Jamie Sadlowski's run at the tour. Followers?

Tcann32

It's a must to have a world class short game to make it on tour. If he has that, he's got a good chance. If not, it won't happen.

It doesn't really matter what clubs he can hit into par 5's, because he's going to have his fair share of long shots that stray well off line and end up in high score places. It all comes down to the scoring shots....short game

Martin Kaymer and Lee Westwood do not have a world class short game, above average sure

Who are you comparing them to? "Above average" Which average is that?

The average 18 handicap.

Edit: Just to be clear, this was sarcastic.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a must to have a world class short game to make it on tour. If he has that, he's got a good chance. If not, it won't happen.

It doesn't really matter what clubs he can hit into par 5's, because he's going to have his fair share of long shots that stray well off line and end up in high score places. It all comes down to the scoring shots....short game

Martin Kaymer and Lee Westwood do not have a world class short game, above average sure

The average 18 handicap.

they are probably have the short game of 5 handicap. They both don't miss many greens or fairways though, and are pretty putter from off the green, but I don't get why they can't lag putt that well when they are on the greens

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

The average 18 handicap.

they are probably have the short game of 5 handicap. They both don't miss many greens or fairways though, and are pretty putter from off the green, but I don't get why they can't lag putt that well when they are on the greens

I'm assuming your 5 handicap comments are a troll. If not, you don't really appreciate the enormous gulf between ams and tour players. Any guy who makes it on tour (except maybe Poulter) would have been the best short game player the members at their local club would have ever seen. Scratch golfers would be hacks around the green next to Westwood or Kaymer. Tour courses are so tough and tricked up, getting up and down from anywhere takes almost perfect technique, execution and touch. I have had the chance to play in top flight amateur events on tricked up members courses and have been completely humbled around the greens. I can't even begin to imagine what sort of short game you would need to cope on tour set ups.

The average 18 handicap.

Well, Martin Kaymer won a US Open and a PGA Championship on difficult major test courses. There is no way he has the short game of a 5 handicap. That's absurd

^^^^

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/4-stats-that-explain-why-marti

Kaymer won the that us open because he was hitting more greens than most the field and out putting everyone on those greens. His Short Game was better back then, though it has gotten worse.

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Well any notion of Sadlowski not being a big name can be dispelled. He's front and center on the Golf Channel commercials for the Austrailian Open as facing off against Adam Scott and Jordan Spieth. Now he just needs to play well.

I just hope he makes the cut so I can see him play. I will be working during the coverage Friday and Saturday.

I would definitely follow him. Will be interesting to see how he develops, and whether he hits a plateau in his short game.

I also can understand why he might want to leave LD. From my very limited watching of LD contests, it seem like there is a lot of chance involved at the highest levels due to a player needing only 1 drive out of X drives. I could see that getting really frustrating as a competitor. Is a a guy who hits one drive 400 and the next 360, really longer than a guy that hits one 398, then 394 ,etc ...

Plus, I imagine that at such extreme swing speeds the training is really hard on the body.

There's no difference to that and sports like discus or shot put which are both Olympic sports. One good shot will get you there. I think the thinking behind it though, is averages. If you put more balls in play, you increase your chances of getting the result you need.

I'm fascinated to see him live, from what I've seen his swing is good, mega talented and a nice chap.

However, just a dose of reality(figures are from memory I stand to be corrected). He swings in the low 140's. Average on tour is just under 120, Rory and bubba nearer 130. Quiros was a little over 130 at his best I think. I don't think that adds up to being 50 yards past most tour players. At best, maybe 30 past Rory..and it's not realistic that he would be anywhere near as straight. he has an advantage, but I would doubt its worth all that much on most courses.

There's a much bigger factor that is going to determine his success though, and that's what is between his ears. That's the real difference. There are thousands of guys who can shoot a 62 on a tough course..if it doesn't matter. It's the very, very few who can play like it means nothing, when it means everything.

I'm fascinated to see him live, from what I've seen his swing is good, mega talented and a nice chap.

However, just a dose of reality(figures are from memory I stand to be corrected). He swings in the low 140's. Average on tour is just under 120, Rory and bubba nearer 130. Quiros was a little over 130 at his best I think. I don't think that adds up to being 50 yards past most tour players. At best, maybe 30 past Rory..and it's not realistic that he would be anywhere near as straight. he has an advantage, but I would doubt its worth all that much on most courses.

There's a much bigger factor that is going to determine his success though, and that's what is between his ears. That's the real difference. There are thousands of guys who can shoot a 62 on a tough course..if it doesn't matter. It's the very, very few who can play like it means nothing, when it means everything.

PGA Tour average swing speed, 113

Rory, 119 (125 max)

Bubba, 121 (126 max)

Dustin, 122 (125 max)

Jamie Swings in the 140s with an LD driver. With a normal Driver he is maybe at 135. He doesn't hit driver often in competition, he will hit a ton of 2 irons and 3 irons off the tee. I remember he hit a 7 iron on a par 4 on web.com as his tee shot. Very Few courses will have wide enough areas down where he is carrying the ball to make worth even trying driver. A course like St. Andrews would really favor him, where he could just whale on driver all day.

The mental game is there, its just getting him into the mind of playing golf. He has been playing golf swing for so long, that it is going to take a year before we see any real success.

He is still learning how to hit shots. I not talking about hitting draws and cuts. I talking about hitting 7 iron when you normally hit a 9 iron because the wind. Or hitting 9 iron to the front the green with low traj and letting it release. etc.

The is the game changer

Rory, 119 (125 max)

Bubba, 121 (126 max)

Dustin, 122 (125 max)

Jamie Swings in the 140s with an LD driver. With a normal Driver he is maybe at 135. He doesn't hit driver often in competition, he will hit a ton of 2 irons and 3 irons off the tee. I remember he hit a 7 iron on a par 4 on web.com as his tee shot. Very Few courses will have wide enough areas down where he is carrying the ball to make worth even trying driver. A course like St. Andrews would really favor him, where he could just whale on driver all day.

The mental game is there, its just getting him into the mind of playing golf. He has been playing golf swing for so long, that it is going to take a year before we see any real success.

He is still learning how to hit shots. I not talking about hitting draws and cuts. I talking about hitting 7 iron when you normally hit a 9 iron because the wind. Or hitting 9 iron to the front the green with low traj and letting it release. etc.

The is the game changer

I don't buy this. Sadlowski's problem isn't having the shots, it's experience. This guy has been hitting balls all day every day for 10 years now. He wasn't just hitting drivers during that time. Anyone who's seen him hit balls knows he can hit ever shot you can think of. And by the way, I've seen him regular get over 150 mph with the LD driver.

To the guy who thinks Rory is only 30 yards behind Jamie's tournament driver, realize he still hits that thing 400 yards... Rory doesn't hit it 370.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Rory, 119 (125 max)

Bubba, 121 (126 max)

Dustin, 122 (125 max)

The is the game changer

I don't buy this. Sadlowski's problem isn't having the shots, it's experience. This guy has been hitting balls all day every day for 10 years now. He wasn't just hitting drivers during that time. Anyone who's seen him hit balls knows he can hit ever shot you can think of. And by the way, I've seen him regular get over 150 mph with the LD driver.

To the guy who thinks Rory is only 30 yards behind Jamie's tournament driver, realize he still hits that thing 400 yards... Rory doesn't hit it 370.

He was 28 to 44 yards longer than Bubba, DJ, and Robert Garrigus in 2011 at Kapalua during a long drive exhibition using a long drive driver against their gamers in his athletic prime. He is going to have a meaningful length advantage against anyone on tour but the gap is not as wide as you'd think.

I'd expect Jamie to gather some attention but needs a ton more experience before he is ready to fully harness his distance advantage. Look how long it took DJ to fully develop his natural talent and he was much further along than Jamie as an actual golfer when he came out of college.

the GOAT pairing at the Aussie Open would be:

Jamie Sadlowski

Lincoln Tighe

Todd Sinnott

They all swing in the mid 130's, it would be a great sight to see.

EDIT: Looks like Jamie and Todd are paired together. For those who don't know Todd, guy is an absolute freak of nature, swings it in the mid-high 130's.

Rory, 119 (125 max)

Bubba, 121 (126 max)

Dustin, 122 (125 max)

The is the game changer

I will check those figures, but how do you 'know' his mental game is there!?

Rory, 119 (125 max)

Bubba, 121 (126 max)

Dustin, 122 (125 max)

The is the game changer

Just..no. He doesn't average 400 in LD, with a special driver, much less get most balls in a 30 yard wide target, which I guarantee every pro does every time. Assuming he uses a sensible driver, and tell him he has to get it in that grid, 30 yards over Rory is realistic.

EDIT: Looks like Jamie and Todd are paired together. For those who don't know Todd, guy is an absolute freak of nature, swings it in the mid-high 130's.

I've played with Todd (and Lincoln too), I'd be VERY surprised if Jamie is any more than 10 yards longer than him, if that. Todd and Lincoln are both appreciably longer than anyone on the PGA Tour atm, they are into Hank Kuehne territory. Lincoln is longer than Todd too, I genuinely think he would have Jamie covered under tournament conditions.

Edit - Just realised Lincoln and Jamie were paired together last week at the NSW Open, anyone go along and watch?

Just..no. He doesn't average 400 in LD, with a special driver, much less get most balls in a 30 yard wide target, which I guarantee every pro does every time. Assuming he uses a sensible driver, and tell him he has to get it in that grid, 30 yards over Rory is realistic.

It seems like a lot of people just remember the massive distances these guys throw it out there on one or two balls per LDA event. Never mind the other X% of their shots that are 50 yards outside of an already 50+ yard wide grid - and actually it may be wider I'm not certain there's a standard width.

Now give those LDA guys a 25 yard wide grid that bends and slopes with concrete fairways, woods on the left side and water down the right - and tell them they are playing for a score. Not one would be swinging a 50" 3.5* driver. I would think.

I've seen a few pieces on Jamie when he's actually out playing and IMO I think Jamie will do quite well if he spends a year or two just grinding away on the tournament circuit - no reason to think otherwise from what I've seen.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I've played with Todd (and Lincoln too), I'd be VERY surprised if Jamie is any more than 10 yards longer than him, if that. Todd and Lincoln are both appreciably longer than anyone on the PGA Tour atm, they are into Hank Kuehne territory. Lincoln is longer than Todd too, I genuinely think he would have Jamie covered under tournament conditions.

Edit - Just realised Lincoln and Jamie were paired together last week at the NSW Open, anyone go along and watch?

From what I heard Linc was flying Jamie by 20-30 metres (probably need to factor in exaggeration). But he was outdoing him all day apparently.

From what I heard Linc was flying Jamie by 20-30 metres (probably need to factor in exaggeration). But he was outdoing him all day apparently.

Lincoln was interviewed after their rounds and said he and Jamie were neck-and-neck off the tee all day.

Yeah, the "world class short game" is really a fallacy. A logical one, but still wrong.

Kaymer, Westwood, and Bubba all have much lower than average short games. Kaymer can't chip, Westwood can't pitch, and Bubba reached #3 in the world while being ranked something like #175 out of the sand.

But they are all ball striking geniuses.

Bubba is the best comparison to what Jamie will be trying to do. Hit it long and find it. Wedge it on, make a few 20 footers. Have so many short clubs in that you hit 13 greens every day.

Without the world class short game, he's going to miss cuts. That is what the short game does for you. It makes you consistent money.

But wins stir the pot, and to win, you really only have to be hot for 3 days.

If Sadlowski can get hot with his putter the same week he hits his driver *mostly straight, I see no reasons why he can't compete. This isn't a guy who isn't used to competition and pressure, so he has a much smaller hurdle there than most. He also plays a pile of golf, so he's not a weekend warrior taking a stab at this. And he is obviously comfortable financially, so he doesn't have to play for his life, a little less pressure there, I would guess.

I'd love to see it.

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Rory, 119 (125 max)

Bubba, 121 (126 max)

Dustin, 122 (125 max)

The is the game changer

Jamie isn't going all-out distance on Tour. He'll be longer, but not crazy long like 400 yard averages. Check his distances on the Web.com - 360 yard averages typically hitting 32% of fairways. He might be 30 yards ahead of Rory, but it's 360/330 not 400/370.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Rory, 119 (125 max)

Bubba, 121 (126 max)

Dustin, 122 (125 max)

The is the game changer

Fine check the figures, got them straight from PGA Tour website and Trackman. To compete in Long Drive you need to be mentally tough. Do you know how many 375-400 yard drives one must hit to get the course of a LD World Championship. A bunch. Probably alot with not much time on the clock either.

Yeah, the "world class short game" is really a fallacy. A logical one, but still wrong.

Kaymer, Westwood, and Bubba all have much lower than average short games. Kaymer can't chip, Westwood can't pitch, and Bubba reached #3 in the world while being ranked something like #175 out of the sand.

Bubba is the best comparison to what Jamie will be trying to do. Hit it long and find it. Wedge it on, make a few 20 footers. Have so many short clubs in that you hit 13 greens every day.

Without the world class short game, he's going to miss cuts. That is what the short game does for you. It makes you consistent money.

If Sadlowski can get hot with his putter the same week he hits his driver *mostly straight, I see no reasons why he can't compete. This isn't a guy who isn't used to competition and pressure, so he has a much smaller hurdle there than most. He also plays a pile of golf, so he's not a weekend warrior taking a stab at this. And he is obviously comfortable financially, so he doesn't have to play for his life, a little less pressure there, I would guess.

I'd love to see it.

Give him a year, going to take that to get some routine going.

Rory, 119 (125 max)

Bubba, 121 (126 max)

Dustin, 122 (125 max)

Fine check the figures, got them straight from PGA Tour website and Trackman. To compete in Long Drive you need to be mentally tough. Do you know how many 375-400 yard drives one must hit to get the course of a LD World Championship. A bunch. Probably alot with not much time on the clock either.

Having checked, I broadly agree on the figures. I definitely don't agree that pressure in a long drive competition compares to even the lowest level tournament. Trying to perform a fast or strong athletic movement requires adrenaline. Sprinters can't get near their pb's in training, it's in competition that the blood is up. Long drive is the same, there is no fine motor control, it's just whaling away and hoping for the best.

Tournament golf couldn't be more different. The four foot putt for a start. You can't possibly say because he is good at one he will be good at the other.

I'd love to see it.

Every single one of the guys on tour have world class short games. Worse than average compared to their peers? Yes. But way better than any handicap player you know at your club. In Bubb's case for instance being #175 on tour out of the sand is a virtually insignificant stat. What does being 50th save in strokes per event? One? Maybe two? Compared to his strokes gained off the tee which is massive.

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I'd love to see it.

Every single one of the guys on tour have world class short games. Worse than average compared to their peers? Yes. But way better than any handicap player you know at your club. In Bubb's case for instance being #175 on tour out of the sand is a virtually insignificant stat. What does being 50th save in strokes per event? One? Maybe two? Compared to his strokes gained off the tee which is massive.

One could argue the reason for Bubba low sand stat is due to his average putting from inside 10 feet.