Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

1 hour ago, soberD said:

$60 to walk on a weekend.  For that money you can play twice on some excellent courses around here.  

I played league there last night.  The smell admittedly isn't as bad on the back

Got to ask, what courses? 

I have played Shepherd's over a dozen times. The smell has been bad only twice. The greens have been very good to excellent every time I have played it. 

Edited by TheBear95

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

20 hours ago, TheBear95 said:

Got to ask, what courses? 

I have played Shepherd's over a dozen times. The smell has been bad only twice. The greens have been very good to excellent every time I have played it. 

I love shepherds but they moved up market, cut down the fescue between holes (and let you drive through it) and let the greens get slow.  No longer the reasonably priced challenge it was 10 years ago.  

Cheaper:

1. Bonnie Brook 

2. Ives grove (red/blue)

3. Johnson Park

4. Brighton Dale (Blue is much harder than White)

5. Lake Bluff

6. Foss Park

Comparable:

1. Pine Meadow 

2. Stonewall

3. Thunderhawk

2 hours ago, soberD said:

I love shepherds but they moved up market, cut down the fescue between holes (and let you drive through it) and let the greens get slow.  No longer the reasonably priced challenge it was 10 years ago.  

Cheaper:

1. Bonnie Brook 

2. Ives grove (red/blue)

3. Johnson Park

5. Lake Bluff

6. Foss Park

Comparable:

1. Pine Meadow 

2. Stonewall

3. Thunderhawk

why are you leaving Ives grove white off the list?

3 hours ago, soberD said:

Cheaper:

1. Bonnie Brook 

2. Ives grove (red/blue)

3. Johnson Park

5. Lake Bluff

6. Foss Park

Comparable:

1. Pine Meadow 

2. Stonewall

3. Thunderhawk

You should check out the weekend walking rate of the comparable courses you listed. At $59, Shepherd's is a bargain in comparison. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

On 8/4/2022 at 7:47 AM, soberD said:

Cheaper:

1. Bonnie Brook 

2. Ives grove (red/blue)

3. Johnson Park

5. Lake Bluff

6. Foss Park

Comparable:

1. Pine Meadow 

2. Stonewall

3. Thunderhawk

The “Comparables” are kind of head scratchers. Stonewall is $89 on weekends (no walking rate until twilight), Thunderhawk is $77 to walk ($62 after 1:00), and Pine Meadow is $70-$78 ($59-$65 after 12:00). I’d say Shepherd’s comparable courses in price are Washington County ($65), Evergreen ($50), Bittersweet ($65), and Glen Erin ($59 with cart but who knows what the walking rate is there since it varies from $9 to $30). That said/typed, I’m not a huge Shepherd’s fan either. It desperately needs a combo tee and, yes, I realize I can make my own but I’d prefer one with an official rating and slope instead of just winging it. Also, when the wind is directly out of the South, the course smells like a diaper barge. It’s very rare for the wind to be directly out of the South but when it does, the course is unplayable. 

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

On 7/26/2022 at 12:18 PM, Sooner_Heath said:

Anyone here know much about The Club at Strawberry Creek? Going on golf trip in September and we usually have 1-1.5 he drive each day for golf from where we stay. It’s a little under 2hr drive from us but one of the guys can get us on thru his club. When he talked to their pro he said “it’s the best course in Wisconsin, better condition than anything you’ll find at Kohler” “best kept secret in American Golf”. 

So is this guy full of it or is this a course we definitely want to play while we’re there?

It's been many years since I've played it (played it before it was private), but Strawberry Creek is holding our State Mid-Am Championship in September this year, so I inquired about the course to the former State Tournament Director and he echoed this statement. He said it is one of the best conditioned courses in the state. And not to diminish any of the Kohler courses (they're excellent) but the best conditioned courses in our area will be the private country clubs like the likes of Bluemound CC, Ozaukee CC, Milwaukee CC, Pine Hills, etc. and he said it's as good, if not better conditioned than those places. Bottom line -- from what I've heard, you'll be in for a treat. Play well!

• Thanks 1

Any area recommendations for an Airbnb in Milwaukee? Never been before. Playing next month on a Saturday at Kohler, and Sunday morning at Erin Hills and then flying out. Planning on leaving the Sheboygan Airbnb Saturday and getting a little closer to Milwaukee and the airports for Saturday night.

-Thinking North/NW/West Milwaukee 

-Safe area, good suburb 

-Not too far from Milwaukee as we might go explore after our golf Saturday night

- 8 guys, 22-25 in age

Edited by FuzzyKnuckles

2 hours ago, FuzzyKnuckles said:

Any area recommendations for an Airbnb in Milwaukee? Never been before. Playing next month on a Saturday at Kohler, and Sunday morning at Erin Hills and then flying out. Planning on leaving the Sheboygan Airbnb Saturday and getting a little closer to Milwaukee and the airports for Saturday night.

-Thinking North/NW/West Milwaukee 

-Safe area, good suburb 

-Not too far from Milwaukee as we might go explore after our golf Saturday night

- 8 guys, 22-25 in age

Check out the Boho Ranch.  On NW side of Milwaukee.  Quiet neighborhood with great freeway access.  Can’t recall if 8 will fit.  But it was clean, a decent price and hosts were super nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m headed to Sand Valley with a 8 person group in early October and have a couple questions.

1. How long will an 8 person round at the sandbox take? Website says pace of play is around 2 hours, but wasn’t sure if that applies to an 8-some. On our first day we have a 10:42am sand box tee time and then 1:15 tee time at mammoth dunes. Not sure if this is too tight. 
2. Anyone know if the resort offers any type of soft cooler or something for the sandbox? Some of my group will want to booze a little on the sandbox, but needed to figure out if we should bring our own soft cooler to carry beers.

3. We are figuring out what tees to play. We have a wide range of handicaps, probably skewed towards higher handicaps. Do the courses play shorter than their yardage? We are mostly accustomed to softer course conditions in the northeast.

thanks.

On 8/3/2022 at 11:06 AM, cassel191919 said:

Heading up to Lawsonia next week for the first time wondering if anyone has played lately and what kind of conditions I might expect?

How did you enjoy it? I'm bias as I live right off one of the holes on the woodlands course.

• Like 2

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

13 hours ago, bcc624 said:

We are figuring out what tees to play. We have a wide range of handicaps, probably skewed towards higher handicaps. Do the courses play shorter than their yardage? We are mostly accustomed to softer course conditions in the northeast.

First time, I played one tee up/forward of my normal yardage, which was fine but realized with firm and fast conditions (relative to what I'm used to) normal yardage was just fine for me, which I played the next day and the next time back.  They have combo tees as well.  IMO picking one tee for a group of 8 could be a mistake (not sure if that is what you are after or if you are asking individually), unless it makes sense to do so based on skill level/etc. Plenty of room off the tee on both courses.  Have a blast!

16 minutes ago, ode said:

First time, I played one tee up/forward of my normal yardage, which was fine but realized with firm and fast conditions (relative to what I'm used to) normal yardage was just fine for me, which I played the next day and the next time back.  They have combo tees as well.  IMO picking one tee for a group of 8 could be a mistake (not sure if that is what you are after or if you are asking individually), unless it makes sense to do so based on skill level/etc. Plenty of room off the tee on both courses.  Have a blast!

Thanks, that answered my question. Most of the group plays like 6,100-6,400. I was looking at the orange/sand combos for SV and then was surprised how low the rating and slope were for mammoth dunes. We have two rounds at mammoth so we will probably play first ones at combo length. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, collje26 said:

How did you enjoy it? I'm bias as I live right off one of the holes on the woodlands course.

I loved the links, the green complexes were incredible. The back 9 was one of the better 9's I have played. The woodlands was very good, I really enjoyed most of the holes (hated one of the par 5s on the back lol). I am looking forward to getting back there next time I am in Wisconsin.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cassel191919 said:

I loved the links, the green complexes were incredible. The back 9 was one of the better 9's I have played. The woodlands was very good, I really enjoyed most of the holes (hated one of the par 5s on the back lol). I am looking forward to getting back there next time I am in Wisconsin.

The back 9 on the links is all world with having 3 of each par 3,4,5's. The woodlands par 5's leave alot to be desired pending how far one hits it you might hit driver off of 1 par 5 and that being the last one.

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

38 minutes ago, collje26 said:

The back 9 on the links is all world with having 3 of each par 3,4,5's. The woodlands par 5's leave alot to be desired pending how far one hits it you might hit driver off of 1 par 5 and that being the last one.

I am dumb and like to hit driver all of the time, the course took driver out of my hand a lot. Should just be smart and play it the way its meant to be played, but smart isn't me.

8 hours ago, bcc624 said:

Thanks, that answered my question. Most of the group plays like 6,100-6,400. I was looking at the orange/sand combos for SV and then was surprised how low the rating and slope were for mammoth dunes. We have two rounds at mammoth so we will probably play first ones at combo length. 

Both courses tend to play shorter than the stated yardage for two reasons. First, your drives roll out a lot longer on those fairways if you avoid the sand. And secondly, it’s almost always a good call to club down on your approach shots as they tend to release on the greens quite a ways as well. The first few times I played the courses I played orange tees on both. Now I just play all the way back. If you normally play 6100-6400 I think you will be more than okay on the mixed tee or just straight orange. 

On the sandbox/mammoth teetime note. You may finish in time for the teetime at mammoth but take care to watch the clock. The sandbox is located right next to mammoth clubhouse so the walk over is fast and easy. I’m sure if you guys had to finish your sandbox round after your mammoth round the pro shop would be more than happy to help. 

Last note is to be careful with the booze if it’s a hot one out there. Shouldn’t be in October but every once in a while it happens. That course gets hot with a high sun and dehydration can be dangerous out there. I am by no means saying don’t drink.. just mix in a water here and there.

13 minutes ago, Lefty96 said:

Both courses tend to play shorter than the stated yardage for two reasons. First, your drives roll out a lot longer on those fairways if you avoid the sand. And secondly, it’s almost always a good call to club down on your approach shots as they tend to release on the greens quite a ways as well. The first few times I played the courses I played orange tees on both. Now I just play all the way back. If you normally play 6100-6400 I think you will be more than okay on the mixed tee or just straight orange. 

On the sandbox/mammoth teetime note. You may finish in time for the teetime at mammoth but take care to watch the clock. The sandbox is located right next to mammoth clubhouse so the walk over is fast and easy. I’m sure if you guys had to finish your sandbox round after your mammoth round the pro shop would be more than happy to help. 

Last note is to be careful with the booze if it’s a hot one out there. Shouldn’t be in October but every once in a while it happens. That course gets hot with a high sun and dehydration can be dangerous out there. I am by no means saying don’t drink.. just mix in a water here and there.

Thank you for the excellent insight!

On 8/23/2022 at 8:33 AM, collje26 said:

Which hole?   Hopefully its one of those really nice lake houses near the green on (forgot the hole #, maybe 6?)

We had a house across the lake and then sold it a few years ago.  Was a member at Lawsonia until then.  Miss it so much.  My absolute favorite place on Earth is the links course.

On 8/23/2022 at 12:18 PM, collje26 said:

and on #18 the advice off the tee is to hit it as far left as you can while still staying on the fairway.  You honestly can never be too left on that fairway.  YOu can be left of the 150 and still not have a look at the green.

6 hours ago, zer0 said:

Which hole?   Hopefully its one of those really nice lake houses near the green on (forgot the hole #, maybe 6?)

We had a house across the lake and then sold it a few years ago.  Was a member at Lawsonia until then.  Miss it so much.  My absolute favorite place on Earth is the links course.

We just built it off of 17, it's parallel right of 15's green. The lake property is insanely over priced in my opinion and the taxes are insane. My wife's family has some property on the lake and I think the taxes are around $60-$80K yearly.

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

5 hours ago, zer0 said:

and on #18 the advice off the tee is to hit it as far left as you can while still staying on the fairway.  You honestly can never be too left on that fairway.  YOu can be left of the 150 and still not have a look at the green.

You'll have to come back! They built a new green and now it's a cake walk par 5.

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

14 hours ago, collje26 said:

You'll have to come back! They built a new green and now it's a cake walk par 5.

really?  Damn, all the good stuff happens after I leave.     Sold our house in September 2019 and haven't been back since.      Would love to see how #18 looks with the new green.  I take it they moved it towards the left and you can now see it from the fairway?

14 hours ago, collje26 said:

We just built it off of 17, it's parallel right of 15's green. The lake property is insanely over priced in my opinion and the taxes are insane. My wife's family has some property on the lake and I think the taxes are around $60-$80K yearly.

I know the area.  Seem to remember a couple new houses being built up there in the last 5 years or so.   Very nice.

10 minutes ago, zer0 said:

really?  Damn, all the good stuff happens after I leave.     Sold our house in September 2019 and haven't been back since.      Would love to see how #18 looks with the new green.  I take it they moved it towards the left and you can now see it from the fairway?

I know the area.  Seem to remember a couple new houses being built up there in the last 5 years or so.   Very nice.

You are correct. Moved it straight away. It’s like 520 now. They have removed a ton of dead trees that have allowed some wind to affect the holes more specifically on 4,9,10,18. The 18th green sticks out like a sore thumb unfortunately. I’m hoping with the amount of revenue they have gotten they redo the greens on the woodlands at some point. 

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

On 8/23/2022 at 12:57 PM, cassel191919 said:

I am dumb and like to hit driver all of the time, the course took driver out of my hand a lot. Should just be smart and play it the way its meant to be played, but smart isn't me.

Heading up in a few weeks, how is the course meant to be played? I’m also not a smart golfer lol

On 9/5/2022 at 12:00 AM, FuzzyKnuckles said:

Heading up in a few weeks, how is the course meant to be played? I’m also not a smart golfer lol

there are several holes where driver isn't the play, but I did it anyways. One hole in particular is a short par 5 with water left and just past the fairway, I wanted an eagle chance so I hit driver and iron was the play. This is on the woodlands, on the links driver is fine for almost every hole.

• Like 1

Going to head up to Erin Hills Saturday to watch some of the Mid Amateur tournament with my wife.   I wasn't sure they were allowing galleries but they apparently are.   I figured this is an opportune time to walk the course with my wife and also hit the clubhouse on the way out to check out merch.  Weather looks nice and should be a beautiful walk.   I love that course and thought that this would be way better than coming back in 2025 when they host the US Women's Open.  

• Like 4

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

Erin Hills was an awesome experience and if you have any interest in going this week I wouldn't hesitate.  There were less than 100 cars there on Saturday when we left.  You can walk on the fairways and follow any group you like.   The course is in gorgeous shape.  

• Like 2

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado