Rio Olympic course in trouble

prorobo

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was down there in October and played the course. It is fantastic and in gorgeous shape. However, I also talked with the GM and he didn't know much about golf. Obviously the Olympics has a terrible track record, but there is no reason this course can't succeed as a tourist destination. I know no one goes to Rio for golf, but people would be willing to pay a couple hundred for a one off round and the experience.

That being said, the clubhouse had no appliances of kitchen equipment. The pro show was literally a guy with a folding table and a calculator. They thing having 50 rounds booked for a week is good. They just have no concept of what a course should be. If it was run by Billy Casper Golf or Kemper sports, this would not happen. It is not inevitable that the course will fail, purely a management issue. Will it grow the game in Brazil, probably not. But it can certainly be profitable...

I was down there in October and played the course. It is fantastic and in gorgeous shape. However, I also talked with the GM and he didn't know much about golf. Obviously the Olympics has a terrible track record, but there is no reason this course can't succeed as a tourist destination. I know no one goes to Rio for golf, but people would be willing to pay a couple hundred for a one off round and the experience.

That being said, the clubhouse had no appliances of kitchen equipment. The pro show was literally a guy with a folding table and a calculator. They thing having 50 rounds booked for a week is good. They just have no concept of what a course should be. If it was run by Billy Casper Golf or Kemper sports, this would not happen. It is not inevitable that the course will fail, purely a management issue. Will it grow the game in Brazil, probably not. But it can certainly be profitable...

Got to ask - what about the security there? Have read online and off that Rio has a MAJOR issue with crime and it is especially dangerous for tourist who accidentally wonder into the wrong areas.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Got to ask - what about the security there? Have read online and off that Rio has a MAJOR issue with crime and it is especially dangerous for tourist who accidentally wonder into the wrong areas.

Having been there dozens of times, and the last time the day before the Olympics, I can answer this, Barra area where the golf course is safer than most of Rio. I have never had an issues there in my 12+ years of going there. That being said, you don't walk around the alleys in downtown Rio after midnight, and try and not be out by your self or draw attention you might have money.

It is a very friendly country, very welcoming, I have had great experiences there, and cannot wait to visit it again. I have been all over the country and have had positive experiences. Has there been some bad things happen, sure, but nothing worse than you would find in NYC or LA.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

Having been there dozens of times, and the last time the day before the Olympics, I can answer this, Barra area where the golf course is safer than most of Rio. I have never had an issues there in my 12+ years of going there. That being said, you don't walk around the alleys in downtown Rio after midnight, and try and not be out by your self or draw attention you might have money.

It is a very friendly country, very welcoming, I have had great experiences there, and cannot wait to visit it again. I have been all over the country and have had positive experiences. Has there been some bad things happen, sure, but nothing worse than you would find in NYC or LA.

I would agree with this. I was there for 8 days and never felt unsafe. If you stay in the tourist areas on the beaches it is well lit and very crowded. I took an Uber down to the course and it was easy and safe. In the parts of town I was in, it didn't feel any less safe than a US city.

Gil Hanse has got to be sick that he gave up years of his life for that course. And when he was announced as the course architect it was such a big deal. The other big boy designers were jealous. These days they are surely glad they dodged a bullet.

He got his money and recognition leading up to the Olympics. He may be personally disappointed, but can't blame the architect for the course failing in this situation. I'm 99.9% sure he knows this too. He probably could care less acfually

Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9
Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 14.5
Callaway Apex MB 2-PW
Titleist SM7 52, SM5 58
Taylormade Spider Tour

Gil Hanse has got to be sick that he gave up years of his life for that course. And when he was announced as the course architect it was such a big deal. The other big boy designers were jealous. These days they are surely glad they dodged a bullet.

He got his money and recognition leading up to the Olympics. He may be personally disappointed, but can't blame the architect for the course failing in this situation. I'm 99.9% sure he knows this too. He probably could care less acfually

No one is blaming Gil Hanse for the pending closure. Simply put, no architect wants to see one of their courses go under. And certainly not one so fast when Gil invested so much of his time for this course. He moved to Brazil to oversee the construction.

You think he couldn't care less? Wow.

No one is blaming Gil Hanse for the pending closure. Simply put, no architect wants to see one of their courses go under. And certainly not one so fast when Gil invested so much of his time for this course. He moved to Brazil to oversee the construction.

You think he couldn't care less? Wow.

cause he was paid a lot of money to do so. And the great thing is he accomplished what he set out to do. Made an awesome course that didn't disappoint for the Olympics. I understand this was one of his babies and I understand your point of view, but if you're a successful business person you take that course as a huge win for him. The Olympics was played on his course and it went great. Remember, the course wasn't the story, the Olympics was. And he designed the course for it. Do you see my point of view?

Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9
Callaway Apex MB 2-PW
Titleist SM7 52, SM5 58
Taylormade Spider Tour

Do you see my point of view?

No I don't at all. Golf course architects don't view their courses as disposable. They want to last well into the future. They want them to host majors 100 years from now and to be relevant. I can guarantee to you Gil Hanse is gutted by these developments.

You can ask him next time you talk to him then. Until then keep thinking you are the only correct opinion on an Internet forum ??

Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9
Callaway Apex MB 2-PW
Titleist SM7 52, SM5 58
Taylormade Spider Tour

No I don't at all. Golf course architects don't view their courses as disposable. They want to last well into the future. They want them to host majors 100 years from now and to be relevant. I can guarantee to you Gil Hanse is gutted by these developments.

You can ask him next time you talk to him then. Until then keep thinking you are the only correct opinion on an Internet forum ??

Without causing a furor, I know one of the guys who did some work for Gil in Rio, from presentations in the selection, to press info.

And Gil is definitely affected by the news. Not surprised I'm sure after dealing with the politics he dealt with, but nobody wants to see their creation wasted away

Saddened.....yes.....

Gutted.....doubt it.

1/3 of all Nicklaus courses that were built a few years ago were in financial trouble within 2-3 years of their being built. I doubt that Jack lost a minute of sleep, and I believe that Hanse will be much the same whether the course makes it or not.

So Golf is still an Olympic event? This was always going to happen. Dig it up and build houses for the poor people stuck in the Favelas....

It will event again in 2020 and it up for re-election for 2024 and 2028 in near future.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

• 1 month later...

Another article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4241412/Brazil-s-12-billion-Olympic-legacy-lies-ruins.html

Unemployment in the Brazilian capital has doubled since the Games, while GDP has fallen by 8.4 per cent.

Public employees have had their wages and pensions cut by 30 per cent as the state grapples with the economic crisis.

Yay Olympics!

Another article:

http://www.dailymail...lies-ruins.html

Unemployment in the Brazilian capital has doubled since the Games, while GDP has fallen by 8.4 per cent.

Public employees have had their wages and pensions cut by 30 per cent as the state grapples with the economic crisis.

Yay Olympics!

Sad. Would have liked to have seen some recent images of the course. Cannot imagine how quickly it is going downhill.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Shocked. SHOCKED.

Every olympics should be held in the U.K. from now on, as we do it best.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

This is what happens when a government is run by Left Wing Economics. Brazil is a welfare state and everything leans on a crumbling, dysfunctional, corrupt government ran by liberals.

You know nothing of Brazil, what hurts them most is that 35% of their GDP every year gets eaten by Anacondas.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

This is what happens when a government is run by Left Wing Economics. Brazil is a welfare state and everything leans on a crumbling, dysfunctional, corrupt government ran by liberals.

You know nothing of Brazil, what hurts them most is that 35% of their GDP every year gets eaten by Anacondas.

They must got buns

This isn't that much different than a lot of courses here in Florida that are closing down. For many it's a slow and tedious death. First they are cutting staff. First to go are the ones keeping the course looking and playing good. Then the pro shop staff members are cut to the bone.

Then you start to notice that the course isn't being maintained any longer. Bunkers overgrown with grass and weeds. Fairways with bare spots and crab grass. Rough filled with various weeds. Ball washers empty and/or broken.

At some point carts start to show signs of wear. A lack of maintenance shows.

Prices drop. Then drop some more.

And then they close.

And this is in an environment where there are people playing, there is money to be spent, and the weather is almost always perfect.

I have often asked myself how in the world courses could possibly hope to survive in less than ideal areas where play isn't as popular when they are dying in a state where the game should thrive. The answer is fairly straightforward and simple. There were too many built and even in a popular golf area there isn't enough play to fill that many courses.

And so it is in Brazil. Even one course may be one too many in an area where poverty prohibits playing a game of luxury and expense. Surely the IOC could have predicted and foreseen this inevitable outcome.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Simpsons reference?