Callaway GBB Epic and Epic Sub Zero: Drivers and Fairways

zakkozuchowski

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hit the sub zero today. Shafts: D+ 70 x-flex, Rogue M-ax 70 x-flex, HZRDUS Black 6.0.

Played around with the weight and lie settings on the 9.0 crown. My trouble is high spin. 3200 with my current XR (using the hzrdus) which gives me a 250 carry even with a 13* launch. Sub zero stats with D+ won in S/N setting. 2550 spin. 156 ball speed. 265 carry average.

I'm not a great golfer. 10-12 HC. My best swings were 2200 and 275 carry. I found it a little tough to turn over but it was straight. No big fades. I could draw if I consciously tried.

I wish I had the Rogue I/O to try. The Max definitely didn't feel right. I could keep my HZRDUS in it and game it fine. It only barely lost out but I liked the load of the D+ better. Numbers were really close.

Overall, it's a big win for me. Forgiving plus low spin.

So the take away is 50% of ppl love and see an upgrade

50% see no upgrade to their current drivers

Conclusion: Hype. Any great fitter could take any of the top drivers on the market and show gains unless already dialed...

Jailbreak technology does the same thing as other technologies already out. Increases ballspeed on mishits.

New Bag in the making...

Conclusion: Hype. Any great fitter could take any of the top drivers on the market and show gains unless already dialed...

Jailbreak technology does the same thing as other technologies already out. Increases ballspeed on mishits.

Pretty weak hypothesis #homer

Exactly

Thanks for the good review, Zak! I'm currently gaming an 815 Alpha and love the idea of lowering my spin. I don't so much love the idea of the price, however.

I'm looking forward to a demo day outside this spring at Chaska town course. Thanks!

I played there last year! Great course.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

You can basically spot the field 5-8mph ball speed due to an inferior driver, cut the thing down to 42" and lose a few more mph on top of that, and still lead a limited field PGA Tour event of 32 winners from 2016. Don't tell Callaway...or TM...or whoever...let's just keep that between us for now.

Titleist TS3 8.5 HZDRUS 60 6.5
Titleist TS3 15 HZDRUS 70 6.5
Titleist 818H2 19 Aldila Phenom HYB 85 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 UT 21 KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 4-PW KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind and 58/8 C Grind KBS $Taper 120 S
Scotty Cameron Futura X 35"
Titleist Pro V1x

Hit the sub zero today. Shafts: D+ 70 x-flex, Rogue M-ax 70 x-flex, HZRDUS Black 6.0.

Played around with the weight and lie settings on the 9.0 crown. My trouble is high spin. 3200 with my current XR (using the hzrdus) which gives me a 250 carry even with a 13* launch. Sub zero stats with D+ won in S/N setting. 2550 spin. 156 ball speed. 265 carry average.

I'm not a great golfer. 10-12 HC. My best swings were 2200 and 275 carry. I found it a little tough to turn over but it was straight. No big fades. I could draw if I consciously tried.

I wish I had the Rogue I/O to try. The Max definitely didn't feel right. I could keep my HZRDUS in it and game it fine. It only barely lost out but I liked the load of the D+ better. Numbers were really close.

What felt off about the Max? How does it feel in comparison to the Rogue and Rogue I/O? Thanks.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

I wouldn't call it hype, the SZ version is producing high ball speed and low spin across the face in ways other drivers aren't. It may do the same thing but it seems to be doing it better. I will reserve judgement until I hit it, but I have not seen reviewers produce the numbers they get with Epic SZ consistently with any other club.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

What felt off about the Max? How does it feel in comparison to the Rogue and Rogue I/O? Thanks.

I have a very quick tempo with a 108-112 SS. It just didn't load as well for me. I haven't hit an I/O yet but I was hoping to with this head because I have heard good things.

LMFAO. Great hype. Little gains. It's all about the strike. The rest is fluff jail break has to be there due to the 50% carbon fiber, if not the driver head would collapse. I'll wait on Ping still haven't seen anything that can beat it.

Just a couple of points. I'm not sure if you're an engineer or not, but based on your statement, I'm going to assume you're not. As for comparison to the Ping G and the LS, the GBB with the same shaft gave me 500 less spin than the LS, and 12 more yards, so maybe you should try something before making such bold statements across the board.

"Haters gonna hate" I suppose.

I would have to say with your user name your comments are based on your findings and not hype for the GBB that performs so well.

It is always great to see honesty in a man's (or woman's) word, something there seems to be less and less of these days.

If you get to hit the Epic against your GBB I would be interested to see the results! ?

Imagine if the Epic was another 12 yards on your GBB, that would make it 24 yards longer than the G LS Tec!

I must say though, the GBB is an exceptional head and it is tough to beat!

LMFAO. Great hype. Little gains. It's all about the strike. The rest is fluff jail break has to be there due to the 50% carbon fiber, if not the driver head would collapse. I'll wait on Ping still haven't seen anything that can beat it.

Just a couple of points. I'm not sure if you're an engineer or not, but based on your statement, I'm going to assume you're not. As for comparison to the Ping G and the LS, the GBB with the same shaft gave me 500 less spin than the LS, and 12 more yards, so maybe you should try something before making such bold statements across the board.

"Haters gonna hate" I suppose.

I would have to say with your user name your comments are based on your findings and not hype for the GBB that performs so well.

It is always great to see honesty in a man's (or woman's) word, something there seems to be less and less of these days.

If you get to hit the Epic against your GBB I would be interested to see the results!

Imagine if the Epic was another 12 yards on your GBB, that would make it 24 yards longer than the G LS Tec!

I must say though, the GBB is an exceptional head and it is tough to beat!

LOL now were up to 24 yards longer...LMFAO love the honesty...

Keep em coming this is getting better by the moment

Peace to all. Can't wait to play with some of my homies that drop the 500 on the new 2017 drivers and see those massive gains (including any of the new releases in 17'). Good luck selling that concept with that extra 1mph ball speed. Kinda like Vortex and Turbulators...

I'll exit stage left and leave you believers to your own devices.

Peace to all. Can't wait to play with some of my homies that drop the 500 on the new 2017 drivers and see those massive gains (including any of the new releases in 17'). Good luck selling that concept with that extra 1mph ball speed. Kinda like Vortex and Turbulators...

No... wait... stop... don't go...

Please let that be true.... skipping over all your negative comments in every single EPIC thread on a driver you have not hit is getting tiring.

Callaway GBB 9* Diamana S+ 60 - Animal Weights
Titleist 915h 2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 70
Titleist 915h 3 Hybrid [size=4]Diamana S+ 82[/size]
Mizuno MP-54 3-5 DG 120
Mizuno MP-64 6-PW DG 120
[size=4]Mizuno MP-T5 50 and 56[/size]
Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank Counterbalanced
Srixon Z Star XV / Bridgestone B330 / Cut Blue

Umm, the exit is to the right.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

Umm, the exit is to the right.

Exit...Stage Left is a live album by Canadian band Rush, released in 1981. You probably a little to young.

Please let that be true.... skipping over all your negative comments in every single EPIC thread on a driver you have not hit is getting tiring.

Thanks for finally taking the time to reply and not skip this time.

So not sure if this was mentioned in here already or the other big thread about the epic, but I just heard on podcast from Callaway that in the big Bertha epic if you do custom and go under size on shaft length they are going to throw in 2 weights for the slider. They have choices between a 9, 11 and the 17 that come stock. Pretty cool that they are giving you an extra weight to get desired swing weight.

Did they mention anything about the SZ? I want a SZ at 44.5" if I end up getting one.

I would be very careful with that. You are talking about losing 6 swing weight points. No way in the world Cally will be able to build that at the swingweight you likely want. Now after I hit send, five guys will say "they should be able to" or "just add some lead tape." I'm just saying........good luck with that.

Some shops are saying the Epic is coming in at D7. Much more than stated

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

Thread cleaned up. Please stay on topic and don't bicker.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

Never liked callaway, nearly always been a mostly titleist guy. BUUUUT That subzero fairway has me intrigued

Hear you. I demo'ed the 915F and it was a beast. Ultimately ended up witht he XR16's because they were much cheaper and gave me pretty much the same numbers, with maybe just a bit less distance. Looks like this new SZ is one of the longest fairways out right now, if you need more distance. However, it's still pretty comparable to distances Rick was getting with the XR16 and M2 3w. Overall, it seems like a good buy if you want a new wood, but you could probably save some cash and just grab the 915, M2 or Xr16 and be pretty happy.

Never liked callaway, nearly always been a mostly titleist guy. BUUUUT That subzero fairway has me intrigued

Hear you. I demo'ed the 915F and it was a beast. Ultimately ended up witht he XR16's because they were much cheaper and gave me pretty much the same numbers, with maybe just a bit less distance. Looks like this new SZ is one of the longest fairways out right now, if you need more distance. However, it's still pretty comparable to distances Rick was getting with the XR16 and M2 3w. Overall, it seems like a good buy if you want a new wood, but you could probably save some cash and just grab the 915, M2 or Xr16 and be pretty happy.

I picked up a used 815 Alpha 3 wood last winter. Similar concept with the two moveable weights. Hands down, the best 3 wood I have ever hit. I have the heavy weight back so I still get good launch from the turf. My buddy has the same but with the weight forward. Really makes a big difference off the tee. A much lower trajectory. I won't be upgrading this year, but if you in the market, that tech is the real deal. And if it's anything like the 815, you won't be disappointed!

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

what shafts are you guys trying out in the 3 wood

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Have 915 Fd a while now, love it off the tee but off deck its not up to scratch for me with the deeper face. Il see

Just placed my order with Discount Dan's (great guys, order from them!). Ordered a 10.5 SZ with the HZRDUS T800 65 and the 15 degree SZ 3 wood with the Fujikura Pro Green 72. I've got three or four shafts with Callaway tips I can put in either if I don't care for how they work out. Last years stock Fuji in the XR16 worked perfect for me and I've also got a Rogue silver and an AD-DI 7.

I requested 7 or 8 gram weights to replace the 2 and 3 gram weights that come in the driver and 3 wood. We'll see if Callaway does it, if not I'll use some lead tape. I did have some exchange with Callaway on whether I should go with the standard or SZ, decided on SZ since I can get in the head easier and give it the cottonball treatment.

Only fitting options for me locally were Dick's (worthless) so I bit the bullet and reading online reviews, youtube reviews, and in talking to NaydelmanCG in their Community I pulled the trigger.

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track