2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2017 Phoenix area course conditions

fore_life

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not yet played Wickenburg Ranch. Isn't it going to be private anyway?

Eventually, but probably years. Probably the best conditioned track in Arizona right now. And fun.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Wickenburg Ranch isn't supposed to go private for a few years. I don't think that course will survive as private only, maybe semi-private.

I played Aguila yesterday and the greens were in the worst shape I've ever seen them. I think they have some fungus/disease issues. Also, not sure what clown chose the pin locations. And a pet peeve of mine..... worse that sunflower seeds..... morons that remove their ball from the cup with their putter. They should be removed.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

planning a trip out to AZ in late Feb.

Looking at Playing:

Greyhawk, Wekopa, maybe Troon.....is there another course you guy's would recommend?

Southern Dunes Im from Quincy go to AZ there 3 times a year

I'll check that one out as well.

Ping G400 Tour S
Ping G400 14.5
Ping G 19*
Ping G 22*
Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
Power spec
Vokey 50,54,58

Odyssey 3T P2 GP Tour Snsr Stright

Southern Dunes for sure, Ambiente is nice as well.....And I may catch some flack, but Eagle Mountain is a fun layout with great views off the side of the mountain, depends on the course conditioning though.

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Played GCU Golf Course yesterday in 4:20, first time playing it and I thought that it is a pretty decent track for the price. Could have played faster but paired with some very inexperienced golfers.

Tee boxes were in good shape and the greens were in great shape and fast (minus a few ball marks). The fairways were in good shape except for a few bare spots here and there. Will go back again to play until the rates go down elsewhere.

Looking at Playing:

Greyhawk, Wekopa, maybe Troon.....is there another course you guy's would recommend?

For sure Southern Dunes like the other have mentioned.

I was a little disappointed by Troon Pinnacle. The layout really didn't do much for me. It's a pretty course and its in great shape. But there are a ton of forced layup shots/forced carry and there is little to no room to miss. I am good with the fact that there isn't much room to miss. But beating a 3 iron on 6 or 7 tee boxes because I can't hit a wood gets a little annoying.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Looking at Playing:

I was a little disappointed by Troon Pinnacle. The layout really didn't do much for me. It's a pretty course and its in great shape. But there are a ton of forced layup shots/forced carry and there is little to no room to miss. I am good with the fact that there isn't much room to miss. But beating a 3 iron on 6 or 7 tee boxes because I can't hit a wood gets a little annoying.

Sure you played Pinnacle? That sounds a lot like Monument to me. Pinnacle I can blast driver on most of the tee shots, monument I can leave driver at home and be just fine.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Looking at Playing:

Sure you played Pinnacle? That sounds a lot like Monument to me. Pinnacle I can blast driver on most of the tee shots, monument I can leave driver at home and be just fine.

Cant think of a non driver hole on Pinnacle

1 and 2 are safer tee shots with 3 wood 10 and 12 are borderline 3 wood holes. This is assuming playing correct tees for distance. I had to play from 6300 for a tourney once and I hit a lot fewer drivers than normal

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

1 and 2 are safer tee shots with 3 wood 10 and 12 are borderline 3 wood holes. This is assuming playing correct tees for distance. I had to play from 6300 for a tourney once and I hit a lot fewer drivers than normal

I played 36 at Pinnacle on Friday. I had to hit 3i on the following holes: 1, 2, 7, 9, 10, and 12. We played the tees that were one up (6600-6700 range). I carry my driver about 265 to 270 with some roll out in that 280-285 range total, and my 3w doesn't carry as far but it rolls out to generally 260-270.... All of those holes had stuff crossing the fairway in that 250-280 range.

Overall I did like the course and we had a lot of fun. But if I am picking a course to pay in that $175 range, I am picking both WeKoPa tracks over Pinnacle. I haven't played Monument yet so I can't comment there. I am fine with having to layup on holes, but, for me and my game, Pinnacle got a little repetitive. Many of the holes, mainly those 6 holes, are fairly similar to one another. A shortish par 4 (most were ranging from 350-385) with some bunkers or desert cutting across the center of the fairway to a green which is well guarded. I like courses which challenge different aspects of your game and encourage you to use many clubs through out your bag. I felt like I hit my 3w (only hit 1 driver in 36 holes), 3i, 7 and 8 irons, PW and my sand wedge. That was it. I think I hit 5 woods also while trying to hit #11 in two.

That's obviously probably exaggerating a bit. Sometimes it is just the way you play a specific round. But we played the course twice, back to back, and both times I walked away feeling like it was a really challenging layout that didn't test more than a handful of aspects of my game and lacked some variety. Another perfect example are the Par 3's. 3 of them (6, 8, and 13) are visually different, but they end up playing as virtually the same shot. All of them were in the 170-185 range but based on wind direction and elevation, they were the same shot. A solid 7i for me.

Best couple of courses to play regardless of money?

My top 10 golf courses in Phoenix that I could play regardless of money.

1) Troon North - Monument

2) Quintero

3) Southern Dunes

4) We Ko Pa - Saguaro

5) Troon North - Pinnacle

6) Greyhawk - Talon

7) The Boulders - South

8) Camelback - Ambiente

9) Greyhawk - Raptor

10) We Ko Pa - Cholla

Honorable mention goes to TPC Stadium (I think I would like this course more if it wasn't always on the top of the list for the most expensive courses to play)

Playing 5 of your top 11 in mid March with 16 guys on annual trip. So many great options and appreciate all of the local feedback on course conditions.

Ai Smoke Max Diamana PD

Work in progress...

ZX5 mk ii KBS Tour Lite

JAWS RAW KBS Tour

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0

Why not play Pinnacle from the tips? I pretty much always do (can't recall the last time I didn't) and then only 1 and 10 are 3 wood holes. You can hit driver on 1 from the tips if you know where to put it but 10 is a 3 wood holes regardless.

I like that there are a few holes on that course that make you use the 3 wood. I personally don't like that it's #1 and #10 though, I like to let the big dog eat on #1. Always drives me crazy when the opening hole is less than max. One of my dings on the Pinnacle course.

Best couple of courses to play regardless of money?

My top 10 golf courses in Phoenix that I could play regardless of money.

1) Troon North - Monument

2) Quintero

3) Southern Dunes

4) We Ko Pa - Saguaro

5) Troon North - Pinnacle

6) Greyhawk - Talon

7) The Boulders - South

8) Camelback - Ambiente

9) Greyhawk - Raptor

10) We Ko Pa - Cholla

Honorable mention goes to TPC Stadium (I think I would like this course more if it wasn't always on the top of the list for the most expensive courses to play)

Playing 5 of your top 11 in mid March with 16 guys on annual trip. So many great options and appreciate all of the local feedback on course conditions.

Which ones are you missing?

I've not yet played Wickenburg Ranch. Isn't it going to be private anyway?

Eventually, but probably years. Probably the best conditioned track in Arizona right now. And fun.

I tried to go on their website today to check out tee times, and for whatever reason I can't see the available times. Must have to call them to get a slot?

AZ2AU brought this up earlier and it has always been a pet peeve of mine as well but it is GRAYHAWK not GREYHAWK

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

To use the WR website for tee times, you have to register. You can also call for tee times but the website is more convenient.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

I love how the 3 days of rain that Phoenix gets a year happen to be the 3 days I am in town to play golf.

FML.

Titleist 913d3 with a graphite shaft
Titleist 913fd with a 3w shaft
Titleist 910h19 degree with some shaft appropriate to it's use
Titleist Ap2 4-PW with metal shafts
Titleist 52, 56 and 60 wedges w/ shorter metal shafts
Never Compromise TDP 5.2 Putter or a TDP4.2 Putter or a GoLo Putter with a putter shaft

I love how the 3 days of rain that Phoenix gets a year happen to be the 3 days I am in town to play golf.

FML.

If it makes you feel any better at all it is an El Niño year so we'll likely get 20-25 days of rain this year instead of 10-13. If you ever want to know the best years to visit PHX in winter look for La Niña years.

Wikipedia info aside, sorry. I hate it when people tell me that they came to the Valley and rained them out. It is bad luck and it sucks.

FML.

If it makes you feel any better at all it is an El Niño year so we'll likely get 20-25 days of rain this year instead of 10-13. If you ever want to know the best years to visit PHX in winter look for La Niña years.

Wikipedia info aside, sorry. I hate it when people tell me that they came to the Valley and rained them out. It is bad luck and it sucks.

El Nino rain years though are pretty spotty for the most part. I played last Saturday in the "rain" and we only had rain on about 3 holes. Also note that the weatherman here says "rainy" if there is over 20-30% chance of rain...if not they would say "sunny to partly cloudy" 365 days of the year.

FML.

El Nino rain years though are pretty spotty for the most part. I played last Saturday in the "rain" and we only had rain on about 3 holes. Also note that the weatherman here says "rainy" if there is over 20-30% chance of rain...if not they would say "sunny to partly cloudy" 365 days of the year.

Yeah, like I said it is 20-25 days. Not like we suddenly turn into South Florida :)

FML.

Yeah, like I said it is 20-25 days. Not like we suddenly turn into South Florida :)

Haha. That's for sure. It felt a lot like Hawaii rain on Saturday too...which was weird. I did get a killer rainbow view on 17...

FML.

haha I had a buddy and his wife in town from Ohio this past weekend.... It was warmer and less rainy back home than it was here lol. We still got 3 rounds of dry golf in though. Our timing was impeccable.

Over new year's it was the same thing. Had a buddy here from NY for the fiesta bowl. We had a beautiful Friday but then Saturday it was chilly and a little rainy. Sunday was a total wash out. Felt bad but that happens when you travel.

Coming from the Frozen Tundra, I love every single minute above 32 degrees. We will be fine! Just find the forecast to be funny.

Titleist 913d3 with a graphite shaft
Titleist 913fd with a 3w shaft
Titleist 910h19 degree with some shaft appropriate to it's use
Titleist Ap2 4-PW with metal shafts
Titleist 52, 56 and 60 wedges w/ shorter metal shafts
Never Compromise TDP 5.2 Putter or a TDP4.2 Putter or a GoLo Putter with a putter shaft

I played 36 at Pinnacle on Friday. I had to hit 3i on the following holes: 1, 2, 7, 9, 10, and 12. We played the tees that were one up (6600-6700 range). I carry my driver about 265 to 270 with some roll out in that 280-285 range total, and my 3w doesn't carry as far but it rolls out to generally 260-270.... All of those holes had stuff crossing the fairway in that 250-280 range.

Overall I did like the course and we had a lot of fun. But if I am picking a course to pay in that $175 range, I am picking both WeKoPa tracks over Pinnacle. I haven't played Monument yet so I can't comment there. I am fine with having to layup on holes, but, for me and my game, Pinnacle got a little repetitive. Many of the holes, mainly those 6 holes, are fairly similar to one another. A shortish par 4 (most were ranging from 350-385) with some bunkers or desert cutting across the center of the fairway to a green which is well guarded. I like courses which challenge different aspects of your game and encourage you to use many clubs through out your bag. I felt like I hit my 3w (only hit 1 driver in 36 holes), 3i, 7 and 8 irons, PW and my sand wedge. That was it. I think I hit 5 woods also while trying to hit #11 in two.

That's obviously probably exaggerating a bit. Sometimes it is just the way you play a specific round. But we played the course twice, back to back, and both times I walked away feeling like it was a really challenging layout that didn't test more than a handful of aspects of my game and lacked some variety. Another perfect example are the Par 3's. 3 of them (6, 8, and 13) are visually different, but they end up playing as virtually the same shot. All of them were in the 170-185 range but based on wind direction and elevation, they were the same shot. A solid 7i for me.

I've played just about every course in Scottsdale and Troon is my favorite. Pinnacle or Monument. If you are a low cap ... maybe the course can be played with less than driver, but I use driver on most of the holes and I average 250 carry. The course offers a lot of variety on shots, so not sure why you're experience is different. But ... that is golf. Golf is different for everyone.

San Marcos today, first time playing it. Condition wise it was in reasonably good shape after yesterdays rains. Bunkers drained very very well and the sand was excellent. Greens were meh'ish recently sanded maybe in anticipation of the rain and signs of being punched in the last month or so. Rolled ok but fairly average for the most part. Course itself drained very well in landing areas and greens. Not very many mudballs which would have been expected today. Company was great with the fellow wrx'ers and it was a nice walk on a cool windy day.

The design as a whole is a bit odd. There are a couple par 4s that are as long as a couple of the par 5s and a couple long par 3s. A couple of the holes had overgrown trees that impacted the original intended lines of play. Enjoyed the walk and for $33 it was a great deal. If I lived closer I might play it again as the greens should improve here quickly after we dry out a bit.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120