order

If anyone wants a putter right meow.. hit up table rock.

In the meantime, collectors are filling their walls with covers,

Markers and putters.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

No one is asking you to buy, support or even like Lamb products.

They will be fine without you or anyone else that can only complain.

We get it. He does not make enough putters for everyone to get one.. frustrating

You cannot just call or place order

If anyone wants a putter right meow.. hit up table rock.

In the meantime, collectors are filling their walls with covers,

Markers and putters.

We have heard that one before but it is a "public forum"... As far as collectors goes,not sure on that, I see many accessories for sale daily. This could all be solved by making more putters, current ratio is 95% trinkets, accessories or whatever you choose to call it and 5% actual putters. I love putters and obviously Tyson can make some quality putters but I for one would like to see more putter work, less talk and games.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89