2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Endorsements: Are you Swayed?

Sean2

There are enough stories of players doing something great and a specific club getting notice

Player X finds a new driver and starts blasting it

Player Y switches putters and wins

Player gets on a hot streak and plenty of golf customers think it's a magic bullet, not an adjustment the player made to find great form

Well the irony is just because professional "A" hits his new driver 310 yards doesn't mean the average golfer will if he purchases one.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a corporation offers me an endorsement deal....yeah I might be swayed. Depends on the deal. I haven't been offered one yet.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

Everyone is swayed by marketing, movies, music, media to a degree - it is about creating a ground swell that slowly influences decisions and opinion. Especially with new young people to an activity. When they are considering new equipment they will start with what is fresh in their mind, and since all of the equipment is so close in quality and functionality - whatever they like first they will tend to stick with. And once someone has made up their mind, it is difficult to change it. The marketing industry definitely uses this with appealing to someone's "hero" in the applicable sport. I see it all the time. Whatever is hot becomes the thing to get - you get the right person behind a product and it will have an impact over an entire society.

Of course, as one gets older and more experienced, this almost becomes a non-factor, but then again the old-timers are then called rigid in their old ways, unable to look at things differently. Turn about is definitely fair play when one goes from being the new young kid on the scene wanting to try out new ideas and follow fresh, young stars versus those old rigid old-timers that seem stuck in their ways talking about old-time hero's and when things really where tough. Oh, the years fly by so very fast.

I agree to you...up to a point. I may be in my 60s, but I am not "stuck" in my ways. I do my best to keep an open mind. How can you learn or grow otherwise?

Endorsements have never swayed me to purchase a particular product. What sways me is performance, quality, and price. Be it clothes, clubs, and the like.

For example, I can go on line, or a place like Marshall's, and get good quality name brand golf clothes for a fraction of the cost...I don't mind that they are last year's styles. Why pay $80 for a polo shirt?

Just because Jordan Spieth wears UA, or whoever wears or plays whatever, has no impact on what I purchase. However, endorsements must work, or companies wouldn't do them.

I am curious, are any of you folks swayed by endorsements? If so, why?

Not in the least. I purchase because I want and/or need something and not because of any ad.

Note that this goes for golf equipment and such. Not for food.

I cannot watch a DQ commercial and not have a craving for a hot fudge sundae. And next thing you know we are piling into the car to head out to get one. Can't help myself. Vanilla ice cream smothered in hot fudge with whipped cream and topped with a cherry. And as an additional treat a bit of hot caramel around the side.

Crap. Have to cut this post short. Heading out to get, um, gas. Yeah, that's it. I need gas. So gotta go get some....gas.

Sigh...

2017 Resolution not to eat as many junk food items has been a dismal failure.....

Do you happen to know a guy named Pavlov? If not, I can introduce you. :-)

If a corporation offers me an endorsement deal....yeah I might be swayed. Depends on the deal. I haven't been offered one yet.

That's a entire different kettle of fish. I hope you get offered one soon. :-)

Endorsements have never swayed me to purchase a particular product. What sways me is performance, quality, and price. Be it clothes, clubs, and the like.

For example, I can go on line, or a place like Marshall's, and get good quality name brand golf clothes for a fraction of the cost...I don't mind that they are last year's styles. Why pay $80 for a polo shirt?

Just because Jordan Spieth wears UA, or whoever wears or plays whatever, has no impact on what I purchase. However, endorsements must work, or companies wouldn't do them.

Not in the least. I purchase because I want and/or need something and not because of any ad.

I cannot watch a DQ commercial and not have a craving for a hot fudge sundae. And next thing you know we are piling into the car to head out to get one. Can't help myself. Vanilla ice cream smothered in hot fudge with whipped cream and topped with a cherry. And as an additional treat a bit of hot caramel around the side.

Crap. Have to cut this post short. Heading out to get, um, gas. Yeah, that's it. I need gas. So gotta go get some....gas.

Sigh...

2017 Resolution not to eat as many junk food items has been a dismal failure.....

So getting gas because you said crap or that's what DQ does to you? Or "gas" means junk food? Ah . . . .

When my wife and I were dating and we wanted to get away we said we were going for ice cream. Hmmmmm.

Of course I buy stuff I see the big boys are using. I want to try what works for them.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Sigh...

So getting gas because you said crap or that's what DQ does to you? Or "gas" means junk food? Ah . . . .

When my wife and I were dating and we wanted to get away we said we were going for ice cream. Hmmmmm.

Just when you were dating? No more ice cream?

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Everyone is swayed by marketing, movies, music, media to a degree - it is about creating a ground swell that slowly influences decisions and opinion. Especially with new young people to an activity. When they are considering new equipment they will start with what is fresh in their mind, and since all of the equipment is so close in quality and functionality - whatever they like first they will tend to stick with. And once someone has made up their mind, it is difficult to change it. The marketing industry definitely uses this with appealing to someone's "hero" in the applicable sport. I see it all the time. Whatever is hot becomes the thing to get - you get the right person behind a product and it will have an impact over an entire society.

Of course, as one gets older and more experienced, this almost becomes a non-factor, but then again the old-timers are then called rigid in their old ways, unable to look at things differently. Turn about is definitely fair play when one goes from being the new young kid on the scene wanting to try out new ideas and follow fresh, young stars versus those old rigid old-timers that seem stuck in their ways talking about old-time hero's and when things really where tough. Oh, the years fly by so very fast.

I agree to you...up to a point. I may be in my 60s, but I am not "stuck" in my ways. I do my best to keep an open mind. How can you learn or grow otherwise?

I totally agree with you - I'll likely be a rebel to the norm as they lay me down to rest. It was a generalization, but at some point we all start digging in our heels if we are not careful to stay open minded.

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

I totally agree with you - I'll likely be a rebel to the norm as they lay me down to rest. It was a generalization, but at some point we all start digging in our heels if we are not careful.

True, and as a generalization you are most likely correct.

If a company offers me a sponsorship, or an endorsement deal, and it fits with A) my actual goals in regards to need to obtain one and B) my comfort with having that brand associated with *me*, then I'll probably take it and become their shill.

I'd hope my performance with the brand or as a spokesperson for the brand wouldn't breed blind loyalty from my family or close friends, but it does. Often.

The more success, the more people want to 'be like ___'. Look at the run on Amino Vital towels a few years ago.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Sigh...

Just when you were dating? No more ice cream?

Good one!

I don't wear jogger's and high tops, not because of Rickie Fowler. I don't wear them because the pencil neck kid next door, who likes to ask us 30 something neighbors to buy him beer, wears them.

Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff, 5 Wood 19 stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 19 Hybrid stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 4-PW
Ping Glide 50 SS
Cleveland CG16 , 56
Wilson Staff Grant Park Putter

If a company offers me a sponsorship, or an endorsement deal, and it fits with A) my actual goals in regards to need to obtain one and B) my comfort with having that brand associated with *me*, then I'll probably take it and become their shill.

I'd hope my performance with the brand or as a spokesperson for the brand wouldn't breed blind loyalty from my family or close friends, but it does. Often.

The more success, the more people want to 'be like ___'. Look at the run on Amino Vital towels a few years ago.

I was offered one and turned it down...politely.

Endorsement deals are marketing. We may think that marketing/advertising doesn't affect us but it does. It may be a small amount, but each time we see KPMG on Phil's hat it sticks with us and cannot help but either consciously or unconsciously affect us in some way. It is absolutely a fact that endorsement deals help sell product. Nike sure thought so for how much money they gave Tiger to wear a little swoosh.

That one worked so well that they don't make clubs any more and I don't really know what KPMG do to tell you the truth. Banking? Accountancy? Nothing that is going to impact my life.

As a long time Wilson Staff player and Ebay ho I'd say that endorsements have no impact on my life.

But you've heard of KPMG, are familiar with the name.... Can you name their 3 competitors? No?

That's marketing. I get you have no idea what they do or what they sell but you know the name... like you previously knew Bearing Point (whom sponsored Phil back in the 90's and I believe was rolled into KPMG). But Deloitte, EY and PwC don't roll off the toungue as comfortably as KPMG...

Marketing impacts everyone. Even if the ones who claim it doesn't. If you are at Ross or TJ Max and are shopping for polos. You see a rack of all $25 shirts. You like 2 equally. One is Under Armor, one is that generic PGA brand.. which one are you going to purchase.

I would venture to guess 80% in that scenario end up buying the UA.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

The topic will face WRX poster bias for sure..... Most of the golfers in the world who are not posters here or on MGS or the like do not pay so much attention to golf clubs, balls, accessories, and clothing.

So, to that end, many of us are much more into finer details in seeing the what the pros use. For example, there are virtually no commercials on TV for shaft lines and gloves, few more for grips, and just a few more for shoes.

So, I may actually be persuaded when choosing my next shaft choice in a set of irons with the research of posts and pics from online that have pros playing said shaft line - usually not endorsed. But, I get the assist of a sway, due to compulsive following of this babble we have created in these threads - the pro does virtually nothing but play the game! :tongue:

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

Endorsement deals are marketing. We may think that marketing/advertising doesn't affect us but it does. It may be a small amount, but each time we see KPMG on Phil's hat it sticks with us and cannot help but either consciously or unconsciously affect us in some way. It is absolutely a fact that endorsement deals help sell product. Nike sure thought so for how much money they gave Tiger to wear a little swoosh.

That one worked so well that they don't make clubs any more and I don't really know what KPMG do to tell you the truth. Banking? Accountancy? Nothing that is going to impact my life.

As a long time Wilson Staff player and Ebay ho I'd say that endorsements have no impact on my life.

But you've heard of KPMG, are familiar with the name.... Can you name their 3 competitors? No?

That's marketing. I get you have no idea what they do or what they sell but you know the name... like you previously knew Bearing Point (whom sponsored Phil back in the 90's and I believe was rolled into KPMG). But Deloitte, EY and PwC don't roll off the toungue as comfortably as KPMG...

Marketing impacts everyone. Even if the ones who claim it doesn't. If you are at Ross or TJ Max and are shopping for polos. You see a rack of all $25 shirts. You like 2 equally. One is Under Armor, one is that generic PGA brand.. which one are you going to purchase.

I would venture to guess 80% in that scenario end up buying the UA.

This I agree with and is probably put forward better that I did in my first post. No self respecting Wrx'r is going to admit that he or she was drawn into a purchase by someone else endorsing a product but it is in fact exactly what happens at lease some of the time. Why else would every professional sports player on TV be plastered with advertising? How many of us have $500 shafts in our $500 drivers? Did we really do that because it's so much better than OEM, or did we do it because we would look that much cooler to our peers? (who just so happen to be endorsing said setup). Is a Graphite Design Tour AD shaft really going to make us longer or do we just want to put it in our signature lines?

I'm totally not trying to be a hard-case or start a fight and I apologize if that's how I'm coming across, I just think that if we are really being honest with ourselves we should admit that branding is usually a very important part of our decision making process - whether we realize it or not.

Directly no. Feels good, looks good, works well, I might put it in the bag. I suppose endorsements give the product credibility and perhaps we wouldn't hear about the product otherwise, but I make my own decisions. For example if a pro hates a prototype, it might not be available to the general public.

Lamkin Crossline - my favorite golf product ever

UW Huskies

If enough charisma is there with someone for example Micheal Jackson and Pepsi caused a huge boost for Pepsi.

Tiger woods and Nike I am sure cause a boon also.

PXG recently signed a few names and likely target the Asian market mainly.

Golf there is a bit different with gear and household names.

Nah I buy whats functional for me and the style I like. Now and then I bring out the Batman suit.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

Three little words--Nike Air Jordan's. There's a study in whether endorsements are effective.

Too true that. People were getting mugged over those shoes.

If enough charisma is there with someone for example Micheal Jackson and Pepsi caused a huge boost for Pepsi.

Tiger woods and Nike I am sure cause a boon also.

PXG recently signed a few names and likely target the Asian market mainly.

Golf there is a bit different with gear and household names.

Nah I buy whats functional for me and the style I like. Now and then I bring out the Batman suit.

Can you post a picture of the Bat Mobile? :-)

For some golfers they are buying hope more than anything else.

We are all buying hope, it's essencial to golf. Nobody buys a new set thinking they're going to underperform. Golf is too hard and cruel to survive without a bit of hope on our new set, our next lesson, our next round, our next shot.

I think endorsements work. To what extent, who knows. But there was a stretch where every junior golfer I saw was dressed in puma gear head to toe and many had Cobra gear in their bags. That's undoubtedly what Fowler brought to the table. Me personally, if I see a piece of equipment spreading like wild fire on the tour I'll add to my list of stuff to try the next time demo day comes around. From there, it has to perform in order to get my dollars. So I think this kind of stuff helps to get a foot in the door, and then beyond that a certain percentage of those that start out as interested parties end up as customers. Now does the return on investment when someone signs Rory or Tiger for example justify the cost of the endorsement deal? That's obviously what we aren't privy to.

Silverbulletts and huskydawg are on the right track. While there are some who will or will not buy a product strictly because the brand is associated with an endorser who the like/don't like, the strategies behind sponsored personalities are much more vague.

The repetitive, cumulative impressions (views) of a logo are where the value lies...two examples:

1) TaylorMade. When they came out with the white woods for the first time they called it an "alignment" or visual focus aid or something. But there were internal reports leaked that it was more so about the visual effect of seeing all the white woods on tv. Then Nike followed with the red (then blue) clubs...etc. It had (still has) very strong opinions from some golfers. They lost some business for sure from people who don't like the look of a white wood. But their clubs stood out and were easily recognizable. This is not a case study on a specific player endorsement, but shows the power of impressions.

2) Matsuyama and Lexus. He has his fans, but lots of people (in the US) don't especially root for him. He's Japanese and so is Lexus...I get the connection. But the way his shirt so prominently features the Lexus logo adds up with all the air time he receives from his recent play. Not a lot of people (stateside) will likely be buying a Lexus specifically because Matsuyama endorses them. But the subliminal, unconscious effect of having the logo shoved down your throat is very real.

Now, the dangerous thing is if you pick an endorser that people genuinely dislike, the association of the brand to that person could work against you.

People will say they're their own person and aren't swayed, etc. - I believe that is how they consider their purchasing behavior. But, there is a lot of research, science, etc. done by a lot of people much smarter than me that shows the indirect value of this type of marketing.

If anything, I'd say I pay more attention to the lack of endorsements. If players are playing something that's not part of their contract, I'd say that speaks a lot louder than what they're paid to play.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

For clubs I would say I'm not tremendously swayed by what a pro might play. Clothing however, I think I'm a little more swayed by. If I see something a pro is wearing on TV and I like the look, or the color combinations, I think that gets logged into the memory banks for the next time I'm in the pro shop buying.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

A counterpoint to Air Jordan is TW golf shoes. Not being a cognoscenti, I guess Air Jordans are a good basketball shoe, and have considerable cachet with kids who care about the latest and greatest. I don't know anyone who owns a pair of TW's, and where I play, Ecco's are the upper end shoe of choice. Phil and KPMG is different, those who need one of the big four know KPMG. They pay Phil to do meet and greet events and corporate outings with major players in that atmosphere.