2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2017 Phoenix area course conditions

fore_life

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was deferring to Matt but nicely done.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Aguila solid even after the rains. Greens a bit thin and brown coming through but were quick and rolled true. Held short game spin very well was nice to just throw the ball at the hole and one hop stop it.

With me trying to walk as much as possible this winter I think my winter monthly rotation will be 2 papago 1 aguila 1 southern dunes. Can keep it well under $70 a round and play some solid golf

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

With me trying to walk as much as possible this winter I think my winter monthly rotation will be 2 papago 1 aguila 1 southern dunes. Can keep it well under $70 a round and play some solid golf

I got to all of those courses on this trip. All in excellent shape, I can't imagine how nice they will be if the sun ever comes back to town. Throw in Dobson for another budget pick. It's in the best shape I can remember. Plus a LOT less geese this year.

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

Aguila solid even after the rains. Greens a bit thin and brown coming through but were quick and rolled true. Held short game spin very well was nice to just throw the ball at the hole and one hop stop it.

This might be off topic, but what do you all try to budget for per round golfing? Last year I set out to play 25 rounds and found myself really trying to fill the summer since the winter gets so expensive.

Driver - Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5˚ AD-DI 6s
3W - Taylormade 2016 M1 15˚
3H -Nike Sasquatch Sumo 2
4-P - Nike Vapor Pro Modus 120 Stiff
Wedges - Nike Engage Square 52˚ 56˚ Dual Sole 60˚
Putter - Nike Method 001
Ball - Nike RZN Platinum
Bag - Nike Vapor Air Hybrid Carry

Twitter - @CoreyMilstein
Instagram - @CoreyMilstein

Budget is all relative, but I usually try to play 3-4 times a month at a minimum. If I base it off say 4 rounds a month my budget will look something like this

Papago Walking with range balls total $49 x2 rounds

Aguila walking with range balls $41 1 round

1 splurge type round, Southern Dunes, Camelback Ambiente or whatever value deal I can find for a great track $60-$80 depending on teeoff.com times/deals.

So $200 a month +/- a few bucks for 4 rounds at decent/solid tracks

Summer I will typically play more rounds and might be closer to 5-7 rounds a month so the budget stays the same or a tad lower I just get more out of it.

At least my APS bill is 50%-70% lower in winter so that offsets a couple rounds

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I played TPC Champions yesterday. It was in decent shape... not as good as a few weeks ago but that's to be expected given the rain. The rough is in pretty bad shape. Brown, lumpy and not really growing. They told me back in November that they took a different overseed approach this year. The rough didn't really pan out. IDK what was up with the greens yesterday. They seemed to have a thin layer of sand/top dressing on them. Back in early December they were rolling smooth and had started to get quick. Yesterday they were a bit sandy and bumpy. Wasn't sure if that's from the lack of mowing and rolling with the rain or something they did from a maintenance perspective. Either way, still a solid track for the $65 or whatever resident walking rate.

Played WeKoPa Saguaro on NYE. They received a ton of rain overnight and were CPO. The course still in excellent shape. The fairways were a bit wet but nothing crazy. Kind of like premium courses in the Midwest during summer lol. Greens were excellent for not being mowed. Very quick, very smooth. That's an awesome track.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Budget is all relative, but I usually try to play 3-4 times a month at a minimum. If I base it off say 4 rounds a month my budget will look something like this

1 splurge type round, Southern Dunes, Camelback Ambiente or whatever value deal I can find for a great track $60-$80 depending on teeoff.com times/deals.

Summer I will typically play more rounds and might be closer to 5-7 rounds a month so the budget stays the same or a tad lower I just get more out of it.

I need to start doing this. I just moved here from the MW and playing public tracks can get out of hand if I'm not careful. I have been reserving my 'splurge' rounds for when family and friends are here (The WeKoPa, Troon North type tracks). I typically try to keep it at like $100 one round per month (southern Dunes) and then have been playing TPC Champs a lot for the resident walking rate. I like your approach to setting a dollar amount per month and figuring it out.

Thanks for sharing, I see you guys post and wonder how you can afford it, I've been playing Toka and Las Colinas, want to start working. In more courses like Papago and southern dunes but I was trying to stay under $100 per month.

Putter - Nike Method 001
Ball - Nike RZN Platinum

Twitter - @CoreyMilstein

buying a phoenix city card is probably the best bang for your buck out here...gets you great deals on courses like Aguila, Papago and GCU Golf Course....even better if you like to walk.

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Thanks for sharing, I see you guys post and wonder how you can afford it, I've been playing Toka and Las Colinas, want to start working. In more courses like Papago and southern dunes but I was trying to stay under $100 per month.

C - what kind of rate has Toka been giving you lately? I really like that course, I play it in the summer at least 3x/week. I take their Tee.off Deal times prepaid around mid day (<$20), but don't feel too bad about it as I shun their carts and walk. Heat here has no affect on me - avid runner/biker.

Like you, perhaps, I don't want to spend too much on the game during the higher winter mos. Right now, I rarely will play, but range often. Dobson is my other fave course (Walking again), and I will play their post 1 slots as a single walk on once daylite gets long enough for me to get 18 in. Most of those 1st hour are booked by foursomes, so they usually don't get me out till 2.

If you have Mon.or Tue available, I'd be up for playing Toka soon. Other factor was most places don't allow for tee times of 1 these winter mos. :wacko: My work golf bud is lamed up with shoulder issue. I have some knee thing myself so I have the fun of actually re-doing my swing now back into one I used for 5-6 yrs. some time back that is more arms driven in order to lessen the injuries I can get on the wrong side of 50. :tongue:

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

buying a phoenix city card is probably the best bang for your buck out here...gets you great deals on courses like Aguila, Papago and GCU Golf Course....even better if you like to walk.

Agreed x10000, really the only discount card that pays for itself almost immediately.

Winter rotation of Dobson, Aguila, Papago, and toka and I I don't pay more than $45 all winter.

I usually play 4-5 rounds per month, then I have the annual range pass at viewpoint ($400). Playing weekdays allows me to save a few extra $$ too.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Agreed x10000, really the only discount card that pays for itself almost immediately.

Winter rotation of Dobson, Aguila, Papago, and toka and I I don't pay more than $45 all winter.

I usually play 4-5 rounds per month, then I have the annual range pass at viewpoint ($400). Playing weekdays allows me to save a few extra $$ too.

Plus it helps save you money for that new custom putter ;)

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Are you able to use the Phoenix City card for guests too? Like if my wife decides she wants to play a round or two and I am obviously paying for the round for both of us, would my wife get the rate or would she have to have her own card?

Are you able to use the Phoenix City card for guests too? Like if my wife decides she wants to play a round or two and I am obviously paying for the round for both of us, would my wife get the rate or would she have to have her own card?

She would have to purchase her own card. You can only use it for your tee time.

C - what kind of rate has Toka been giving you lately? I really like that course, I play it in the summer at least 3x/week. I take their Tee.off Deal times prepaid around mid day (<$20), but don't feel too bad about it as I shun their carts and walk. Heat here has no affect on me - avid runner/biker.

Like you, perhaps, I don't want to spend too much on the game during the higher winter mos. Right now, I rarely will play, but range often. Dobson is my other fave course (Walking again), and I will play their post 1 slots as a single walk on once daylite gets long enough for me to get 18 in. Most of those 1st hour are booked by foursomes, so they usually don't get me out till 2.

If you have Mon.or Tue available, I'd be up for playing Toka soon. Other factor was most places don't allow for tee times of 1 these winter mos. :wacko: My work golf bud is lamed up with shoulder issue. I have some knee thing myself so I have the fun of actually re-doing my swing now back into one I used for 5-6 yrs. some time back that is more arms driven in order to lessen the injuries I can get on the wrong side of 50. :tongue:

I had the teeoff time when it rained before Christmas, otherwise I think I played an afternoon at $25.

I'm down to play a round together sometime, my issue is that I work m-f every week, so until the summer I can only play weekend rounds. In general I go for the early afternoons when I can fly around the course. I'll keep you in mind if I take a weekday off and can play!

I haven't played Dobson or Papago, I'm 5 minutes from Toka so I get lazy about driving.

Putter - Nike Method 001
Ball - Nike RZN Platinum

Twitter - @CoreyMilstein

I may have to do that.. I can never get anyone that will make the drive to Aguila. No way they would go to GCU either. Might need to start playing some rounds with you all!

Putter - Nike Method 001
Ball - Nike RZN Platinum

Twitter - @CoreyMilstein

Well Hot Stix greatly disappointed me today. I made an appointment a couple weeks ago. Drive from Arcadia out to Fountain Hills this morning and they don't have me in their system. No appointment and no openings today. They have offered to comp the fitting in the future (a nice gesture).

But frankly, my time is valuable. I spent an hour and a half in the car for nothing this morning. I can buy golf clubs anywhere and can get fit anywhere.

Cool Clubs will be getting a phone call Monday.

Well Hot Stix greatly disappointed me today. I made an appointment a couple weeks ago. Drive from Arcadia out to Fountain Hills this morning and they don't have me in their system. No appointment and no openings today. They have offered to comp the fitting in the future (a nice gesture).

But frankly, my time is valuable. I spent an hour and a half in the car for nothing this morning. I can buy golf clubs anywhere and can get fit anywhere.

Cool Clubs will be getting a phone call Monday.

Cool Clubs does a lot of their fittings at Grayhawk so you can have lunch at Phils afterwards

Back to course conditions for a moment

Toka Sticks today. If I lived in the SE valley and wanted affordable golf I would play here every single round. $34 on tee off and heck the regular walking rate might be right around that as well.

The course is not going to make any top 25 lists or be noted for outstanding architecture but it's in very payable condition tee to green. The greens quick and smooth enough.

Going back to earlier discussion on bad par 3s Toka deserves to be on that list 5 of them and all between 195 and 220

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Talking Stick South. Everything was meh. Greens were OK but somewhat thin, a bit bumpy. Fairways were OK, not much roll. Haven't played the course before, it was OK, nothing terrible, nothing great, I do like the fair amount of variation in the hole layouts.

I imagine they have short game areas for their lessons and such, but there were none for warming up. You have a 36 hole resort course and no short game warm up area(s)?!? Pretty weird.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

There are still two spots open for Southern Dunes next Friday at 8:24 on TeeOff.com if anyone wants to join Fore_Life and I!

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

Hillcrest today.

It's been close to a year since I've played here. It's always been just ok, an enjoyable layout, budget friendly with average conditions.

Stay away, it's an absolute mess. Greens are sort of decent (tons of ball marks) but everything else is just pure trash. They ripped up the cart paths and did nothing with them, all the bunkers have been let go, some of the green side ones are playable but everything else was just garbage. Crazy wet, mud everywhere, goose turds covering most holes, the lakes are covered in algae and scum with trash in them. It's actually pretty sad, not sure what happened.