2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Eating at the turn.

#1 How many people have had this happen. Your in or behind a group and one or two guys orders a sandwich at the turn that has to be made. Second group comes into snack bar/grill grabs a quick drink hustles out the door only to be stopped by the two waiting on the tee saying their guys will be there in a minute.

I'm not a guy who will do this, but I have been in a few group that do this, I will always try to wave the group through. Very frustrating.

#2 You have a pretty empty course and a group that had teed off earlier, say 40 or 50 minutes ahead of your group and they stop to have lunch and jump to the tee right ahead of you and proceeds to hold you up the whole back nine.

Had this happen, talked to one of the guys while coming off 9th green. " We'll be out your way in a minute". Yeah right.

A quick stop for pre-made food and a drink is not grounds to lose position. However, when a group (or members of a group) stop and have food made or sit down for a meal at the turn, they are forfeiting their position on the course. Any groups coming up to 10 have the right-of-way when all members of the group who stopped have not yet arrived at the 10th tee.

Its common sense to allow the group behind your group to go ahead if you are going to stop for more than a few minutes at the turn, or if they choose not to stop.

But as we often see on the golf course, common sense is not so common.

• Like 1

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Sometimes I think all the rules in Golf are just preparing you to be calm and collected when you encounter all the rudeness and hostility you sometimes encounter...."We were driving in our cart and your ball hit our wheel!...You have to yell fore!"...."Ah I did yell fore and you didn't hear it because you were driving and carts have roofs for a reason"..... :swoon:

I usually stop for a hot dog and a beer at the turn, but I would never expect anyone to wait for me. If I am leaving the course I have given up my position

On a side note, I can't play a round without a hot dog at the turn. And it's probably the only time I ever eat hot dogs.

I don't know what it is, but after 9 holes, a golf course hot dog tastes like lobster to me

I usually stop for a hot dog and a beer at the turn, but I would never expect anyone to wait for me. If I am leaving the course I have given up my position

On a side note, I can't play a round without a hot dog at the turn. And it's probably the only time I ever eat hot dogs.

I don't know what it is, but after 9 holes, a golf course hot dog tastes like lobster to me

Agreed !! gotta have my dog and beer at the turn or it just doesnt feel right plus there are a few courses around here that actually have pretty good hot dogs as well not just the cheap valupack dogs

I don't know what it is, but after 9 holes, a golf course hot dog tastes like lobster to mention

Hot dogs are a treat like you say especially on the golf course at the turn. Usually it doesn't take more than a few minutes to go in and come out with a hot dog and beverage in your hand and make it over to the 10th tee before the group behind you catches up. Those who make special orders that have to be prepared while they wait are usually a problem and should allow others to play through.

I don't know what it is, but after 9 holes, a golf course hot dog tastes like lobster to mention

Hot dogs are a treat like you say especially on the golf course at the turn. Usually it doesn't take more than a few minutes to go in and come out with a hot dog and beverage in your hand and make it over to the 10th tee before the group behind you catches up. Those who make special orders that have to be prepared while they wait are usually a problem and should allow others to play through.

Yeah like those damn guys who want made to order club sandwiches!!

Eat the pre made sandwiches, that have been sitting out all morning, with the soggy bread from wet lettuce...and like it!

Or order a hot dog like a real man

They should be thrown off the course for holding up my round.

It's like when your at the Mexican restaurant and you need another margarita, but some douscher has the waitress making fresh guacamole at their table

My buddy and I went out for a mid afternoon round. We looked at the local golf course's tee sheets online and went to a course that was basically open all afternoon. We were walking and had the whole front nine to ourselves. We noticed another twosome a hole behind us and a single behind them. The course ahead of us was wide open. As we were walking from nine green straight across to the tenth white tee these four guys in carts come flying over to the tenth tee from the club house,lock the brakes up on the carts,and one guy jumps out quickly and tees up his ball on the pro tees. He hits his nice worm burner a little pass the white tees as we are 20yds from the white tees. I look back and say this is the tenth tee and number one is over there figuring that didn't know where one tee was. Another guy is now on the tee and is ready to hit. One of the other guys tells us they had been in the club house eating and drinking for several hrs at the turn and they were finishing their round now. They needed to hurry up and don't worry they play fast and basically tells us they were playing through us because they teed off before us and were ahead of us on the tee sheet. It was evident they were not going to let us ahead of them and they teed off. The first guy even hits another tee shot because he tells his buddies he had rushed his first tee shot. By the time these yahoos were clear for us to hit we had the twosome behind us with us saying wtf just happened. I explained to them and they couldn't believe it either. By the 11th hole the single was with us and we were playing a fivesome waiting on these clowns the whole back nine. It's a shame some people have to be like this. I thought they were rude and inconsiderate.

My buddy and I went out for a mid afternoon round. We looked at the local golf course's tee sheets online and went to a course that was basically open all afternoon. We were walking and had the whole front nine to ourselves. We noticed another twosome a hole behind us and a single behind them. The course ahead of us was wide open. As we were walking from nine green straight across to the tenth white tee these four guys in carts come flying over to the tenth tee from the club house,lock the brakes up on the carts,and one guy jumps out quickly and tees up his ball on the pro tees. He hits his nice worm burner a little pass the white tees as we are 20yds from the white tees. I look back and say this is the tenth tee and number one is over there figuring that didn't know where one tee was. Another guy is now on the tee and is ready to hit. One of the other guys tells us they had been in the club house eating and drinking for several hrs at the turn and they were finishing their round now. They needed to hurry up and don't worry they play fast and basically tells us they were playing through us because they teed off before us and were ahead of us on the tee sheet. It was evident they were not going to let us ahead of them and they teed off. The first guy even hits another tee shot because he tells his buddies he had rushed his first tee shot. By the time these yahoos were clear for us to hit we had the twosome behind us with us saying wtf just happened. I explained to them and they couldn't believe it either. By the 11th hole the single was with us and we were playing a fivesome waiting on these clowns the whole back nine. It's a shame some people have to be like this. I thought they were rude and inconsiderate.

They saw you on the 9th green, finished their drinks, paid their bill, and rushed out to the 10th tee before you got there.

Courses that aren't ready to serve players quickly at the turn p me off in an out of proportion amount.

Some courses have to be smarter.

I was playing recently, and came to the 10th with the group in front of us just driving away.

We go in just to get beers/granola bars/candy bars. No "food".

The bar girl is serving guys who are heading out to 1. We waited so long the group in front of us were walking off the green when we got to the tee and the group behind us was at the tee waiting for us to come out.

I've seen places that have a window where carts can almost pull right up and they have a sign that says, "Players making the turn have priority". Everyone gets it. No one's feelings are hurt.

Funny "turn shack" story : In Baltimore, there was one course where 9 didn't finish at the clubhouse. Well, this course isn't in the best part of town either. The turn shack was getting robbed so much that they reversed the 9's so the turn would come by the clubhouse. So now, the turn shack is closed, and you need to walk past a couple greens to get to the first tee (the old 10th). That was the first course I ever played in Baltimore. This was 1996. While playing, a bunch of kids came tearing across the golf course on dirt bikes. I was like, "CityGame, you ain't in Maine any more."

I know that sounds like a nightmare, but try getting a tee time there on a weekend. . .

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

This brings up two pet peeves of mine at my club. First, it can be hit or miss when the half way house is open. Yesterday it was open and today it was closed. We teed off at 10:30 today and I realized on the 9th tee that it was closed. To get anything to eat or drink, you need to go to the bar. They are completely unprepared for people coming in off the course. I am rushing because I don't want to foul up the pace of play but I need to eat something at that time of day. The second is even more maddening. A group will leave the ninth green then drive in to use the ladies room. By the time they get back out, the next group is exiting the 9th green. The group in front then goes to the halfway house to order their food. Order before you go to the ladies room!! The last time this happened to me, the ladies nicely offered to let us through, but then we would not be able to get anything to eat. I asked her why they didn't order prior to going to the clubhouse and she just looked at me like I was a jerk.

I used to play every other Saturday at a particular course and they always had a gal working and outside grill with hamburgers, dogs, Brats, and chicken sandwiches already cooked and staying hot on the grill allowing the golfer at the turn to pick up a quick burger and a drink in about 2 minutes. Nothing more tasty than a burger grilled outside and it never held up the course, it was really a perfect situation that I think more courses could take advantage of.

I used to play every other Saturday at a particular course and they always had a gal working and outside grill with hamburgers, dogs, Brats, and chicken sandwiches already cooked and staying hot on the grill allowing the golfer at the turn to pick up a quick burger and a drink in about 2 minutes. Nothing more tasty than a burger grilled outside and it never held up the course, it was really a perfect situation that I think more courses could take advantage of.

We've done that a few times at the course where I work and its always been a hit. Not sure why we don't do it more. :dntknw:

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

This brings up two pet peeves of mine at my club. First, it can be hit or miss when the half way house is open. Yesterday it was open and today it was closed. We teed off at 10:30 today and I realized on the 9th tee that it was closed. To get anything to eat or drink, you need to go to the bar. They are completely unprepared for people coming in off the course. I am rushing because I don't want to foul up the pace of play but I need to eat something at that time of day. The second is even more maddening. A group will leave the ninth green then drive in to use the ladies room. By the time they get back out, the next group is exiting the 9th green. The group in front then goes to the halfway house to order their food. Order before you go to the ladies room!! The last time this happened to me, the ladies nicely offered to let us through, but then we would not be able to get anything to eat. I asked her why they didn't order prior to going to the clubhouse and she just looked at me like I was a jerk.

This is totally a case of the course not being prepared still. Halfway house is closed - dogs and sandwiches are ready in the bar. Someone comes in to order - "this today's menu for the turn". +1000000000000 for the posts above about the grill outside. Put short shorts on a 19 year old hottie and have her grill food. cha freaking ching.

There is a course we play that grills outside.The food always smells so good. We are the type that will head straight to ten and grab a burger after we are done our round. I never been someone to try and wolf down a burger while playing golf. I like the idea of burgers on the grill but we still run into problems there. Either the group with the food sits at the tee box and we wait while they eat their food or we might get there ahead of them and we get "really did we take that long?" Not to cause a problem we let them go ahead of us which ends up with us waiting while they eat either before they tee off or when they get to their balls in the fairway. I have no problem with someone grabbing something to eat but if others are ready to play through let them. While we are teeing off they could be enjoying their burger. We probably run into more confrontations than usual because 99% of the time we go straight to 10 from 9.

We actually had a group of women confront us in the 10th fairway one time and wanted to know why we continued on without going into the clubhouse and asking them if it was ok to play through. There were nice out door bathrooms at the turn, a snack shack at the turn, and of course a nice dining area inside the clubhouse. I would have never thought of going into the clubhouse to track someone down to see if we could play through. After doing all of that the group behind us would have been in the fairway on ten. LOL

There is a course we play that grills outside.The food always smells so good.

Trilogy Golf Club at Vistancia in the North West corner of Phoenix. A typical housing development golf course but at the end of the par 5 9th hole they have a great outside grill.

AND they always grill onions ..... lots of onions. The smell of grilled onions always seem to make its way down the 9th fairway.

I have been known to pickup after my third shot and head straight to the grill.

I have been