2017 World Golf Championships - Match Play

NaBUru38

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I feel terrible for JD. Cancer sucks and I hope he spends some quality time with his mother.

But I wholeheartedly agree with the post above. If this was something unexpected that he was just notified of, I could understand trying to play. But he just took three rounds in a WGC event and a spot in the tourney away from Finau and didn't even finish a single round. If Day finished at least one round, I think I'd be more compassionate, but if I were Finau, I'd probably be pretty pissed.

Pure class from Tony Finau. As I correctly assumed, he's not pissed (shocker).

yLbcjnK.png

First off, I feel terrible for JD. Cancer sucks and I hope he spends some quality time with his mother.

But I wholeheartedly agree with the post above. If this was something unexpected that he was just notified of, I could understand trying to play. But he just took three rounds in a WGC event and a spot in the tourney away from Finau and didn't even finish a single round. If Day finished at least one round, I think I'd be more compassionate, but if I were Finau, I'd probably be pretty pissed.

yLbcjnK.png

Its a no brainer what else would he say?

She has terminal lung cancer. Maybe some of you want to get the facts before jumping on a guy. A**holes indeed.

Relax chief. Guy withdraws after a history of constant illnesses and aches/pains. Wasn't crazy to conclude it was more of the same.

Thoughts are with Day though, sad story.

I agree with you. Regardless of who put it into words, and who didn't, I think many of us had an "again?" thought when we heard he'd forfeited his match. Doesn't make you a horrible person to expect more of what you've already seen.

Yeah but its not as fun as standing on a soap box showing how morally superior you are for not having the same thought everybody in this forum did when we hear he WD again.

yLbcjnK.png

Did you really expect him to come out and rip Day or something?

She has terminal lung cancer. Maybe some of you want to get the facts before jumping on a guy. A**holes indeed.

Relax chief. Guy withdraws after a history of constant illnesses and aches/pains. Wasn't crazy to conclude it was more of the same.

I agree with you. Regardless of who put it into words, and who didn't, I think many of us had an "again?" thought when we heard he'd forfeited his match. Doesn't make you a horrible person to expect more of what you've already seen.

You see ggr, I did not think "again".

Because the notion of lazily judging Jason Day, a top performer via the highest level of commitment to his job, by people watching things on TV is absurd.

Because the notion of judging Jason Day, a top performer via the highest level of commitment to his job, by people watching things on TV is absurd.

Respectfully,

What a load of self important look at me sanctimonious horse s***

You're better than that and yes you do judge people all the time in all walks of life, its human nature. We all wish Jasons mom the best but jesus christ there is no one in here who didnt say what is it now when the WD happened. It doesnt make anyone an a****** for thinking it. When your hero Tiger WD next time guess what it will happen again, its normal when they WD so often.

Because the notion of judging Jason Day, a top performer via the highest level of commitment to his job, by people watching things on TV is absurd.

Respectfully,

What a load of self important look at me sanctimonious horse s***

You're better than that and yes you do judge people all the time in all walks of life, its human nature. We all wish Jasons mom the best but jesus christ there is no one in here who didnt say what is it now when the WD happened. It doesnt make anyone an a****** for thinking it. When your hero Tiger WD next time guess what it will happen again, its normal when they WD so often.

Rofl.

"Cmon, youre being very undude" ; )

Truth is, I never judged JDs WDs. How could I?

And in the context of his proven track record and what was required to attain it, I actually think the idea that people do is a joke.

Rofl.

And in the context of his proven track record and what was required to attain it, I actually think the idea that people do is a joke.

It's not judging. Day has something to say about what he's dealing with at more events than he doesn't. He has a cold, his kids have a cold, his back hurts, the temperature isn't right, he's being doing two-a-days, etc. He talks about this stuff - it isn't really debatable.

When he withdraws, people naturally think it's health related. Why wouldn't they? You can't talk about your health constantly like Day does and then get mad when people make assumptions. I don't understand how that's remotely offensive or inappropriate.

Turns out he withdrew for a different reason. So, the people who made assumptions were wrong. I don't see why that's a big deal.

I listened to PGA tour radio at work today and must have heard no less than half a dozen times "Well that's the beauty of match play."

Turn on the TV when I get home and within 5 minutes hear "Yep, that's the beauty of match play."

Someone make it stop.

Golf announcers running with narratives is absolutely brutal. I think the execs tell them to treat it like radio and assume a new person is tuning in every 15 minutes and repeat the same thing.

Unrelated, but does anyone know how old Jordan Spieth is?

If he was so worried about her and her surgery why did you even tee it up today? Give another guy a shot at the tournament. Tiger drama Woods 2.0

They should let Finau take the L for the day and play out Day's remainder matches.

This is an excellent idea. Hopefully they make this happen.

But, you can't replace the 3rd ranked player with the 70th. That's unfair to the field.

In a best case scenario, Jason would've WD before the brackets were announced allowing the field to be seeded accordingly.

Rofl.

It's not judging. Day has something to say about what he's dealing with at more events than he doesn't. He has a cold, his kids have a cold, his back hurts, the temperature isn't right, he's being doing two-a-days, etc. He talks about this stuff - it isn't really debatable.

When he withdraws, people naturally think it's health related. Why wouldn't they? You can't talk about your health constantly like Day does and then get mad when people make assumptions. I don't understand how that's remotely offensive or inappropriate.

Turns out he withdrew for a different reason. So, the people who made assumptions were wrong. I don't see why that's a big deal.

The deal is that people were deriding him for playing as some sort of selfish, thoughtless act. They made a stupid assumption and his press conference refuted it immediately. Instead of eating some humble pie, they seem to be doubling down. Pretty childish.

Rofl.

I agree. It would be stupid to judge his situation relative to yours.

But, you can't replace the 3rd ranked player with the 70th. That's unfair to the field.

But why was Finau onsite, if not to try to fill in for a late scratch? (Had to be to try to play, right?)

Because JD is too high a seed, Finau couldn't be eligible to replace him? (Very unlikely)

Would they have rejiggered the pairings if JD withdrew before the round? (Maybe?)

I don't know these answers, that's why I'm asking.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Sounds like Finau's got more class in his little finger than some of the peanuts in this thread have in their whole bodies.

I heard an interview with him on PGA Tour radio a couple of days ago. Seems like a very likable young man. A friend of mine went to university in Utah and worked at the club Tony Finau belonged to. Said he was a bit quiet, but a very nice guy.

But why was Finau onsite, if not to try to fill in for a late scratch? (Had to be to try to play, right?)

Because JD is too high a seed, Finau couldn't be eligible to replace him? (Very unlikely)

Would they have rejiggered the pairings if JD withdrew before the round? (Maybe?)

Agreed. 1st alternate should be on-site until told he wasn't getting in.

I do think seeding imbalance affected the tours decision. If Tony Finau, instead of Jason Day, had entered the field prior to the brackets being announced, we would be looking at completely different brackets. If not, why wasn't Tony plugged into Jason's spot? imo, it wouldn't have been a level playing field.

Agreed. 1st alternate should be on-site until told he wasn't getting in.

I do think seeding imbalance affected the tours decision. If Tony Finau, instead of Jason Day, had entered the field prior to the brackets being announced, we would be looking at completely different brackets. If not, why wasn't Tony plugged into Jason's spot? imo, it wouldn't have been a level playing field.

Brackets were a partial blind draw. It did not go off of a straight seeding via the OWGR. Top 16 in the OWGR determined the top seeds in each bracket of 4 with the remaining spots in each done via a blind draw.

Are people seriously upset with Jason Day not giving up his spot prior to the tournament? Jesus, tough crowd. He obviously thought he could compete this week and found out 7 holes in that he couldn't. There isn't a script to follow when dealing with all the emotions when loved one is diagnosed with cancer, especially one this serious. Cut him some slack.

Will be interesting to see if the cream does in fact rise to the top.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Rofl.

The deal is that people were deriding him for playing as some sort of selfish, thoughtless act. They made a stupid assumption and his press conference refuted it immediately. Instead of eating some humble pie, they seem to be doubling down. Pretty childish.

This didnt happen.Suggesting he not play while he takes care of his family situation and give his spot up to someone whos life could be changed by a hot week is not deriding him.

I listened to PGA tour radio at work today and must have heard no less than half a dozen times "Well that's the beauty of match play."

Turn on the TV when I get home and within 5 minutes hear "Yep, that's the beauty of match play."

Someone make it stop.

Unrelated, but does anyone know how old Jordan Spieth is?

http://bfy.tw/AnmQ

Rofl.

This didnt happen.Suggesting he not play while he takes care of his family situation and give his spot up to someone whos life could be changed by a hot week is not deriding him.

Some clown called him Tiger drama Woods 2.0! The suggestion was that taking the spot was a selfish act whereas he was actually abiding by his Mum's wishes. That my friend is derision.

What happens to Day's future matches? Automatic wins?

Callaway GBB Epic SZ 10' - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15' - HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5
Taylormade SIM 3H - GD AD-DI 8x
Ping i(e1) 4-PW - Project X 6.0 
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08F, 54.08M, 60.04L - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 7