Who hovers their irons?

Psyber

I've been struggling with fat shots lately and I thought to myself why do I hover the club slightly at address instead of putting in on the ground. After going through a bucket at the range I found myself making much better contact this way. I hover my driver and it works so I guess I shouldn't be surprised it worked with irons. Does anyone else find this to work well for them? Any cons to this approach?

No cons.

Allow me to add my own thought. Hovering the club allow more space between the swing center and the ball. I would prefer the swing center being a bit too high than too low. This provides me with a simpler one way height control like an eagle diving down to the prey. Beside turning, a proper golf swing involves flexion and extension of the body in the downswing. From the top of swing to p6, the body is undergoing flexion, that is the center of mass of the body is lowering. If you are too low already from the top, your swing is flawed.

I hover everything including driver. Helps me lighten grip pressure and doesn't ever cause club to drag in grass on takeaway and keeps me from lifting club in takeaway feeling too upright. It actually caused me to flatten swing out and now hitting small draws instead of fades.

Driver - Titleist 910D3 8.5°- Diamana whiteboard 83X
Hybrid - Titleist 910H 17* - Diamana ahina 83x
Hybrid - Titleist 910H 21° - Diamana kai'li 80x
Irons - Ben Hogan FT Worth 15 - Projext X 6.5
Wedges - Ben Hogan TK 15 48* - Projext X 6.5
Wedges - Ben Hogan TK 15 53* - Projext X 6.5
Wedges - Ben Hogan TK 15 58* - Projext X 6.5
Wedges - Ben Hogan TK 15 63* - Projext X 6.5
Putter - Seemore GCP
Ball - Titleist 2012 ProV1x

Many years ago I was playing in a US Am. I missed qualifying for match play, because twice in one round my ball moved after I had grounded the club behind the ball. I was a single shot out of the play off for the final spot in match play. Took about a month to get comfortable, but I haven't grounded the club behind the club since.

I find that in addition to avoiding the risk of losing a shot when the ball moves there are other benefits:

1. Better feel for the club head;

2. Club doesn't get caught on the back swing;

3. When you ground the club behind the ball you are more likely to return the club to the ground behind the ball.

4. My arms stay relaxed and the take away is smooth.

5. It makes not grounding the ball in bunkers and hazards natural and easy.

Unless you are and old dog who can't learn new trick I re3commend it.

sTEVE

• Like 3

Have flirted with this before because like other have said it gives you a better feel for the weight of the club which helps me make a better takeaway. I'm guessing grounding the club as a golf tradition is just one of those things people have always done so they continue doing it. Let us know how you do with it!

For those who hover, do you ground, take your grip and pick up a bit? Or do you never touch it down at all?

For me I place the club behind the ball and get into my setup. Then I will take my grip and do one or two waggles to get comfortable over the ball and stay hovered behind the ball before the shot.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra RadSpeed[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra SZ 3 Wood[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Cobra Fly-Z 2/3 Hybrid[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra King Forged Tec[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra King 50/54/58[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Scotty Cameron Del Mar[/size][/font][/color]

For those who hover, do you ground, take your grip and pick up a bit? Or do you never touch it down at all?

For me I place the club behind the ball and get into my setup. Then I will take my grip and do one or two waggles to get comfortable over the ball and stay hovered behind the ball before the shot.

This, after my wiggles I don't ground it

I'm not sure if what I do is hovering, but I don't plant it behind the ball, but it's still touching the ground, but I still feel the weight of the club head.

Same for me. I never let the ground support a club but I don't make any effort to avoid touching the grass.

I probably think too much. When you hover your irons. Do you lift your arms? Spine angle?

I don't lift anything. The club is gripped and carried with both hand as I step up to the ball. As I take my address position it gets lowered into place but I stop before actually letting it rest on the ground.

Occasionally if I an really tense or am p.o.'d about the previous shot I catch myself sort of leaning in and pressing the club into the ground. But that's no part of my normal routine and is a sign of serious trouble!

I don't hover, but I wish I did (too many years of not hovering to change now). I think it is a better way to play golf as you are able not change setup in hazards.

This is actually how it really started. I found myself in fairway bunkers over the weekend and realized I was making great contact out of them and decided why don't I just play like that all the time.

I'd like to change since I occasionally get the club stuck in the rough on takeaway, but when I try to hover it always adds tension to the swing. Maybe I need to just stick with it to see what happens over time.

I found it worked best for me to setup grounded and then hover it ever so slightly just before my backswing. If I hover too long I add tension because I am just standing there holding the club.

My iron play has been struggling lately, I will definitely have to try this at the range this week. I have never really been comfortable hovering my driver, or any other clubs. Could be a good habit to pick up this winter.

SIM 10.5, Tensei Pro Orange 60TX
TS2 15, Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
818 H2 19, Hzrdus Black 85 6.5
718 AP3 4-5, PZ LZ 6.5
718 AP2 6-PW, PX LZ 6.5
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 
Odyssey 2 Ball 10S

I probably think too much. When you hover your irons. Do you lift your arms? Spine angle?

You're thinking too much Bro :)

Wayyyyy too much :)

Stay well my Friend,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Hover every club in the bag and have done so since became serious about wanting to learn the game. For me, greatly increases feel for club head and eliminates possibility of incurring potential avoidable penalties.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

I normally hover. If i don't I tend to drag the club across the ground on the back swing thus messing up my tempo.

Cobra Fly-Z+ 10.5 Driver
Cobra Fly-Z+ 3 Wood
Cobra Fly-Z 3 Hybrid
Cobra Amp Cell 4 Hybrid
Srixon Z565 Irons: 4-PW
Cleveland CG14 55' & 60'
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[url="http://www.onintwogolf.com"]http://www.onintwogolf.com[/url]

[url="http://www.onintwogolf.com"]http://www.g[/url][url="http://www.golfrefinement.com"]olfrefinement.com[/url]

Hover every club in the bag and have done so since became serious about wanting to learn the game. For me, greatly increases feel for club head and eliminates possibility of incurring potential avoidable penalties.

Yeppers, all of em :)

Have a great day Bro :)

Always,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Yeppers, all of em :)

Have a great day Bro :)

Always,

Richard

Pretty sure U.S. Am runner-up Brad Dalke had recently begun hovering all his clubs prior to the Amateur. Seemed to work pretty well for him...at least, until he ran into Oliver Luck in the final.

After saying earlier in this that I hover all my clubs, my very next round I noticed that I was actually resting my putter on the ground right before starting my stroke. Didn't used to do that, didn't know I was doing it now, probably just noticed because it was discussed here.

So of course I quit doing it. According to Strokes Gained-Putting my three most recent rounds I am about one stroke worse than a Scratch-handicap average. Looked back at the five or so rounds before that and I was nearly three strokes worse than Scratch.

Does it even seem possible that resting/dragging/not-hovering before starting my stroke was costing me 1-2 strokes per round? I guess it's possible, especially given that hovering is my life-long habit. No idea when I starting grounding the putter.