2017 World Golf Championships - Match Play

NaBUru38

I think you mean he took three rounds away from someone who did not qualify.

No, I think he meant that Finau would have loved to play. Not sure how you would dispute that seeing as how he showed up to the tournament site as an alternate when he could have been doing anything else....

Who wouldn't want the equivalent of a brand spanking new corvette just for showing up and someone withdrawing?

Agree. They would probably want the equivalent of a brand spanking new corvette even if they had qualified originally even if they had to WD.....

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he was so worried about her and her surgery why did you even tee it up today? Give another guy a shot at the tournament. Tiger drama Woods 2.0

First off, I feel terrible for JD. Cancer sucks and I hope he spends some quality time with his mother.

But I wholeheartedly agree with the post above. If this was something unexpected that he was just notified of, I could understand trying to play. But he just took three rounds in a WGC event and a spot in the tourney away from Finau and didn't even finish a single round. If Day finished at least one round, I think I'd be more compassionate, but if I were Finau, I'd probably be pretty pissed.

They should let Finau take the L for the day and play out Day's remainder matches.

This is an excellent idea. Hopefully they make this happen.

But, you can't replace the 3rd ranked player with the 70th. That's unfair to the field.

In a best case scenario, Jason would've WD before the brackets were announced allowing the field to be seeded accordingly.

It's perfectly fair. Finau fills in with an extreme disadvantage by automatically being down a point with only 2 matches left to play. It sucks, but at least he gets a shot. I agree, JD should have WD'd before it started so that the seeding could have been done properly.

If he was so worried about her and her surgery why did you even tee it up today? Give another guy a shot at the tournament. Tiger drama Woods 2.0

First off, I feel terrible for JD. Cancer sucks and I hope he spends some quality time with his mother.

But I wholeheartedly agree with the post above. If this was something unexpected that he was just notified of, I could understand trying to play. But he just took three rounds in a WGC event and a spot in the tourney away from Finau and didn't even finish a single round. If Day finished at least one round, I think I'd be more compassionate, but if I were Finau, I'd probably be pretty pissed.

They should let Finau take the L for the day and play out Day's remainder matches.

But, you can't replace the 3rd ranked player with the 70th. That's unfair to the field.

In a best case scenario, Jason would've WD before the brackets were announced allowing the field to be seeded accordingly.

It's perfectly fair. Finau fills in with an extreme disadvantage by automatically being down a point with only 2 matches left to play. It sucks, but at least he gets a shot. I agree, JD should have WD'd before it started so that the seeding could have been done properly.

agree. to those saying a replacement would be unfair to the field, wouldn't it be more unfair that the winner of Day's group has to play one less round than everyone else? physically that could be a big advantage to whoever wins that group by sunday.

Slo-mo video of Sergio's driver off the deck. Crazy!

https://twitter.com/...693097829351424

This is nuts, says something about high $ shafts for sure. I am not sure just any old shaft comes through that in one piece.

....and he hit that ball about 270. So much talent, get yo mind right. is this the first tourney with the Spider, or didn't he mangle one a while back?

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

strange how they picked the balls for the different pairings............gives much 'luck' factor who you are facing in the round robin format.

i like Paul Casey this week.

I like Paul Casey every week. Nice chap.

What happened between you two last week?

I'll get my coat.

you both must be talking about a different Paul Casey to that rude obnoxious g!t who plays golf on tour

i don't know any of these guys personally. He had early success, and then struggled mightily. seems to have found his game again, and is enjoying it.

oh get off your horse...........are you kidding me..................these guys are humans, not machines................cancer SUCKS!

Please, Day gets a pass. He tried, he couldn't block it out emotionally, so be it. He's top 3 in the World. Get off his back.

oh get off your horse...........are you kidding me..................these guys are humans, not machines................cancer SUCKS!

Please, Day gets a pass. He tried, he couldn't block it out emotionally, so be it. He's top 3 in the World. Get off his back.

I have to believe this isn't directed at me for suggesting a logical solution to an unfortunate situation...

But why was Finau onsite, if not to try to fill in for a late scratch? (Had to be to try to play, right?)

Because JD is too high a seed, Finau couldn't be eligible to replace him? (Very unlikely)

Would they have rejiggered the pairings if JD withdrew before the round? (Maybe?)

I don't know these answers, that's why I'm asking.

Agreed. 1st alternate should be on-site until told he wasn't getting in.

I do think seeding imbalance affected the tours decision. If Tony Finau, instead of Jason Day, had entered the field prior to the brackets being announced, we would be looking at completely different brackets. If not, why wasn't Tony plugged into Jason's spot? imo, it wouldn't have been a level playing field.

Brackets were a partial blind draw. It did not go off of a straight seeding via the OWGR. Top 16 in the OWGR determined the top seeds in each bracket of 4 with the remaining spots in each done via a blind draw.

Got it, mate. Thanks for the clarification.

Slo-mo video of Sergio's driver off the deck. Crazy!

https://twitter.com/...693097829351424

This is nuts, says something about high $ shafts for sure. I am not sure just any old shaft comes through that in one piece.

....and he hit that ball about 270. So much talent, get yo mind right. is this the first tourney with the Spider, or didn't he mangle one a while back?

That was really cool :)

Watch out at your local range this weekend, for driver heads and shafts flying all over the place.

Was was even cooler about that hole, was Lowry absolutely puring his 3W right past the ping after that and having a laugh about it.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I was there yesterday and witnessed some pretty awesome stuff:

Rory's drive on 12, I was down by where people lay up and all of the sudden there's his drive?! That was a yuge poke!!!

I followed the Lowry Garcia match, on 9 I witnessed that near eagle by Lowry, from the rough, prior to Garcia's flub into the water, then Garcia drops and almost holes out for par.

Garcia seemed peeved or bothered all day, almost like his concentration wasn't all there.

Snedeker, the 2 ball looked odd, but that' wasn't his biggest problem, his chipping was awful. (I say this fully knowing that there's significant ondulations on really fast greens).

I witnessed, heard and even smelled Spieth losing his mind on 16 and all of the air being let out the room, Austin's favorite son dropped his match, the humanity! Best part was his third shot hitting the metal railing waaay left of the green, CLANKpiiing.

Most impressive: Soren Kjeldsen just plain balling and withstanding a Rory 3 birdie charge with his own 4 birdie charge, including a near slam dunk ace at 17, I followed this match the most and he just held in there so tough. 409 drive on 12, 3 wood to almost reach green on 13, meh, here's little guy sticking it stiff on 14, 15, 16 and for good measure 17, see ya later Rors, thanks for the match.

Rory's mediocre (by tour standards) chip on 16 cost him the match, or at least a chance of seeing 18.

Oh, and for good measure, get Maltby out, dud, Notah was pretty cool.

Did anyone else see the clip of Bubba warming up on the range today. He was hitting 5 or 6 different colored balls. It looked like he robbed the local putt-putt.

There is a Club Champion next door - it's like he ran in and nicked their Volvik display ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

strange how they picked the balls for the different pairings............gives much 'luck' factor who you are facing in the round robin format.

i like Paul Casey this week.

I like Paul Casey every week. Nice chap.

What happened between you two last week?

I'll get my coat.

you both must be talking about a different Paul Casey to that rude obnoxious g!t who plays golf on tour

i don't know any of these guys personally. He had early success, and then struggled mightily. seems to have found his game again, and is enjoying it.

Is this a Paul Casey - nice or nasty thread? Marshals and volunteers I know have said that Casey has been thoroughly obnoxious....

Rory's drive on 12, I was down by where people lay up and all of the sudden there's his drive?! That was a yuge poke!!!

I followed the Lowry Garcia match, on 9 I witnessed that near eagle by Lowry, from the rough, prior to Garcia's flub into the water, then Garcia drops and almost holes out for par.

Garcia seemed peeved or bothered all day, almost like his concentration wasn't all there.

Snedeker, the 2 ball looked odd, but that' wasn't his biggest problem, his chipping was awful. (I say this fully knowing that there's significant ondulations on really fast greens).

I witnessed, heard and even smelled Spieth losing his mind on 16 and all of the air being let out the room, Austin's favorite son dropped his match, the humanity! Best part was his third shot hitting the metal railing waaay left of the green, CLANKpiiing.

Most impressive: Soren Kjeldsen just plain balling and withstanding a Rory 3 birdie charge with his own 4 birdie charge, including a near slam dunk ace at 17, I followed this match the most and he just held in there so tough. 409 drive on 12, 3 wood to almost reach green on 13, meh, here's little guy sticking it stiff on 14, 15, 16 and for good measure 17, see ya later Rors, thanks for the match.

Rory's mediocre (by tour standards) chip on 16 cost him the match, or at least a chance of seeing 18.

We must have been standing right next to each other on 9. I saw that lowry, garcia exchange as well. I don't know how, Lowry's ball didn't go in and Garcia's practice shot almost knocked it in. Was shocked to see Sergio flub that first one.

I didn't see Rory's drive on 12 but i did see DJ. I believe I let out an audible "Holy Sh*t". lol

We must have been standing right next to each other on 9. I saw that lowry, garcia exchange as well. I don't know how, Lowry's ball didn't go in and Garcia's practice shot almost knocked it in. Was shocked to see Sergio flub that first one.

I didn't see Rory's drive on 12 but i did see DJ. I believe I let out an audible "Holy Sh*t". lol

I heard DJ's drive on 12, me standing by the bunkers 360 yds away.

Phil on phire already.

GO SIR PHIL!!!

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

I have to believe this isn't directed at me for suggesting a logical solution to an unfortunate situation...

no, someone said Day 'should have' left before. He just gave up his #1 position. He was trying to block out his Mom's situation. He has a right to start the match. He has earned that right. For &$#@#$%^ sake, his MOM put him in this position to begin with. Last person to criticize on the PGA Tour is Mr. Jason Day.

I admit I'm a little slower than the average guy but this is difficult for me to figure out. Quite confusing in my opinion...anyone else? Maybe it's just me. And are there 4 players in one group?

D - Ping G400 10.5* - Diamana Blueboard
3 - Callaway X2 Hot 15* - Diamana Blueboard
5 - Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 19* - Diamana Blueboard
3i - Ping G410 Crossover 20* Evenflow
4-PW - Mizuno MP60 - DG S300
53* & 60* - Mizuno MP-T - DG S300
P - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossi

what did Soren shoot, 5 or 6 under? that's beats just about anyone, on any given day........

Very pleasant course to watch golf from, this Austin CC! The holes are very distinct on a very pleasant piece of countryside along the river and in the hilly ground along it. I have already forgot the holes on Bay Hill, but I did remember holes 9-18 on Austin from last year. DJ seems to be unbeatable. Maybe Norén will get some confidence playing in the US now. He hasn't really been able to put the fantastic play, from last year on the european tour, on display in the US this year, so far.

I admit I'm a little slower than the average guy but this is difficult for me to figure out. Quite confusing in my opinion...anyone else? Maybe it's just me. And are there 4 players in one group?

Think of it as NFL conferences, except there are 16 of them. Highest ranked player goes through in each to a straight KO bracket.

hope that was the correct American lingo. Its a stupid format to be honest, should just be the same as the amateur championships with 36 hole medal and then taking the top 32 if they so desperately want to seed it for the big players to be in on the weekend.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

What happens to Woodland match yesterday (which he won) now that he has withdrawn? Do all his games get disregarded from the ranking of the group including Grillo who got beat (what would happen normally when a football team folds over here)?

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

what did Soren shoot, 5 or 6 under? that's beats just about anyone, on any given day........

I don't know what he shot but I counted birdies last night and I had Soren with 7 Ana Rory with 6. Both played by far the best of any players I saw.