2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2017 Valspar Championship at Palm Harbor

NaBUru38

Both guys made mistakes down the finish. At the end Hadwin came out on top. Not sure Cantlay's handshake makes him look very gracious. Competitive or not its tough to win out there and he had a great week to get his status and a big paycheck.

Sure he will have some regrets.

what does he have to be gracious about ? he just gave the tournament away... it was his to lose if he gets up and down from both bunkers... He was mad... at himself... Im sure he gave a congradulations of some sort... but a guy who loses doesnt have to smile and pretend to be happy about giving one away.... and before you say something about him having it to lose listen to Hadwins after round comments.. he said himself he hated to win it when the other guy "makes a bogey".... which means i wish i could have won it outright , not had the other guy fumble on the 1 yard line....

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The awkwardness of that handshake...

Cantlay is simply something of an awkward dude from what I've seen of him, and that wasn't much different. Not exactly the life of the party type. I don't think the handshake had anything to do with him not being gracious, I think he's just socially awkward like that, and he was disappointed at himself at the same time.

The handshake was awkward. But Cantlay's post round interview was the thing that struck a nerve with me. I totally get that you are a competitor, its still the heat of the moment, and you just lost in a tough way. But man this is your 2nd tournament back, you just made enough money to secure your card (the biggest check of your professional life), and you are finally healthy! Give the camera a smile and say you are proud of the way you played! Instead you say that you took very little positives out of the week because you didn't win? Give me a break dude. You've got a long way to go before you can say its "winning or nothing." I like the guy's story but he's not going to win many fans with this attitude. Kid was an absolute robot all day long. We have too many guys on tour like that already.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

Both guys made mistakes down the finish. At the end Hadwin came out on top. Not sure Cantlay's handshake makes him look very gracious. Competitive or not its tough to win out there and he had a great week to get his status and a big paycheck.

what does he have to be gracious about ? he just gave the tournament away... it was his to lose if he gets up and down from both bunkers... He was mad... at himself... Im sure he gave a congradulations of some sort... but a guy who loses doesnt have to smile and pretend to be happy about giving one away.... and before you say something about him having it to lose listen to Hadwins after round comments.. he said himself he hated to win it when the other guy "makes a bogey".... which means i wish i could have won it outright , not had the other guy fumble on the 1 yard line....

Swings and roundabouts.

Hadwin doesn't come out of that swing on 16 and there is no drama.

I wouldn't think it's asking too much for anyone to say "Well played" when shaking hands with the tournament champion, regardless of how "socially awkward/single-minded" someone is.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

The handshake was awkward. But Cantlay's post round interview was the thing that struck a nerve with me. I totally get that you are a competitor, its still the heat of the moment, and you just lost in a tough way. But man this is your 2nd tournament back, you just made enough money to secure your card (the biggest check of your professional life), and you are finally healthy! Give the camera a smile and say you are proud of the way you played! Instead you say that you took very little positives out of the week because you didn't win? Give me a break dude. You've got a long way to go before you can say its "winning or nothing." I like the guy's story but he's not going to win many fans with this attitude. Kid was an absolute robot all day long. We have too many guys on tour like that already.

Respect that opinion. But as I said earlier. I'm now a fan because of it. Down to business is the type player I like.

There will be time for smiles and sense of humor after the win.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I followed him for the US Am final at Erin Hills in 2011. When he lost the match, he shook Kraft's hand and then sat very dejectedly in a cart and was driven back to the clubhouse. I saw much of the same yesterday. He's got some growing up to do, you can't expect to win everything, but that's what he was used to coming up. People act like he should be grateful to be there, and I agree he should, but this kid was Spieth before Spieth hit it big, shot 60 in a pro event as an amateur, he's got high expectations for himself. And we saw it in his game yesterday, he was hitting it well and hitting it long. Combine that with some awkwardness and you'll see stuff like this. I saw it many times growing up, some take longer to grow out of it than others. I don't think it's a pouting thing, but I think it's something that's going to be a major challenge for him in his pro career going forward.

what people dont get about guys like this ( bubba Horshell etc) is that when they are this way they are simply mad at themselves... Most actual players know this .. everyone cant be the type to thank someone else for beating them... you could likely have talked to him 2 hours later and found him in a place of reflection after the adrenaline wore off.... Ive often wodered if people who go into beast mode like that do so for a Physiological reason ? Overactive adrenaline production etc? ( i know nothing of the workings of such...just a curiosity i have)

Swings and roundabouts.

I wouldn't think it's asking too much for anyone to say "Well played" when shaking hands with the tournament champion, regardless of how "socially awkward/single-minded" someone is.

Ifs and Buts work both ways... that one swing wasnt all of it ...he would have lost by a stroke after starting the day with a big lead if Cantlay makes both sand saves coming in ... we all know that both those sand shots were easy , and most players out there would have converted at least 1 99.9% of the time and both would have been converted more than 75% ..we see it everyday .. Bottom line is Hadwin got ran down from hole 8 -on and was fortunate to get out with the win...

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

tournament was played for 4 rounds. Yes Cantlay finished strong but in the end it wasnt enough. Tony Finau had a great day also but was too far behind to catch up.

Hadwin didnh't collapse,

You want to talk about bad breaks. How about the 10th hole when his shot hit the flagstick about 3 inches from the bottom. An inch either way and he has a kick in birdie or even a jarred eagle. We can play the what ifs all day but at the end of the tournament one guy won and he played well all week to hold that trophy proudly.

In the bag (for now)

[color=#ff8c00]PIng G (Bubba Pink)[/color]
Taylormade M2 4 iron
Maxfli A 10 Tour limited 4- PW
Cleveland Rotex 2.0 Cb 50, 56, 60
[color=#ff0000]Scotty Cameron Circle T Golo[/color]

Respect that opinion. But as I said earlier. I'm now a fan because of it. Down to business is the type player I like.

There will be time for smiles and sense of humor after the win.

lol Come on Bro! He can't pull himself together for a few moments and congratulate his victorious opponent in any sincere way? (You understand a sincere congrats means "You played well and deserved to win" and not "Congrats on beating me. I'm happy that happened"?) Instead he just offers his hand as a matter of course and death stares Adam and not only is that acceptable, it's the reason you're a fan of the guy?

I bet you loved it when Drago Killed Apollo Creed.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

lol. Nope you guys are awesome as always. I just understand the "2nd place isn't good enough " thought process. Sometimes it is. But sometimes it isn't. But when you know you gave one away after a charge like that I just don't see how you smile. He shook his hand. You guys act as if he stormed off without giving a comment or a handshake to acknowledge victory ( or defeat depending on who you are taking about ).

This was two upstarts trading blows. Not two veteran major champs who have been friends for years. Totally different thought process in my opinion.

Edit. And I think maybe that's the disconnect. I doubt he thinks or thought hadwin " deserves to win". And I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking you were beat by someone you SHOULD have closed the door on. And not bein. Happy about that.

I agree he would be better served to hide those feelings. But I gt how hard that is for some who are that competitive and sure of themselves.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

tournament was played for 4 rounds. Yes Cantlay finished strong but in the end it wasnt enough. Tony Finau had a great day also but was too far behind to catch up.

Hadwin didnh't collapse,

You want to talk about bad breaks. How about the 10th hole when his shot hit the flagstick about 3 inches from the bottom. An inch either way and he has a kick in birdie or even a jarred eagle. We can play the what ifs all day but at the end of the tournament one guy won and he played well all week to hold that trophy proudly.

I never mentioned bad breaks. I mentioned lack of execution on two pretty simple sandies.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

what people dont get about guys like this ( bubba Horshell etc) is that when they are this way they are simply mad at themselves... Most actual players know this .. everyone cant be the type to thank someone else for beating them... you could likely have talked to him 2 hours later and found him in a place of reflection after the adrenaline wore off.... Ive often wodered if people who go into beast mode like that do so for a Physiological reason ? Overactive adrenaline production etc? ( i know nothing of the workings of such...just a curiosity i have)

Swings and roundabouts.

Ifs and Buts work both ways... that one swing wasnt all of it ...he would have lost by a stroke after starting the day with a big lead if Cantlay makes both sand saves coming in ... we all know that both those sand shots were easy , and most players out there would have converted at least 1 99.9% of the time and both would have been converted more than 75% ..we see it everyday .. Bottom line is Hadwin got ran down from hole 8 -on and was fortunate to get out with the win...

Exactly they work both way, that was the point. You're saying the rub of the green was all Hadwin's, when that simply isn't the case, if you have a sense of objectivity.

No shot is a gimme, but you are giving him a bunker shot as 99.9%, among other things? You make it sound like Cantlay shot as high a score as possible yesterday and should have been lower. What about those loose iron shots of Cantlay that fumbled forward and became birdies, instead of staying off the green, versus Hadwin almost jarring one for an eagle and instead having it shoot way away from the hole?

The "bottom line" is incredibly obvious, but I will repeat it: Adam Hadwin won a PGA tour event yesterday and Patrick Cantlay did not :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

lol. Nope you guys are awesome as always. I just understand the "2nd place isn't good enough " thought process. Sometimes it is. But sometimes it isn't. But when you know you gave one away after a charge like that I just don't see how you smile. He shook his hand. You guys act as if he stormed off without giving a comment or a handshake to acknowledge victory ( or defeat depending on who you are taking about ).

This was two upstarts trading blows. Not two veteran major champs who have been friends for years. Totally different thought process in my opinion.

Edit. And I think maybe that's the disconnect. I doubt he thinks or thought hadwin " deserves to win". And I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking you were beat by someone you SHOULD have closed the door on. And not bein. Happy about that.

I agree he would be better served to hide those feelings. But I gt how hard that is for some who are that competitive and sure of themselves.

Not sure you can say he should have closed the door on. He never had the lead but for a moment when he shared it. I can t see how he can think he should have won. He played very well and came up a bit short at the end.

In the bag (for now)

[color=#ff8c00]PIng G (Bubba Pink)[/color]
Taylormade M2 4 iron
Maxfli A 10 Tour limited 4- PW
Cleveland Rotex 2.0 Cb 50, 56, 60
[color=#ff0000]Scotty Cameron Circle T Golo[/color]

"Well we're two young guys trying to establish ourselves out here and therefore acting like a bitter sore loser is totally appropriate"

The whole "2nd isn't good enough" mentality is admirable as long as that's internalized and used as motivation for yourself to get better. You're using it as a reason for Cantlay to act like Hadwin stole his trophy.

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Checkout this link. Does it not contradict what you guys are saying. Quote from hadwin sounds as if he's surprised there wasn't at least a playoff and cantlays quote does not sound negative. Speaks of what he takes positive and where his game is. Is there some nasty footage of cantlay I'm not aware of ?

Don't mistake my opinion though. Hadwin deserved to win or have a Vance to win because of his play all week. But no way to say that coming in with a 4 shot lead and only shooting even par in the 4 th round to eventually win by 1 isn't " spitting the bit " . At least somewhat.

That's either low expectations or leaking oil coming in. I suspect expectations too low as he keeps saying " I just want a chance at it comin down the stretch. Which is crazy with a 4 shot cushion coming into the 4 th round and the only one chasing is another rookie.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/grades-adam-hadwin-wins-first-pga-tour-tournament-at-valspar-championship/amp/

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

No, Nothing he "said" can possibly contradict my opinion of what I saw him do. Which is act like a little B wben shaking the victors hand.

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

"Well we're two young guys trying to establish ourselves out here and therefore acting like a bitter sore loser is totally appropriate"

The whole "2nd isn't good enough" mentality is admirable as long as that's internalized and used as motivation for yourself to get better. You're using it as a reason for Cantlay to act like Hadwin stole his trophy.

No I agree with you. Im just trying to explain what he's likely thinking. I don't excuse over the top bad behavior. This really wasn't that. He could have been better though. I'm sure he will learn from it when he watches himself.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Last week Justin Thomas was lambasted on here for showing too much emotion in Mexico.

This week Patrick Cantlay gets it for not showing enough.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

If you mean the self absorbed, entitled,classless dbaggery of millennials shows up in a variety of ways then I'll agree.

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Last week Justin Thomas threw his driver into a crowd, only to later excuse himself by saying he couldn't help it because he's an emotional player. I wish an emotional spectator would have thrown it right back at him.

I think a lot of people were rooting for Cantlay and even a 2nd place finish during these cercumstances could have got him into the hearts of tons of people if they knew the story, but he kinda soured that for many. He still didn't throw a hard, pointy object into a crowd though, so he has that going for him.

Can you explain why the "second isn't good enough" mentality has to be internalized? Is it to not offend society's low achievers who were not good enough to do the things Cantlay does? Don't tell me he should be grateful for the money, because money is clearly not Cantlay's motivation. He came to win and lost. He's pissed. Get over it.

Can you explain why the "second isn't good enough" mentality has to be internalized? Is it to not offend society's low achievers who were not good enough to do the things Cantlay does? Don't tell me he should be grateful for the money, because money is clearly not Cantlay's motivation. He came to win and lost. He's pissed. Get over it.

You think either of these guys are low-achievers and were playing that game for the money?

kane+toews+olympics.jpeg

F.T.

You think either of these guys are low-achievers and were playing that game for the money?

kane+toews+olympics.jpeg

No I do not. That's great that they can play a hard fought match and be nice and respectful to eachother afterwards. Is it all just about being nice and respectful to your fellow man after a tough match so the world can be a better place? Serious question. I just wonder if that's the actual reason people get so mad about these situations or if there are some other darker reasons.

No. He came to win, and got beat. He can't stifle his inner b**** for 30 seconds to offer a proper congratulations and you're telling me to get over it? lol Good lord.

"Not to offend society's low achievers?" WTF are you even talking about? And money "clearly isn't" his motivation? give me a break.

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I think he probably suffers from the golfer equivalent to resting b**** face. Call it resting sore loser face. He just naturally looks like he could be Patrick Reed's mean kid brother or something. He's probably just kind of intense.

its funny you bring up Reed.. i made the same comparison to a friend yesterday ... and i added " now everyone loves Reed".... now i know literally everyone doesnt ..but he sure has a ton of fans after the ryder cup... but to start with he was crucified for his elitist attitude... give it time Cantlay will likely be the same

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

kane+toews+olympics.jpeg

you will have to tell me who they are 1st...

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Can I get a video of the handshake?

amen.. i have only seen it the 1 time live and cannot find it to view again ....

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock