Monterey trip April 7-9 going as a single and need help

SteveL1

My wife has a three day conference in Monterey the first week of April and I plan on playing all three days but will be there as a single. Would like to play Pebble and two others but unsure of which to pick as I've never been to the area. Current hdcp is 8 if that makes any difference. Any suggestions on courses, best way to get discounted rates, making reservations, etc., would be greatly appreciated. Staying at a conference center so lodging at Pebble is not an option but will have a rental car.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spyglass and Spanish Bay are worth playing, if you have never played out there before and you are willing to spend the money.

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I've played Pebble Beach three times in the past 12 years. The first time I had a booking. The second time as a single I checked in at the pro shop at first light, got lucky & was sent out with the 4th group. The last time in April 2014 a buddy & I phoned on a Monday evening & got the 2d tee time the next morning.

As mtufenk noted, you should check the resort's online availability calendar to see if the course is closed for a tournament or private function.

Your index is unimportant - it's not the Old Course at St Andrews. As long as you have the $, you'll play. (When you get to the gate at 17 Mile Drive, tell the guard you're playing at Pebble Beach & you won't have to pay the entry fee. In the morning, allow plenty of time to get to the pro shop because Monterey traffic in the past few years has gotten quite busy.)

Obviously, if you have the connections, Cypress Point & the Monterey Peninsula Country Club (Shore) are considered among the best courses in the US.

If you're like the rest of us, Spyglass Hill & Spanish Bay are the next best options. (Personally I would pick the newly renovated Poppy Hills over Spanish Bay.)

Bayonet & Black Horse are very good courses just up the road in Seaside, & inexpensive if booked on Golfnow.

My wife has a three day conference in Monterey the first week of April and I plan on playing all three days but will be there as a single. Would like to play Pebble and two others but unsure of which to pick as I've never been to the area. Current hdcp is 8 if that makes any difference. Any suggestions on courses, best way to get discounted rates, making reservations, etc., would be greatly appreciated. Staying at a conference center so lodging at Pebble is not an option but will have a rental car.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Add pasa & spy. I enjoyed them more pebble. Pasa is worth the 60 min drive. It's supposed to be great shape in April for their annual college tourney. Greens should be around 13, which is scary considering they are the most undulating greens I've ever seen. I paid $225 for spy ncga rate instead of $395. I don't think they have ncga discounts in April. If you want a caddie at pebble or apt request Casey boyns

Concur with Spyglass, my son's all time favorite course and he has gotten to play some beauties.. Each hole is different so you really have to think your way around. Bayonet and Blackhorse are nice also and less costly. I'd skip Spanish Bay, have not seen Poppy since it has been redone but its getting great reviews.. NCGA definitely discounts poppy.

Check the aeriation schedule for the resort courses, it's possible it could work to your benefit.

I had been working with one of the resort agents (who was very good by the way) and had finally decided there was no way to justify the hotel cost. I told him we were just going to try to get on by calling each day. He actually called me back a few days later and said that the days of our trip coincided with when they were punching greens. Because they punched in the afternoon he said we could make a tee time for the morning without the hotel stay. It really worked out well for us, we had the first time of the day. The only drawback was we had hoped to play Spyglass on a replay discount that afternoon but they punched both courses that day so the second round was out.

It's worth checking into.

And I would play Pasatiempo also.

For the people suggesting Pasatiempo keep in mind it's a 45 minute drive from Monterey proper, even more so if you get stuck in Moss Landing traffic.

Spanish Bay is garbage...

I say Bayo and Blackhorse or Poppy are good options. Also for sure you have to play Pacific Grove too one afternoon. You can usually get a pretty decent deal on Golf Now

Call Pebble a few weeks out. I called two weeks ahead of me being in the area to accompany my wife during her conference, and they booked me in advance. The situation for me was that the resort was hosting a large group that was not playing golf, so the tee sheet was more open than usual.

I concur with the others: Pasatiempo is my favorite course and Poppy Hills is worth playing. My logistics have never allowed me to try Bayonet / Blackhorse for full disclosure.

Would it help to have a NCGA membership? Have heard that most of those courses offer some discounts. Obviously would only be using it for this trip unless it would also help with a Palm Springs trip planned for next November.

NCGA usually have discounts June/July and Jan. You can make a reservation for Pebble 24 hours in advance if you're not staying on property. I would also play Spyglass and Poppy Hills. If you have an NCGA membership you can play Poppy Hills for $72 Monday thru Thursday and bring a guest for $102. Friday thru Sunday $100 and guest $130, the public rate is $225.

• 2 weeks later...

To my surprise, I was able to book a tee time for April 7th at Pebble by calling this morning. The gentleman helping me said that they normally required calling the day ahead but that they had very few rooms available during my time of stay so he could book a time this far out. Actually gave me a couple of times to choose from on Fri, Sat & Sun. Very stoked about knowing that I will be able to get on Pebble in advance so I can lock in times at other courses.

What is an appropriate amount tip your caddie over the $80 fee?

Was able to book a time at Bayonet and Poppy Hills. Blackhorse was booked the only days I had available.

Poppy Hills said that they are cart path only. Is that going to be an issue? Would prefer not to carry and they sad they didn't have caddies on site but could have one brought in. What would you do as I've never been there before?

it's great you have a tee time at Pebble Beach weeks in advance. (You may want to check about the rain check policy - my friends have said that there are no rain checks except for lightning or snow.)

I played Poppy Hills one month ago & walked. Monterey has had a lot of rain in the past few months, but the course was in great condition. I don't think the cart paths are unduly far from the fairways. If you walk your home course, you can likely walk Poppy with a pushcart. (The pro shop offered a caddie, but I declined.)

Bayonet was in fine shape as well.

I will be headed to the same area in two and a half weeks. Del Monte GC would be the quickest escape from the conference I will be attending. Can anyone tell me if it is worth playing?

No. Driving about 10 minutes up the 1 will get you to Bayonet, which can be had for the same price on GolfNow.

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

Was able to book a time at Bayonet and Poppy Hills. Blackhorse was booked the only days I had available.

Poppy Hills said that they are cart path only. Is that going to be an issue? Would prefer not to carry and they sad they didn't have caddies on site but could have one brought in. What would you do as I've never been there before?

I would second the pushcart rental. You do NOT want to do cart path only without a caddie.

If you can swing 36 in one day, I'd do Black Horse in the afternoon after your Bayonet round. There's no way that you wouldn't be able to get onto either course in the afternoon, especially when we gain back that hour and it stays light longer into the evening.

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

Wish I could do Blackhorse after Bayonet but have dinner plans with the wife and the earliest I could get on Bayonet was 10:00. Tried to get on Blackhorse Sun morning but all times are blocked until noon and we have plans for the afternoon and evening so Poppy Hils at 8:50AM had to do. After being with the same woman for 40+ years, I've learned that I really don't want to give her any reason to start looking for a replacement. I know most wives would frown on spending about a grand on three rounds of golf, but she didn't bat an eye. Definitely a keeper!

Thanks for the push cart recommendation. Will definitely do that.

I will be headed to the same area in two and a half weeks. Del Monte GC would be the quickest escape from the conference I will be attending. Can anyone tell me if it is worth playing?

No. Driving about 10 minutes up the 1 will get you to Bayonet, which can be had for the same price on GolfNow.

I agree 100% with PepsiDuck. Bayonet is close enough and GolfNow is the way to go. Del Monte is NOT worth what they charge.

To my surprise, I was able to book a tee time for April 7th at Pebble by calling this morning. The gentleman helping me said that they normally required calling the day ahead but that they had very few rooms available during my time of stay so he could book a time this far out. Actually gave me a couple of times to choose from on Fri, Sat & Sun. Very stoked about knowing that I will be able to get on Pebble in advance so I can lock in times at other courses.

SteveL and any one else who has booked Pebble without staying at the resort, did you say anything special to get them to give you a tee time? I've called twice in the past week trying to get a tee time as a single and both times they said I had to call the day before. I'll be in SF for work two weeks in the next month and would love to tack on a day to go to Pebble, but don't want to schedule my flights without the round booked. Wondering if I need to know a special password or sprinkle some fairy dust.

SteveL and any one else who has booked Pebble without staying at the resort, did you say anything special to get them to give you a tee time? I've called twice in the past week trying to get a tee time as a single and both times they said I had to call the day before. I'll be in SF for work two weeks in the next month and would love to tack on a day to go to Pebble, but don't want to schedule my flights without the round booked. Wondering if I need to know a special password or sprinkle some fairy dust.

I think it really depends on the time of year and the number of open rooms at the resort. I looked into it a few years ago (in March/April), and they were offering me a tee time a month in advance w/o the resort stay.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Too lazy to call the reservation line. Anybody know if one can book a round in advance on Spyglass or Spanish without staying in the resort? I know PB requires a stay to get a tee time more than 24 hours in advance.

I have no problem dropping $500 to play PB, but shelling out a minimum of $695 for a room that I'll be in only to sleep rubs me the wrong way.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0