2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2017 World Golf Championships - Match Play

NaBUru38

I just saw Bello move an object (some other golf ball, not his) while in the hazard. Is there some kind of rule that says you can move a golf ball in a hazard?

An abandoned ball is a moveable obstruction. You may move a moveable obstruction in a hazard.

Can I abandon my ball and move it somewhere better and then play it?

Or is there some kind of penalty and what not?

That sounds like a great plan to me! :D

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw Bello move an object (some other golf ball, not his) while in the hazard. Is there some kind of rule that says you can move a golf ball in a hazard?

An abandoned ball is a moveable obstruction. You may move a moveable obstruction in a hazard.

Thanks, Kev. Its great to have a rules expert out here ; )

Thanks, Kev. Its great to have a rules expert out here ; )

LOL

Far from an expert, but pretty good and finding things in the book. I saw the issue earlier, and had to look it up. :read: :D :hi:

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

It must suck to have 500 people a day want some sort of interaction with you, knowing that if you're nice to 499 of them, the 500th is still going to be badmouthing you on the Internet. I'd get pretty jaded, pretty quickly.

Most of these players are perfectly nice people but to expect them to have time for everyone, every time, is just unreasonable. Spieth isn't uncool just because he spent a full day at the course, followed by 90 minutes of media explaining why his game isn't sharp and then just wants to get in his car and go home without a chat with the parking lot guy.

I was a bit more than just a "parking lot guy". The only thing preventing players from being bombarded in the parking lot as they walk to and from their car, player's clubhouse and driving range is a string. Many try to sneak in and can be bothersome to the players. Spieth also stated something along the lines of "just stay out of my way" to the Officer that was assigned to walk with him....as his personal protection. While we are assigned to protect him, that kind of comment makes some Officers think "F this guy, maybe I'll respond kind of slow when some anti-Spieth fan decides to attack him". Being a jerk to guys there to protect him is something only a handful do and he just happens to be one of them. Most of the guys realize what we're there for and appreciate that by saying hi, thanks, etc. Spieth doesn't even acknowledge their existence.

You have your opinion based on no personal experience, so I'll go ahead and maintain my opinion based personal experience.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

It must suck to have 500 people a day want some sort of interaction with you, knowing that if you're nice to 499 of them, the 500th is still going to be badmouthing you on the Internet. I'd get pretty jaded, pretty quickly.

Most of these players are perfectly nice people but to expect them to have time for everyone, every time, is just unreasonable. Spieth isn't uncool just because he spent a full day at the course, followed by 90 minutes of media explaining why his game isn't sharp and then just wants to get in his car and go home without a chat with the parking lot guy.

I was a bit more than just a "parking lot guy". The only thing preventing players from being bombarded in the parking lot as they walk to and from their car, player's clubhouse and driving range is a string. Many try to sneak in and can be bothersome to the players. Spieth also stated something along the lines of "just stay out of my way" to the Officer that was assigned to walk with him....as his personal protection. While we are assigned to protect him, that kind of comment makes some Officers think "F this guy, maybe I'll respond kind of slow when some anti-Spieth fan decides to attack him". Being a jerk to guys there to protect him is something only a handful do and he just happens to be one of them. Most of the guys realize what we're there for and appreciate that by saying hi, thanks, etc. Spieth doesn't even acknowledge their existence.

You have your opinion based on no personal experience, so I'll go ahead and maintain my opinion based personal experience.

Spieth also stated something along the lines of "just stay out of my way" to the Officer that was assigned to walk with him....as his personal protection.

"Stated something along the lines of" leaves a lot open to interpretation. I'm not buying this story.

Spieth also stated something along the lines of "just stay out of my way" to the Officer that was assigned to walk with him....as his personal protection.

"Stated something along the lines of" leaves a lot open to interpretation. I'm not buying this story.

That's good because I'm not necessarily trying to sell the story.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Anti spieth fan?

Slow to respond.

Im visualizing a disgruntled 9 year old running at jordan with a sharpie and security be like,

Ahhh, sorry jordan, you reap what you sow.

; )

What's everyone's final four prediction for Sunday?

Na

Rahm

Mickelson

DJ

It'd be cool to see a Rahm vs. DJ championship match

So Hatton lost on a 2 stroke penalty it sounds like? he should have waited for a rules official, but I can't believe his 1 foot putt wasn't given to him (though it appeared he didn't give his playing partner his either)

Well, the ball did move a millimeter or so, and he didn't replace it. Clearly the not replacing of the ball would have given him a tremendous advantage.

So, now you don't want people penalized for accidentally moving the ball and not penalized for failing to replace it?

Maybe it's not unreasonable to give guys a break for some inadvertent movement, but I don't see why we should excuse not knowing the rules. How does a player think they get to move the ball forward but get to leave it there? Makes no sense.

If he weren't such a hothead he'd have recognized there was a problem.

Sometimes the rules of golf could use a bit of common sense. To incur a 2 stroke penalty for something that would gain the player absolutely no advantage is ridiculous (another example is brushing a leaf in a hazard on your backswing. please).

I follow the rules, but some of them are a bit over the top.

I was listening to PGA Tour radio a week or so ago and the host was relating an Arnold Palmer story. Tiger Woods and Curtis Strange had complained to Arnold about autograph seekers. Arnold said they absolutely did not have to sign one autograph, ever again. All they had to do is go home, give up golf. Arnold said that as long as a professional golfer reaps the rewards of being in such a profession then he has a duty, a responsibility to the fans.

When you mix in the withdrawals and everything else, I think the format still isn't quite right. The original aim was to keep the big names in, yet McIlroy, Reed, Matsuyama, Spieth, Thomas all went out anyway, the first three out with a day to go.

Yes but they all played three days instead of one. that is the whole idea. the only other option i can think of is 54 holes of stroke play and a match play weekend. It works for the NCAA's.

So Hatton lost on a 2 stroke penalty it sounds like? he should have waited for a rules official, but I can't believe his 1 foot putt wasn't given to him (though it appeared he didn't give his playing partner his either)

Well, the ball did move a millimeter or so, and he didn't replace it. Clearly the not replacing of the ball would have given him a tremendous advantage.

So, now you don't want people penalized for accidentally moving the ball and not penalized for failing to replace it?

Maybe it's not unreasonable to give guys a break for some inadvertent movement, but I don't see why we should excuse not knowing the rules. How does a player think they get to move the ball forward but get to leave it there? Makes no sense.

Sometimes the rules of golf could use a bit of common sense. To incur a 2 stroke penalty for something that would gain the player absolutely no advantage is ridiculous (another example is brushing a leaf in a hazard on your backswing. please).

So who decides what is "absolutely no advantage"? The player? Can his playing partner dispute how much of an advantage or lack of an advantage it is? Is half an inch in a 30 foot putt an advantage? What about half an inch in a two foot putt?

What you have there is a big steaming pile of gray area. Now you have to worry about whether it's applied fairly, does Spieth get the same ruling as Joe Nobody? No closer to the hole is one of the basic rules of golf. Some rules may be suspect, but this isn't one of them. Closer is always an advantage.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

So who decides what is "absolutely no advantage"? The player? Can his playing partner dispute how much of an advantage or lack of an advantage it is? Is half an inch in a 30 foot putt an advantage? What about half an inch in a two foot putt?

What you have there is a big steaming pile of gray area. Now you have to worry about whether it's applied fairly, does Spieth get the same ruling as Joe Nobody? No closer to the hole is one of the basic rules of golf. Some rules may be suspect, but this isn't one of them. Closer is always an advantage.

Not really. I doubt a millimeter would have made that much of a difference. We aren't talking 3 feet, or even two inches. A simple millimeter...maybe the width of one of these letters, if not less. Or hitting a leaf in your backswing in a hazard...I can see how that would provide the golfer with a big advantage.

The rules of golf could do with a bit of common sense.

There are those who hold the rules as sacrosanct, as if they were conferred upon us by some unseen deity, and cannot be changed. In reality I think the rules of golf are the sports version of the IRS tax code.

It seems the USGA is doing its level best to drive people from the game...starting with the groove rule that had absolutely no impact on the professional golfer, but no doubt affected the average golfer. Not to mention the impact on the OEMs, who had to re-tool in order to meet the new specifications. I dropped my membership after that ruling and haven't been back since.

However, in fairness to the USGA, they seem to be aware there are problems and hopefully will address them with the proposed rules changes.

Back to the golf, looks like one of the few interesting match ups (Phil) will be well underway by the time coverage starts. ZJ v DJ could be really interesting.

Underwhelmed with this event so far. 36 holes of stroke play to start would be better in my opinion. Old format with out the minute you lose was better.

Back to the golf, looks like one of the few interesting match ups (Phil) will be well underway by the time coverage starts. ZJ v DJ could be really interesting.

Underwhelmed with this event so far. 36 holes of stroke play to start would be better in my opinion. Old format with out the minute you lose was better.

I agree on the Z / D match. I read an interview a year or so ago with Steve Williams. He was asked which player on Tour hardest to intimidate. His immediate reply was "Zach Johnson".

I agree on the Z / D match. I read an interview a year or so ago with Steve Williams. He was asked which player on Tour hardest to intimidate. His immediate reply was "Zach Johnson".

Just seems like he will have to be so precise, I look forward to watching him navigate the course. Hopefully it's not just getting shown putt after putt in the matches in the morning with the occasional par 3 tee shots.

Not really. I doubt a millimeter would have made that much of a difference. We aren't talking 3 feet, or even two inches. A simple millimeter...maybe the width of one of these letters, if not less. Or hitting a leaf in your backswing in a hazard...I can see how that would provide the golfer with a big advantage.

The rules of golf could do with a bit of common sense.

There are those who hold the rules as sacrosanct, as if they were conferred upon us by some unseen deity, and cannot be changed. In reality I think the rules of golf are the sports version of the IRS tax code.

It seems the USGA is doing its level best to drive people from the game...starting with the groove rule that had absolutely no impact on the professional golfer, but no doubt affected the average golfer. Not to mention the impact on the OEMs, who had to re-tool in order to meet the new specifications. I dropped my membership after that ruling and haven't been back since.

However, in fairness to the USGA, they seem to be aware there are problems and hopefully will address them with the proposed rules changes.

There's no common sense in saying that a ball can move "a smidge, but not two smidges" before it has to be replaced. Grey area's only lead to confusion and controversy. Especially in the light of a situation like this, where replacing the ball is about as small a demand one can place on a human being in competition. Just put the damn ball back, this isn't difficult.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Just seems like he will have to be so precise, I look forward to watching him navigate the course. Hopefully it's not just getting shown putt after putt in the matches in the morning with the occasional par 3 tee shots.

I agree! I also admire his discipline. He plays his game and doesn't try to "keep up" with other players.

I agree! I also admire his discipline. He plays his game and doesn't try to "keep up" with other players.

Modern day in his prime Justin Leonard (thats a compliment BTW)

I was listening to PGA Tour radio a week or so ago and the host was relating an Arnold Palmer story. Tiger Woods and Curtis Strange had complained to Arnold about autograph seekers. Arnold said they absolutely did not have to sign one autograph, ever again. All they had to do is go home, give up golf. Arnold said that as long as a professional golfer reaps the rewards of being in such a profession then he has a duty, a responsibility to the fans.

And that's maybe why Phil and Spieth sign thousands of them. They love the fans.

When you mix in the withdrawals and everything else, I think the format still isn't quite right. The original aim was to keep the big names in, yet McIlroy, Reed, Matsuyama, Spieth, Thomas all went out anyway, the first three out with a day to go.

Yes but they all played three days instead of one. that is the whole idea. the only other option i can think of is 54 holes of stroke play and a match play weekend. It works for the NCAA's.

That would be an improvement. A better solution is to eliminate the WGC match play event. Make it medal play.

I'm not surprised. Every time Zach tees it up he knows he is the short hitter. So he's become comfortable with that. It's normal for him.

Totally agree! My Mrs actually said about the incident, ' why is there no common sense involved in this game?' And she's right I think. Simply ask your playing partners if they thought any advantage had been gained by moving it 2mm, if they agree that there is no advantage, then just carry on! Obviously if a playing partner thinks there has been an advantage gained, then simply replace the ball where it was, and then carry on. This simplifies the rule, speeds up play, and negates the need for a rules official to be called in at every fa*t a player makes. It also transfers over well to the amateur game where no rules officials are present.

Come on R&A/USGA, get a grip with these daft unnecessarily complicated rules that just slow the game down and make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Bur seeing Hatton stomp off in a huff was, as usual, still funny though! :cheesy:

That would be an improvement. A better solution is to eliminate the WGC match play event. Make it medal play.

Like we already have for 51 other weeks? Where is the furor against weekend cut in stroke play tournaments?

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

Modern day in his prime Justin Leonard (thats a compliment BTW)

They both get crappy haircuts.