2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

New $500 Flightscope personal launch monitor (MERGED)

I'm pretty much ruled out by the iPhone requirement as well, at least for now. I was thinking I'd use this in conjunction with OptiShot instead of spending for a SkyTrak... now I'm leaning towards an older EOL device like an upgraded Vector Pro.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

I find it hard to believe that it won't have ipad support, that doesn't make any sense.

I didn't know that you had to search differently in the App store for IPhone apps. I going to try this out tonight for my ES12 app.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I find it hard to believe that it won't have ipad support, that doesn't make any sense.

Taking my left-brained accounting hat off and putting on the business sense that the LM purveyors have used prior. It makes perfect sense...

Up to now, it seems like the commercial LM mfgs have thrown in much of the same software and hardware that they put into prior units.

Then, try to restrict functionality based on the model released.

Almost daring users to jailbreak it.

Agree with other posters: Not much sense in restricting an app to iPhones, when iPads run off basically the same OS.

UNLESS, you are trying to restrict display functionality, in which case, at least one poster appears to have already caught on...

I think I know why they are saying iPhone only. If you look at the top of the Mevo, there looks like there is a slot where you put the iPhone for the video. It could be the iPad would be to big for the slot or the camera would be in the wrong position to capture the swing while being in position to capture the numbers.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Generally, you can run iphone apps on an ipad.

When searching in the app store, look in the top left where the dropdown says iPad only and change it to iPhone.

The resolution in the app will be tiny on your iPad screen. There should be an option to zoom in on the view.

It isn't perfect, but it can be done.

everybody needs a win sometimes, even if it isn't real

Any idea what they mean by: SPIN RATE (when metallic dot is used) ??

pretty sure it means you have to put a little metallic doc sticker on the ball before hitting for it to accurately measure spin rate, not sure about if its needed outside. Other flightscopes you do this as well for more accuracy indoors I believe?

I wonder if you could just use a silver sharpie pen and create a dot. That would be a lot less expensive than continually buying those dots for range sessions.

pretty sure it means you have to put a little metallic doc sticker on the ball before hitting for it to accurately measure spin rate, not sure about if its needed outside. Other flightscopes you do this as well for more accuracy indoors I believe?

I wonder if you could just use a silver sharpie pen and create a dot. That would be a lot less expensive than continually buying those dots for range sessions.

I believe the dot stickers are meant for INDOOR sessions only. If you do outdoors, no need for the dots because of the unlimited flight of the golf ball, the unit should be able to get the spin numbers properly.

We have a golf shop near our place that uses the Flight Scope indoor and outdoors. Currently since there is a lot of snow outside, I regularly go on weekends to practice indoors. I'll try to buy a silver sharpie and see what it does. As of now, there are no stickers on the golf balls and the spin numbers on my wedges are way off. 6000 rpm compared to 10,000 rpm on gc2 on my lob wedge. But when I use the Flight Scope outdoors, the spin rate is as same as the gc2 numbers.

I believe the dot stickers are meant for INDOOR sessions only. If you do outdoors, no need for the dots because of the unlimited flight of the golf ball, the unit should be able to get the spin numbers properly.

We have a golf shop near our place that uses the Flight Scope indoor and outdoors. Currently since there is a lot of snow outside, I regularly go on weekends to practice indoors. I'll try to buy a silver sharpie and see what it does. As of now, there are no stickers on the golf balls and the spin numbers on my wedges are way off. 6000 rpm compared to 10,000 rpm on gc2 on my lob wedge. But when I use the Flight Scope outdoors, the spin rate is as same as the gc2 numbers.

I think we are still waiting on firm details on the distance that the mevo will track. It isn't the same as the FS x Series, so most likely a much weaker radar system which will require metal stickers to capture accurate spin info. If this is the case indoor/outdoor will be similar because it will only have a short distance to track.

Until they officially release the specs, we are just guessing though.

Just using a silver color doesn't mean it will impact your readings. It will need to be metallic, that is what is going to reflect the radar signals. People have talked about circuit writer pens, not sure how well they work vs a foil sticker. Never tried the pens. Would be great if those with experience with the pens could compare them to either a GC2 or foil stickers.

Mevo will be short range radar only, meaning stickers are necessary whether your indoor or out. Yes, I'm saying that before they officially release it, b/c there is no way they sell a long range radar that tracks ball until it lands and only offer total spin and not any shot shape. So, short range only is the only reasonable explanation.

And tell those idiots to put stickers on the balls...wtf are they doing?

Metal Stickers for Direct Spin Measurement (indoor only)

Due to the short ball flight distance in an indoor golf swing simulator set up, FlightScope requires that the ball be marked with a metal sticker to get accurate spin readings. Only one sticker is required per ball. The golf ball is placed with the sticker facing the screen, away from the clubface. You would think the Mevo would use the same kind of Radar as the higher units since they are not really that expensive and the difference would be in the software between the units.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

You would think the Mevo would use the same kind of Radar as the higher units since they are not really that expensive and the difference would be in the software between the units.

I'd be very shocked if they used the same radar as any of the recent units. They need a much stronger system to track long range flight, as well as the capability to capture and process 3D data vs 2d.

There has been discussion that this will be 2d radar which means it won't be the same as the 3D units that are out there (as goatbarn mentioned a few times already).

Don't underestimate the cost of hardware when going from a very high level of accuracy to something more simplistic. It'll be very cool to see what this guy can do.

You would think the Mevo would use the same kind of Radar as the higher units since they are not really that expensive and the difference would be in the software between the units.

I'd be very shocked if they used the same radar as any of the recent units. They need a much stronger system to track long range flight, as well as the capability to capture and process 3D data vs 2d.

There has been discussion that this will be 2d radar which means it won't be the same as the 3D units that are out there (as goatbarn mentioned a few times already).

Don't underestimate the cost of hardware when going from a very high level of accuracy to something more simplistic. It'll be very cool to see what this guy can do.

I'm pretty sure you need 3D Doppler to determine a rotational axis. FS invented 3D ball tracking radar so not sure why we would assume they would use 2D Doppler. Have the software not calculate some of the parameters below and Viola! a budget minded Flight Scope.

Obtain Accurate Launch Metrics with our Flightscope 3-D Radar Doppler!

Did you know that by following just five key variables, FlightScope’s 3D Doppler radar tracking device can determine the exact flight of a golf ball to within a yard!

The five key variables are:

• Ball speed
  • Both vertical and horizontal launch angles
  • Spin rate
  • Spin axis

Flightscope’s 3D motion tracking devices are not just about ball flight tracking; they also measure key club strike metrics that are responsible for originating the ball flight:

• Club head speed
  • Club head path
  • Face angle (relative to either target or club path)
  • Vertical angle of attack
  • Horizontal and vertical swing plane

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Which is perfectly normal, however, the user has to ensure that the mode is set correctly within flightscope(wedge, driver, iron, etc). Many issues, when people have them, can be attributed to unit/software setup.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

I'm pretty sure you need 3D Doppler to determine a rotational axis. FS invented 3D ball tracking radar so not sure why we would assume they would use 2D Doppler. Have the software not calculate some of the parameters below and Viola! a budget minded Flight Scope.

Obtain Accurate Launch Metrics with our Flightscope 3-D Radar Doppler!

Did you know that by following just five key variables, FlightScope’s 3D Doppler radar tracking device can determine the exact flight of a golf ball to within a yard!

The five key variables are:

• Ball speed
  • Both vertical and horizontal launch angles
  • Spin rate
  • Spin axis

Flightscope’s 3D motion tracking devices are not just about ball flight tracking; they also measure key club strike metrics that are responsible for originating the ball flight:

• Club head speed
  • Club head path
  • Face angle (relative to either target or club path)
  • Vertical angle of attack
  • Horizontal and vertical swing plane

It's not even close to the same internal hardware - It's like comparing a first generation Nintendo to a PS4.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

This is what I just received today from Flightscope

Justin,

"Thank you for your interest in the FlightScope Mevo.  Ball Speed, Club Speed, Vertical Launch, and Spin (with a metallic dot) are measured.  Smash Factor is just a division of Ball Speed by Club Head Speed. 

The metallic sticker is used to measure spin both indoors and outdoors."

I'd still be curious to see how the sharpie trick works.

Justin,

"Thank you for your interest in the FlightScope Mevo.  Ball Speed, Club Speed, Vertical Launch, and Spin (with a metallic dot) are measured.  Smash Factor is just a division of Ball Speed by Club Head Speed. 

Find out if the sharpie works with their X Series units. I see people mention it here and there but again, not a ton of real feedback or details on accuracy and success. Is the "metallic" sharpie actually metal flakes and how durable is it?

The foil stickers loose effectiveness over time as they get beat up, so it seems that you'd need a nice surface of metal to be useful.

Those circuit writer pens are probably a much more feasible option, but again, not a lot of data. I've just used foil stickers with my X2. I guess I'll have to see what I can find to test out.

Justin,

"Thank you for your interest in the FlightScope Mevo. Ball Speed, Club Speed, Vertical Launch, and Spin (with a metallic dot) are measured. Smash Factor is just a division of Ball Speed by Club Head Speed.

The metal foil dots emit a higher frequency return or a "glare" from the Doppler return signal. A sharpie would only work on a camera based system. Think of the metal foil like a mirror and if you shined light on the ball every time it spun it would send back a pulse every time the light reflected off of the mirror which could then be measured.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Everyone has been talking about a metallic sharpie, not just an ink sharpie. I've heard of other doppler radar users using these pens with apparent success. Can't say for sure, as I've always use the metallic stickers.

The circuit scribe pen seems like a alternative option but $30 might be a deal breaker. Safe to assume with no metallic stickers the MEVO becomes a ES12?

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Their website only mentions iPhone -- is it safe to assume iPad works as well?

What about android? (assuming no on android...)

It Has to include iPad.. it's pretty much the same operating system

I spoke with two different people at flightscope and this is incorrect.

It is iPhone ONLY, and it must be an iphone 5 or newer. iPad will NOT work, neither will any android device.

Not very smart on flightscope's part.. I'm fine with it due to me having a iPhone since the iPhone 3 came out but making it compatible with the iPad would be ideal.

Yeah, this completely rules me out until they can support Android or iPad at the least.

I preordered one. Sales told me that android software is being tested now and will be ready when Mevo is released at end of March. That's good news for Android phone users !

I sent an email to FlightScope asking for them to clarify regarding outdoor use and tracking the entire ballflight. Their response:

Unfortunately that information has not been released yet but be sure to keep an eye out for new information at the link below.

http://flightscopemevo.com/

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

It seems there is a lot of speculation on how it is going to work or how it would have to work to get what some people want. Bottom line is we are going to have to wait until Flightscope publishes a spec sheet or makes a user guide available before we will know how it works. I have mine on order and there are things that have me wondering (and suspicions) how it will work. But until there is more information out there, I am just going to wait and see what Flightscope delivers.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Since it definitely seems to be 2D data only, I'm 99% sure I'm going to pick up an old Vector Pro, the R-Motion Golf when it's released, or both, especially if R-Motion ever releases at least a basic mobile app. The R-Motion in particular seems like it could be quite useful at the range due to its small size, as long as there's a way to use it with a mobile app for basic swing path data (even without TGC simulation) in a similar fashion to the ball data Mevo will provide.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

Everyone has been talking about a metallic sharpie, not just an ink sharpie. I've heard of other doppler radar users using these pens with apparent success. Can't say for sure, as I've always use the metallic stickers.

The circuit scribe pen seems like a alternative option but $30 might be a deal breaker. Safe to assume with no metallic stickers the MEVO becomes a ES12?

Don't believe the ES12 measures launch angle, so almost, but probably not. I'd suspect the accuracy tolerances on the Mevo would be tighter than those on the ESXX (maybe not ES16) anyway though.

Also, IsleOfMan...I wouldn't expect the RMotion to have any more/less accuracy than that of Skypro/Swingbyte...etc. It's the exact same technology. Speaking from personal experience, it is not something you'd use to fine tune something like swing path...unless you're currently around 20* out to in, and you're hoping to get inside of 5* +/- 5*...

Since it definitely seems to be 2D data only, I'm 99% sure I'm going to pick up an old Vector Pro, the R-Motion Golf when it's released, or both, especially if R-Motion ever releases at least a basic mobile app. The R-Motion in particular seems like it could be quite useful at the range due to its small size, as long as there's a way to use it with a mobile app for basic swing path data (even without TGC simulation) in a similar fashion to the ball data Mevo will provide.

Confirmed by FlightScope, 3D Doppler System is the same used in their other units. Metallic stickers used for tracking the ball indoors.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6