2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

New $500 Flightscope personal launch monitor (MERGED)

I would like to see a press release from FS before I PayPal them my money. I don't think any of us would spend $500 on a new TV without at least seeing it or reading a review, That would be just financially irresponsible to do. I'm really sold on the concept of the MEVO but not really interested in being a beta tester on a soft release.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I would like to see a press release from FS before I PayPal them my money. I don't think any of us would spend $500 on a new TV without at least seeing it or reading a review, That would be just financially irresponsible to do. I'm really sold on the concept of the MEVO but not really interested in being a beta tester on a soft release.

I guess I'm financially irresponsible.

I guess I'm financially irresponsible.

On that note, I will speculate that all the Pre-Orders are paying for the upcoming press release.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

2D radar measure 2 positional coordinates to locate an object. 3D radar measures 3.

FlightScopes web page says 27, Have you been talking to Goatbarns guy too?

You are not talking about dimensions, the 27 of what you are mentioning is data points (measured or calculated) for their X units. Only six of those are listed for the Mevo and they are only discussing two dimensions.

A dimension not a parameter. This explains what somaplr was explaining a bit https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimension

In our case, he's talking about height/distance/angle of deviation from origin. Basically what it would take to plot the path in 3D space vs a simple x-y 2d plot.

It's better to understand terminology before taking a stab at people. Everyone needs to chill a bit. We have a few people who have a lot of experience with this stuff, let's just have normal conversations...we don't need to get snippy and challenge everyone.

For those of you who own a Flightscope, how is the software? How fast do the units process the data. Im hoping there is not alot of lag like a Skytrak. Does the current Ipad app seem polished or cheap?

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

For those of you who own a Flightscope, how is the software? How fast do the units process the data. Im hoping there is not alot of lag like a Skytrak. Does the current Ipad app seem polished or cheap?

It is way better than Skytrak (I have an X2 and a Skytrak, mainly to see how ST was for simulation since it can read putts).

You have a lot more capabilities/viewing options with the VX app than the cheap ST range.

That being said, the Mevo most likely won't use the VX app since it is only showing a few parameters and however they implement the video. It is pretty quick though. By the time I finish my swing and look at the iPad it is already tracing the flight. I'd assume this would be the same.

It is way better than Skytrak (I have an X2 and a Skytrak, mainly to see how ST was for simulation since it can read putts).

You have a lot more capabilities/viewing options with the VX app than the cheap ST range.

That being said, the Mevo most likely won't use the VX app since it is only showing a few parameters and however they implement the video. It is pretty quick though. By the time I finish my swing and look at the iPad it is already tracing the flight. I'd assume this would be the same.

I will be shocked if MEVO traces the flight of the ball. It is going to give launch characteristics and that's it.

It's a fitting machine.

I can't wait for the first reviews and trackman/flightscope comparisons!

I've never hit on anything without a spin axis measurement, so I'm very interested to see as well. Even though there is no such thing as golf "side spin" on a golf ball, spin axis tilt has a major influence on how far golf balls travel. As we know, it's not going to measure spin axis, so the more draw or fade you play the less accurate I would assume it's going to be...that's an educated guess, not confirmed.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

If this had spin axis at this price point this thing would be bananas for my back yard net range setup...

I wouldn't have an issue of plunking down $1k to have all of that in a portable unit. The issue I always run into is time to play golf. My family takes up a lot of time which it should but I always find myself late in the day where there is not enough day light to play 9 nor do I want to pack up the clubs to go to the range and hit off the mats. I play in a Tuesday night league and only get about 45 minutes of practice in before each round. Give me a home driving range for around $1k and I'm a happy Camper.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

A sc200 would give the same carry for 2 drives with the same ballspeed when their different launch and spin conditions could mean in reality a difference of up to 40 yards. It's a ballspeed monitor not a launch monitor like the Mevo will be

So for an extra $150 from the SC200, you're getting launch angle & spin rate (if you use the stickers).

Is that really worth the extra $150? I don't even quite understand what's so important about spin rate. I know all the driver reviews talk about lowering your spin rate. But those numbers honestly don't mean anything to me. I mostly care about using it at a range to get average distances for each club. I think I'd rather just go with the SC200 over the Mevo.

Should have grabbed one at the PGA Show. Show special was $200 (down from $350).

Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't trust the SC200 for accuracy

A sc200 would give the same carry for 2 drives with the same ballspeed when their different launch and spin conditions could mean in reality a difference of up to 40 yards. It's a ballspeed monitor not a launch monitor like the Mevo will be

So for an extra $150 from the SC200, you're getting launch angle & spin rate (if you use the stickers).

Is that really worth the extra $150? I don't even quite understand what's so important about spin rate. I know all the driver reviews talk about lowering your spin rate. But those numbers honestly don't mean anything to me. I mostly care about using it at a range to get average distances for each club. I think I'd rather just go with the SC200 over the Mevo.

Should have grabbed one at the PGA Show. Show special was $200 (down from $350).

I'm torn between mevo and sc200 - all reviews I've seen say yardage is spot on for sc200, only issues being selecting wrong club which would then give inaccurate yardage. Mevo is going to have something extra for the extra price tag in my eyes.

Scad die likely to be pretty good for iron shots but could be widely different on driver compared to the 'standard' the incorporate in their algorithm. Eg hit it with low launch and high spin vs high launch low spin, both with same ballspeed and your total distance could vary by up to 40 yds. Scad die wouldn't see this

I'm torn between mevo and sc200 - all reviews I've seen say yardage is spot on for sc200, only issues being selecting wrong club which would then give inaccurate yardage. Mevo is going to have something extra for the extra price tag in my eyes.

Scad die likely to be pretty good for iron shots but could be widely different on driver compared to the 'standard' the incorporate in their algorithm. Eg hit it with low launch and high spin vs high launch low spin, both with same ballspeed and your total distance could vary by up to 40 yds. Scad die wouldn't see this

That won't really bother to be honest, irons are where I need to groove my swing and yardages.

As this is really for indoor work the major Issue i face is shot direction and lack of indication from these low priced units.

Skytrak seems to be the only one covering these bases but that's a big step up.

My main use for this will be outside... as the place I work (a nursing home) actually owns a golf course...and the driving range is 10 feet from my parking lot. So I can walk right outside to the course after work.

Kind of good and bad...is that the range is "bring your own balls" (as well as pick them up) and it's only 225 yards long, but plenty wide. Because of these factors, no one but me uses it...

I think i would be really fun to use this unit to get my numbers from wedges up to 3 iron.

However...I don't know whether to pay $500 for this...or just fork out the change for an xi or xi+

Any thoughts???

Think this will be perfect for you. You will see spin axis through the air and get accurate carry numbers from the Mevo. Dont really understand why you would use it other than with your own balls. Driving range balls tend to be of random quality and are either low spinning rocks or spinnier reduced distance things. Hence the yardages will seldom be what you get with premium balls on course.

A use would be, get hitting well at range and then go home a do a few cks into a net or if the range is agreeable use a pop up net in front of your ball and hit your premium balls into

The Mevo is perfect for doing your gap testing on your home range with your own balls, or just taking on course and working on your course management

My main use for this will be outside... as the place I work (a nursing home) actually owns a golf course...and the driving range is 10 feet from my parking lot. So I can walk right outside to the course after work.

Kind of good and bad...is that the range is "bring your own balls" (as well as pick them up) and it's only 225 yards long, but plenty wide. Because of these factors, no one but me uses it...

I think i would be really fun to use this unit to get my numbers from wedges up to 3 iron.

However...I don't know whether to pay $500 for this...or just fork out the change for an xi or xi+

Any thoughts???

Think this will be perfect for you. You will see spin axis through the air and get accurate carry numbers from the Mevo. Dont really understand why you would use it other than with your own balls. Driving range balls tend to be of random quality and are either low spinning rocks or spinnier reduced distance things. Hence the yardages will seldom be what you get with premium balls on course.

A use would be, get hitting well at range and then go home a do a few cks into a net or if the range is agreeable use a pop up net in front of your ball and hit your premium balls into

The Mevo is perfect for doing your gap testing on your home range with your own balls, or just taking on course and working on your course management

Any thoughts???

Thanks for the reply! I have my own shagbag of about 100 great condition pro V's and Bridgestone 330's

I played this morning and could seriously see mounting my iPad mini on my pull cart and plopping the Mevo down before every shot while doing practice rounds. Would be nice to chart my rounds. Since I shoot the laser before every shot I could just note the yardage and compare to the logs on the Mevo when I'm done. I think I'm pulling the trigger on it pretty soon.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

People purely looking to find out what their on course yardage gaps are can save a $400 and buy Game Golf, cheaper accurate alternative.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

I played this morning and could seriously see mounting my iPad mini on my pull cart and plopping the Mevo down before every shot while doing practice rounds. Would be nice to chart my rounds. Since I shoot the laser before every shot I could just note the yardage and compare to the logs on the Mevo when I'm done. I think I'm pulling the trigger on it pretty soon.

That's a lot of work. You could really only do it when you didn't have a group behind you. Even though it seems like it wouldn't take long, it'd be a lot of extra time through the round. The accuracy comes from being aligned properly and level and rarely are there flat spots on the courses I play.

Also don't know how much it would like being rattled around round after round in a bag either.

That's a lot of work. You could really only do it when you didn't have a group behind you. Even though it seems like it wouldn't take long, it'd be a lot of extra time through the round. The accuracy comes from being aligned properly and level and rarely are there flat spots on the courses I play.

Also don't know how much it would like being rattled around round after round in a bag either.

I don't think it will matter if the Mevo is level since it doesn't measure side spin. I have had some slow summer evenings with no one on the course and would be a great tool to practice with.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I don't think it will matter if the Mevo is level since it doesn't measure side spin. I have had some slow summer evenings with no one on the course and would be a great tool to practice with.

Probably a software level required. So ground maybe needs to be +/- 10* to level in order to work or something. Otherwise launch angle measurement would be less than actual.

I see the newest email from FS saying end of March now for shipping. I could see myself getting more out of a Skytrak for home use. I could take the $500 and buy a new CCE Mat and a new net and finance the Skytrak and be banging away next weekend.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I see the newest email from FS saying end of March now for shipping. I could see myself getting more out of a Skytrak for home use. I could take the $500 and buy a new CCE Mat and a new net and finance the Skytrak and be banging away next weekend.

Sounds like you have your answer then.

If you want to spend $1500-2k for the LM and need it now (someone said they were back ordered, not sure if that is still the case with all channels), then Skytrak is the way to go.

If you only want to spend 500 and are ok with waiting, then wait.

What if FS is messing with everyone and decided it would be fun to lower everyone's expectations and releases a unit that essentially works in indoor mode with a lower power Doppler unit, with full spin/azimuth measurement similar to the Xi?